Act 2: Family

The Tale of Nokdu: Unfinished Tales
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Act 2

Family

 

Hwang Tae’s eyes widened when he saw them.

The women who defended his brother in the Palace.

But, also the ones who attacked him and his father several times.

“You…”

One of them, looked like she was the leader, bowing slightly. “I’m Lady Sook. I believe this island is where Lord Nok Du lives.”

Yun Jeo stared at the women. His instinct told him they were not ordinary women, but also not dangerous. He stepped forward to greet them, only for Hwang Tae already one step ahead from him. His son stood tall in front of him, shielding him and Jang Gun.

“What is your intention to come to this island?” Hwang Tae asked.

Lady Sook stared at the man in front of her. She also recognized him from the Palace and with him being in the island indicated he also had relation to Nok Du, although for a slight moment she thought he was sided with Grand Prince Neungyang. And the other man, she knew him. Lord Nok Du said once he was his father. She helped him escape from the chancellor’s house, but he seemed not to know her. That was understandable because she hid her face back then.

“Lord Nok Du told us to come here when things are getting worse,” the leader of the Mulwodan finally answered. And then, Sook introduced her entourages. “They are my friends, Yeon-Hoon and Jeong-sook.”

“I know you helped my brother, but I also know your corps were the one who attacked us,” Hwang Tae went on. “You were the reason my brother had to go to Hanyang to find out about the attack and you wish us to just believe you?”

Yun Jeo stared at Lady Sook. “If Nok Du told her about this island, that means she’s trustworthy.”

“Father!”

Lady Sook smiled slightly, bowing again, realizing the man in front of her was Nok Du’s brother. “I know we made a mistake, but a lot of things happened. As for now, I may say Lord Nok Du is our ally and he’s also one of us.”

Nok Du’s father raised his eyebrows. “He’s one of yours?” He looked at the other two women and recalled the moment they attacked his family. All of them were women, they must be the female corps. “You accept male member too?”

The women cleared their throats while Jang Gun only grimaced. The Master decided to interject. “They must have been tired from the journey. Why don’t we let them to rest? We have some time until Nok Du wakes up.”

Lady Sook looked at Jang Gun, worry on her eyes. “How is he?”

Jang Gun sighed sadly. “Not good, but he’s holding up.” He gestured the women. “Come. We can talk more.”

The men escorted the Mulwodan’s members to the village and Hwang Tae had to admit those women were indeed trustworthy for the widows greeted and hugged them, it was like seeing a family reunion. Nok Du’s brother felt a slight pang in his heart. These women might know Nok Du not longer than he was, but they were loyal to his brother.

And him?

He wanted the life which he thought it was taken because of Nok Du while these women followed his brother to this remote island willingly.

Hwang Tae felt ashamed on himself.

Not to mention what might his brother felt after hearing what His Majesty’s had said.

“Hwang Tae?”

Nok Du’s brother blinked and saw his father, Master Jang Gun, and the women were all looking at him curiously. He blushed when his eyes met with Lady Sook’s.

He cleared his throat. “Yes, Father?”

Yun Jeo looked at his son closely. “Is there something wrong?”

Hwang Tae fidgeted on his feet. “Ah…no. Everything is fine.”

Nok Du’s father nodded and gestured the women to enter a room. Hwang Tae took a deep br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter