Chapter 1: Sealed Fates.

The Rogue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

'' Father! '' Haeun's voice rose above the sacred silence in the throne room.

 

The madness in her eyes, the redness in her cheeks, the way her knuckles turned white because she clenched her fists too hard, were the first things King Moon-Sik noticed at his daughter. He always told her that a future queen should never let those emotions control her but Haeun was still far from the queen he wanted to see.

 

'' This is not a request from your father but a command from your king,'' he said on a low firm tone, wearing a stony expression on his face.

 

'' How can I marry a stranger? A man that I don't even know?!  Father, please! '' she begged one more time, hoping the king would change his mind.

 

'' He is the future king of Exgard and this marriage will maintain the peace between our kingdoms for a long time. ''

 

King Moon-Sik's reign brought stability and hope. Hope that one day, Arthgard will become one of the strongest kingdoms. He knew that the alliance with Exgard was something he couldn't lose, no matter the cost.

 

'' You are being unfair, father! You are asking me to marry someone I have no feelings for, '' snapped Haeun once again.

 

King Moon-Sik stood up from his throne, placed his hands on her shoulders and looked straight into her eyes.

 

'' Love is a privilege that Kings and Queens don't have and you are the future Queen of Arthgard, the mother of this nation. The only hope those people have for a better future. If you do not marry Seunghyun, the crowned prince of Exgard as we promised then it will be war. The blood will be shed again and we might lose everything including our crowns and heads.''

 

Haeun managed to fake a smile but she felt anxious and scared inside. Her heart was racing and all she wanted to do at that moment was to run away from the huge responsibility that was weighing so heavy on her shoulders.

 

'' Come, let me show you something, '' said King Moon-Sik before he led his daughter to the castle's balcony.

 

The sun sank lower in the sky, giving way to the darkness of the night to embrace Arthgard.

 

'' Everything you see will be yours one day. The crown comes with a lot of responsibilities, sacrifices, pain and tears but in the end, everything will be worth it.''

 

'' I am scared, father. '' Haeun admitted as sobs thundered through her body.

 

'' Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is just another step to greatness. Observe and remain silent until the right moment. Don't show your emotions to anyone, it makes you look weak and pitiful. And the most important thing, '' King Moon-Sik made a short break before he continued " Never wait for a man to save you, the queen always saves the king "

 

Haeun wiped the first tear that dripped down her pale cheek with the long sleeve of her dress but as much as she tried to hold it in, the beads of water started to fall one after another, without any sign of stopping. The muscles of her chin trembled and brick by brick her walls crashed down. She buried her face into her father's chest and allowed herself to feel everything for one last time. The pain and the fear came in waves, destroying ruthlessly everything in their way.

 

She knew that when the sun will rise again she will have to leave her home and go to Exgard to meet her fate. A fate she could no longer change. She had only one night left to bury the scared girl that was now crying in the arms of her father and become the powerful queen that Arthgard truly needed.

 

 

-Next morning in Exgard-

 

'' Your Highness, his Majesty, the King is expecting you in the throne hall, '' said the royal guard, bowing his head.

 

'' What for? Isn't my brother's company entertaining enough? '' asked Jiyong as he ran his fingers through his dark hair and poured another cup of alcohol.

 

'' Your Highness, please...'' the guard insisted.

 

" Let me guess, he threatened you that you will lose your head if you do not convince me to come."

 

Jiyong's voice held no emotion, no symphaty for the man who stood helpless befo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter