Auction Day

Love for Auction

Baekhyun straightened his leather jacket and re-adjusted the microphone headpiece. The crowd just beyond the curtain was buzzing with excitement and he knew the minute he stepped out to the podium everything he said would be scrutinized.

Baekhyun scoffed. He was just as good looking as the men that were milling about in the wings just off stage. But he hadn't been asked to be one of the bachelors for auction. Just the MC.

Being an experienced radio announcer meant he had a voice smooth as silk and great timing in his delivery as he read cue cards. But he didn't have an extremely high salary so he wasn't considered one of the desired bachelor's of the city. Eligible bachelor yes. Rich no. 

He squared his shoulders. It didn't matter. He still looked damn good.

He had chosen his whole appearance carefully for the event. The black and white block-style leather jacket had cost him two months salary but it was worth it for the visual impact and how it showed off his broad shoulders while still accenting his slender waist. His favorite slim-cut black dress pants that hugged his perfectly, and a trendy t-shirt completed the stylish outfit.

However, his hair and makeup really set off his whole look. Baekhyun had arranged his signature platinum blonde hair in a slightly messy shag, and minimal yet distinct eye makeup accented his natural good looks perfectly. The looks he got earlier from the people he passed as he came in the side door of the venue were enough to convince the DJ he had made the right choices. 

And yet, a half-hour later he was clutching the cue cards a little too tightly and cursing at himself for ever agreeing to MC for the damn event.

OK so the proceeds would go to charity, yes. The Children's Hospital was the main beneficiary of the money that would be raised, and there were a few other associations that would be receiving money from the event as well. 

But the whole atmosphere smacked of a deranged, somewhat cattle auction. As soon as Baekhyun walked out onto the stage the murmurs in the audience swelled and there were a few whoops. By the time he got to the podium on the side, the audience was louder with a smattering of applause and even a couple of catcalls and a wolf whistle. Refusing to show any humiliation from the attention, Baekhyun clutched his cuecards harder and pasted on a half-convincing flirty smile. He cleared his throat and adjusted his microphone, then began the evening, using his best DJ-host voice, the smooth undertones temporarily calming the rowdy crowd.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen..! I am Byun Baekhyun of 148.5FM EXORadio and I am privileged to be your host for this evening."  The stylish blonde internally patted himself on the back for not rolling his eyes as several ladies in the audience swooned at his smooth tone. If they only knew he didn't play for that side of the field.

The general public didn't feel it wasn't a bad thing to be gay, but Baekhyun hadn't had a lot of success in love over the past few years, so when he had chosen to not display any romantic preferences, his listening audience could only make assumptions about his uality. His deliberate ambiguity made his smooth tones take on multiple meanings which kept his listeners loyally tuning into his radio show for two hours every Monday thru Thursday night. So with this event being on a Friday and the promised pay of $5,000 he had agreed. 

"We all know why we're here." The audience gave a murmur of agreement as Baekhyun swept the room with a stern reprimanding look. "For CHARITY and to benefit the Children's Hospital.."  A few of the more excited audience members actually gave sheepish grins and the blonde MC gave a quick huff of exasperation before schooling his face back into a casual smile. "Let's get started, shall we?"

The curtains were pulled apart enough to give the effect of the beginning area of a catwalk and the first well-dressed bachelor began to strut onto the stage. Baekhyun kept himself from getting caught rolling his eyes as he looked down to his cuecards and began to read. "Our first bachelor up for auction is a gentleman well-known to most of us. Children's Hospital's own head of the Cardiology Department, Kim Junmyeon!" The audience clapped enthusiastically. "Dr. Kim says he is looking forward to a nice evening with the winning bidder while enjoying a good dinner and nice conversation. And don't worry if he makes your heart flutter, since you'll be with a cardiologist..." Baekhyun paused for the laughter from the audience before continuing. "Please note that all bids are opened at $1,000..Do I hear $2,000? Yes ma'am I see your hand waving -- does that mean $5,000? It does? OK folks we have a bid of $5,000, do I hear $6,000? Yes, sir with the purple tie, thank you! Do I hear $7,000?.." 

The bids continued going up, until ultimately the cardiologist was won with a bid of $18,000. "SOLD! To the lovely Mrs. Choi, who we also know as our beloved mayor's wife. Thank you so much madam!" The audience gave a nice round of applause as the woman stood up smiling and waving at everyone around her while the cardiologist smiled back and bowed before making his way off the stage.  

Baekhyun smiled his first genuine smile of the evening. That wasn't so bad. Maybe the next bachelor sale would go just as smoothly. He looked up from his cuecards and immediately changed his mind as his eyes landed on tanned skin and a sharp jawline. He sighed again as he started reading aloud the next card in his hand.

"The next bachelor up for auction is no stranger to any of us. You can recognize Kim Jongin from his picture on the latest cover of W magazine as well as countless billboards across the city." Baekhyun waited for the sounds to die down of the women and men swooning over the model giving his signature smirk. "He has graciously agreed to participate in this event and the charity beneficiaries are extremely grateful. Shall we start the bidding a little higher..say $5,000?" Several hands immediately shot up and the bidding was soon underway with bids going higher and higher. Finally the tanned model was sold for $35,000 to an anonymous bidder on the phone. This created a few disgruntled individuals in the audience, but they easily turned their attention back to the stage and waited as Baekhyun smoothly transitioned to introducing the next bachelor up for auction.

A chef, a judge, a dentist, and the oldest son of the Chief of Police all were auctioned off in short order with high bids and smiles all around. By this time the audience had settled into an easy camaraderie, laughing with delight as each participant was given their chance to parade the makeshift catwalk and gather as much money from the bidders as possible for the sake of the charities. 

Baekhyun handled the situation with ease, relying on the cuecards but also ad-libbing where needed to bring more light-hearted humor to the event. He enjoyed watching the bachelors as well, secretly admiring and comparing them in his mind as he continued his MC duties. There were a couple that he would have to admit even turned his head, setting his thoughts alight. 

At this point there was just a lawyer and then a police detective left to be auctioned off.  Baekhyun looked down at his cards and then back up again as long legs came into his peripheral vision. As his eyes followed the tall body upward, the DJ/MC began his usual intro. "OK the next bachelor up for auction is- hotDAMN- " He Interrupted himself, losing his composure as he took in the view of the next participant. "Um..."  A muscular torso wrapped in a sharp tuxedo along with a bright smile met his eyes. Baekhyun spoke without thinking. "SORRY FOLKS. There's been a mistake & this gentleman isn't available.." The pink hair on the head of the bachelor bounced as the handsome face turned quickly towards the blonde MC. Their eyes met and Baekhyun's brain-to-mouth filter failed epically. "He's mine!"

The murmurs in the audience grew to a small roar as the two men looked at each other. The taller walked over to the podium and put his hand over Baekhyun's mic, startling the MC momentarily. The pink-haired man leaned closer and grinned. "How much are you paying for me?" Baekhyun blinked. "They're paying me $5,000 for tonight." The taller grinned wider. "I'll match that." He kept his hand over the mic as he turned away from the stunned blonde and raised his other hand to quiet the audience. "I've been sold for $10,000 folks!"

The tall man's pink hairs bounced again as he turned back to the DJ and grabbed the smaller's hand while still covering the DJ's mic with his other hand. "I'll pick you up tomorrow at 5pm, how does that sound?" 

Baekhyun blinked. "Um..."