The Rest of the Date

Love for Auction

After a short time of casual conversation, the freshly-made pizza they had ordered arrived at their table, piping hot and smelling delicious. The waitress refilled their water glasses and made sure they had extra napkins, and then left the two gentlemen with the steaming food. 

Chanyeol chuckled as he handed the serving utensil to his date. "You're looking at that pizza like you're in love with it." He held up two plates and Baekhyun served two slices on each. The taller placed the plates down in front of each of them, still very humored about the shining eyes of the DJ. 

"I can't help it. I just love pizza!" Baekhyun grinned as he picked up one of his pieces, carefully holding it to keep the grease from dripping on the table. He brought the slice up to his mouth and gingerly bit a large chunk off the corner,  a little air into his mouth at the same time as he attempted to cool off the hot food. 

Chanyeol held one of his own pieces of pizza up, wrangling a stray string of cheese that didn't seem to want to let go from the other piece still on his plate. He leaned in and bit a large chunk off of the end of his piece and then placed it back down on his plate as he reached for a napkin.  "So,.. " he breathed in a little as he chewed quickly, finishing the food in his mouth and swallowing before continuing. "I gave you my backstory. What's yours? How did you end up being a smooth talking DJ-slash-auctioneer?"

The pink-haired man grinned widely as Baekhyun reacted to the question with a guffaw. The blonde put down the little bit that was left of his first piece of pizza and wiped his hands on a napkin. "Well as glamorous as it sounds, I wasn't always a DJ-slash-auctioneer." the DJ said as he grinned and reached for his water glass. He took a quick drink.  

"Twelve years ago I was known as the loud-mouth high school kid that everybody knew but nobody dated. Since I never went out on dates, my junior year the guidance counselor decided I should put my loud mouth to good use and made me sign up for speech class and also be the play-caller for all the school basketball games. The playoff games were always broadcast by the local radio station and by the time the team made it all the way to the championship game at the end of the season, the things I had learned in speech class were paying off. The radio station offered me a summer internship because they said that I was a natural with delivery and technique. The internship turned into an actual job my senior year and I've never looked back." The blonde finished his brief story and smiled before taking another large bite of his pizza. 

"That's great! But I find it hard to believe no one wanted to date you in high school." the taller widened his eyes incredulously. The smaller took a moment to wipe his mouth with a napkin as the florist continued, "With your good looks and appealing personality there had to've been lots of girls hanging all over you!" 

The DJ blushed but tried to hide it with his napkin. "It wasn't the girls I wanted hanging on me." he muttered quickly as he took another large bite of pizza. 

"I-  Well- Then the guys at your high school were blind or idiots. Or both!" 

Baekhyun found himself blushing again and he spluttered around his bite of pizza as he tried to brush off the obvious compliment.  But his date was insistent. "You weren't the only one caught off guard at first sight last night -- you took my breath away,  you know!" 

The DJ swallowed his food with a large gulp. "No, I didn't know..." 

"No, really! When I came thru the curtain and saw you, and then you spoke up, I knew immediately I had to make sure it was you that won me in the auction,  just so I could get to know more about you." The taller colored prettily as he admitted his feelings, but he couldn't take his eyes off the smaller who had glanced up, equally flushed at hearing the bold words.  

Their intense eye contact was broken by the sound of a throat clearing next to their table.

The blonde flinched and the florist turned towards the waitress, who was standing by the table with a fresh pitcher of water. "Refill your water, sirs?"

Baekhyun made a decision as he watched their water glasses being filled. Taking the same overly sweet tone he had used before, he deliberately addressed his date in front of the waitress. "Sweetheart since you were so kind as to bring me flowers and also take care of our transportation, I'll pay for dinner. "

Chanyeol spluttered. "Wait no! You won me in the auction so I wanted to pay for everything."  

The waitress seemed uncomfortable with the conversation and moved quickly away from the table. The DJ noted her leaving but carried on with the topic. 

"Actually I paid for half of the auction bid, so that means I get to pay for half of this date. You bought me beautiful flowers and took care of transportation, so I'm paying for dinner, case closed." Baekhyun nodded with a smirk as he served them both another slice of pizza. 

The florist chuckled. "I know it's been a long while since I've tried a case in court, but I don't remember ever been beaten with that argument before."

The DJ grinned as he wiped his fingers then picked up his new slice of pizza. "Well, there's a first time for everything!" 

Chanyeol grinned back and picked up the slice from his own plate. "There certainly is!" 

They held eye contact for a second longer but then realized they were both just sitting there grinning with pizza in their hands. They shared a laugh and then began eating more of their food. 

The conversation flowed easily between the two men as the evening progressed. Before they knew it they had been sitting at the restaurant for over 3 hours. The sun had gone down and by the sounds drifting up to the balcony it was evident the city nightlife was in full swing. The DJ realized they were the last customers at the restaurant, so he signaled to the waitress for the check. 

The waitress came over to the table and Baekhyun pulled out his wallet to pay, handing the waitress cash as he gave his date a deliberately adoring look, complete with batting his eyelashes. But as soon as the waitress moved away from the table both men dissolved into giggles. 

Chanyeol held his side with one arm as he laughed and whacked the table with his other hand. "THAT was good! You are good at this 'overly exaggerated being smitten with me' stuff!" 

"It's not that exaggerated! The waitress looked like she would be twice as bad if she was given the chance!" Baekhyun laughed equally hard but his words made the taller slow down his laughter a bit.

"So...Are you telling me what you've been doing could be real?" 

"I-..um. .huh?" The DJ flushed as he stopped laughing. He scooted his chair back from the table to stand up. "Um.. It's getting late, so we should probably leave before they kick us out."

The florist chuckled but decided to humor his obviously embarrassed date and kept mum as he stood up.

By the time they made it to the restaurant entrance Chanyeol had used his long legs to his advantage, beating the smaller to the door and holding it open for him. Baekhyun decided to tease the taller. "I love how you are always SUCH a gentleman!" he said, his voice sugary sweet. 

Chanyeol coughed and blushed a little as they walked out of the restaurant.

The DJ turned back towards the florist with a smirk. "Don't worry, that was just for the benefit of the wait-staff lurking by the door." He turned back around and walked towards where the car was parked.

The florist bit back a grin and deliberately didn't mention there was no wait staff at the door as they were exiting. Getting into that discussion might make him miss out on the glorious view of the DJ's rear as he sashayed over to the car passenger door.

Definitely worth it.

Chanyeol made a mental note that if that's what pizza did for Baekhyun's body, he would happily buy it for him whenever the pizza-lover wanted from now on.

"You know... I'm starting to think agreeing to that auction was the best decision I've ever made."