Chapter 1/1

Senseless Love

    The snow from last night is still covering the roofs of buildings and cars as well as covering paths.  The air is frigid and windy.  On a hill, an old-style house is built.  Smoke comes from the chimney all day and all night like it normally does this time of year.   Winter had only begun a week or so prior, and it has already taken its toll on the small yet fancy house.
 

The seating room is the hottest place in the house.  The fireplace is burning the wood that was tossed inside an hour earlier. 

 

"I always dreamed of meeting a man,"  A deep-toned man spoke as his index finger circled the rim of the cup he's been drinking tea out of, "the man would be my Prince Charming that I could live my days with.

 

"A man that isn't just all looks, but character.  A man that I could depend on and hold dearly."  He started explaining before taking a sip of his tea.  "I want to live with him and be with him forever.  I wanted it to be that we could have a life like a sonnet—just about him and me.

 

"No, I'm not one for poetry or literature.  What I want in a man isn't his extraordinary height or his great build; his smiling teeth or his deep voice.  I wouldn't even care if he had a beautiful head of hair that I could comb my fingers through when I couldn't get to sleep at night."  He smiled as he crossed his legs and described the love of his life.

 

"Yes, I'm in love with a man.  I've found girls to have pretty and angelic personalities—plenty that are just as nice and offer great love like no other person."  He admitted.  "It's not that I've never been attracted to them, it's that I've never had this heart-beating feeling like I have with him."

 

He felt the fabric of the couch he's sitting on.  "When I think of him, my mind goes back to our first kiss.  He not only took my breath away, but he took my heart away."  He said cheesily.

 

"Wonwoo,"  The other person in the room sounded, "what's his name?"

 

Wonwoo turned his head and blinked twice toward the other person.  "Mingyu."  He gave a smile.  "Kim Mingyu.  Isn't it perfect?  I couldn't imagine if he was a Lee Mingyu or a Park Mingyu.  Kim is just right for me."

 

"Where is Mingyu now?"


 

Wonwoo chuckled a little as he bit his lip and moved his head lower.  "He's in Anyang right now.  He was born in Anyang, you know.  I don't know why he traveled all the way to Changwon just to stay with me." 

 

"When did you meet him?"  The other person asked.


 

Wonwoo sat up straight and scratched his head.  "I remember it was the spring of my first year in high school.  He came to my house and lived with me."  He started.

 

"You know that Jisoo is a good caretaker.. You out of all people should know that, Dr. Seokmin.  He was invited to study here and keep me company."  Wonwoo continued as he played with the little freys on the couch.


 

The other in the room, Seokmin, looked down with a smile.  "Yes, I do know that.  I wish he could cook better though."  He chuckled.

 

Wonwoo nodded and laughed.  "That's true, but he's good at making ramyun and rice."


 

Seokmin nodded with a hum.  "Back to you and Mingyu.  Where did you first kiss him?"

 

"Where?  I do believe we were in the kitchen.  He was teaching me how to make some cookies."  He laughed again.  "Where was Jisoo at that time?"
 

Seokmin looked down and scratched his head.  "I do believe you two locked him in the basement."

 

"Right.."

 

"How did the kiss feel, Wonwoo?"  Seokmin asked.


 

Wonwoo giggled a little as blush creeped up on his cheeks.  "It felt.. his lips were really soft and.. I was greedy, Doctor.  I went in for a second.

 

"He never once made me feel like an object.  I can't believe how in love I was, it's funny."  He rubbed his toes together. 


 

Seokmin smiled.  "How did you two's disabilities not get in the way of your love?"

 

Wonwoo kept his small smile on his lips; however, Seokmin could detect a bit of sadness in it. 

 

"We used a narrator on our phones,"  Wonwoo answered, "he would tell me the sweetest of things.  It's sort of weird, but I liked the pitch that he used with the narrator."

 

"How would it of been weird?"

 

"Well.. he told me that's how he wanted his voice to sound."  He explained.  "He wanted it to be deeper but not as deep as mine."

 

Seokmin nodded and clasped his hands.  "Did he ever comment about your inability to see?"  He asked.

 

"He said that he didn't care if I couldn't see him.  And quite frankly, I loved it.  I loved that I couldn't see him."  He kept his smile as his eyes travel across the room but take no picture in.

 

Seokmin sighed and looked at Jisoo who just walked into the room.  He poured more tea into Wonwoo's cup.  He then sat down next to Seokmin and put his head on the doctor's shoulder.

 

"Thank you, Mr. Hong."  Wonwoo bowed as he heard the other still in the room.  "Are you two kissing right now?"

 

"No, Wonwoo-ah."  Jisoo replied.  "Go on and continue about Mingyu."


 

Wonwoo nodded and scratched his neck.  "We didn't ever let our problems stop us from loving each other."  He continued.  "He kissed me every night before we fell asleep."

 

Seokmin nodded and watched as Wonwoo fiddled with the tea cup.  "He was so gentle with me.  He never once hurt me or my feelings."  He furthered.


 

"Did he ever tell you why he left to Anyang?"  Seokmin wondered.

 

Wonwoo nodded.  "I knew him for ten years before he left."  He sadly laughed.  "You know what he told me the night before he left?"

 

"What's that?"  Jisoo asked.

 

"He said that he'll talk to me later."  He laughed more.  "He actually said that.  That idiot..

 

"You know what I replied with?  I told him that I would see him later!"


 

Jisoo raised a concerned eyebrow at Seokmin.  "You won't be seeing him any time soon."


 

Wonwoo stood up and scratched his back.  "Dr. Seokmin, wouldn't you say that I have only a little bit more time to go?  I'm already in my late thirties, how long do you expect me to live for?" 


 

"Wonwoo, sit down."  Jisoo stood up to walk to Wonwoo.  He carefully placed the younger on the couch.  "I'll be here to take care of you, you're not going to leave any time soon."


 

Wonwoo chuckled.  "I want to see the love of my life..  Is that so much to ask for?  Going to Anyang every year is nice, but I want to be with Mingyu."
 

Seokmin closed his notebook and took down his glasses.  "Like what I tell you every week, I'm not going to honor your request.  That's not the type of doctor I am."

 

"Then why are you even here talking to me about it still?"  Wonwoo asked as he placed the tea cup on the table.  "If you old guys aren't going to give me Mingyu, what's the purpose for these appointments?"

 

Seokmin looked at Jisoo with a sigh.  "Our time here is up, Wonwoo.  I will see you next week."  He stood up.


 

Jisoo walked the doctor out of the seating room and stepped outside with Seokmin.  The doctor sighed and looked down at the snow on the doorstep.

 

"His scan results came in today..  The family has decided that it's time."  Seokmin showed the x-rays and other tests.  "Every week he keeps leaving out certain details, you can tell."

 

"That's right,"  Jisoo agreed, "his tumor is getting larger.."  He whispered as he ran his index and middle finger across the document.

 

Seokmin nodded.  "I hate being that kind of doctor, but he's suffering."  He said as he handed Jisoo an unmarked bottle.  "It only has one caplet in it, make your decision."

 

Jisoo kissed Seokmin before the doctor left.  He looked down at the bottle while walking back into the house.


 

"It's time to eat, Wonwoo."  Jisoo said, helping Wonwoo to the kitchen.
 

"I don't want to eat.."
 

Jisoo sighed and nodded.  "Mingyu wouldn't like it if you didn't take care of yourself."  He tried to guilt-trip.
 

Wonwoo sat down and felt for his fork.  Jisoo watched the younger eat his food with dark eyes.  His eyes then travel to the countertop and put the empty, unmarked bottle in the cabinet.

 

After dinner, Wonwoo lay down in his bed.  He felt the blanket and remembered when Mingyu was right next to him.  He heard the sound of his lightswitch being turned off.


 

"You'll be seeing Mingyu tonight."  Jisoo mentioned in a whisper before closing the door.



 



Thank you all for reading~
I feel like some things weren't too clear with the story.
When Wonwoo said that Mingyu moved back to Anyang, he meant a cemetery in Anyang.
Wonwoo has rested his eyes all of his life, and now he can see Mingyu.
Wonwoo kept his heart closed off when Mingyu left.  Please don't shut off from the world.
It's hard to lose a loved one, but there are so many people with the same situation that need support.
Reach out ^.^

Hopefully 2019 was a good year for you all.
And if not, there's always 2020 to look forward to.
Let's do our best this year, and make ourselves proud.



祝大家新年快乐!
<3