Chapter 4

Her knight in shining armour

Tzuyu couldn’t get the kiss out of her head. She was back out defending the castle but she constantly let her mind wander to Sana. They’d been getting closer and closer but the kiss just pushed Tzuyu away. She didn’t want to be any closer to Sana because she didn’t want to catch feelings that were unrequited, she knew the queen would never love her so she put the idea out of her head and focused on the main gates. 

“Chou Tzuyu?” Tzuyu snapped her neck to see Sana staring up at her. “Follow” she sighed but followed behind her. They walked to the same lounge room where it all began. “How can I help?”

”I was...wondering if you would like to accompany me, I have a ball later and I would like to take the next best thing seems I don’t have a husband...or a wife” Sana noted the change of expression and knew that Tzuyu had caught onto her pause. 

“I would love to go but-” “Queen’s orders” she could tell by Tzuyu’s sigh that it was a yes. “You need to wear this” Sana held up a royal blue suit with tassels and badges all over it and a piece of white fabric going across from shoulder to hip. Tzuyu didn’t miss the wink she sent as she walked into Sana’s bathroom to change. 

She realized that she’d been remembering everything and noting it. Almost everything that Sana did Tzuyu knew and she’d had pictures of it in her head of the exact moment and she knew in her heart that it was wrong to be imagining her queen in such a state but she couldn’t help her thoughts when the queen was so beautiful. 

“Are you ready?” Sana walked in and found Tzuyu buttoning the end of her shirt. They both blushed and she turned away apologizing. “Don’t worry about it Sana, you probably like what you see” she smirked walking out to get her shoes. Sana chuckled as she followed. 

“May you tie this for me?” Tzuyu easily nodded and stood behind Sana’s dress where the lace was. She pulled on them until Sana told her to stop then she began to slowly tie the knot. Tzuyu didn’t even realize just how close to Sana’s bare neck she was but Sana could feel her hot breath creeping. She looked into the mirror and saw Tzuyu gulp as she pulled away. They cleared their throats before finishing up and finally leaving the castle. 

They walked through the doors opened by men standing at the entrance into a Golden room full of people and glass. Sana had their arms linked until she spotted one of her friends and intertwined their fingers to pull her along, only letting go to greet her friend with a hug. 

“Tzu, this is Mina my best friend and her knight Chaeyoung” Tzuyu blushed at the nickname but hid it with a bow. “Oh, so this is the Tzuyu you were telling me about?” Sana playfully smacked her arm and they all laughed. They spoke for a few minutes until Sana excused herself for a drink, Tzuyu tagging along.  

“I hate these things” Sana said, fakest smile ever splayed across her face. “All these royal people who speak like royalty. I’ll never be like them and it hurts my parents but it’s my life and now it’s my kingdom, they don’t make the rules anymore I do”

”you know I think you’re an excellent queen” Sana turned her head with a confused look on it. “You’re much fairer than all of them. They would behead someone if they did what I did but you thanked me and now...” she gazed into Sana’s eyes that glistened making her smile. “Now we’re closer” 

“you wanna get out of here? Me and Mina love the tavern down the road” Tzuyu laughed at the sentence error that she made but held out her arm for Sana to link it. They made their way over to Mina and Chaeyoung and told them that they were heading away, the other two happily following. Since both Sana and Mina hated the fabric of most dresses for balls they both had worn clothes underneath and changed on the way but Chaeyoung and Tzuyu opted to stay in their suits  

“Your father still won’t let up?” Chaeyoung seemed to be the only one to notice Tzuyu’s jaw and fist clenched when they were talking about Sana’s suitors. She muttered something under her breath but none of them caught it so Sana asked her to repeat. “You don’t deserve to be treated like that”

”what do you-” “like you’re a piece of meat” she snapped. “It’s disrespectful that your father is pressuring you into marriage with a man not fit for a king, you said it yourself” she took a gulp of her drink and nearly choked but she didn’t care.

“It’s sweet of you to care” she put her hand on Tzuyu’s that rested on the back of the seat and rubbed her knuckles. “But this is tradition, usually my father would choose but I told him I would never marry if I didn’t choose myself” Tzuyu silently prayed that Sana chose her. 

“Sana you don’t follow traditional, we’re here in a tavern instead of a ball because you prefer to be a normal person. I know you” Mina and Chaeyoung were almost impressed with how Sana and Tzuyu acted around each other. Tzuyu was speaking so informally but Sana was letting her and it made them smile to see the queen finally loosening up after being so tense for so long. 

“I love this song” Sana exclaimed as the song on the radio changed to a slow ballad. “Would you like to dance?” She asked turning to Tzuyu excitedly. “Would I?” Tzuyu asked overly excited but stood up and held out her hand. Sana took it and led her outside, it being so quiet you could still hear the music in the background but Tzuyu was more focused on Sana singing as they slow danced. 

She couldn’t stop smiling when she was holding Sana’s hips, her arms draped over Tzuyu’s shoulders, but when she lowered her head to her chest Tzuyu’s smile fell instantly. She’d been having so much fun with Sana and she didn’t want it to ever end but she knew it would. 

“Sana?” Sana raised her head with a worried expression settling as Tzuyu looked anxious. “I’ve had a really good day with you, I loved it but...” she couldn’t think of the words to say. “If you love me then stop” she blurted out, pushing Sana off her.

”Tzuyu what-” “I love you” Sana’s features softened as she saw tears glistening in Tzuyu’s eyes. “I’ve loved you since I came here but I know that you don’t love me so I said nothing but I can’t hold it in anymore. Hearing about all your suitors just angered me because there’s no love there but I’d love you and take care of you better then those slobs. I thought that there was even the smallest chance that you liked me since you brought me to the ball, then here, when you could’ve had whoever you wanted but I know that you’ll... that you’ll never love a commoner like me” 

Sana was too speechless to move when tears tracked down Tzuyu’s cheeks. “I’m on night duty” she walked away and all Sana could do was sit on the curb and cry  

“s-Sana!” Mina yelped rushing to her side. “What happened dear?” Chaeyoung rubbed her back as Mina comforted her in a hug and Sana spewed her heart out to them. By the end of the story Mina even had tears in her eyes from how sad it was but knew she had to be strong so she lifted Sana off the floor and held her hand tightly as they made their way back to the castle