Valentine's Day

Parallel Universe

Title: Valentine's Day
Genre: Fluff

 


 

It is Valentine’s Day.

Kibum his side to snuggle closer to the warmth beside him, but frowned when his arm circled around cold nothingness. As consciousness slowly returned to him, Kibum became aware that save for his outstretched arm, his body was tucked snugly under the duvet.

He opened his eyes. Where was Jinki?

Kibum thought that Jinki had gone to the bathroom, and would soon be back to cuddle with him some more. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and yawned hugely. He turned to lie on his back. He stared at the ceiling until the patterns were beginning to make him feel dizzy. But Jinki was not back yet.

Tsk.

It is Valentine’s Day.

Jinki should be here.

Reluctantly, he pulled the duvet off his body, shivering a bit at the sudden loss of warmth and sat up. Taemin’s bed was empty and neatly made just like Jinki’s, but the older boy’s bed had obviously not been slept in at all.

Kibum shuffled to the bathroom, only to meet with a half-awake Jonghyun who was brushing his teeth.

“Where’s Jinki-hyung?” Kibum asked, watching as Jonghyun raised his head to return him a blank stare.

“I don’t know, I just woke up.” Jonghyun rolled his eyes, slurring his words through the toothpaste in his mouth.

“You would know if you weren’t such a sleepyhead.”

Jonghyun spit the mouthful of toothpaste into the sink, raised his head again to shout at Kibum’s retreating back, “Hey, it’s Valentine’s Day!”

Kibum waved a dismissive hand at him.

It is Valentine’s Day. SHINee was given the rare day-off since they had only just returned from Paris and was preparing for comeback. Jinki’s ankle was still in a bad state and he should not be overexerting it, which was the whole point why he should be here.

Minho and Taemin were in the living room, battling away on the PS3 to a new game that Minho bought in Paris.

“Where’s Jinki-hyung?” Kibum regurgitated his question.

“He went out.” Minho said, not even sparing a glance at Kibum as he pressed furiously at the buttons on his controller.

“What? He went out? But he’s injured! It’s cold outside! Why didn’t you stop him?” Kibum asked in annoyance, well aware that he was overreacting. However, the worry bubbling in his chest made him ignore the exasperation coming from Minho.

“Ahhh! What the hell!” Minho shouted and Taemin grinned gleefully beside him, obviously in triumph.

Knowing that he wasn’t going to get anything useful out of the pair, Kibum went back to the room to get his phone, intending to call Jinki. But, Jinki’s phone was placed right beside his on the desk the way they left it last night.

He didn’t even bring his phone?!

Kibum sighed. He washed up and began to pace around the house. He pressed randomly at the buttons on his phone. His fingers unconsciously summoned a selca of him and Jinki on the screen.

Kibum pulled on a coat and scarf, his shoes, and went out of the dorm.

He was pacing the street right outside the dorm, hands deep within the pockets of his coat and half his face hidden behind his thick woolen scarf (well it’s Jinki’s, really), scanning the flocks of people who were walking pass. Searching for that one person with the tousled brown locks and strikingly bright eyes.

Kibum wasn’t sure how much time had passed but his nose was already turning numb from the biting cold when he finally saw him. He was limping, clearly still having some difficulties with walking properly. His hands were laden with paper bags and even from the distance, Kibum could see that he was frowning.

It was all he could do to run up, almost knocking Jinki over with the speed at which he was running, and wrap his arms around the stunned boy. Kibum let go after a split-second and regained his composure, remembering they were in public.

“Where did you go, Jinki? I was so worried! Why didn’t you bring your phone with you? Does your ankle still hurt?” A string of questions fell from Kibum’s lips but his worry dissolved bit by bit, when a warm smile replaced the shock that was previously on Jinki’s face.

“Kibum-ah, calm down! I’m okay, see? I just went out to get breakfast and a little something for everyone. It’s Valentine’s Day!” The delighted expression painted across the older boy’s features tugged at Kibum’s heart. He looked down to the bunch of bags in Jinki’s hands, taking the one in his left hand and looked into it curiously.

“Ah, no no, not that!” Jinki was going to grab the bag out of Kibum’s hands, but it was too late.

Kibum gasped. It was a huge bouquet of red roses, nicely wrapped in pink and red tissue and absolutely beautiful.

Jinki deflated visibly, lips turned down in a small pout as he said, “I wanted to give you a surprise…”

“No, no, Jinki. It’s fine. It’s perfect. I love it.” Kibum shook his head repeatedly as he gazed down at the bouquet nestled in the paper bag, not quite believing that Jinki actually put so much thought and effort into the occasion. Despite being injured, he still hobbled out alone in the chilly winter air to buy him flowers.

“Jinki, don’t do this again okay? You should let me take care of you when you’re injured and not run out without even telling me. Since it’s Valentine’s day, I’ll let you off this time.” Kibum said as he looked up, a smile creeping onto his face.

“Ne!” Jinki answered happily, all eye-smile and bunny teeth.

 “Let’s go back now, the food is going to get cold.” Kibum took over the rest of the bags in Jinki’s hands and held his arm to support him.

“Kibum-ah, saranghae.”

“I love you too.”

It is Valentine’s Day, and Jinki is here with him. 

 


 

A.N.: I wrote it on a whim so... Sorry if it failed :/ I have a few more scenarios in my head that I thought of today but Valentine's Day has ended in my country so ): I'll post when I write them (as belated V'day stories?), or I'll leave this as it is, or I'll delete this story haha. 

Comments are love! ^^ 

xoxo.