the ball

just love me

“Ladies, please look over here!”

 

“Chaeyoung-ssi, who is the lady beside you? Is it your secret fiancée?”

 

The reporters continue shouting questions at them, but Chaeyoung doesn’t stop, pulling Mina resolutely into the hotel. It’s only when they get on the lift that Mina lets go of Chaeyoung and heaves a sigh of relief, earning a chuckle from the latter.

 

“Don’t let your guard down already, that was just the starter. The real thing starts now.”

 

The lift door opens, revealing them to the entrance of the ballroom. Mina can’t even see the end of the ballroom, already filled with guests walking around and socializing. She tenses up when she realizes that will be her in a minute, having to make small talk with strangers she will probably never see after tonight. But the tension lifts a little when she spots her friends heading towards them with Dahyun.

 

“We are still early so most of our guests have yet to arrive, but the President is here already. You should go greet her first.” Dahyun’s group has arrived earlier and the secretary has used the time to scope out the area, scanning the battleground for Chaeyoung before she heads in.

 

Chaeyoung holds out her hand for Mina again, and she takes it with lesser hesitation this time. Mina doesn’t know where she’s going, just following Chaeyoung along as she trudges through the crowd, occasionally nodding and greeting the guests they pass. “So, we are going boss level first. She’s the main person, and frankly the only person we have to convince. If we can’t sell this to my grandma, the game’s over. Do you understand?”

 

Mina rolls her eyes; this girl obviously doesn’t know her well. If you are talking about games, she’s really good at them, and even as a lawyer, her winning rate for her cases is almost 99.9%. Bottom line is, Myoui Mina never loses. “I got it.”

 

“Good. There she is, the Empress Dowager.”

 

There’s a crowd in front of them, but she already knows which one is Chaeyoung’s grandma without being told. The red dress makes her looks stunning and fierce, but she has a natural aura that just commands your attention to her, and Mina is sure she’s not the only one who feels so seeing how everyone in the vicinity are all staring at her.

 

Mina gulps, feeling the nerves creep back into her. No wonder this is the boss level, it feels like she will admit to their lies the moment the older woman’s piercing gaze lands on her, that she will voluntarily confess in order to plead for a lighter punishment. They don’t stand a chance against Son Jangmi.

 

Chaeyoung squeezes her hand, as if she can sense Mina’s fears, “It will be fine, just leave the talking to me.”

 

If Son Jangmi is the most powerful Empress Dowager, then Son Chaeyoung is the next in line, the Crown Princess. Son Jangmi may be scary, but she’s weak for one thing, her granddaughter. That is why Chaeyoung is confident that everything will work out fine. Mina nods, and Chaeyoung pulls her along, the two of them weaving through the crowd, trying to reach President Son.

 

“President Son.” Chaeyoung calls out once they are within earshot, and Jangmi immediately turns to face them. They are finally in front of the older woman, and Mina grips tighter onto Chaeyoung’s hand when she feels the older woman’s gaze land on her, hoping that it’s not obvious that her legs have turned into jelly.

 

“This is Mina,” Chaeyoung gestures to the girl beside her who seems to have turned into ice. “And this is President Son, my boss and my grandma.”

 

Jangmi gives her a polite smile, holding her hand out. “Hi Mina, glad to finally meet you.”

 

“Hi President Son, glad to meet you too.”

 

“It’s a shame that we are meeting under such circumstances, I would like to know you better. Will you be free tomorrow for a meal?” It may seem like the older woman just offered to have a meal together, but it’s obvious that she’s doing so to scope her out, to see if she’s really dating Chaeyoung.

 

“Halmeoni, Mina is busy. She’s flying back to Japan right after this,” Chaeyoung interjects, saving both of their asses right now. They might be able to pass the test today since it’s just a short greeting, but they will definitely be exposed if they have to have prolonged interaction with Grandma Son. Chaeyoung squeezes Mina’s hand, and the latter gets the hint.

 

“Yes, I have an appointment with a client early morning tomorrow so I will have to fly back right after this to prepare. Maybe next time?” Mina offers, more out of politeness than out of will.

 

“I will take you up on that offer.” Jangmi smiles at her, before turning to glare at her granddaughter. “See, why can’t you be more hardworking like Mina?”

 

Chaeyoung scoffs, “Excuse me?! I work very hard too! Do you know how many deals I signed last month?”

 

“Whatever, go and greet the guests! And be nice.” Jangmi dismisses Chaeyoung with a wave, shooting a smile at Mina before leaving to greet the other guests. People who saw this scene without knowing anything probably would have thought that the old lady’s granddaughter is Mina instead of Chaeyoung, but the latter is used to her grandma’s tough love, brushing it aside and tugs Mina to a server to grab a drink. 

 

“That wasn’t so bad, right?” Chaeyoung lets go of Mina’s hand to pick up a glass of orange juice.

 

That’s it, Mina doesn’t know how they did it, but they managed to survive and pass the boss level. “Yeah, thankfully.”

 

Chaeyoung chuckles. “Don’t relax too much, we may have cleared the boss but we still have difficult opponents to face.”

 

“Who?”

 

“They are heading over here right now.”

 

“Director Son.” As if on cue, a man calls out.

 

“Director Ji, thank you for coming today.” Chaeyoung greets, shaking his hand.

 

“I heard that you have brought your girlfriend along today?” He asks, eyes immediately falling on Mina.

 

Mina offers her hand first this time, “Hi, I’m Myoui Mina.”

 

“Nice to meet you.” Director Ji takes her hand, but immediately turns back to Chaeyoung. “Well, don’t let your personal life affect your performance at work.”

 

Chaeyoung can hear the underlying meaning behind his words. Screw up just once, and you are done.

 

When she works hard and produces stellar results, they say that she’s not good enough because as a single woman she is immature and not good enough to be leading the company. When she finally tells them that she is dating, they remind her not to let her personal life affect her work performance, that they will not hesitate to vote her out of the company once her productivity drops. Why don’t they just tell her she’s not good enough because she doesn’t have a and go? It’s not like she doesn’t know that they all favour the good-for-nothing Director Lee more because they can relate to each other, all dirty middle-aged men who loved to drink and have their way with girls who are young enough to be their daughters.

 

“Don’t worry, I will make sure that will never happen.” Like Chaeyoung said, she’s kind but not soft, she’s not going to let all these dirty old men trample over her.

 

Even though it’s Mina’s first time meeting him, she can already distinguish the hidden meaning behind his words, and from how well Chaeyoung handled it, it’s probably not the first time she’s facing such demeaning comments. And as the night progresses, Mina sees it, sees how every one of these shareholders approach her with snide remarks, belittling her every aspect, from her work to her very existence. But Chaeyoung still remains as composed as ever, brushing off their remarks politely yet sternly, showing that she is nice, but it doesn’t mean she is a pushover.

 

Mina had thought that the director was another one of those people who think they are all that because they are rich, but she realizes today that that’s not the case. She gains a new form of respect for the director, and makes a vow to herself that she will support her as much as she can during their deal.

 

--

 

Momo has scoured the area carefully and true to Chaeyoung’s words, she finds a very comprehensive security system in place, finally letting her guard down. Now, on to her next mission. She picks up a plate, piling food on it. It’s the first time she’s not working during such events, and she will be a fool not to make full use of it. She has a mountain of food on her plate, but she’s already eyeing the dessert table. Popping a wasabi prawn into , she comes up with her game plan for tonight; finish this plate and go for another round of main course before going for the desserts. Looking around for Sana and Dahyun, something else catches her eyes.

 

To anyone, the couple near the cocktails table look like they are just speaking to each other, socializing like everyone else at such events, but the body gestures of the woman just screams that she is uncomfortable. The man keeps inching closer into her personal space, and the lady just shifts back, trying to place some distance between the two of them. Momo sighs, it’s not the first, and it probably won’t be the last time she sees such situations.

 

She strides towards them, thankfully getting there just in time to catch his hand before they can land on the woman’s waist. She throws his hand away harshly, causing him to stumble back a few steps. He turns, murderous glare on her.

 

“And who are you?”

 

“Is he bothering you?” Momo doesn’t care about him, just tilts her head a little to look at the woman.

 

The woman doesn’t answer, probably still frightened from the situation just now.

 

The man scoffs, “Excuse me? Bothering her? I’m just entertaining a guest like the good host I am.”

 

Momo doesn’t care if he’s a host or a hose, but she knows a predator and a danger when she sees one. She’s very sure she didn’t read the situation wrongly, but she still needs confirmation from the girl so that she knows she’s not intruding, that the girl needs her help to step in to put this creep in his place. She ignores him, just asks her again, “Was he bothering you?”

 

“Director Lee, I see that you are making our guest uncomfortable again.” Before the girl can reply, Chaeyoung appears, flanked by Mina.

 

“We were just talking.” The man fixes his tie while straightening his back, as if doing so will hide the disgusting thing he just did, hitting on this girl who is young enough to be his daughter.

 

“Then you are quite amazing, being able to make people uncomfortable just by talking. Maybe you should take some effective communication classes to fix that.” Unlike with the shareholders, Chaeyoung doesn’t hold back with this guy, especially not when he just messed with her friend.

 

Director Lee seethes, starting to turn red. “You need to learn some manners, kid. Do you think the shareholders are going to support you with your attitude?”

 

“Don’t worry, I only have an attitude towards you, because disrespectful people don’t deserve respect.”

 

“You will regret this,” Director Lee stomps off with a huff, thoroughly embarrassed.

 

Chaeyoung makes sure he’s out of their sight before turning to the lady. “Are you okay, Tzuyu?”

 

Tzuyu nods. “I’m alright, all thanks to the lady over here.”

 

They all turn to look at Momo, who waves it off. “Just doing my job.”

 

“Thanks Momo, it’s not the first time that pulled something like that,” Chaeyoung huffs, knowing very well how Director Lee can be. Not only does he do sloppy work, he’s just a downright ert who preys on the female staff. She swears the first thing she’s going to do when she becomes President is to fire him.

 

“Where’s Dahyun-unnie, didn’t you message her?” Chaeyoung frowns, having told the secretary to accompany Tzuyu once she gets here so that this doesn’t happen.

 

“I did, but-”

 

“Oh my god Tzuyu!” Dahyun flings herself onto Tzuyu, engulfing the latter in a tight hug. “I’m so sorry I was busy and didn’t see your message but I came the moment I did. Did anyone do anything to you? Touch you anywhere inappropriately?”

 

“I’m okay.” But Tzuyu is obviously not, because instead of rejecting Dahyun’s affections, she sinks into the older girl’s embrace.

 

“She almost did, by scumbag Lee no less. Where were you?” Chaeyoung chides.

 

But she has her answer when Dahyun detaches herself from Tzuyu to face her, lipstick smeared and hair slightly dishevelled. Chaeyoung turns to look at Sana, confirming her thoughts when she sees the Japanese secretary in the same state. Chaeyoung resists the urge to run her fingers through her hair, choosing instead to rub her temples. As if there isn’t enough to consider with this deal about helping Mina, now their secretaries just have to add to the mess.

 

“Oh god, I need a drink.”

 

“You can’t!” Both Dahyun and Tzuyu screams, chasing after the director who’s already walking off to find the nearest server.

 

Chaeyoung grabs another glass of orange juice, downing it. She sees the look of relief on her friends’ faces when she puts down her glass, and she rolls her eyes at how dramatic they are. She may seem like she’s quite reckless, just doing things as she pleases, but she has her limits, knows what she can’t and shouldn’t do. “Yah, do you guys really think I was going to drink? I know my limits.”

 

Tzuyu punches her on the arm. “You know you shouldn’t joke about such stuff.”

 

“Yeah, stop saying inappropriate jokes. That goes to you too Tzuyu, stop saying that you are going to kill your neighbour no matter how inconsiderate they are.”

 

“I wasn’t joking though.”

 

Dahyun gapes at Tzuyu, while Chaeyoung just coughs.

 

“Anyway…” Chaeyoung drawls, deciding to ignore her friend’s violent tendencies, “You and Sana, huh?”

 

Dahyun blushes, “She was looking at me with such alluring eyes, I couldn’t help it.”

 

“We didn’t ask for the details.” Tzuyu grimaces and Chaeyoung chuckles.

 

“Well, then what about you? What did that scumbag do to you?” Dahyun shifts the attention to Tzuyu.

 

“Just the usual, tried to hit me up and nearly touched me. Luckily she stopped him just in time.” Tzuyu tilts her head, and they follow her gaze to the three Japanese, but they all know she is talking about the Japanese bodyguard.

 

Chaeyoung reminds herself to thank Momo again, and she turns back to see both of her friends looking towards the three Japanese with lovestruck looks. Oh god, Dahyun alone is enough to deal with, now Tzuyu too? Don’t get her wrong, she’s happy for her friends if they are able to find their happiness, but if their friends are going to start dating, it’s going to make things between her and Mina more complicated.

 

--

 

Mina spins around, crossing her arms as she looks at Sana. “Really? I leave you alone for five minutes and you are making out with her secretary already?”

 

“It wasn’t five minutes…” Sana rebukes; they were at least gone for an hour. But of course time isn’t the important thing, the important thing here is that she shouldn’t be making out with Dahyun. Yet she did so she’s at fault. Before Mina can go on a tirade, Sana immediately diverts the topic, “So how was everything with Son Chaeyoung?”

 

“It was okay, strictly business and no scandalous activity, unlike you,” Mina reminds her pointedly, earning a snort from Momo. She’s about to launch into full-on nagging mode when she feels her phone vibrate in her purse, and she huffs, fishing for her phone. She curses inwardly when she sees the name on her phone; she’s so consumed with meeting everyone with the director that she has forgotten about her reality.

 

The call ends before she can pick it up, and the missed phone call just adds to the twenty other missed calls on her notifications. Sana peeks over and snorts, someone’s worried, huh? He doesn’t even contact Mina usually and gives her crude replies when she calls him first, so it’s new to see him try to reach her so desperately. Mina’s phone lights up with another call again, and Sana snatches the phone out of the former’s hands.

 

“Sana, give it back!” Bambam must have seen the articles and misunderstood everything, so she really needs to explain the situation to him but Sana isn’t helping.

 

“No, you shouldn’t pick up so quickly, let him worry a bit.” Sana holds the phone far away while trying to block Mina from getting to it.

 

The two of them are still fighting over the phone like two kids fighting over a toy when the three youngest get back, gaping at the scene while Momo just watches on, unbothered by what’s happening.

 

“What’s going on?” Dahyun asks worriedly, thinking if she should step in to help her crush.

 

Momo explains the situation, ending with a nonchalant shrug. “Don’t worry, it will end soon.”

 

It’s pretty comical, seeing two elegantly dressed women fight over the phone like their lives depend on it. Sana doesn’t budge, but Mina isn’t going to back down either. Sensing that she’s going to lose this battle, she quickly twists her body to face the group. “Momo, here!”

 

However, Sana isn’t called clumsy for no reason, the phone going slightly off tangent and landing in Chaeyoung’s hands instead. The director looks at the phone, then at Momo who still has a nonchalant look on her face while she continues chomping down food, and finally at Sana who’s currently stopping a screeching Mina from getting to them. The phone lights up again, and she doesn’t hesitate.

 

“Hello?”

 

“You finally picked up, huh? Was that why you didn’t want to give me money the other time? Because you were already cheating on me?”

 

Chaeyoung already knew that he asks for money from Mina, but to hear him say it like she’s supposed to give him money makes her blood boil. “Well I would too if my boyfriend just treats me like an ATM.”

 

“Wha-“

 

Chaeyoung doesn’t get the chance to listen to his reply, because Mina snatched the phone out of her grip with the stink eye, walking off to continue the conversation in private.  

 

“Hi baby, I’m so sorry, I was in the toilet just now.” Mina steps out to the balcony where there are lesser people.

 

“You could have just told me that you wanted to break up instead of cheating on me like that.”

 

“I’m not cheating on you. It’s true that I’m at the ball with her now, but… it’s complicated.” Mina knows he wouldn’t be so mad if she just told him beforehand, but that chance was taken out of her hands with the press coverage at the red carpet.

 

“That’s not what she told me just now.”

 

Mina rubs her temples, having heard exactly what Chaeyoung said to him. But it’s not a good time to explain everything to him over the phone now, where there are so many ears around. “I need you to trust me for now, but I will explain everything to you later, okay?”

 

“It better be a damn good explanation.”

 

And the phone goes dead.

 

Mina sighs while placing her phone back into her purse, turning around to see the current bane of her existence. Stomping over, she asks, “Why did you say that to him?!”

 

“Why, did I hurt his pride?” Chaeyoung snickers.

 

“We are only doing this because you said you will help me with my parents. If you try to come between me and Bambam again, this deal is over.” Mina’s first thought when Chaeyoung offered the deal was that the director was using it as a way to hit on her, and that thought might not be wrong after all.

 

“Say, why are you so hellbent on being together with him?” It’s like Chaeyoung didn’t hear Mina, just going on to question her intentions.

 

“Because I love him.”

 

“But does he love you? Or your money?”

 

Mina scoffs, she’s been civil to her because of their partnership, but she’s not going to be anymore if this girl is here acting like she knows better about her relationship. “Who are you to comment on my relationship? What do you even know about relationships?”

 

But that seemed to have sparked something in Chaeyoung, her eyes burning as she steps closer to Mina, and the lawyer can only peddle back, taken aback by the director’s sudden action. But her waist hits the railings of the balcony, and she knows she’s out of space to run. Chaeyoung places her hands on the railings, trapping Mina and leans into her personal space.

 

What do I know?” Chaeyoung is about to tell her, let her know what she knows, let her know of the pain and suffering of loving a person who only loves money. But she holds herself back at the last moment, because Mina can be told by everyone over and over again to leave, but she won’t until she has made up her mind by herself. Some lessons are meant to be learnt by experience.

 

She chuckles emptily as she moves back pulling back to put some distance between them again. “Okay fine, I will bug out of your business, so you bug out of mine.”

 

Mina can only blink in confusion at Chaeyoung who left in a storm. Why is she getting angry when she was the one who overstepped her boundaries first with her invasive questions? Also, why did she have to get so close to her? Mina lifts her hands to her face, willing the heat to subside. She has to be more wary of Chaeyoung from now on, who knows if she’s just using this chance to hit on her.