One

Garden maze

Frankly, I did not want to go to the celebration of the viscount's daughter's birthday.

Katarina de`Son turned 17 years old, and everyone should be on their estate.

What kind of absurdity?

I don’t even know her. I don’t know how she looks; I heard only from my father how beautiful Katarina is. And that I need to learn from her manners at the table, in conversation, etc. And why does he not like my manners? I do not run around the house ? No, I just walk fast, and it so happens that one or two vases brought by him from abroad fall along the way.

My father told me more than once or twice:

“Girls shouldn't act like that.” Straighten your back; your speech should be easy, understandable, and not quick and swallowing letters at the end. And please always go in clean clothes. You’re a lady, he reproached me, when I returned home again after a two-hour train to Tofu, my purebred mustang.

I honestly tried to be like my mother, to learn good manners, to keep my posture, to speak elaborately, to nod gracefully to the servant who was passing, and to knit. Ah, what a torture! I could only be free when my father went abroad.

On one such trip, my father met Viscount de`Son, they quickly found a common language, many common topics for discussion. As in one letter, the father wrote, “I, as if I met a lost brother; if he had a son, then I would offer you, as his wife.” If father writes like this, then this person is worthy of my respect. Although about marriage here, my father bent. Should I get married? Ha. Never! Moreover, during his journey, my views changed, and now I hardly ever fall in love with a guy. The father does not know, the mother strictly insisted that she be silent. Someday he will find out, but not now.

I will not spoil the party.

They were waiting for me in the carriage that was brought to the house. Father and mother were already sitting in it, the groom was checking for the last time whether the reins were holding tight, he sometimes whistled a motive unknown to me. The last time I looked at myself in the mirror that was hanging in the hallway, sighed from the fact that I looked fake, wrapped myself in a transparent shawl, left the house.

Not real, you ask and, of course, want to know what I had in mind. I explain that in the mirror the second “I” looked at me in an elegant golden dress, my light curls were wound and neatly braided in ribbons, golden gloves were on her arms to her elbows, a light make-up.

In general, I smoothed out like sandals on a small heel. Pretentious and tasteless in my opinion. Not me, my lady mask.

- What a beautiful young lady you are - letting in the carriage, said the coachman admiringly, I smiled back, thanking him with a nod of my head.

“Well, such a beauty definitely had to wait,” my father smiled proudly. - John, touch! He ordered the coachman.

***

The estate where we arrived was huge, and visiting guests were already crowding around the house. All colorful and colorful, the ladies elegantly held their heads in a hat, gentlemen tapped the cane on the ground, walked with an arrogant look, led the arm of the same young ladies as I did.

False and fleeting masquerade.

I put on the mask of a happy lady who was just eager to come here. She took her father’s hand, mother held the other hand, climbed the stairs up to the entrance to the viscount’s house.

***

Viscount de`Son : a young man, 40 years old, dark blond hair, dark skin and an incredible sense of humor. I liked him as soon as we met.

Viscount’s de`Son : a beautiful woman of 39 years old, black hair to her shoulders, a dark look that attracted me, smooth movements of her hands, grace. A very interesting person, she was not like the rest of the artsy ladies, and I liked that.

Among all the false masks, they seemed real. I hoped their daughter was the same. If yes, then we will quickly find a common language, and I will be happy to visit this house the next time.

***

The girl who went down the stairs was incredibly beautiful and elegant in her dress. Although, the outfit was not particularly interesting to me, first of all, I paid attention to her mole under her lower lip and the charMina dimples on her cheeks when she smiled at the applause from the guests. Dark skin tinted the color of nacre. Her black hair was cut short, causing discontent among the guests, but I liked the way she went against the rules. And she did not have sleek arms or legs, muscular, and the posture was not as good as that of a lady. Everything in this young lady betrayed a rebel.

Surely she also runs around the house and prefers to ride a horse, , and not in a carriage - it flashed through my head when our eyes met.

My world has ceased to exist. Katarina de`Son completely consumed me. Apparently, not only I was captivated by an unknown feeling, because the next moment, I saw how the girl stumbled and lost her balance, began to lean forward.

I tore off, immediately slipping a few steps, I stood in front of her, hugged her waist, delaying a shameful fall. And in order to avoid ridicule from the false ladies, I said aloud:

-Katarina , my dear, you finally got one year older! Just a little more, and you will catch up with me in growth - I jokingly added, carefully holding by a thin waist, we began to go down.

As I expected, my joke was picked up and laughed, to this noise, I heard a quiet "thank you." When we finally went down, the girl walked away from me, crouching shallowly in curtsy, the smile returned to her face when she turned to everyone. Her lips were smiling, but not her eyes, and paleness appeared under the swarthy skin. I wanted to help her with something, so I did not go far, pretending that we had known each other for a long time, and my recent greeting, a simple sign of love for my friend.

**

Tiring.

All social balls are tiring.

I was exhausted from the heat and stuffiness, I wanted fresh air, and even better, a network on Tofu and go to the forest, breathe in pine needles, plunge into silence. Unfortunately, the etiquette rule did not allow me to leave earlier. How tired I am of these hens, who only know that to grind the bones and grumble with envy.

Gossip, gossip, gossip alone.

Ears wither from them, the head is spinning, and it becomes ill.

I was surrounded by such ladies, in my hand I held a glass of juice, taking slow sips, examined the war field, that is, a banquet hall. My gaze looked for the lost birthday girl, as soon as I looked away at my father who called me, Katarina disappeared.

She was nowhere to be seen, no matter how much I looked.

It's a pity. I would like to get to know each other better, introduce myself to her.

While I was thinking what to do, how to escape from captivity, a pleasant melody sounded from the surrounding. The conductor, waving his wands, glanced down at the guests, said something softly, and began to play a familiar motive.

I instantly realized, here is my chance to hide. Now everyone will start dancing, and I’m just lost in the crowd.

As I predicted, men invite ladies, and soon the ballroom was completely filled with dancing people.

As soon as I was about to leave, as Katarina appeared near me, she looked imploringly at me, holding out her hand in front of her:

-Please help me out again, invite me to a dance now.

- What for? I did not understand when a black-haired youth, a dandy, appeared near us.

- Katarina, where are you to running? I ask only one dance - the guy insistently insisted, not noticing me standing. I did not like his eyes, which ate the girl.

-I'm sorry, buddy, but this lady promised a dance to me - pushing him aside, standing opposite him, and blocking the view of the girl's visibility.

-But you are a girl too! How can two girls dance? - The guy grinned, trying to reach Katarina, I did not concede.

- Do you want to make sure your words are incorrect? Katarina went to dance - lightly took the girls by the wrist and led to the very center of the hall. She made a gallant nod, clapping her heels, offered her hand. - Enjoy the dance, and slowly run away from here?

-I like your suggestion - for the first time this evening, a real smile appeared on Katarina’s lips.

She took an outstretched hand, and then sat down in a curtsy, entered into an embrace, and our dance began.

To hold it in my hands until the end of my days is what I wanted. Her strawberry aroma captivated me; I wrapped myself up like a warm blanket when I felt a supple body. Her face was very close to my face, I heard her breathing, I saw her eyebrow twitching. But even more I wanted to merge with her in kisses. Feel all the sweetness of strawberries on your lips, dissolve in her passionate moan when my tongue drinks its moisture. I wanted to have this unborn flower.

I wanted, but I knew that it was only in dreams. In the wildest dreams.

All I will ever get from her is friendship and love, as a friend.

***

-You can press me closer if you want, - the girl said, taking a step herself and finding herself completely in my space. From her smile, my heart jumped several times. -I still don't know your name, my savior.

-Ah, my fault, I forgot to introduce myself earlier. I am the daughter of viscount de`Kim, DaHyun.

-Oh, so you are his daughter?! - Sincerely sounded the girl’s voice. -You look exactly as I imagined you!

-Have you thought about me? - My eyebrows soared up from the words I heard.

- Yes, I just thought that you and I would immediately find a common language, and immediately make friends.

-And why did you decide so, Viscount’s?

-We are alike. We are the same rebels who will never obey the rules of secular etiquette. We are on our own, and we will love only those whom we consider equal to ourselves - a black-haired girl whispered passionately, showing her dimples on her cheeks when she grinned at me. - We are already near the exit, you can now let me go, - she said quietly, her eyes flashing dark, but without making an attempt to get out of my hands.

-I would like to keep you longer, - I admitted in a half-whisper, entrusting her with my true feelings.

I thought that it was possible for her to open herself; she would understand and not push him away. True, I did not know how she would react to my openness. Is it possible for our dance to turn into something more than just friendship?

She did not say anything after my confession, but did not let go of my hand when we went out onto the veranda and then went down into the garden.