Reunion

Encounters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyung, are you not coming?”

 

Lately, Jongin’s attitude has been under the weather, rehearsing for their concert and all. Taemin was the first one to notice, when they went to eat at the SM café one night.

It was an ordinary day in Seoul early December. Vendors are gradually building their little stalls by the streets because it was peak month, consumers are starting to buy their Christmas presents and planning out big celebrations with their loved ones. However, that is not an option for Jongin. No, not at all. Super M activities has just ended last week, but this dude is clearly not in the mood for some samgyupsal or having rest period.

Jongin stood up from the couch after taking a break from his impromptu self-rehearsal. He grabbed his Gucci bag from the DJ booth and turned the lights off before he went on his way out. Hours ago, he had texted his closest friends to come over the building for a little bro-time. Along the way, Jongin enjoys the strange quietness of the building, which was usually filled with SM artists’ music and booming comeback songs along the halls while his fellow idols rehearse. There was one room with the lights on at practice room six, though. He let out a big sigh, he was starving.

He was scrolling through his phone when he heard a door click softly. Small, soft footsteps sounded behind him. Jongin turned his head to see Seulgi. He internally tries to calm his suddenly fast beating heart as he fixes his face into a neutral expression.

“Annyeong haseyo, sunbae-nim!” Always the sunshine, Kang Seulgi is. Her designated color really becomes her. Jongin remembers how strong the cringe was when he bumped into her when he debuted. She would always bow really low and greet him formally as if he were some superior. They would always laugh about it and drop the honorifics after. They were good friends then.

Things were different this time.

Jongin bows his head shortly before moving out of her way. He slowed his steps a little, though. He’s waiting for her to say something to him. Secretly, Jongin longed to hear her voice again.

Three years after his debut, he slowly distanced himself from Seulgi. He didn’t want to interfere with her own debut with dating rumors, their company has been through enough hell for that. Still, Seulgi had no trouble interacting and smiling at him at award shows where expertly hidden, expensive Canon cameras are practically shooting lasers at them. Troubled by her naivety, Jongin started to ignore her. At first, he worried that his initiative might drive their friendship apart. But with time, he grew accustomed to it especially because his schedules do not overlap with hers frequently. When he started dating Soojung, Jongin started to prioritize his relationship with her. When they broke up, he threw himself into his work harder than ever. He spent more time with his guy friends as a part of the healing process.

 

Jongin was drinking with his EXO brothers when Junmyeon, who sat beside him, nudged his shoulder. They were in a pub nearby their dorm, Red Flavor blasting in the background.

"That's the fourth time I've heard that song today, have you called Seulgi? Tell her to get us tickets to their concert!" Although he wanted to, Jongin still felt uncomfortable knowing that he was responsible for their broken friendship.

"Hyung, I don't think I'll go. Just call her yourself," he said. He felt his friend staring at him for a long time, before taking out his phone. Junmyeon placed Seulgi on speakerphone.

 

"Suho-oppa! I was just about to text you. I've just told my manager to reserve tickets for you. Can you come?"

 

He listened to his friends tease Seulgi about her sudden rise in popularity and congratulate her for her group's well-deserved success. Some apologized because they have individual schedules to tend to, in which the girl made them swore to attend at their next concert. Finally, Junmyeon, Chanyeol, and Sehun told her they were sure to attend the concert. Seulgi was evidently excited.

Jongin can't help but sulk as she hasn't called for him. He thinks she's probably giving him the same treatment he'd given her for the past two years.

 

As group and solo schedules continue to stack on top of each other, Jongin did his best to keep up with his celebrity life. He didn't know how he squeezed in the idea of dating once again when he noticed Jennie, but he tried to make it work. Tried, being the keyword.

They were good together, Jongin supposed. But he knew there was something lacking every time they went out. Jongin felt exposed every time he was with Jennie. He knew how big her fanbase was so he always felt conscious of a stray camera pointing at them from a far distance. The girl was not helping either. She was sweet but she also depended too much on him, as if he held the entire world in his hands. He felt like he always had to come up with something for their date. That Paris visit was a disappointingly generic idea because the city just screamed romance. It was the best backup because he couldn’t think of anything. It stressed Jongin out, balancing so many activities at the same time. He barely had time to spend with his friends. In the end, he was the one who called it off.

When he tuned in to an awards show in January, he watched Seulgi attentively during her performance. He missed watching different performances during awards shows, but given the untimely release of his "dating" news, their manager decided hat a brief absence might be for the best.

As he scrolled down his Instagram feed, Jongin opened a post by some fan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter