Chapter 2: A Picture

Stolen Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“YOU!” Minju exclaims.

Her fingers point at Chaewon in an accusing manner. Chaewon ignores Minju and proceeds to do a 90 degree bow towards Heechul. She has her hands over her thigh and made sure to stay in that position until she finished her welcoming statement.

“Welcome to our residence. I am Kim Chaewon, the second daughter of the Lee Family. I hope you’ll have a peaceful stay in our home.”

Heechul was taken aback by Chaewon’s formality. He stood up and bowed too, he ushered Minju to do the same.

“I’m Chef Kim Heechul and this is my daughter Minju.”

Heechul pulls Minju to stand straight up. 

“Go on, introduce yourself,” he whispers to her.

Minju awkwardly bows and wave her hand. 

“You two must have met each other in school already?” Hyoyeon wonders. 

Minju’s eyes widened and her thoughts trails to the time she confessed and then to the incident earlier where she shouted at Chaewon in front of half the student body. She wants the earth to swallow her whole. She couldn’t be more embarrassed. 

“We’ve never really met until a funny incident that happened at school a couple of days ago,” Chaewon says.

Hyoyeon leads her to the living room for her to join them. 

“Is that so?” Hyoyeon utters.

Minju plays along with whatever Chaewon said and dumbly nods her head. Chaewon took the seat adjacent to her. 

“That’s probably because Chaewon never really has friends to begin with,” Chaeyeon teases her younger sister.

Chaewon ignores her sister’s statement and accepts the cup of the tea her mom gave her. 

“I--- I never expected Chaewon to be part of the Lee residence,” Minju stutters and she earns a smack on the head from her father.

“You shouldn’t speak like that!” Heechul scolds her.

“It’s okay Chul. Many people also don't know Wonnie is a Lee by heart,” Hyukjae says.

Hyoyeon sits beside her husband. 

“Wonnie decided to keep her father’s last name to honor it. She’s the last heir of the Kim’s and that’s why she felt obligated to keep it,” Hyoyeon explains to them.

“I see,” Minju mumbles and stares at Chaewon who is quietly drinking her tea.

“Won unnie! I finished my homework but I have some difficulty with one English sentence,” Chaeryeong takes a book from her bag that was on the floor. 

“That’s great,” Chaewon says.

“Today, I think I should ask Minju unnie for help instead of you,” Chaeryeong asks as she opens a page of the thick book she’s holding. 

“I think so too,” Chaewon agrees.

“Me?” Minju asks.

Chaewon smirks at her as she continues sipping on her tea. Minju looks at her, then at everyone who is looking at her expectantly, and then to Chaeryeong. Minju thinks of all the F she had in her English classes.  However, how bad can a middle school English be? 

“It’s just this one sentence that I have to translate into Korean,” Chaeryeong shows her the sentence. 

“Sh---shall I com---pare thee to a sum---mer’s da-y…” Minju reads it aloud in English.

She tries to rake her brain out for the Korean equivalent words of the said sentence. The first word that came to her is summer.

“Yeorum!” She said pointing to the word “Summer”.

“De-y,” Minju thinks hard for the word day.

“Il!” she exclaims. 

As Minju’s trying her best to think of the words to complete the sentence, she hears a chuckle from the person towards her. Then the sound of glass hitting the plate and finally Chaewon’s sigh. 

“Shall I compare you to a summer’s day,” Chaewon finally says as she’s done with her tea. “Those are just basic english for a highschool senior like you. I guess you’re dumber than what I take you for,” Chaewon adds.

“Wonnie!” Hyoyeon scolds her daughter.

“Babo.”

Minju hears Chaeryeong whisper before closing the book she’s holding. 

“Thank you so much unnie, I’m going to the room now,” Chaeryeong says and runs upstairs.  

“Father, I think Sakura and I are going to retire for the day too,” Chaeyeon announces. 

“It seems like I have to show Minju her room now.”

Hyoyeon stands up and so does Minju. Chaewon is about to retreat to her room too when Hyoyeon calls for her. She looks back at them and raises a brow.

“What is it?”

“Why don’t you help carry Minju’s things up to her room?” Hyoyeon asks. 

Hyoyeon beams and leads Minju while Chaewon is left there. Chaewon looks at the two bags that’s laying on Minju’s feet earlier. She comes down from the stairs and takes both of it as if it’s weightless. 

Hyoyeon shows Minju her room. It was pink with frilly blankets and stuffed toys around it. On the side was a study table and beside it was a dresser. It was very feminine and perfect for Minju’s taste. She stares at everything in awe.

“Do you love it?” Hyoyeon asks her.

Minju was rendered speechless until she beams and jumps. “This is perfect Mrs. Lee!” Minju hops as she looks at the figurines and stuffed toys laying around.

“I’m glad you like it. The kids never liked being feminine. They take after their fathers and always preferred blue over pink. They were all mature and preferred instruments or paint brushes over dolls. None of them even had a stuffed toy like this.”

“How about Chaewon-ssi?”

“Wonnie was the worst! She would dress up as a boy and play on the tree house. Sometimes she would be playing with the robots her father makes and would throw away every doll I gave her,” Hyoyeon says.

Minju imagines baby Chaewon playing with toy robots and mud on her face like a little boy. She giggles at the sight of that. 

There is a thud and she sees Chaewon leaning over her door with her arm crossed on her chest. Minju immediately takes notice of her bags on the floor. 

“Well then I’ll leave you two to unpack. Chaewon help Minju with unpacking her stuff,” Hyoyeon orders her.

Chaewon nods her head and picks up Minju’s bags again. 

“Where should I put these?” Chaewon asks. 

Minju remembers that Chaewon called her dumb earlier and her anger raged. She pulled her bags from Chaewon’s grasp.

“Give me those! I don’t need your help!” 

Chaewon didn’t even put up a fight and let go of the bags in one go, causing everything to flee. Minju scrambles to pick up everything and the sight of the red envelope that Minju was meant to give her didn’t escape her eyes.

“Get out. I don’t need you!” Minju says.

“Right, you’ve said that you’d never ask for my help.” Chaewon sighs and steps away from her.

Before Chaewon completely exits the room she looks over Minju. “Just so you know. Because of you, a middle school student’s table was crammed into my room. You’re such a burden,” she says.

Minju huffs a sigh. 

“A burden huh?” 

She picks up everything on the floor with anger. She’s determined to prove to Chaewon that she’s not dumb neither a burden. 

Minju rolled around the bed when the morning light hit her face. It’s the first morning with the Lee’s. Minju stepped out of her room and tiptoed around, hoping no one was still awake. She looked at the name sign hanging on the door right beside hers. 

“Chaewon” then down below is “Chaeryeong”. That’s what Chaewon meant when she said that a middle school student’s table is in her room. She and Chaeryeong have to share a room because of her. She guesses that’s where Chaeryeong’s hatred is coming from, she was kicked out of her room.

When Minju entered the dining area, Hyoyeon was already done preparing breakfast. She greete

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter