The Next Day

Love for Auction

Baekhyun looked himself over in the mirror. 

He had agonized over his outfit, going back and forth between preppy casual and almost formal. In the end a combination of the two had won out, and so he settled on dark khaki slacks with an Oxford shirt, the sleeves slightly rolled up and the top two buttons opened to show just enough skin without being scandalous. His brown loafers were sitting to the side, waiting to be worn, and his watchband shone in a similar shade of rich brown leather. A set of small diamond studs in his ears added the slightest bit of bling to the ensemble. His hair was coiffed beautifully, with his bangs styled up off his forehead. 

"This will have to do." he said out loud to his reflection as he shifted the watchband with his other hand. A quick glance at the watch face told him he had about 7 minutes to finish freaking out until his date was supposed to arrive at 5 o'clock. He scurried to the bathroom and grabbed his trusty charcoal colored eyeliner pencil from his makeup drawer. Looking at his reflection in the bathroom mirror and after taking a deep breath to calm himself, he drew subtle lines to accentuate his soft eyes. He then ran back to the bedroom, put his wallet in his back pocket, and grabbed his shoes before heading to the living room.

Right then the doorbell rang. Baekhyun jumped in surprise, but squared his shoulders and took another deep breath. Not wasting any time and taking his shoes with him, he marched promptly up to the front door. He put the shoes down next to the entryway and then closed his eyes briefly before opening them wide and smiling lightly as he opened the door. But his deliberately positive look quickly turned to a half-frown.

Standing before him was his elderly neighbor, Mrs. Lee. She had a colorful bouquet of mini blue iris and small yellow sunflowers in her hand, and an inquisitive smile on her face. 

Baekhyun blinked in surprise. "Um... Hello, Mrs. Lee." 

"Hello Baekhyunnie dear. These are supposed to be for you. The young man that brought them is arguing with the doorman downstairs because they won't let him into the building." she said, handing the stunned man the flowers.

"Oh!" Baekhyun took the bouquet. "But I told them-" Baekhyun began murmuring his explanation as he inspected the pretty arrangement but was interrupted.

"You told the doorman last night, right?" Mrs. Lee said, smiling with understanding. "Evidently he didn't pass the word or something, because there is a somewhat frustrated, very tall and handsome young man downstairs that begged me to bring these to you and explain why he couldn't be standing at your door right now."

"Oh my..!" Baekhyun tried to hold back the flush that had crept onto his cheeks as he listened to his neighbor. "I guess I'd better-"

"You'd better get down there and claim your man before someone else snatches him!" 

By now there was a full-blown blush on his face as Baekhyun reacted to the older woman's good-natured teasing. He shoved the flowers back at her to hold and then bent down to slip on his shoes. Mrs. Lee giggled as she lifted the bouquet to her face to smell the beautiful arrangement. Baekhyun stood back up and took the flowers back. 

"Ok.. How do I look?" he asked with a smile. 

"Perfect," the older woman smiled back. "Even better than the flowers."

Baekhyun looked down briefly at the bouquet in his hand before looking back up and squaring his shoulders again. "Thank you. Well, here goes nothing..!" He grabbed his keys from the hanger inside the entryway and then closed the door behind him.

"Go get him Sweetie!"

Baekhyun partially raised the arrangement in an acknowledgement of the lady's encouragement, but didn't look back at he made his way to the elevator and pushed the down button. The carriage arrived almost immediately and he stepped in, selecting the lobby floor and then stepping back to lean against the wide handrails. The ride down was just long enough to let the nerves start to set in a little, but a sniff of the lovely little bouquet had the calming effect needed to squash down any all out panicking. It had been a few years since he had been head-over-heels about anybody, and even with the good looks and enticing charm of the man he knew to be waiting for him downstairs, Baekhyun was still uncertain of any potential romantic developments. It was best to just wait calmly and see. 

As the elevator doors opened Baekhyun stepped out and looked to the front of the building, pink hair catching his attention immediately and any chance of being calm was quickly disappearing. He had almost forgotten how tall the handsome man was, but the memories of the previous evening came rushing back as he observed the side profile of his date. His professionalism had been compromised when he had boldly "claimed" the taller man on the stage. But the pink-haired hottie hadn't left him hanging, quickly agreeing that he was "sold" and then smoothly asking the DJ out for the date. Only after Baekhyun had stammered and then nodded his agreement did the taller flash his beautiful smile and then saunter back off the stage. That same smile was being directed his way now.

Baekhyun matched the smile as he walked swiftly to the front door, a mischievous idea sparking in his mind as he reached out with the hand that wasn't holding the bouquet. The doorman caught the motion out of the corner of his eye and swiftly moved to open the front door for the smiling DJ.

"Oh THERE you are Darling!" Baekhyun boldly proclaimed, smiling broadly as he deliberately played it up in front of the stunned doorman. Baekhyun linked arms with the taller and started to pull him away from the building.

The pink-haired hottie played along with a twinkle in his eye, nodding towards the doorman. "No Sweetheart it's not your fault I couldn't come up and get you!"  The doorman spluttered a protest as the couple continued walking away. As soon as they were out of earshot the smaller burst into uncontrollable giggles and the tall pink-haired man stood watching him with an impish grin and affectionate look in his eyes. 

"That was fun!" the DJ proclaimed when he caught his breath.

The taller agreed, still grinning widely. "Serves him right! I told him I was here for you and as soon as he saw the flowers he acted all jealous and refused to call you to let you know I was here." 

Baekhyun giggled. "I think he's been harboring a crush ever since I moved in last year, but I couldn't get it thru his thick skull that he's not my type." 

"Yeah, he doesn't have pink hair." the taller giggled. 

"Or own a flower shop where he can create beautiful bouquets like this gorgeousness!"

"Oh so the flowers really DO work for you then.." the pink-haired man bent down slightly to smile directly at his date, causing the DJ to blush and duck his head down, bringing the bouquet up to his face as though he was smelling them once more.

After exchanging numbers the previous evening, once they each arrived home the two had texted back and forth for a while, getting better acquainted and discussing their plans for the next evening. It was during that conversation Baekhyun had found out he had a date with one of the most successful florists in the country.

Mr. Park Chanyeol owned his own chain of floral shops who's arrangements had been the choice of so many elite functions in the past 10 years it could make anyone's head spin to count them all. The florist had personally overseen the previous evening's table arrangements that the DJ had been swooning over. Call him old fashioned, but flowers really were the way to Baekhyun's heart. 

Well, flowers and "PIZZA TIME!"  Baekhyun's exclamation had Chanyeol doubling over with laughter.

"Ok, Ok.. Let's go." The tall man straightened up and walked over to grab the front passenger door handle of a dark blue luxury sedan that had pulled up to the curb next to them. 

"Chanyeol! What are you doing?!" the smaller panicked for a second, but then noticed the driver had gotten out of the vehicle and walked around the front of the car to hold the door open for him. "Oh, this is.. Yours? Wow, curbside service -- ni~ice!"  He watched as Chanyeol patted the driver on the shoulder and then walked around the car to the driver's side. 

The florist looked over the top of the car at the DJ who was still standing by the open car door. The taller smiled. "Shall we..?" 

Baekhyun smiled back. "Why not..."

Their shared laughter rang out again as they both climbed into the vehicle.

Baekhyun turned to see the driver had gently closed his door and then stepped back onto the sidewalk. "Does he have a ride?" he asked as he put on his seatbelt.

"His mother lives in your building so he will visit with her for a bit before taking the bus back to his home. It's not a problem."  Chanyeol sad, fastening his seatbelt and then checking traffic before easing out into the lane.

"His mother? What's her name? I might know her.." 

"Well, his last name is Lee.. So-"

The peals of Baekhyun's laughter could be heard through the closed windows of the luxury sedan as it picked up speed, heading towards their dinner destination.

 

A half hour later the two were seated in a secluded corner on the balcony of an upscale pizzeria. Chanyeol had used his connections to get the last minute reservation as soon as they had agreed upon the food during their texting the night before.

Of course the DJ had questions.

"So I was meaning to ask you.. you're a florist but when I read the cue cards last night the lineup said you were a lawyer..?"

"While I was working on getting the law degree I worked part-time at a floral shop. By the time I had tried my first case I was more interested in the corsages the mother's of victims wore than I was in the details of the cases. I practiced law for the next two years while studying botany and art design at night. When I left the practice & started my first floral shop all my lawyer friends were my first high-paying clientele and so the rest, as they say, is history!"

"Wow.. so you're not really a lawyer-"

"No, I've kept my license up. It's been handy since I don't have to hire someone to write legal business contracts and such."

"That's smart."

By this time the waitress had come to their table. Chanyeol suddenly spoke with the over-exaggerated tone he had used before with the doorman. "Darling, I know you're starving so go ahead and order for both of us..!"

The DJ noticed the twinkle in the florist's eyes and went along with the mood. "Oh you know me so well!"

The waitress flushed a little and fidgeted with her pencil as she wrote down when the DJ ordered. After she walked away Baekhyun looked at his date with a half-grin. "What was all that?"

"She had her eye on you from the moment we were seated. I was just discouraging her."

"Oh I see.. You were just discouraging her..?"

"Well, that. And I was staking my claim - I saw you first."

"Actually, I saw and claimed you first, Mr. Lawyer-not-lawyer."

"Well, yes. Yes you did."

The two couldn't help grinning broadly at each other over the table.