Chapter 3

Her knight in shining armour

Sana knew exactly what she was doing walking down the corridor at the same time Tzuyu did. She’d admittedly been watching the girl for quite some time and she began to adjust to waking up early to meet Tzuyu in the hallway, hoping to make some progress with the girl. 

Tzuyu had never seen Sana wearing anything but a royal gown so seeing her walking towards her in dark red pyjamas and a silk robe with fluff on all the hems was quite a surprise. Despite her dressed-down appearance, Tzuyu thought she looked much better casual but she couldn’t think about it any longer because now she was face to face with Sana and she had to bow. 

“Chou Tzuyu, what in the lords name are you doing down here at this hour?” She asked as if it was outrageous. “I go to the gym every morning at this hour, your majesty” Sana could see the sleep, or lack there of, still crowding her eyes and she looked like she didn’t want to be there, as if she was forced. 

“Walk with me” Sana knew they wouldn’t have long so she’d have to to act fast to try and get Tzuyu to open up, or at least to learn some more things about her favorite knight. The kingdom would be awake in 2 hours and she couldn’t be seen mingling with a knight or in her pajamas because she didn’t want the embarrassment of them seeing her bunny slippers. 

They finally reached the dining room and Tzuyu furrowed her eyebrows but stayed silent. “What’s your favorite flavor?” Sana asked looking over to Tzuyu when she didn’t get an answer to see the girl frozen. “Tzuyu?”

”s-sorry... strawberry, I guess” Sana walked down the stairs to the ice room, only to walk back up a few minutes later with a bucket full of something. She went to the cutlery drawer but grabbed two spoons. She hopped onto the seat next to Tzuyu and popped open the tub, taking a scoop before setting it down and handing over the other spoon. 

“I shouldn’t spoil your breakfast but I wanted some so you should have some too” Tzuyu’s heart raced. Sana had to go down stairs and to the right to find Tzuyu yet the dining room was to the left, even going into the freezing cold room just for some ice cream. It made her feel like Sana wanted to find her, like she wanted this to happen just as much as she did but she put the thought out of her mind and called it crazy. 

“Tzuyu, please talk or at least eat some” Sana pleaded, voice soft. “Thank you, your-” sana raised her hand stopping Tzuyu from talking. “Don’t call me your majesty, address me as Sana or you’re out of this kingdom” Tzuyu smiled knowing it was an empty threat. 

“Why do you like strawberry ice cream?” Sana curiously asked, taking her second scoop after Tzuyu took her first. “I like strawberry everything. In the village that I grew up in my father grew strawberries and I guess it’s just a habit” Sana’s heart warmed at the nice fact that she’d never forget. 

“Tell me more?” Tzuyu told Sana everything she wanted to know, from her village to her family and even to how she felt in the castle. Sana felt sick hearing how Tzuyu pushed herself and how she’s pushed herself to be better because she doesn’t want to ever leave the castle. 

“You’re not like a regular queen” Tzuyu commented, clearing to speak again when Sana gave her a confused look. “It’s five o’clock in the morning and you’re here eating ice cream in bunny slippers talking to a knight, and you don’t even talk like a queen”

”they’re all my favorite things” Tzuyu didn’t miss the smile she shot at her before she lowered her head to hide the blush. “It’s late I should be getting back” she took a few steps before a hand grabbed her making her turn around. 

“Tzuyu...” she forgot everything she wanted to say. She wanted to confess to Tzuyu right then and there, tell her about her feelings, about how she wants to be with her and that she’ll  never have to leave the castle once they’re married, but she couldn’t. 

“Goodnight” Tzuyu didn’t even believe herself that all Sana wanted to say was goodnight. The pause was too long and she noted it, nodding her head as a bow and squeezing her hand before letting it go and finally walking out into the hall. 

When Nayeon went into Sana’s room she didn’t see anyone. She was about to leave when Sana walked in, tears streaming down her face. Nayeon gasped as she enveloped her in a hug and brought her over to the bed to gently lay her down. 

“What happened?” Nayeon asked, brushing her hair out of her face. It took a few seconds to compose herself but sana explained everything, how she felt what she wanted to say what she didn’t, she poured her heart out to Nayeon and even when it was all said she fell against the older woman looking for comfort. 

Tzuyu felt a pang in her heart, like she was shot and wounded. Something heavy was dropped on her chest and it began to hurt, so much so that she ended up dropping the heavy metal plate on her foot. She winced in pain but just picked it up and put it away, finishing a few minutes earlier to get to her position first. 

She could feel her foot aching so she shifted her weight to the right side instead but her leg soon went dead so she had no choice but to use the injured one. Her head began to spin and the last thing she remembered was the world going sideways as she collapsed on the floor. 

Tzuyu’s eyes fluttered open to the inside of her bedroom. She looked around once her eyes adjusted to the brightness and she saw Sana standing there with the medic. They were talking about how she needed rest before Sana thanked him and showed him out. 

“Now you have to take a break, you can’t walk and the doctor says you’re on bedrest for the rest of today. It was for 3 more days but I told him how stubborn you were” she shook her head lovingly at her. “I’m fine” Tzuyu’s voice was hoarse, clearing saying the opposite to her words. 

“Have some water dear, Nayeon will bring you some soup in a few minutes” Sana tilted the glass for her and the left it on her table. Nayeon brought up the soup and Sana helped her eat that too. She stayed with her for the whole day, lying and saying that she had nothing else to do when she was bombarded with tasks. 

“Get well soon” she whispered as Tzuyu’s eyes fluttered closed. She pressed her lips to Tzuyu’s forehead but she lingered before pulling away, the kiss being much more than just a kiss. Tzuyu was still awake and felt it and she knew that she’d end up losing even more sleep thinking about it but she really didn’t mind when the queen had just kissed her.