starving to understand myself

you don't have to have my back

400 years ago 

 

It’s one of those days. Miyeon holds out her hand, palm facing up. Droplets fall, gently hitting her skin. The sky is darker than before, signalling an incoming storm. 

 

Fathers, mothers, children. All quickening their steps, keen to avoid the rain. Though for Miyeon, there is no rush. She’s hanging around, not minding the dirt coating her feet. Just like a street rat.  

 

She has forever. Time isn’t fleeting; she can watch it spill between her fingers and she wouldn’t blink. A rainstorm is the least of her worries. Frowning, Miyeon recalls the last thought flitting through her mind.  

 

Hunger. 

 

Striking her bones, clawing at her stomach even though she already ate. This aching feeling lingers, rooting itself inside, similar to an unwanted child. A parasite. 

 

It’s not starvation because she doesn’t need to eat. 

 

Maybe she has confused hunger for something else. She seems to be doing that a lot more recently, mistaking things, ignoring the truth. 

 

Soyeon scolds her more and more, hounding her for her errors. Small blunders could happen to anyone, but perhaps it’s true Miyeon has been a bit disconnected from the world, having her head in the clouds. A reminder is welcome every now and then to pull her back to what is real.  

 

Otherwise, she’d think that Soyeon was challenging her authority. Her position as leader of the reapers. 

 

Insecurity over such a trivial matter would be her downfall. There really is no reason for her to doubt Soyeon. The girl only wants the best for all of them and she trusts her as her second-in-command. 

 

In the meantime, Miyeon will take whatever she can today and enjoy her patrol. She had slipped away from the girls, saying that she'll be fine on her own. 

 

What kind of a leader would she be if she can't even handle pesky monsters by herself?

 

Before she left, the girls had looked at her, emotion clouding their eyes. Miyeon has it figured out. It’s pity and concern. 

 


 

Freedom is wandering the streets alone at night, occasionally shooting at monsters with her bow. Seeing them crumble, leaving behind mountains of ashes, is satisfying. The way her arrows cleanly pierce through their eyes comforts her. 

 

She should probably return since she has slain a more than sufficient amount of imps. The entire human population could be alive for a millennia thanks to her actions today. Yet it still isn’t enough. For once, nobody is watching her for mistakes. No one has propped her up on a pedestal, waiting for her to come painfully crashing down in shame. 

 

Miyeon is allowed to deal with her wants, chasing after liberty, sating her own selfish needs. Her yearning has briefly retreated.     

 

The rain soaks through her clothes, but she keeps going, seeking new prey. Never mind the cold wet fabric clinging to her body, this is the first time in a long while that she has felt this good. 

 

Her fingers grip her bow, refusing to let go. One more round down the alley wouldn’t hurt. She walks quietly, alert for any signs of trouble.     

 

A low growl reaches her ears and her pulse quickens. Miyeon reaches for an arrow, preparing to nock it. She shuffles slowly, heading further into the alley, scanning with care. 

 

Another growl, even louder, but that isn’t all. Underneath the hideous horned creature, is a young woman. White tunic in shreds, diluted red seeping through. Razor-sharp claws above her chest. 

 

With a practiced motion, Miyeon lets her arrow fly through the air, slicing the horns off. Torment erupts on the creature’s face. It screams and screams. 

 

Then it turns towards her. Racing at an inhuman speed, claws extended. She doesn’t blink, pulling out the dagger strapped to her thigh. 

 

At the last second, she lowers herself, claws cutting through strands of hair. Driving her knife into the monster’s side. 

 

White runes snake all over its body, defiling grotesquerie. 

 

And she’s left with frost drifting to the ground. 

 

Cracking her knuckles, Miyeon stands straight, stretching. Fastens the dagger back to her thigh. She heads over to the woman, just to see if she’s still alive. 

 

The woman’s face tells her she can’t be more than thirty. If Miyeon had to guess, she’d be around 20 years old. There’s not even a wrinkle in sight. 

 

Miyeon throws her head to the sky, a muted laugh escaping. Soyeon. Minnie. Soojin. Yuqi. They’re all wrong. It’s not the disappointed expressions adorning their eyes. 

 

This is pity. 

 

Her own hunger returns in full force. The reaper checks her bow for the last time, grabbing a final arrow. The woman’s chest barely rises up and down. Shallow breaths, lessening. 

 

She knows fatal wounds when she sees them. 

 


 

Staggering, Miyeon pants, entering the room. Four pairs of eyes lock onto the body slung over her shoulders. Incredulous gazes directed her way. 

 

“Miyeon, with all due respect, but is… is that a human girl?” voices Yuqi, wavering. Not bothering to answer right away, Miyeon lowers the girl onto the floor, tearing what’s left of the tunic away. Revealing gaping cuts. 

 

“Soojin. Minnie. Get over here and help me,” says Miyeon. The two reapers begin to come to her side, but an arm darts out, halting them in their path. 

 

“What is going on?” Soyeon’s tone is low. Guttural. 

 

“Not now,” Miyeon mutters, hands busy, pressing cloth in vain to stop the flow of blood.

 

“Help me save her, please,” she adds. No one comes closer. Miyeon looks up, glaring at them. Looking pointedly at Minnie and Soojin, she tries again. 

 

“Heal the girl right now.” She has never taken to the healing arts like with the bow. Miyeon curses herself under her breath. 

 

“The girl will become a reaper if we heal her, you know that right?” squeaks out Soojin. 

 

“I do!” she yells. Minnie and Soojin’s eyes shift to Soyeon who is still blocking them. They don’t try at all. Then Miyeon understands. She has been such a fool.   

 

“I’ll do anything!” She hopes she doesn’t regret this. She should’ve seen it coming from a mile away. 

 

“Anything?” says Soyeon. Miyeon clenches harder, gripping the ripped fabric. 

 

“Yes.”