we're burning under vivid skies

you don't have to have my back

No attempts at conversation and Miyeon keeps it that way. She might as well have been alone for the past hour except there’s the patter of footsteps and the occasional huff. 

 

She didn’t have a destination in mind, leading Shuhua to the middle of nowhere. Her feet just happened to take her up the mountain, which in hindsight, might’ve been too excessive. Any place out of sight, far from prying eyes would do. 

 

Even though humans are unable to see their weapons, it would be inconvenient to train her in the city. 

 

She turns to face her new companion. It feels a bit clumsy saying the girl’s name aloud so she doesn’t.   

 

“Hold this.” She hands Shuhua one of her black arrows, praying everything will happen accordingly. In theory, this should work and Miyeon has thought about it a lot. Perhaps too much. Miyeon steps back, waiting. 

 

“What am I supposed to do with this?” says Shuhua. 

 

“Hold it.”

 

“Why?” 

 

“Just do it.” Miyeon ignores Shuhua’s judgemental stare, opting to focus on the arrow itself. Her gaze almost burning a hole. Shuhua, still holding the arrow, waves it awkwardly in circles. 

 

The problem is that reapers aren’t created. They’re born and when that happens, their weapons are already by their sides. Miyeon had been expecting a sword, a staff, or even a deadly farming tool to be there when she went to wake Shuhua. 

 

Nothing had appeared overnight. Frustration wracking her mind, she let the girl sleep for another hour so that she could go out and slay monsters. And to ruminate on a solution. 

 

Since Shuhua does not have a weapon herself, she must obtain a pre-existing one. 

 

“Can I give it back to you?” 

 

“No.” Miyeon convinces herself that this will work. See, that arrowhead is elongating. The feather tips? Molting. A long slender grip? Growing. She blinks, confirming what’s unfolding is actually real. A smile tugs on her lips as Miyeon watches the unordinary spectacle before her very eyes. In a flash, she wipes it off her face because she must welcome another sword enthusiast to the group. 

 

There is only Soojin with her serrated twin blades, but one sword wielder is already too many for Miyeon. If she could pick for her fellow reapers, they would be shooting arrows everyday. 

 

“Wow,” says Shuhua. Sheer wonder erasing skepticism. Shuhua inspects the weapon, tilting it with care. Single edged steel, slightly curved. Two hands on the coal black grip. Finished with a white guard.  

 

“How does it feel?”

 

“Well balanced. Not too heavy or light.” 

 

“Good.” The sun is setting, warm hues of red dipping below the horizon. An idea springs to mind, impulse driving her actions. It’ll be fine.     

 

“Make your way down the mountain and meet me back at the house. Preferably before sunrise,” says Miyeon. 

 

“What? You can’t do this to me!” Miyeon doesn’t look, sprinting, the landscape blurring into a single mesh of chroma.  

 

She reaches the bottom at a record time. Breathless. Miyeon staggers to the giant oak, the fire in her lungs compelling her to rest. Dropping, leaning against the trunk. 

 

Her body feels awful. The smallest of muscles shriek from exertion. Never mind walking home when a nap is infinitely more appealing.  

 

She doesn’t dwell on her sudden uncharacteristic tiredness, preferring to think about the girl she ditched at the top. 

 

Shuhua will be okay. She’s no longer a fragile human, she has enhanced reflexes, strength. The mountain is teeming with monsters at sundown, but the girl can probably survive. Handle herself. Diving headfirst into the mess is the best kind of training she can receive. 

 


 

“Wake up.” Miyeon refuses to open her eyes. 

 

“Wake up, you evil hag.” Prodding at her cheeks. Miyeon grumbles, swatting the hand away. Seconds pass. All at once, air is knocked out of her lungs, a scream replacing tranquility. Pain seizing her chest. Her eyes shoot open. 

 

“What was that for?” says Miyeon, clutching her ribs. She doesn’t need to see to know there’s a black and blue mark forming. In the distance, she notices the drowsy orange peeking from the dark. It’s dawn.  

 

“You left me alone on the mountain!” says Shuhua. Miyeon scans the girl from head to toe. Hair unkempt. Bruises, burns, and dirt, not a single spot is untouched. Light cuts are scattered here and there, crimson blooming on her skin, but it’s unfair, isn’t it? The stars will align for certain individuals, blessing, gracing them with the beauty of broken glass. When they’ve nearly been smashed to smithereens by freakish creatures of the night.   

 

“You rolled down the mountain?” Another punch, this time in the shoulder. A twinge ripples through her body, fading just as quickly. 

 

“I can’t believe you were sleeping here while I was fighting for my life,” says Shuhua. 

 

“You didn’t die! Isn’t that good?”

 

“That’s not it!” 

 

“But that is it, you should learn to protect yourself above all others first! That is the lesson you should’ve learned on your way down.” 

 

“You gave me a sword and told me to figure out how to swing it while a hundred yellow spiders chased me. Spitting lightning at my feet,” growls Shuhua. 

 

Their match escalates in fervor, in intensity. “Why are you shouting?” yells Miyeon. She’s certain she will lose her voice tomorrow. 

 

“Because a giant spider electrocuted me! I don’t know, why shouldn’t I not scream at you?” 

 

“You didn’t even raise your voice when I told you, you now live forever.”

 

“I’m shy with strangers!” It was the tone, the blatant voice crack. Clashing with the irony and the peculiarity, triggering an emotion she has almost forgotten. That she had submerged beneath repression. The sound isn't pretty, but it doesn't have to be. Pure unadulterated laughter spills from and Miyeon can’t remember the last time she had let go. 

 

“Shy? What are you, a child?” says Miyeon. Shuhua’s face contorts, struggling to answer, her wits lagging behind. 

 

“Shut up! I’m twenty.” Miyeon would’ve stopped laughing by now, but she continues, seeing Shuhua join in. Rivalling her in volume and equally aware of the ridiculousness.  

 

Miyeon embraces this juvenile immaturity with her whole being.   



AN: This chapter was brought to you by nano - omoide kakera and osu which I finally played again after 6 years. I’ll leave you guys wondering why Miyeon was tired.

 

Thanks for reading and commenting.