Chapter 3

Ardor

It was later that night when Dongwan got a call from Eric asking the group to go out. Dongwan was running a bit late but got into the club. He found his group of friends and greeted them all, apologizing for being a little late. He grabbed the free seat next to Minwoo and helped himself to a drink. 

 

Eric did a toast to everyone and started to talk about the next big event for Shinhwa. His wedding. The leader was finally getting married and of course Shinhwa as a whole was the best man. He took a giant gulp of his drink and set it down, “So...who is bringing a date to my wedding?” No one raised their hand or spoke up, he frowned a bit, “Minwoo? What about your lady?”

 

“Yea we’re not together anymore…” Minwoo said as he glanced at Dongwan.

 

“Really?” Junjin asked, curiously, “What happened?”

 

“I didn’t love her…” Minwoo explained, “There is someone else…”

 

“Really?” Junjin turned to him, “Have you been playing the field?”

 

Minwoo laughed, “Not really…” He looked at everyone as he took a drink, “The other person has been on my mind for a long time.”

 

Dongwan looked at everyone reactions as they tried to get the man to tell them who. Long time? How long? If he had someone else in mind then why did he come to Dongwan? And the holding? What was going on?

 

They changed the subject and drank some more. They discussed the wedding and future Shinhwa plans. Dongwan just listened as well as he could since his mind was on Minwoo. He thought about how the man looked at him that made him feel so disheartened. He couldn't quite put his finger on it. 

 

He excused himself to the bathroom and while he relieved himself Minwoo came in. Minwoo grinned a thim and went to relieve himself as well. Dongwan washed his hands and was a bit surprised when Minwoo spoke, “Hey Wan…”

 

He watched as Minwoo zipped up his pants and went over to wash them, “Yea?”

 

As Minwoo washed his hands he looked at his friend through the mirror, “I wanted to thank you…”

 

“What? Why?” Dongwan handed Minwoo some paper towels.

 

Minwoo grabbed Dongwan’s hand offering the towels, “Well...for convincing me to break up with her…”

 

“I didn’t really convince you.” Dongwan pulled away, “I just thought it was best if you didn’t give her false hope…besides you just said you had someone else on your mind.”

 

“I do.” Minwoo tossed his paper towels away, “It’s you.”

 

“Me?”

 

Minwoo closed the gap between them, “Yes, you.” 

 

Dongwan gulped and backed away some, “Is this why you’ve been acting strange?”

 

“Strange?” Minwoo reached out for his friend.

 

Dongwan hit his hand away, “Yea...wanting to hold me and…”

 

“Dongwan...” He said sternly.

 

Dongwan backed away some more, processing what his friend had told him. He laughed a bit, “You’re messing with me…”

 

“No…” Minwoo said cleary, “I’ve been lying to myself for years…”

 

Dongwan stood there as his friend grabbed his wrists. He closed the gap between them again, “I’m tired of lying…” He breathed slowly, “When I held you...I knew…”

 

“Knew what?” 

 

Minwoo stared at him right in the eyes, “I knew that I was suppose to be with you...holding you made me happy.”

 

Dongwan blushed, “I…don’t...”

 

Minwoo let him go, “It’s fine. I am just glad you know.”  He pushed past him to leave the bathroom.

 

Dongwan just stood there, not knowing what to feel. Minwoo liked him that way? Really? Did his friend seriously break up with a woman for him? He felt his stomach turn with uncertainty. He went to join the rest of the guys and noticed everyone but Junjin was gone.

 

“They went to get special drinks.” Junjin told him as he patted the seat next to him, “I was waiting for you.”

 

Dongwan sat down next to him, “Thanks for waiting.”

 

Junjin nodded and looked at him, “What is going on with Minwoo?”

 

Dongwan looked at him, “What do you mean?”

 

Junjin frowned slightly, “He’s acting strange...has been since the show.” He looked down at his glass, “I don’t know what changed...but breaking up with her because someone else has been on his mind?” He glanced at Dongwan who looked upset, “Why would he string her along like that then?”

 

Dongwan shrugged, “I am not sure…” He sighed, his stomach felt upset, “I...don’t know what change…”

 

Junjin patted him on the arm, “At least he has you.”

 

Dongwan darted a shocked look at him, did he know? “W-What do you mean?”

 

Junjin laughed, “You’re his best friend. I’m sure when he’s ready, he'll tell you what changed.”

 

Dongwan laughed uneasily, he already knew. What changed was the fact Minwoo liked him and had for a long time. Junjin finished his drink and stared at him, “Are you ok? You’re turning pale…”

 

“My stomach is upset.” Dongwan confessed as he put his hand on his stomach.

 

Junjin pushed his glass away and got out of the booth, “Want me to get you a cab?”

 

Dongwan nodded, “Yes, please.”

 

Everyone started to return and saw Junjin help Dongwan out of the booth. Hyesung went over, “Is everything alright?”

 

“Wan isn’t feeling so well.” Junjin told him as he took out his cell phone, “I’m going to get him a cab.” He called a number and watched as Minwoo came over.

 

Minwoo grabbed Dongwan’s arm lightly, “I’ll make sure he gets home.”

 

Dongwan gulped but just nodded, his stomach seemed to get worse. Minwoo pulled him along outside so they could wait for the cab. He held onto his arm as they waited, “This is because of me, huh?”

 

Dongwan frowned, “I…” He sighed as he clenched his stomach, “I’m sorry…”

 

“Don’t be.” Minwoo said softly.

 

“No…” Dongwan started to feel faint, “Minwoo...I….”

 

Minwoo grasped his arm tighter feeling him getting unstable, “Stop.” He saw the cab drive up. He helped him into it and sat down next to him. He told the driver to go back to Dongwan’s place.

 

Dongwan closed his eyes, trying to stop the cab from spinning. He felt Minwoo’s hand hold his and he let out a sigh. Minwoo’s hand was warm. He concentrated on the feeling of it. It was comforting. 

 

He must have fallen asleep because Minwoo shook him, “Wan, we’re here.”

 

Dongwan got out of the cab, he was tired but his stomach wasn’t upset anymore. Minwoo helped him to the door and his friend got the keys out. Once inside Dongwan made his way to the bedroom, stumbling as he did. He got to the bed and flopped down on it, he didn’t even bother taking off his shoes.

 

Minwoo had followed him into the room. He started to help Dongwan by taking off his shoes. Dongwan groaned, “Thanks…”

 

Minwoo put them aside and just stood there staring at his friend. Dongwan rolled onto his back and looked at him, “Sorry for making you cut out early…”

 

“It’s fine.” Minwoo smiled a bit, “How’s your stomach?”

 

Dongwan put his hand on his stomach, “Better…”

 

Minwoo rubbed his palms together, looking uneasy, “Good…”

 

Dongwan frowned, “About what you said tonight…”

 

“It’s fine, really.” Minwoo looked away, “I just needed you to know…” He looked back up at him with that look that made his friend disheartened, “C-Can I hold you?”

 

Dongwan blushed but nodded anyways, “Sure.”

 

Minwoo slowly got on the bed onto his side and put his arm across his friend’s chest. He scooted closer and hugged his friend. Dongwan just laid there and closed his eyes, concentrating on his friend’s arms. Minwoo squeezed him a bit, shifting as he moaned some pressing himself as close as he could to Dongwan. 

 

Dongwan put his hand on the arm across his chest and let out a deep breath. It was comforting to have Minwoo there next to him. It had always been that way. Yet now? With his friend confessing that he liked him more than a friend. It was different.

 

It was something that maybe Dongwan would like more of.