Act 3: Nok Du's Decision

The Tale of Nokdu: Unfinished Tales
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Act 3

Nok Du’s Decision

 

Nok Du slowly opened his eyes, seeing a blurry figure above him. His body ached, but his heart ached the most. Hearing hurtful words from his real father, The King, and then had to separate with his real mother, The Queen, when they could meet after 20 years were making him very exhausted.

Nok Du just wanted to live happily with someone he deeply cared and liked.

With her.

With Dong Joo.

He almost smiled when he remembered her.

Why are you always saying you’re alright?

He was indeed not alright.

When Nok Du sharpened his sight, he could see Yeon Geun who was sitting next to him. The blanket was so comfortable and he tried to focus. The last thing he remembered, he and Dong Joo were inside a hut and she hugged him.

“Where are we?” he asked.

Yeon Geun sniffed. “We’re in the island. Master Jang Gun said this is where you lived before you came to Hanyang.”

“Oh…” Nok Du relaxed and then, he realized something. “Is Dong Joo here?”

Yeon Geun cleared his throat. “Ah…about that…”

Nok Du’s body turned colder. Memories when Dong Joo left him after the attack in the Widow’s Village was not entirely forgotten and now, he had to endure the same thing?

How could she?

Forgetting his pain, he sat up, only realizing the stings on his body.

Ah yes, he tried to stop the revolution, but to no avail.

Well, it didn’t matter anymore, though.

“Your wounds are not fully healed,” Yeon Geun tried to stop him from wearing his jeogori.

“No, I must go to Hanyang.”

Nok Du opened the door, walking outside only fell on his knees when he realized his wounds were indeed not fully healed. He also could feel his blood smearing his jeogori. Stubbornly, he got up and walked again, nearly crossing the gate, but only being held by Yeon Geun.

“This punk! You can’t move yet!”

“Dong Joo! Dong Joo!”

No, he had to meet her.

Why was she leaving him again?

And then, he felt someone hold him and his body reacted on his own. He tried to be free from the grasp, “No! Let me go!”

“Nok Du! Hey!”

He turned sharply and saw his Master. They were all here, but not Dong Joo.

Where was she?

“Master…Dong Joo…where’s Dong Joo?”

“What do you think you’re doing? You need to take care of yourself if you want to see Dong Joo.”

What was he talking about?

Was she alive or…

His breath hitched.

 “Is she…?”

He failed to protect her.

“No!” Suddenly, his Master said. “Don’t be stubborn and listen to me. If you still do this, you’re not only worsen yourself, but you’ll make Dong Joo sad. She has done this for you. Don’t disappoint her.”

What?

What was actually happen?

She said she wanted to live happily with him, but how come she wasn’t here?

Nok Du loosened his grip, both from exhaustion and the pain which slowly took over his body. “She said…she can’t live without me. How can she…”

He couldn’t say anything else for everything suddenly went dark.

Nok Du opened his eyes again, and this time he saw his Master, sitting next to his blanket with folded arms. Jang Gun raised his eyebrows when he saw his disciple regained consciousness for the second time.

“Master?”

“You’re finally awake. I decided to stay here in case you want to repeat what you did before. You surprised all of us, including those widows.”

Nok Du took a deep breath and sat up slowly, looking at his clean jeogori. His Master must have been changing his blood stain one when he was unconscious, and then, staring at the man who also raised him. “How are they?”

“They are fine. Your father and brother, and of course, the vice-curator are also here.”

“Oh…”

Nok Du felt like an ice stabbed into his h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter