Chapter 2

Her knight in shining armour

Sana woke with a smile on her face but once she had gained full consciousness it turned to a blank expression remembering her dream. She’d dreamt about her and Tzuyu being married and having kids in the castle but she shook her head at the thought, claiming that it was just as ridiculous as the fairy tales Nayeon would read.

She stretched and cracked her bones to properly get her body functioning to pull herself out of bed. When the foam washed off her face she took a few minutes to just look at herself in the mirror, to think. To think about how silly it was that she was already falling for this knight, how she’d never marry a suitor her parents chose for her, to think about the dinner that she had completely forgotten about. 

Dashing into her room, she quickly got dressed and ran out the door just as Nayeon was about to walk in. “You’re up very early.” she commented, quickly trailing behind. “Nayeon go back to your room please, I have no tasks for you today.” Nayeon grabbed her wrist to turn her around. 

“Are you alright?” She worriedly asked. “I just, I need some time on my own. I shall be at the garden if needed.” Nayeon nodded easily. The garden was her most treasured and private place. She always went there to calm down or reflect, the soothing breeze from the wind and the smell of the trees never failed to make her feel better. 

There was a small apple tree in her garden with the sweetest apples. Nayeon always told her it was because she had a sweet heart but Sana just blushed and changed the subject. It was a sacred place, almost a place of worship for her. 

She quickly ran through all the orders and tasks set out for the workers in the kitchen as it was going to be their feast. They had feasts every season and one grand one at the end of every year. There was food for the entire kingdom and everyone got some, it was her first order as queen to bring everyone together and treat everyone with the same amount of respect. 

As she sat on the white wooden bench in her garden her mind wandered to Tzuyu. Her features softened into a smile and she relaxed against the back of the wood. She’d thought that her act of bravery was definitely something much more worthy of a dinner that they received anyway but she wasn’t sure how to make it up to her. She definitely wanted to be more than just friends with her but she knew it would take a lot of time and effort, time and effort she was willing to give. 

A knock sounded through Tzuyu’s room but of course she wasn’t there. Sana tried the handle and it opened the door. She was appalled by the sight. It was nothing fit for the best knight, the same generic cot in almost every room. She made a mental note to make that one of the things to change to payback Tzuyu before her name was called from outside the room, following it out. 

“Do you want to come and try on your gown for tonight?” A girl with a brown bob hair cut spoke. She wore a royal blue dress, the collar cuffed and the hem hanging just below her knees, the sleeves to her elbows. It was one Sana had picked out, like most of the girls’ wardrobe. 

“I need to do something first, I’ll come find you in a minute dear.” Jeongyeon was Sana’s advisor. She was picked by her father and of all his choices Sana though that she was the best. Jeongyeon has the kindest heart ever. She would never be selfish, always putting others ahead of her and it wasn’t just Sana. She helped Sana to keep the castle and kingdom in check and without her Sana wouldn’t be able to function. 

They parted ways at the doorway and Sana found herself by the main doors, stepping out into the fresh air. “Chou Tzuyu?” Tzuyu bowed deeply and was met with what could only be described as a stern look. “Come with me please” Tzuyu audibly gulped but followed her, trailing behind out of respect. 

She was confused as they went the same route she took to her bedroom, only to end up walking in there. “Do you like your room?” Tzuyu silently nodded. “You may speak, dear” She noted the softness in her voice and it made her smile as she quietly answered the question. 

“I think it’s atrocious. You’re the best knight in the kingdom and this is the room you get?” She rhetorically asked, motioning to the room with two hands. “Your majesty, my room is perfect. It was more than I could’ve ever wished for.” 

Sana sighed as she walked out of the room again, beckoning Tzuyu to follow with a finger. She lead her to another room on the second floor. “This shall be your new room.” Tzuyu gaped widely at the room. 

It was roughly five times bigger then her original one and the walls were an almost royal white. She’d never seen anything like it, the silk curtains that matched the bed clothes, the connecting bathroom with a bath so she didn’t need to share, her own wardrobe. “Your majesty, I can’t take such a generous offer.”

”please, I owe you this much dear, otherwise I’d be stuck with a sponge for the rest of my life,” Tzuyu sighed but smiled looking around. “I am very grateful, your honor.” She bowed deeply but Sana pulled her up. “Call me Sana, please.” Tzuyu’s heart fluttered at the queen holding her hand. 

They shared a brief moment of contact before breaking away, the moment almost becoming awkward. “I shall have one of the maids bring your stuff up and I assume I shall see you at the feast?” Tzuyu could only nod as she was still shocked at Sana’s actions. “I look forward to it.”

everyone sat down in their assigned seats. It rarely changed except Tzuyu was further up the table. Sana gave her usual speech, thanking everyone for their hard work and then the eating commenced. Nayeon was next to Tzuyu who was silent so she nudged her to strike up a conversation. 

“How did you get in Sana’s good books?” Tzuyu choked on the potato that she was eating and blushed at Nayeon as she gulped down water. “I-I don’t know.” she quietly said. It was true; she didn’t know. All she’d done was her duty but Sana was giving her extra treatment. 

Nayeon pressed further but gave up once she was absolutely certain she wasn’t going to get anything from Tzuyu. They cleaned up and started to head back to their own rooms. Tzuyu ended up going to her old room. She had a slight panic when she saw all her stuff gone but then remembered her upgrade. 

She lay in her brand new bed and she couldn’t help but have Sana running through her mind. She knew the Queen was nice but she was being almost too nice. All night she wondered why Sana was being so sweet, all different ideas came into her head. 

She could be being exploited, but she had nothing to exploit. Humiliation, but Sana wouldn’t do that to anyone. She thought of a few possibilities before love came into her mind but she rolled over and shook her head at the thought, knowing she’d still dream of her but what she didn’t know, Sana was doing the exact same thing in her bed.