Now It Was The Rain's

An Ode For You

Hey girl,

Why are you silent?

I don't want the mystery

So please talk to me

And save me from misery

 

The next day I went there at around four pm so I could finish my job early. I haven't slept because of the thought that I would be doing this typing job for four more days with a man that was too scary to be with.

As usual my manager stayed for a while and he and Nico chatted before he went to be with the other members. Nico was unusually dressed, suit and all, and I contemplated if I should call my manager back because it seemed he has something to do somewhere.

 

“Are you going somewhere?” I asked when he sat at the couch. He nodded but tried to smile.

“Don't worry, Rachelle will be here in a moment. I called her a while ago so she could guide you with the script.”

“I thought she already left Korea yesterday...” It was intended to stay in my mind, but lips voiced it out.

“Who told you?” Nico asked. I only shrugged and didn't answer him. Nico didn't budge me for the answer and went to his room.

 

Like Nico had said Rachelle came to his house before he finished packing. Today she was wearing casual shorts and maroon shirt with the neck ed, showing some of her collarbone and the unusual pendant of her necklace. She had nothing but a belt bag and some, maybe important, papers in her hand. She greeted me and talked to Nico for some time while I continued my job. After a while Nico decided to go, which left me and Rachelle.

She sat on the longer couch and started reading through her material, and I couldn't do anything but stare at her. She never talked to me or whatsoever, but I also didn't feel that I was making her feel uncomfortable. She just looked at the papers seriously, highlighter in one hand and her phone on the other. Of course she was here to check on the progress of the script, so every now and then she was looking at me to see if I'm working or not.

She's so different from yesterday. I knew we only met briefly, but back there her eyes showed a myriad of emotions but mainly happiness when she looked at me. But now...

It was a bit annoying. Why isn't she making cute gestures and talking to me like other ladies do, or just smile like she did yesterday? Or maybe feel a bit of awkwardness because she is alone with a guy like me? She's so comfortable, all too comfortable. Am I not that handsome for her (because I'm sure I am)—or man for her? Are those papers and this script more interesting than me?

But I couldn't stop looking at her when she was not checking on me. Her almond-shaped eyes were moving left and right and back, her lips reading the words silently like she was reciting prayers, and she only smirks when she finds something interesting (which is, unluckily, not me).

 

Halfway through her paper her head moved up to my direction, and this time she caught me staring at her. I didn't know if I blushed out of embarrassment, but still I tried to calm and coolly smile at her. She cocked her head a bit to the right, maybe contemplating what my smile meant (which only meant, “This is just me trying to be cool”). She didn't smile, instead her serious face contorted into a frown.

 

“Can't you focus? You're into page quotas, right?” Suddenly she asked in formal Korean. There, she asked it. I know she's famous, but how dare she not see me? I raised my brow and scoffed.

“Yeah. Twelve pages per hour in four hours. I don't mean to ask this, but is this a little absurd? Asking for me to do this typing job when you could do it by yourselves?” I suddenly blurted out. She looked surprised for a second, but like a very good actress, her reaction was suppressed after.

“I and Nico are not really good with Hangul in text, so we can't write as fast as a native. Besides you agreed. You could've said no back there.”

“Jesus, I know.” I nearly cursed myself. I went back to staring at the brittle paper on my lap. I knew I was wrong here and she just stated a mere fact, but still I could feel the tension seeping through the walls of Nico's house, and anytime soon one of us would explode. Because now maybe she thinks how jerk I am. “I really didn't mean it. I'm sorry.” I said when I mustered enough courage. “When did you write this? I mean the book.” I don't find reading good for my health, but I cannot avoid it since I was redoing the script.

 

She didn't answer right away, and I thought she wouldn't, but after some seconds she said, “When I was in college taking up my second course.” Rachelle's voice was timid but I heard happiness in it. That was the time I looked up and saw that there was a small smile on her face.

“You still feel happy about it.”

“I do.” She agreed. I didn't know but I smiled.

“Yeah, I think you still should. This storyline is great. Considering you wrote it what? A few years ago?”

She touched her necklace and raised her brow as she looked at me. “You're reading it?”

I just smiled and nodded. “Nico isn't here, so I don't really need to concentrate on page quotas, do I?”

“Actually, you need to.” She smiled teasingly.

“Hey!” I almost laughed. Almost, since I remembered something. “Right, how are you and Nico? He was angry at you yesterday.”

“Ah, he was angry, but not at me. He was venting out because he was just worried sick about my work being doubled. Yesterday he was going on with 'Are you going to split you're body in half? Rewriting that goddamn script and writing a novel at the same time?' Lines like that.” She shrugged and smiled at me. “It wasn't a fight at all, you don't have to worry about us.”

 

In the end I mistook that scene as a fight, but I won't consider it as unlucky mistake. Some mistakes are good to experience, anyway. One of those being this, talking to Rachelle.

I didn't know she was this light when in a conversation, and she was so easy to ask. She wasn't trying to be cute. She was just genuine and she's beautiful when she smiles. She's also a balanced woman — knows when to joke around and when to get serious.

We were alone together for almost three hours. Yesterday I already wanted to go home after thirty minutes, but right now I wanted to stay much longer. I only sighed when I saw the sun going down, and maybe because of too much emotions I was feeling today, I felt hungry when I shouldn't be. I really wanted to treat Rachelle for a dinner, but she wasn't asking for it, and besides my money is with my manager. I tried to hold my hunger for minutes, but around seven-thirty I cannot do it anymore so I asked (it was hard, considering I'm a man, but still my stomach cannot be ignored) if she has enough money to buy takeouts, but she only frowned and shook her head.

 

“I only have my credit card and T-money. No cash.” I sighed when I heard her say it. “I'll call Nico. Wait for a sec,” she said and tried to call Nico. But after three tries she went back to me. “He's not answering.” She was frowning, but I was already thinking for a solution. Then I crazy idea hit me.

“Think I should cook?”  I think Rachelle is busier than me (swapping her attention from the paper to her phone to me and back), so I suggested it. Anyway Nico cooked for dinner yesterday, so I think he still has raws in his fridge. And she's the friend, so I asked her for affirmation. “I mean, I'm really, really hungry.”

“I'm not really eating dinner, but sure you can cook anything in Nico's fri—” I smiled, didn't let her finish and just ran to the kitchen.

 

Well if I couldn't buy for her, then maybe I could cook for her.

The moment I reached the kitchen, I already opened Nico's fridge and selected some vegetables and brought out the pork. There was still rice in the cooker, so I only needed some stew.

I was putting the knife and chopping board on the table when I saw her standing by the kitchen's doorframe. She just stared at me as I worked, and it made me a bit awkward. I'm a man, she's a lady. I know she knows how to cook, so she could be judging my cooking skills. I am not confident with my cooking, so her stare made me a bit uneasy.

I timidly smiled at her before putting the vegetables in the sink so I could avoid her stare. I started washing them, and when I thought she wasn't there anymore, I carried the vegetables out of the sink. I turned around, holding a drainer of veggies with both my hands, and still saw her there, staring at me. I couldn't turn back because she would sense that I could feel discomfort, so I just shrugged, smiled and returned to the table.

I grabbed the radish and started peeling it with uneasy and saying to myself that she's not at the door anymore. But the thought didn't calm me. She was still there when I started chopping anyway, so I tried to shoo her by trying to point out how busy she was, but before I start I made a mistake of cutting my finger. I cursed under my breath and ran to the sink and washed the blood easing out of my thumb.

 

“Ah, excuse me...” I heard her say, but I ignored her and continued sticking my thumb to the running water.

 

I never heard her come to me, but in seconds she was beside me, putting the water off and holding my hand. For a while I thought the scene would be sweet, she holding my hand and telling me with her sweet voice that I should be careful all the while looking at the wound and back at me with concern in her eyes, but reality hit me when she started squeezing my finger.

 

“Aww, careful!” I complained, and I heard her mutter an apology. “Oh my God, my blood! Don't squeez it so much!”

“You're more likely to die if we don't do this.” She said.

 

What the hell? Is she threatening me just to feel my hand?

 

 

“How? It's likely that I would die because of blood loss.” I still retorted, but she just sighed.

“You won't lose that much, don't worry. Besides some of your blood might have carrying tetanus so we need to get it out of your system.”

I thought she was just faking it, but now I don't think so. Wow... Is she a doctor or something?

I actually had a hard time understanding what she said, but I figured it's bad, so I just let her do her thing. “There. Keep your hand above the sink, I will find Nico's first aid kit.” She said and ran out of the kitchen, while I was left wounded, still pressing my finger with my other hand, and utterly amazed because of her.

 

She came back after a minute and put the first aid kit on the counter.

 

“Is it still bleeding?” She asked as she looked at me. I nodded. “Come here.” Without a word I sat beside her. “Let me see.” She grabbed my hand and looked at the wound. After considering how bad it was, she opened the kit, put some medicine in a cotton pad and dabbed it in my wound. I jerked out of surprise and pain, but she was quick enough to blow the pain away. “Will this be okay?” She then asked.

Since I didn't know how to answer, I replied with a question, “What? Okay how?” For a while she didn't elaborate, her brows were creasing as she gently dabbed the cotton on my forefinger and automatically blows it when I jerk.

 

Well, doctor or not, she's really good at this. I'm not wishing for more cuts as of the moment, but I would definitely run to her when I have one.

 

“That you have a wound on your thumb. You're playing the bass, right?” She said when she was done, and I caught my breath. How did she know I'm a bassist? Did my manager tell them?

 

I knew he didn't, because he knew boasting my position or my group wouldn't help me avoid the typing job, so I didn't know how she found out.

 

“You know I'm playing the bass?” I asked, and she slowly turned her face from the kit to me, her big eyes bigger for a second, until she suppressed it with a smile and started bandaging my wound.

“Done. Don't hurt your hands too much, they're more important than mine.” She said in a concerned tone, and I couldn't help but be in awe of her. I still didn't have her answer to my question, so I tried asking again.

“But how—” I was about to bug her about it when I heard Nico's footsteps followed by his singsong voice.

“Babe? Brian?” He called. “Yoohooo! Where are you?” I really feel I should ask, but Rachelle's attention was with Nico now. “Baaabe—!” Nico was yelling something in alien language, Rachelle sighed and shook her head, and I was left staring at her.

Rachelle answered and Nico gave another shriek. He sounded like he was running to the kitchen as Rachelle gave another sigh, like Nico was the most hopeless person in the world.

Nico's expression was of annoyed one when he first entered the kitchen, and then unbelievingly looked at us, and then stopped, dumbfounded. “Oh.” That was the only thing he had said.

“Brian had a wound on his thumb because he was trying to cook.” Rachelle's Korean tongue came back, and Nico only gasped another Oh, more silent this time.

“Sorry, my bad.” He said and paused, and in one moment his dumbfounded expression changed to alarmed one. “Oh my, so could you still play bass?”

“It's not big, maybe I could already play tomorrow.” I informed him. So even Nico knows? “Anyway how did you know I play bass?” I asked again. Nico looked at Rachelle meaningfully before he started explaining.

“Well we listen to a lot of music, especially rock, so…” Rachelle nodded as he said those, as if convincing herself. Nico just smiled and went on. “Anyway I have pizza. Stop that mess and let's eat at the living area.” He held up the box of pizza and motioned us to stand. I was the first to stand up and walk outside.

 

I didn't believe their explanation, and I knew they talked something about me the moment I went out of the kitchen, but it was worthless eavesdropping. I wouldn't understand what they were saying anyway, so I just stayed at the sofa until he and Rachelle came. Nico set up the box of pizza on the coffee table while Rachelle sat at the longer couch. Nico then went back to the kitchen for drinks, and he left me once again with Rachelle. She tied her hair in a rather messy way, some of her hair were still loose, and pouted while waiting. I just stared at her. We haven't even together for a day, and still I was already considering if staring at her could be my new hobby. She may not be the most beautiful woman in the room at first glance, but the more you look at her the more she gets more beautiful.

 

“What is it?” I heard her ask. If my eyes could be big, it already gotten as large as quail eggs.

“Nothing.” It was the only thing I could think of as a reply. As if on cue, Nico went back with a tray under a pitcher of juice and glasses on hand. He put the tray on the table, opened the pizza box, grabbed a slice, sat beside Rachelle casually and started eating. Sensing it was the cue to eat, I also grabbed one and ate. Rachelle stayed in her seat and ignored the pizza.

“So, how many pages did you do today?” Nico asked suddenly. I looked at him and forced myself to gulp what I've bitten before answering him.

“One fourth of thirty-eithth.”

“I think that's enough,” Nico nodded, “considering what happened to your hand. Mr. Park might've get angry, you know. You can go home after dinner.” He continued saying. I was paralyzed because of what he said. Now I don't know if I should smile or frown. In the end I just nodded.

 

At last Rachelle had her first slice as she talked to Nico casually. They were speaking in their native tongue so I was left there, staring at them as if I would understand if I did, and rarely grabbing a pizza slice. I decided to stop eating after the third slice (I can't act like a glutton in front of them) and took a glass and filled it with juice. I was already reaching for the glass, my mouth feeling dry at the sight of the juice, but the glass didn't even touched my lips when I heard raindrops outside.

We all stared at the window, then Nico and Rachelle looked at each other before looking at me.

 

“Brian, you could sleep here, don't worry.” Nico said after a moment. I contemplated. The house has only one room, and I had a hunch that Rachelle would sleep here. She would then use Nico's room, and I would be left with Nico here... which will be kind of uncomfortable.

“I could call for the company car.” I said, a bit confident, and reached my phone to call my manager. Nico looked at Rachelle and asked her, and as expected she said she would sleep here.

 

My manager finally answered the phone and I excused myself so I could talk to him.

 

“Younghyun, I'm sorry. I can't fetch you there. I'm currently in Ilsan for Dowoon.”

“Alright, but hyung, I already told Nico you would fetch me. They might expect you here.” I tried to explain so he would do the job explaining the situation to Nico.

“Okay, I will talk to Nico. Now choose: sleep there or borrow money? I think sleeping there would be a better option.” He pointed out.

“Whatever’s better.” I said, thanked my manager and turned off the phone.

 

I came back, crestfallen, and maybe it showed on my face that they looked at me pitifully.

 

“Nico, can I still sleep here?” I started, and Nico shifted on his seat.

“I thought your manager would fetch you here?” Nico asked. It made me even sadder.

“No, he can't this time. He said I should just sleep here. He said he would call you in a minute.” I replied, and as if on cue, Nico's phone rang.

Nico excused himself and accepted the call. I didn't look at her, but I could feel Rachelle's pitiful stare. “It's fine, Nico would let you stay.” She said after a while. I looked at her.

“Yeah, but I feel like I'm already overstaying.” I told her, but Rachelle only smiled.

“As long as you're not touching his most personal things, you're not overstaying.”

 

Nico went in, his brows a bit furrowed, but he was calm. “You could sleep in my room. I and Rachelle could sleep here in the sofa. Right?” He looked next to Rachelle for affirmation. Rachelle looked at him unbelievingly, but still tried to form words.

“No, I can sleep here in the sofa.” I said before Rachelle could answer. They both looked at me. Nico then sat back beside Rachelle, held his glass and shrugged.

“Trust me bro, I know where you could sleep.” Nico said, and Rachelle just watched us as she took a bite of her pizza.

“But the thing is—”

“Now, I know how you feel,” Rachelle cut me. “But Nico is right. You would never wish to sleep in his living room.”

“But how about you?” I unconsciously looked at Rachelle first, stayed staring at her for seconds, before at Nico. When I realized what I did, I silently cursed myself and wished they didn't notice.

“Well, Nico will sleep here too. I work at night, so...”

 

She didn't finish and instead she took another bite. I let them finish their meal before I transferred to Nico's bedroom guiltily.

Nico's bed was unexpectedly clean. The colors of the walls were off-white, as well as his mattress and bedside table. There was a closet on the right side, and were three wooden shelves filled with books on the far left, accompanied by a blue suitcase that had the word Rachelle's written haphazardly by a black marker, and a wooden table and chair. The table had a laptop and four other books, all of them authored by R.G. Moore AKA Rachelle, and The Afterglow was one of them. I was tempted to open and read it, but I was suddenly feeling sleepy at the sight of it.

I walked to the bed and lied, my hands as makeshift pillow, and stared at the ceiling. I know Rachelle and Nico are friends, but seeing them... They are too comfortable with each other. Rachelle even has a suitcase here. And Nico’s calling her babe.

Maybe they are not just friends.

Are they in a relationship or is there something special between them?

Hey, that's kind of impossible. I know you could call your friends babe anyway.

Besides, Nico is very scary. He is very strict with me, he was always bothering me about how much I have written and always wanted to stick to his given rules and time. And Rachelle... well, she says sensible things and she was quite good at controlling her emotions. It was like she uses her head more than her heart, and even if she smiles at me, she seemed very distant, like there is a tall wall that anyone who wants to be friends with her should climb before being close to her.

How could two monsters be a couple? I mean, do they really feel something for each other? A strict person and distant one?

God, that was kind of frustrating.

 

***

 

I suddenly woke up at the middle of the night, not really knowing that I actually slept. Nico's clock read four-o-five am, which meant it wasn't night already. It was cold— bearable, but still cold— and I suddenly thought about the people downstairs, so I grabbed the spare blanket that I found in Nico's closet and went downstairs to check on them. Nico was sleeping on the floor with no blanket to warm him, so I automatically spread the blanket on him. Rachelle was sleeping on her chest at the long couch, a blanket covering her back. She made her arms as makeshift pillow, and a laptop was still in front of her head.

 

I looked at her, smiled, and thought about walking so I could be near her.

 

 


Please comment down your thoughts! Thank you~

Update will be next week!

 

Always,