Act 5: Lady Kim Goes to Hanyang

The Tale of Nokdu: Unfinished Tales
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Act 5

Lady Kim Goes to Hanyang

 

The sun was just setting on the sky when a boat with six figures sailed in the middle of the ocean. The boat destination was the pier on the mainland. Among the six figures, one figure separated from the rest, a pink jacket covering the figure’s head.

The figure was Nok Du, dressed as Lady Kim.

He travelled light, only brought a bundle of clothes, some money he earned when he was still working in the Palace, and a map given by the Mulwodan’s leader.

One day before his departure to Hanyang, Lady Sook gave him the map of all Grand Prince Neungyang’s properties, the places where the King’s cousin might hide Dong Joo. Nok Du studied the map and planned on where he should stay during his mission.

The boat arrived on the mainland in the afternoon and Nok Du wasn’t surprised when he saw some guards from the Palace on the pier. He lowered his head under his pink jacket when he stepped down from the boat, receiving respective bows from the Palace guards, and he returned it. Nok Du left the pier with satisfying smirk on his face, didn’t hear one of the Palace guards said low, addressing Lady Kim, “She’s lovely.”

Nok Du found an inn in the centre of the city and when the sky turned dark, changing to man’s outfit before starting his surveillance mission. The Palace guards were all over the city, causing him to be extra careful. He visited houses in the map as much as he could before decided to return to the inn, for it was too dangerous for him to continue his searching, moreover jumping to one roof and another.

The next day, Nok Du dressed as Lady Kim and planned to continue his searching on the broad daylight. Disguising as a woman made him could walk freely. And then, he saw the Grand Prince on one of the streets and followed the man to a house. Nok Du opened his map and concluded it was the house he hadn’t had the chance to look the other night. He hid on the corner and saw the King’s cousin stepped out from the house with two swordsmen next to him, and Nok Du planned to visit the house at night.

Nok Du was returning to the inn when he passed by a market. He saw women jewelleries, shoes, and also food; making him remember the moment he spent together with Dong Joo in the market. He approached a booth which was selling hair accessories, seeing lots of beautiful daenggi with bright colours. His mind automatically reverted to Dong Joo, remembering the colours of jeogori she used to wear and decided to buy some as a present for her.

The lady who owned the booth looked at the beautiful widow in front of her, seemed to choose daenggi. She smiled. “They are made with the finest fabric in the city.”

Nok Du smiled and said with Lady Kim’s voice. “Ah, yes.”

“It seems you want to buy them.”

Nok Du nodded and pointed to several daenggi. “I want them.”

The lady raised her eyebrows and took the daenggi, wrapped it up while looking at the widow curiously. The lady thought on why a widow wanted to buy daenggi while she already wore binyeo. It could be for a present.

“Is it for present?” she finally asked.

Nok Du took the wrapped daenggi and gave the lady his money. “It’s for my daughter.”

“Oh…I see,” the lady laughed lightly. “Your daughter must be beautiful.”

“Yes, she is.”

“You raise your daughter on your own? It must be tough for a beautiful lady like you.”

Nok Du chuckled in girlish way. “You can say that.”

“You’re fortunate, though. Not many widows could be like you, My Lady. Most of them must deal with their in-laws’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter