Chapter 2

Ardor

 

Dongwan woke up the next morning with a headache. He realized he was alone in the bed which made him feel a bit upset. He slowly got up and looked around, there was no evidence of his friend being there. He sighed to himself and got ready for the new day. It was a travel day, they were to go home and relax after a circuit of concerts overseas.

 

Dongwan met up with the rest of the group as they piled in a van to get to the airport. Dongwan sat squished between Andy and Minwoo. Minwoo hadn’t said much that morning and sat there with his arms crossed. He wore sunglasses and a hat. Dongwan glanced at him and wondered what was wrong. Minwoo stared out the window the entire trip. Did Dongwan do something wrong?

 

Not much else had happened until they got onto the plane. Minwoo had a seat next to Dongwan, who took the window. Dongwan stared out the window wondering what was wrong with his friend. He had been very quiet the entire time. 

 

Once the plane took off they sat in silence. He jumped a bit when he felt a hand grab his. He turned his head to see Minwoo staring at him. Dongwan frowned, “What’s wrong?”

 

Minwoo took off his sunglasses and smiled at his friend, “Nothing.”

 

“You’ve been quiet this morning…” Dongwan glanced down at their hands.

 

“Just a lot on my mind…” Minwoo frowned slightly as he squeezed his friend’s hand.

 

“Oh…” Dongwan looked back out the window.

 

Minwoo rubbed the top of his friend's hand with his thumb, he relaxed in his seat and closed his eyes. Dongwan looked over at him and down to his hand. Something seemed off. Why was Minwoo so touchy? And it wasn’t the normal hugs and hand holding they’ve done before. It felt different. He looked back out the window and let his hand be held and rubbed. 

 

Minwoo had opened his eyes after a good twenty minutes and turned his head to his friend, “Hey Wan…”

 

Dongwan blinked and looked at him, his chest tightened when he noticed the way his friend looked at him, “Y-Yea?”

 

Minwoo went to speak but just shook his head and turned his head back. Dongwan frowned, confused and a bit disheartened. The way Minwoo had looked at him made his heart skip. He hadn’t seen his friend look at him that way before. What was going on?

 


 

They arrived back home and they all went their separate ways to their own homes. The group’s activities were done for the moment. Dongwan walked into his house, tossing his keys in a bowl as he took off his shoes. He was tired, he spent the whole morning thinking about Minwoo. He wondered why his friend was acting so strange. He jumped at the sound of someone knocking on the door. 

 

He answered the door and saw Minwoo standing there with a grin on his face, “M-Minwoo? Why are you here?”

 

“I need to talk to you…” Minwoo said softly as Dongwan let him in.

 

Dongwan followed him into the living room where he sat himself down in a chair. Minwoo slumped down on the couch with a sigh, “It’s about my girl…”

 

Dongwan frowned, not wanting to really think about her, “What about her?”

 

“She…” Minwoo started but didn’t finish as he held out his arms to his friend, “Come here…”

 

Dongwan blushed, “W-What?”

 

“Come here.” Minwoo said sternly.

 

Dongwan got up from his chair and went over to him. Minwoo wrapped his arms around Dongwan’s waist and pulled him close. Dongwan blushed as he stood there, “Minwoo?”

 

Minwoo rubbed his head against his friend’s belly but didn’t say anything. Dongwan put his hands on Minwoo’s arms, “Minwoo...what’s going on?”

 

Minwoo sighed but didn’t say anything as he held him closer, letting out a small groan. Dongwan swallowed hard, unsure what to do. Minwoo slowly removed his arms, “She keeps talking about how we’re going to get married…”

 

Dongwan looked down at him, “Did you propose to her?”

 

“No…” Minwoo looked up at him, “I think with Eric getting married...she thinks…” He sighed and looked down at his feet.

 

“Do you not love her?” Dongwan asked as he backed away only to have his friend grab his hand.

 

“I...don’t know…” Minwoo confessed as he held his friend’s hand, “I….” He looked up at him, “Can I hold you?”

 

Dongwan’s eyes widened. Again Minwoo asked that question. What was with this behavior? He just nodded and Minwoo pulled him onto the couch. Dongwan sat down next to him and his friend wrapped his arms around him. Minwoo shifted a bit so Dongwan’s head would rest on his shoulder. Dongwan blushed as Minwoo closed his eyes and held him close. What was going on? First talk of marriage to a girl he might not even love? Then wanting to hold his friend? For what reason? 

 

Dongwan just looked around his living room, feeling awkward, not sure what to do or say. Minwoo shifted a bit more, “Wan…”

 

"Yea?” 

 

“I…” He sighed a bit, “I don’t love her…”

 

Dongwan furrowed his brow, “Then why are you with her?”

 

“It just seemed like the right thing to do…” He said softly.

 

“Why?” 

 

“I…” He groaned a bit, “I...can’t die alone…”

 

Dongwan eyes widened in shock, “W-What do you mean?” He removed himself from his friends embraced and looked at him, “Minwoo...you’re not alone. You have your family and Shinhwa...”

 

Minwoo placed his hand on Dongwan’s cheek, “And you…” 

 

Dongwan blushed as he nodded, “You won’t die alone…don’t say things like that...”

 

Minwoo’s hand fell from Dongwan’s face, “I can’t break her heart though…”

 

Dongwan frowned, “You’re giving her false hope...she thinks you love her. Have you told her so?”

 

Minwoo nodded and looked away, “I wanted to make her happy…”

 

“But…” Dongwan sighed as he watched Minwoo’s hand landed on his thigh and rub it, “Why?”

 

“Cause I can’t have what I want…” Minwoo said softly in almost a whisper.

 

Dongwan frowned and removed Minwoo’s hand from his thigh and held it, “You need to break up with her…”

 

“I know…” Minwoo sighed, “I…”

 

Dongwan let go of his hand, “We’ll be here for you when you do.”

 

“Will you?” Minwoo asked as he stared at him.

 

Dongwan nodded, “Of course. You’re my best friend.” He noticed him cringing at the word friend.

 

Minwoo smiled sadly but didn’t say much else. They sat there in silence for a moment before Minwoo stood up, “I better get going...she’s waiting for me…”

 

“Oh ok.” Dongwan followed him to the door, “Let me know if you need anything.”

 

Minwoo nodded and went out the door, “I will.”

 

Dongwan shut the door and sighed. Some of what Minwoo was doing made sense. Of course he was deep in thought, he didn’t love the woman he was with. Yet wanting to hold his friend and looking at him the way he did was confusing. Dongwan shook it off and went on with his day, having a feeling he would hear from his friend later that day.