One

Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

8 years ago

 

I had never really noticed Seungyoon before that night. It was as though he didn’t exist, and suddenly, he was everywhere. 

 

I’d just bailed on the house party still in full swing behind me. Weaving between the cars crammed into the parking lot behind Seunghoon-hyung’s house, I tapped out a text to Jinu-hyung. As tonight’s designated driver, it was my responsibility to get Jinu back to our dorms across campus in one mangled piece. My message told him to call or text me when he was ready to go. The way he and Seunghoon, had been tequila-soaked dirty dancing before they linked hands and tripped up the stairs to his room, he might not be calling me until tomorrow. I chuckled over the thought of the short walk of shame he’d endure from the front porch to my car, if so.

 

I was digging for the keys in my pocket when I heard him.

 

“Sorry, I’m really not interested.” 

 

I didn’t recognize who he was but curiosity had me following the voices. I turned around a corner and saw a guy with his back to his car, and another much bigger guy in front of him with each arm on either sides of his shoulders.

 

“What's the matter? Am I not good enough for you?” The bigger guy was obviously drunk. As I walked nearer, I realized he was on the football team. The other guy had his back to me so I couldn’t really see his face. He seemed surprisingly calm for someone being harassed. He almost sounded bored when he spoke again.

 

“Seriously, get off me and walk away.”

 

The football guy laughed, “Playing hard to get, I like that.” He grabbed the guy’s chin and that’s when I step in.

 

“Hey. He said go away.” I said while stepping from the shadows. Both their necks turned to look at me. I finally see that the smaller guy was Seungyoon from my batch. I’ve never spoken to him but everybody knows who he is. Musical genius, straight A student, filthy rich. He only looked slightly surprised. No relief whatsoever that I came to his rescue.

 

“Song Mino?” Seungyoon asked and now I’m the one surprised that he knows me.

 

The football guy looked from Seungyoon to me. “What are you, his boyfriend?” He asked but he finally took his hands off Seungyoon. 

 

“If I was, you’d be on the floor right now.” I glared at him and I didn’t expect the edge to my voice. I just really hate motherers like this guy.

 

He stepped back while muttering something like he’ll get back at me or whatever. He turned around and wobbled away. I doubt he’d remember much the next day.

 

“Thanks I guess.” Seungyoon told me while fixing the collar of his shirt.

 

“You guess?” I asked him, amused.

 

“I think I could’ve handled that. But I appreciate not having to get my hands dirty.” Seungyoon tells me with a straight face and I couldn’t help but laugh. He was so skinny, how can he even take that guy on. I let it slide anyway.

 

“Well, you’re welcome. Did you know that guy? Should we report him? I can be a witness.” I offered. I walked over to him to check for any signs of injury.

 

“Oh he will be reported for sure. If he does that to me, I’m sure he can do it to more people and we can’t have that. And no, I don’t really know him.” 

 

“He’s on the football team. I didn’t know he liked..guys.” I said, thinking out loud. I was sure I saw him with girls before.

 

“Maybe that’s why he said I’m too pretty to be a guy and that”  he made quotation marks with his fingers, “your lips look better than all the girls I kissed.” He then shuddered after. I guess he was affected after all and I felt really bad for him. I looked over and I couldn’t help checking it out, he does have nice lips. I quickly shook my head as I erased that thought in my mind because I don’t want to be anything like that jerk.

 

“Hey, you okay?” Seungyoon looked at me, concern on his face. 

 

“Yeah, it’s nothing.”

 

“I’m Seungyoon by the way.” He offered his hand to me and I looked over at him to see if he was joking. Did he really think I did not know him? I took his hand anyway.

 

“I know who you are. I’m surprised you know who I am.” I told him. Seungyoon looked surprised for a second and then he laughed. I was about to ask him why he was laughing when I realized he smelled faintly like alcohol.

 

“Hey are you drunk?” I asked him.

 

“Only a little.” He told me in a small voice, like it was our little secret. After that he seemed to think he no longer had to act sober so he let go of the pretense and then laughed some more. I hate to admit that it’s...cute. I also realized how extremely dangerous it was for him to be alone here.

“Why are you even standing here alone when you’re drunk? No wonder that guy is-”

 

“Hey. Victim blaming.”

 

“..a jerk and I really should’ve kicked his .” I dunno why thinking about that guy harassing a drunk Seun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter