All

Boyfriend?

 


 

Wonwoo stared at you for a moment, his car keys dangling on his fingers. He was very reluctant to give it to you but you stared back at him with a steeled resolve and a rather intimidating eyebrow raised. You even closed and opened your palm, urging him to give it to you already. With a sigh, he finally did.

 

He really wasn’t planning on making you drive today. Most especially that it’ll take a couple of hours to get to his parents’ house but the moment you found out that he was sick, you firmly insisted that you’d drive. Apart from how the man can actually never say no to you, you wouldn’t take no for an answer either anyway.

 

“I told you! I told you, didn’t I?” You muttered as you rounded his car to get to the driver’s seat. You unlocked the doors and quickly slipped inside, him following right after you with a small pout on his lips already. Oh, boy… He’s going to get an earful from you now.

 

“I kept reminding you to drink your vitamins but you didn’t listen to me. Now look! It’s your parents’ wedding anniversary and you have a fever!” you nagged some more as the both of you settled into his car, clicking the seatbelts into place. You checked all the mirrors and adjusted the car seat, all the while continuing to nag about him not taking care of himself better.

 

Wonwoo just kept quiet. He pulled his jacket tighter around him, lowering his head in shame as he whispered his apology. He was sniffling like crazy, several hot packs stuffed in his jacket and pockets to keep him warm. His nose was red and he was admittedly looking very pale. The boy could barely keep his eyes opened too so there really was no way in hell you would let him drive.

 

As you backed the car up out of the driveway, you finally finished nagging and asked him if he took his medicine already. You even made him tell you what he took just to make sure and asked as well if he drank lots of water to which he grumbled out a tiny yes. “That’s good.” You sighed.

 

You tipped your chin over to the water bottle just below the stereo and said, “I brought some water for you. Drink as much as you can, okay? So you can recover faster,” you told him, your voice sounding a lot gentler than earlier. He only hummed in response. He really wasn’t feeling well.

 

You softened as you glanced at him, playing with the hot pack in his hands. You told him to rest up and just go to sleep but he shook his head. “No!” he whined adorably. “I miss you so much. I’m not going to sleep on you, bub.” You opened your mouth to scold him but you ended up closing it.

 

You two haven’t really talked to each other properly for an entire week because of this event in your university. You were one of the organizers for it so you have been extra busy these past few days. Wonwoo completely understood but he never failed to remind you that he missed you way too much already.

 

You were both looking forward to today because you were finally going to spend time with each other but then Wonwoo had gotten sick somehow. He felt kind of bad about it. He obviously didn’t intend to get a fever but maybe it is kind of true that he hasn’t been taking good care of himself since you’ve been busy. Not to mention how uni life is never as easy and chill to begin with.

 

He was feeling beyond tired today but he really pushed himself to go out. He just couldn’t pass this day up. He just had to spend it with you and of course with his parents as well. After a long pause, you let out a small sigh. “Alright… but if you feel sleepy in the middle of the drive, don’t force yourself to stay awake, okay?”

 

With a lazy smile, Wonwoo turned to you and nodded his head in response. You were at a stoplight so you were able to turn to him as well, pouting the moment you saw just how sick he was. “My poor, bubby,” you cooed, reaching over to cup his face and caress his cheeks with your thumbs.

 

You were about to lean over to kiss his forehead but he instantly stopped you. “No! I might get you sick,” he murmured with his hand over your mouth. Your lips stretched into an amused grin as you let him go and continued to drive. “I don’t think kissing you on the forehead would make me sick but okay.” You chuckled.

 

 

In the middle of driving, you belatedly realized that you weren’t playing any music so you asked Wonwoo to connect your phone to the stereo. He silently did as he was told and set your phone in the compartment between your seats. The two of you were silent then, both just listening to the songs that were playing. Wonwoo was looking out the window while you bopped your head to the rhythm.

 

Four or so songs later, Wonwoo turned to you and suddenly said, “You really like pH-1, huh?” You grinned in the middle of your lip-syncing, nodding. “His songs are just my kind of vibe, you know?” He sniffled and this time turned his entire body to you, curling into a ball. Though you’re only looking at him through your peripheral vision, you couldn’t help but chuckle at how adorable he looks like right now.

 

After all these years, it still kind of amazed you how this tall man was able to make himself that tiny and pocket-sized. “Why do you like rappers so much?” he curiously asked before reaching for the water bottle. “Even in that group you’re crazy about, the one that’s split into units, your favorite member’s a rapper, right?”

 

You raised an amused eyebrow at him. You don’t remember telling him who your favorite member was but he must’ve observed you very well to figure that out. You laughed and replied with, “Yeah, he’s one of the rappers in the group. Speaking of! Can you play Chilli? I suddenly miss listening to it.”

 

He rolled his eyes, groaning at your request. “Oh god, not that again. You played that song for 2 whole months non-stop when it first came out!” He was complaining but he still changed the song for you anyway and even turned the volume up a little more. When the first few beats dropped, you immediately started to dance in your seat.

 

You were already singing along before actually replying to him with, “That’s how much I love him and his group, I guess.” You shrugged, briefly turning to Wonwoo and grinning innocently while he shot you daggers with his eyes. “Pft! I can rap better than he can.”

 

You snorted. “You? Are you sure about that?” You smirked at him tauntingly, making Wonwoo narrow his eyes at you. Taking your words as a challenge, he cleared his throat and sat up properly right when the chorus was about to end. Your bias’ part was coming up next and it seemed as though Wonwoo was going to rap to it. “No! You’re gonna ruin the—”

 

You found yourself pausing when he indeed started rapping. Your eyebrows rose in surprise and your jaw dropped a tiny bit. He was… actually pretty good? Impressed and amused, you let a proud little grin spread on your lips. “Hmm… Not bad, Jeon Wonwoo,” you said with a nod of your head.

 

The two of you then ended up singing and rapping the rest of the song together, dancing along when you were at a stoplight again. Laughing at your silliness, you wondered out loud how he knew all the lyrics when he hated the song.

 

Wonwoo laughed as well but ended up coughing so he had to drink water again. “I didn’t say I hated it,” he clarified. “You just played it too much it was getting annoying.” You just nodded, a teasing grin plastered on your face, making him roll his eyes at you but in a joking manner.

 

A new song started to play from the same group and again, you both jammed out to it. You were pretty much like that for a few more songs but all the rapping and random dancing must’ve tired Wonwoo out. He fell asleep in the middle of one of the songs and you didn’t even notice until you glanced at him yourself.

 

You immediately lowered down the volume, chuckling as quietly as you could. His mouth was opened again, something he does when he’s extremely tired. Instead of finding it funny though, you thought absolutely adorable and you were almost cooing at him every time you took a glance. You attempted to close his mouth but it he ends up always opening it back up so you just let him be.

 

Wonwoo didn’t stir at all for the rest of the drive to his parents’ house. Apart from your extensive rapping and dancing, the medicine he took before you left must’ve taken effect already. The drive was pretty much quiet, safe for the soft music playing in the background and his little snores.

 

Every time you stopped at a red light, you adjusted his head so his neck wouldn’t strain and checked his temperature using the back of your hand. Fortunately, Wonwoo’s temperature seemed to have gone down and the color on his face was coming back.

 

You were admittedly getting sleepy too, having no one to talk to during such a long drive but you were thankfully able to hold out until you arrived. The moment you turned the engine off, you immediately saw his mother walk out the front door, his father trailing behind her. You smiled and waved excitedly at the both of them.

 

You can hear his mother calling out for the two of you already, her voice loud and clear even if you were still inside the car. “Wonwoo,” you gently said, shaking him awake. “Wonwoo-yah, we’re here. Your mom and dad’s waiting for you.” Wonwoo hummed in response, eyes still shut and brows in furrow.

 

 You smiled at him fondly and briefly smoothed the furrow of his eyebrows. “C’mon, bub. Wake up.” Your voice must’ve been a little too gentle and maybe it didn’t help that you were caressing his cheek with the back of your fingers because instead of opening his eyes and waking up, he seemed to just get even more comfortable. He even leaned against your touch.

 

“Yah! Seriously, get up!” you said, laughing a little before letting go and finally getting out of the car. “Auntie, Uncle! We’ll meet you both inside,” you hollered, opening the door of backseat to take out the balloons and cake that you bought for them.

 

It was only when you shut the door did Wonwoo really wake up. He peered out the window to look for you, finding himself break into a warm smile when he saw how eager his mother was to greet you, as if you were one of her own.

 

He kept his eyes on you the entire time as he got out of the car, at how tightly you were hugging Mrs. Jeon and the way the old lady smiled so affectionately at you. You kissed her cheek then turned to his father to greet him as well. He took the balloons from you, as well as the cake and ushered you inside their home.

 

It seemed as though the couple forgot about their own son though, a little too excited at your presence. Mrs. Jeon was about to shut the door already even if Wonwoo was still outside. If he hadn’t called out to her, she would’ve really shut it at his face. She turned to him immediately and opened the door back up.

 

“Oh! My son, I’m so sorry. Come here, come here!” She giggled, opening her arms wide for a hug. Wonwoo pouted at her but still hugged her back. “Your favoritism is showing again, mom. You literally forgot about your own son!”

 

Mrs. Jeon laughed as she pulled away and jokingly hit his arm. “Oh, c’mon now. Don’t say that!” Wonwoo shook his head in an endearing manner and kissed the top of her head. He then went inside to greet his father as well. As he gave him a hug, the older male clucked his tongue at his wife.

 

“I’m sorry about your mother, Wonwoo-yah. She’s always been like that, tsk.” He shook his head, feigning disappointment.  Mrs. Jeon shot her husband a quick glare before disappearing into kitchen to help you out. Wonwoo just laughed. “Dad, what are you saying? You’re exactly the same! You didn’t even wait for me by the door.”

 

Mr. Jeon put a hand on his chest as if he was offended by the accusation. “That’s not true! I was just setting the cake and balloons aside. I was going to go back and wait for you before you came inside,” he reasoned out with cheeky grin on his face, Wonwoo rolling his eyes at him good-naturedly and shaking his head.

 

“Yah! Instead of just standing around talking, can you both just set the table up? We’ll be bringing in the food once the soup’s done!” They heard Mrs. Jeon yell from inside the kitchen. They snickered, saluting and saying, “Yes, ma’am!”

 

 

Dinner with the Jeon family was very pleasant. It was a simple dinner filled with good food, wholesome conversations and genuine, hearty laughter. Wonwoo was eating happily, just sitting there quietly and watching you interact with his parents in such a comfortable way.

 

Although you ratted him out and told them that he’s actually sick today, Wonwoo didn’t really mind and just listened to you complain to them. His parents, of course, scolded him a little but he was in too much of a good mood to care about it. The topic didn’t last long anyway.

 

All he did was laugh, admitting his mistake and promising that he’ll listen to you next time. You all just chuckled. You flashed him a grateful smile and he swore his heart skipped a couple of beats because of it. You were glowing tonight, the moon and all the stars in the sky should be jealous.

 

He sighed in content as he continued to just listen to your conversation. The fond and sweet voice his mom used to speak to you and how both his parents smiled at you endearingly whenever you replied to them made his heart swell. He felt warmth spread from inside his chest into every fiber of his being. He stared at you, only you and felt his heart do summersaults.

 

Suddenly, everything around you became a blur and all he saw was you, your bright smile, your twinkling eyes and rosy cheeks. It felt as though the world moved in slow motion and the only sound he could hear was your laughter singing in chorus with the beating of his heart.

 

It was weird. He’s never felt like this before and he most definitely didn’t believe that all of this could happen in real life. Everything he felt, it was something that he could only see happening in those cheesy romcoms you like to watch but there he was, experiencing all of that and all because of you.

 

And then… It was in that moment that Wonwoo realized something. He looked at you and he felt as though he saw… love. Love personified in the form of his best friend. A love that he knew was raw and overpowering. He’s paused like video, a half smile gracing his lips and making him look slightly retarded.

 

Amongst your laughter, you noticed him staring and decided to meet his gaze. Not expecting it, he blinked in surprise and quickly looked down at his food as if he’d been caught doing something wrong. You chuckled in amusement at how flustered he became and raised a suspicious eyebrow at him.

 

As he was munching on his food, he would all but steal glances at you. He didn’t dare to fully look up knowing that you’re pretty much still looking at him. How could you not anyway? He was gradually becoming pink and you were wondering what the hell he was getting embarrassed for.

 

He felt his ears heat up the more that you stared so he discreetly (or so he thought at least) hid behind his bowl of rice while shoveling food into his mouth. His parents eventually took notice of how weird he was acting too. His father laughed and even pointed out how red ears were.

 

Wonwoo choked a tiny bit. “Dad! Why would you…” he trailed, cheeks both puffed up as he watched you and his mom giggle at him. “What’s wrong with you, Wonwoo? Why are you so flustered?” He just blushed even more (if that was even possible) and chugged down some water. His mother patted his hand on the table gently. “Yeah, what’s wrong, dear? It’s okay to look at your girlfriend like that.”

 

Wonwoo choked once again and so did you. You both glanced at each other before drinking your water, the couple smiling at you warmly, finding both your reactions adorable. You awkwardly chuckled as you set your cup back down. “Auntie, I-I’m not his girlfriend.”

 

“What?! I thought you would’ve been together by now. You’ve been best friends for years! My god, Jeon Wonwoo. You’re just like your father. You’re so slow with these things!” She sighed exasperatedly and even shook her head as if she was disappointed. “Yah! I was eating peacefully over here. Why did you drag me into it?”

 

His mother was about to retort but Wonwoo quickly cut in. “Mom… What the hell are you saying? You’re making her uncomfortable now…” he said in a small voice, glancing at you and giving you an apologetic look. You simply shook your head at Wonwoo and gave him a reassuring smile.

 

Fortunately, the rest of dinner didn’t end up being awkward. You have successfully diverted the couples’ attention with your story telling, Mrs. Jeon being all ears for you almost immediately and smiling incredibly wide while Mr. Jeon kept nodding his head to show you that he was listening despite continuing to eat.

 

At that, you saw Wonwoo sigh in relief. He gave you a grateful smile and continued to eat comfortably as well. Your dinner ended with cake for dessert and after greeting his parents’ a happy wedding anniversary, you two were off.

 

Of course, you two left with a promise that you would visit again. Mrs. Jeon secretly made you promise too that you would come back as her son’s girlfriend. You laughed at the request. “I’ll try auntie,” you said before finally bidding farewell.

 

When you were both walking towards his car, Wonwoo sheepishly scratched the back of his head. “I’m sorry about earlier. I don’t know why my mom was acting like that.” You grinned a tiny bit and looked down at your feet, feeling shy all of a sudden. “She just wants you to have a stable girlfriend.”

 

He flinched. “Oh god… Did she tell you that?” You nodded at him, chuckling inwardly as you two separated ways to get into the car. “She said she wants you to end up with someone she’s sure she can trust and love like her own.” Your cheeks warmed up at your own words, a smile threatening to tug at your lips.

 

Once you two had your seatbelts on, you continued and said “She said she wants it to be me.” Wonwoo automatically flushed and sank into his seat. “I’m sorry…” he mumbled. You tilted your head back in laughter as you started drive out of the curb. It’s so funny yet so adorable that Wonwoo was acting like this, so shy and flustered.  

 

“You really are sick, Jeon Wonwoo. This isn’t like you.” You wore an amused smile on your lips as you checked on both sides before driving into the main road while Wonwoo just let out a wistful sigh, mindlessly murmuring, “Love sick… yeah.”

 

“Sorry? I didn’t catch that.” The boy’s eyes widened when he realized just what came out of his mouth. He let out an awkward chuckle and mumbled out an equally awkward sounding, “N-Nothing!” And much to Wonwoo’s luck, you were quick to brush it off and asked him if he could play some music for you again.

 

“Are you free next, next week Saturday, bub?” He hummed in thought. After scrolling through your playlist and find a song that you both liked, he set your phone down and replied, “I’m not sure yet…” He then turned to you, sporting a tiny smirk. “Why? Are you taking me out on a date?”

 

“Pft! You wish. Mom’s just celebrating her birthday early since Dad has to board ship soon and she told me to invite you guys. I already told auntie about it when we were in the kitchen but she said they couldn’t come.” You unconsciously jutted your bottom lip out into a pout as you explained and in that exact same moment, Wonwoo found himself fixing his eyes on your lips.   

 

“Alright then, I’ll be there no matter what to represent the Jeon Family.” Your cute little pout automatically morphed into a big smile. “Thanks, Won,” you told him, taking your eyes off the road for a second to look at him. “Mom would love that. She says she really misses you, even Dad – no, scratch that— especially Dad!” Wonwoo shook his head, feeling quite flattered.

 

Not that he was boosting his own ego or anything but your parents really does adore him just as much as his parents adore you. That was always something he took pride in. They trusted him so much they let him sleep in the same room with their teenage daughter for goodness’ sake and your father was someone he respected very much. He’s beyond glad that your father liked him a lot.

 

“Should we just exchange parents or something? They both favor the other more,” you joked and he laughed. He wanted to joke back and say  that you two  should just get married if that were the case but he didn’t want to scare you off or make you uncomfortable so instead, he just kept quiet.

 

He was smiling at the thought though. It didn’t seem like a bad idea at all. But you should both take things slowly, just one step at a time for now. After all, you’re not even his girlfriend yet. “You can take a nap again, if you want. You’re still a little sick. You need all the rest you can get,” you suddenly said, snapping him out of his thoughts.

 

He stared at you, the details of your face that he was growing to love more and more each day and simply watched you drive. He stayed like that for a while but you didn’t notice because you were too focused on the road and the music playing.

 

If he was being honest, he could and would have stared at you all night but as time passed, his eyelids gradually got heavier. He called your name softly and you hummed, briefly turning to him. Wonwoo’s face warmed up in an instant.

 

“C-Can I hold your hand?” he asked in a very small and shy voice. You blinked at first, not expecting him to ask permission for that but a soft smile found their way to your lips. Why was so endearing tonight? Why is melting your heart like this?

 

You chuckled quietly and decided to a little. “No, Wonwoo. I’m driving here!” You even pretended to be annoyed, brows a furrow. “But— But my car’s an automatic…” You didn’t even have turn to him to know he was giving you a pleading look. You could tell that he was pouting at you too.

 

You thought you could’ve held up your act for a few seconds more but you were way too soft for him. Sighing in defeat, you offered him your hand and bit back a smile. His eyes immediately lit up. He eagerly slipped his hand into your own and laced his fingers through yours, wiggling around on the car seat to get into a comfortable position.

 

He took a deep breath and exhaled softly, feeling calm and at ease with just the mere thought of holding you hand, feeling even just little bit of your warmth. He caressed the back of your hand, slowly falling asleep.

 

 

Wonwoo was really about to get better but his stubborn still went to school despite being sick. You told him off about it but then he’ll say, “My fever really isn’t that bad anymore. I’ll be fine.” And, being done with him, you let him have his way.

 

He, again, did not listen to you so his fever went on for much longer than it should have. If you could, you would’ve given him an earful or even picked a fight with him for it but you had no energy for that, nor did you think he needed it considering the condition he was in.

 

So, without much of a choice, you just took care of him the best that you could so he could finally recover. He’s finally recovered now, thank goodness but in those days that he went to class in his poor condition, he was so out of it that it seemed like missed everything anyway and needed to catch up.

 

So while you lazed around on his bed and scrolled through your phone, he was at his desk drowning in several days’ worth of lectures. It was glorious Friday evening but the guy is studying intensely. You felt bad for him, of course but you can’t help think that he did this upon himself too. ‘That’s what you get for not listening to me,’ you thought, shaking you head at him before going back to your phone.

 

After a long while, he took his glasses off and groaned to himself. He set it down a little harshly on his desk, massaging his lids and temples. His eyes hurt and his head was starting to ache from staring at the screen for too long, for reading without taking a break.

 

It was only then did Wonwoo finally decided to rest for a while. Still groaning, he got up from his desk and walked to his bed. He crawled on the mattress and plopped on top of you. Immediately, you put your phone aside and wrapped your arms around him. He buried his face in your chest with his eyes already closed, a contented noise slipping from his lips.

 

He didn’t saying anything but you just knew and felt how tired he was. You combed your fingers through his soft hair, dropping a kiss on his head every now and then to hopefully soothe him. He relaxed against you, his breathing becoming steady. “Are you sleepy?” you whispered against his hair.

 

“A little… but I’m just taking a short break. I still have to continue…” You hummed and continued to play with his hair. It felt so nice that Wonwoo couldn’t keep his eyes opened for any long and was really about to fall asleep. But then you spoke. “I know you’re a little busy but would you mind if we go somewhere?” He immediately opened his eyes, jolting a little and pushing himself off of you enough to see your face.

 

“Hmm? Why? Where?” He’s a little disoriented, his brows knitting in the middle and an adorable little pout on his lips. “It’s a secret!” You giggled, combing his hair again. He tilted his head at you, confused. “What? C’mon you’ll have a lot of fun if you agree,” you tried to persuade him, a questionable glint in your eyes.

 

He raised his eyebrow at you suspiciously but all you did was give him a seemingly innocent grin. He narrowed his eyes at you, silently threatening you to tell him where you were going but you stood your ground and pressed your lips together, shaking your head no.

 

He just sighed. He looked over at his desk, his laptop that showed a slide from the powerpoint presentation he was reading to all the other opened books scattered on top of it before turning to you and asking how long you would be out for. Just so he’s sure he can still continue studying later on. “Well… that depends on you,” you said, shrugging and smiling suspiciously.

 

He narrowed his eyes at you again, making you chuckle. “C’mon!” you urged, getting up and dragging him up with you. You’re definitely excited for your little surprise and although Wonwoo was still confused and suspicious of you, he just followed you.

 

You volunteered to drive again so that he can take a nap at least and he just nodded without any protests. He flashed you a loving smile, murmuring his thanks before closing his eyes. The place you were taking him wasn’t that far though. After forty or so minutes, you were already there. Wonwoo had woken up just in time for you to finish parking the car and turning off the engine.

 

He looked out the window, rubbing one eye and yawning. He wondered out loud why there were so many people outside, asking you what this place was but you didn’t answer him. Instead, you eagerly got out of the car. He followed suit, immediately taking your hand and looking around. “Is there a festival or something?” You responded by excitedly nodding your head and pulling at his hand.

 

“Let’s go!” you told him as you walked towards the entrance. “There’s an Art Festival today! Not far from the entrance is this Vincent Van Gogh Art Exhibit,” you beamed and his face automatically lit up “They’re all just replicas though… Oh! And there’s a book bazaar somewhere in there too!” By this time you were both grinning widely at each other.

 

He quickened his pace, geeking out on you before you guys even saw anything yet. Your first stop was the Art Exhibit, of course. The moment he walked in, his eyes sparkled with wonder. He was obviously very elated to be there. He was constantly saying ‘woah’ at whatever he saw and would occasionally ask the artists some questions.

 

He listened with enthusiasm and grinned smugly whenever he obtained information that was new to him. He also took some pictures of the art pieces and (although very sneakily) he took photos of you too. He would linger on one art piece for a while to scrutinize the work or sometimes fill you in on some trivia about it and then you would just find yourself looking at him in awe.

 

Apart from his appreciation for art, his knowledge about it was attractive as hell and he knew more than you ever thought. It’s very impressive. How could a guy like him exist? How could you be so lucky for him to love you out of all the many other prettier and better girls out there?

 

“This is amazing!” he exclaimed, tugging at your hand, pointing at the painting like a little kid. You’re brought out of your reverie then, shaking your head at him fondly. “This replica could pass off as the real thing, to be honest. The brush are very similar to Vincent’s!”

 

He turned to you when you were about to respond but you weren’t able to say anything anymore. Something else caught his eye and so he excitedly when, “Oh, oh! They’re having a film showing over there!” Then you just found yourself being dragged away to another place.

 

He was walking rather fast, not to mention that he has longer legs than you do so you had to jog a little to actually catch up to him. “Loving Vincent! I absolutely love this movie!” You chuckled in pure fond and amusement. “Yup, I can tell,” you said, nodding.

 

You honestly felt very proud of yourself for tonight. You can see how much he was enjoying it here. Seeing him so giddy, wandering around like a little kid in a candy shop and looking around with so much interest just made your heart swell with so much love for him. You too were really enjoying. You’re not as big of a nerd about this as he is but it’s safe to say that you liked these kinds of things too.

 

As much as you both wanted to finish the film though, you also really wanted to check out the book bazaar so you both left in the middle of the movie. When you got there, the first thing Wonwoo did was talk to the clerk. From the old man, you both found out that the books were mostly, if not all of them, donations and the profits of their sales would go into sending orphaned children to school.

 

“Wow… that’s really heartwarming, sir. I’d definitely buy something to help out,” you promised. The old man chuckled at you, giving you a warm look and nodded his head. “Only if you’re sure.” With that, the two of you went on ahead and explored the bazaar.

 

There was a small beverage stall just beside it, some tables and chairs at the front where people were already enjoying reading books and having drinks. You both decided to do the same. Wonwoo ordered for the both of you while looked for an empty table, carrying a book that you deemed interesting in your arm. 

 

Once you finally found a table, you sat down with an excited grin on your face and opened up the book right away. After a short while, Wonwoo joined you. He set both your smoothies down and sat across from you, smiling in response to your tiny thanks.

 

You were already too immersed in your book to look up from it but Wonwoo didn’t really mind. If anything, he found it cute and very much attractive. If he would tell you were smart, you would most definitely deny it and claim he was lying or ‘just saying’ it because you’re his best friend but it’s true and anyone who knew you personally could vouch for him.

 

That’s one of the many reasons why he loves you. You’re naturally smart. You’re not a bookworm like he is but once you like a book, you’d get lost in it and that just makes his heart to weird things inside his chest. So, as you flipped to the next page and continued to read, Wowoo just watched, admiring you. The funny thing is, when you’re reading something, your face says a lot.  

 

Your brows would furrow deeply, sometimes in worry or confusion. Your bottom lip would jut out into a tiny pout or be caught between your teeth. You’d nibble on it sometimes or bite back a growing smile. You’d purse your lips even or press into a thin line. Other times, you’d even start to bite your thumb.

 

And your eyes? They’d sparkle with interest, turn glassy when you read something sad or get fiery when what it was getting intense. You’d huff or sigh, sometimes bringing the book down to collect yourself. He could just see all the emotions the book was meant to bring out and you’re not even aware of it. It’s so amusing to him. He could watch you read the entire night. 

 

As you reached for your smoothie, eyes still trained on the book, you felt his stare on you and decided to look at him. He flashed you a loving smile right away, making you grin right back. He sipped on his drink and so did you, your eyes falling to the untouched books in front of him.

 

“Aren’t you gonna read?” you mumbled as you eyed the books. Wonwoo finally tore his gaze away from you and looked down at them as well. “Uhh… yeah. Yeah, I will.” His smile seemed half-hearted for some reason. You wanted to ask if anything was wrong but decided to just let it go for now, simply going back to reading.

 

A few beats of silence between you has passed. You were already half way through your book but he still hasn’t touched the books he brought over. Your eyes slid up to look at his face and found this ridiculously adorable pout on his lips as he distractedly stirred his smoothie with his straw. You tried your best not to giggle.

 

“What are you pouting for? Don’t you like my surprise?” you asked, chuckling inwardly. He seemed taken aback by your voice. He immediately looked up from his drink with his eyes wide, shaking his head.  “N-No! I do. I absolutely love it but...” He slowly dropped his eyes again and stared at his glass. “I’m supposed to be the one courting you. I should be doing all the surprising and stuff…”

 

You laughed and rolled your eyes at him in affection. “Sheesh! It’s only one time, Won. I knew you’d love it here so I just had to take you. Besides, you’ve been stressing a lot lately too. Think of this as a little breather for you.” He let out a small sigh, slowly looking up at your glowing, smiling face.

 

And just like that, he felt himself melt. Your words replayed in inside his head and a smile that resembled yours stretched on his face. This was actually very sweet and thoughtful of you to do. It made him feel lucky to have someone know him this well. It made him feel all warm and mushy inside. It made loved.

 

“Also,” you added after sipping your smoothie. “I’m buying those for you!” He snapped out of his little daydream, eyes growing wide. He opened his mouth, about to protest but you immediately butted in and said, “I insist. We’re not leaving if I don’t get you at least one book!”

 

You pointed a finger at him and narrowed your eyes in some form of a threat. He stared at you with his lips pressed into a displeased line but the more he did so, the more he felt himself cave. Here he is again, not being able to resist you or say no. Before he even knew it, he was already nodding his head.

 

He let out an amused chuckle the moment you clapped your hands. Wonwoo tried to fake being annoyed at you but he failed when you smiled at him widely, your eyes turning into little crescents. He just couldn’t help himself from reaching over to pinch your cheek and scrunch his nose at you.

 

Finally, Wonwoo started to crack open one of the books. You two basically ignored each other then, completely engrossed in the books you were reading for more than an hour. It was only when Wonwoo took his glasses off, resting his eyes for a little bit, did you both notice the time.

 

You’ve definitely been here for a while. It was already getting late so you mutually decided that you should go home. You got up from your seats and picked up the books you had, making your way back to the bazaar to pay for them.

 

Finished, Wonwoo automatically hugged you and planted a big, fat kiss on the top of your head. “Thank you so much, my love,” he whispered against your hair before letting go. “Seriously, thank you for bringing me here and for buying me a new book.” He was holding your hand, his eyes looking deeply into yours that held so much of his appreciation and love for you.

 

You didn’t know that your heart could swell even more than it already did but just by the way he looked at you, your heart felt full to the brim. To you, this wasn’t that big of a deal. You just really wanted him to de-stress and enjoy something you knew he loved but to him this actually meant a lot.

 

You were honestly just as grateful. You were grateful of how much he appreciated your tiny effort. “No problem, bub,” you belatedly replied as you walked towards the exit. You squeezed his hand and held it up to your lips, giving it a small kiss.

 

Wonwoo felt his heart stop, like he couldn’t ing breathe. This was crazy. How could you feel like this from a light peck on the back of your hand? Is it always like that when you love someone? Whatever they do, even if it’s the smallest things, your heart just flutters uncontrollably?

 

“Why are you doing this?” he breathed out, recovering from the almost heart attack you just gave him. You were innocently swinging your hands together as you looked up and hummed, not knowing what he meant by his question. He looked down at you, staring at your innocent eyes and then chuckled. “You’re making me fall even harder for you. You’re really going to be stuck with me forever!”

 

Your head fell back in laughter, affecting Wonwoo and making him laugh as well. You shot him a flirty wink and said, “That’s the plan.” You laughed yet again while Wonwoo just shook his head at you fondly. He let go of your hand to put his arm over your shoulder and pulled you close. You were squealing when he started to kiss your head and cheeks repeatedly, attacking you with his affection.

 

When you finally arrived at the car park, before you two parted ways to get into the car, Wonwoo gently cupped your face. He pressed his lips on your forehead and whispered a sweet, “I love you.” His lips lingered there for a moment with you closing your eyes in bliss and contentment.

 

You absolutely loved it when he does that. Goosebumps would spread all over your body and you would just feel like melting into a huge puddle of goo. You bit onto your bottom lip to stop an earsplitting smile from spreading on your face. Slowly, as he pulled away, you look up at him and searched his beautifully sparkling orbs. “I love you too,” you whispered back.  

 

 

Time flew by fast. The next thing you knew, it was already Saturday and it was Wonwoo’s turn visit your home town. Your mother decided to have a simple barbeque party for her birthday. You honestly thought it was going to be small gathering with just your relatives and her close friends (which is probably just Wonwoo’s parents) but you were surprised to see many other people there.

 

Yes, your relatives were there. Literally all of them, so that alone was already quite a lot of people but then you saw your mother and father’s colleagues, their friends from high school and college, and even some of the vendors at the market they both always buy from.

 

By the time you arrived, the party has pretty much started already. The way your parents greeted Wonwoo was exactly how his parents greeted you too. It was as if he was their child and not you. You ran to them, crushing them both in a hug. You were that excited to see them again but you ended up just deflating when first thing they said to you was, “Where’s Wonwoo?”   

 

You gave them a deadpanned look. You knew well that they were just teasing but still. As if on cue, Wonwoo appeared from behind you. Your parents let go of you almost immediately to go give their pseudo son a big, warm hug. They bombarded him with questions right then and there, asking why he doesn’t visit them as often, how his studies were going and all sorts of other things.

 

It was obvious that they adored him very much, particularly your father since they get along so well. Like always, their casual conversation escalated quickly into talks about politics and philosophy. You watched their exchange quietly, shaking your head fondly, your heart feeling warm.

 

You practically became invisible now so you decided to just let them be and greet other people. You went to talk to your relatives first, specially your aunts and uncles that you haven’t seen in a long time, and then everyone else.

 

While you were busy catching up with them, Wonwoo had finally gotten away from the clutches of your parents. He made a beeline to where you were, eyes trained on you the entire time. He slipped his arm around your waist, lips automatically tugging into an adoring smile when you looked up at him. “I see you’ve escaped,” you joked.

 

He feigned being upset, pouting as he replied with, “I can’t believe you just left me,” he said through his pouty lips.  “You know how talkative your dad could get! I thought I’d be stuck with him for at least two hours.” You laughed and lightly punched his chest. It was true. He’s not even exaggerating about her Dad possibly keeping for more than an hour.

 

“He’s seriously going to—” Your words died in your throat. In that very moment, you saw your cousin making her way through the crown and you both made eye contact with each other. You… didn’t know what to feel or how to react. You haven’t seen her since that party that Wonwoo took her to… when things were still a little messy.  

 

There was definitely an awkward air between you two right now and it just multiplied when Wonwoo traced your line of vision, seeing her too. He stiffened in the slightest, gulping as he looked back to you. You and her have just been staring at each other all this time, the eye contact only breaking when she dropped her eyes down to Wonwoo’s arm around your waist.

 

She seemed to be heading your way, your eyes locking again. It felt like you were both just waiting for the other to do something other than just stare. Hesitantly, you offered her a small smile and to your surprise, she returned it. Wonwoo did the same as well, unconsciously caressing your side to calm his nerves. The closer she got to you guys, the wider her smile became.

 

“I missed you, unnie,” she told you the moment that she was close enough. Immediately, you turned soft. Your eyes became glassy and you didn’t think twice about pulling her into a hug. “I missed you too, little bean.” Wonwoo stood a few meters away to give you both time to yourselves.

 

To say that you felt really happy with your little interaction would be an understatement. Because although thing were going well with you and Wonwoo, you still carried a little bit of weight on your shoulders for what happened to the three of you.

 

Now that you were sure that everything was good between you guys, you couldn’t explain the joy and lightness that you felt. She even wished you both well on your (future) relationship before walking away. You chuckled at that and shook your head as Wonwoo returned to you. You looked up at him, grinning happily, him adorably scrunching his nose at you and tickling your sides.

 

Not all your relatives have met him so while you were waiting to have lunch, you went around introducing him to everyone. And as you expected, they loved him right away. They were completely enamored by him much like your parents were and still are.

 

They all assumed that he was your boyfriend though, making you a tad bit flustered. It didn’t help either that when you correct them and say that he was actually your best friend, they would look down at his arm around you and raise an eyebrow at you teasingly.  You blushed furiously but you just respond with a playful roll of your eyes.

 

As lunch came, it was all but pure chaos. You were all sitting in a long picnic table in the middle of the backyard, your relatives a little too boisterous. You felt extremely embarrassed by how they were acting. You were worried that Wonwoo was getting uncomfortable but when you turned to him, he was actually enjoying their obnoxious way of recalling memories and funny family stories.

 

They were talking on top of each other. It was near damn impossible to understand or even know to listen to and they were so loud! They were almost shouting just to be heard but your father’s voice pierced through the noise and suddenly said, “So why are you two not dating yet?”

 

In an instant, everyone shut their mouths, several heads swiveling to look at you and Wonwoo. The two of you exchanged looks, both our eyes wide from being caught off guard. We ended up chuckling to yourselves. It was amusing that both your parents seem to really want you together already.

 

“I’m still courting her, Uncle. She says that I have to convince her first before we can be official,” he answered for the both of you and bumped your shoulder with his teasingly. You glanced at your Dad to see his reaction and you couldn’t help but chuckled when he seemed to be giving you a dirty look.

 

“Why? What for? You know,” he began, shifting in his seat. You rolled your eyes playfully. You’ve already heard this story one too many times before. “I asked your mother straight away if she’d marry me before we even began dating and she said yes! What’s taking you so long?” You chuckled. “Well, we’re not you and mom so…”

 

For a moment, silence fell and you just continued to eat until you father sighed, saying, “It’d just be great to have another man in the house. I love you and your mother very much, dear. But I really want a son-in-law already!” You gawped at him, heating rushing to your cheeks and ears. How could he say that in front of your entire family? And Wonwoo himself!

 

You were definitely speechless at this point. The only thing you were able to do was blink and grow stiff. “Uncle,” Wonwoo suddenly spoke, chuckling at your loss of words and red face. “I’m only asking her to be my girlfriend, not my wife.”

 

“Why?! Don’t you want to marry my daughter?” You practically jumped in your seat at the volume your father just used. You sent him a quick glare before turning to Wonwoo. You gave him an apologetic look but he only smiled at you, giving your thigh a light squeeze. He leaned over the table a little so that he can meet your father’s eyes

 

“I’m sorry, Uncle.” He chuckled. You just stared at him, anticipating what he had to say as much as everyone else. “Let me rephrase that. What I meant to say was that—” He took a quick pause just to put his hand on top of yours, squeezing it lightly. His lips curl into a miniscule smile as he continued and said, “I’m still asking her to be my girlfriend, not my wife… yet.”

 

His eyes slide to yours the moment he finished his sentence and before you even knew it, your face— or at his point, your entire body burst into flames. Your family members became loud once again but everything seemed to be muffled to you right now. All you could focus on was Wonwoo, his wide, reassuring smile and his eyes… sparkling, holding so much love and adoration for you. 

 

 

After lunch, you and Wonwoo had separated ways to mingle with other people. He was talking to your Dad and some of your uncles over some beer while you mostly stayed with your mother and cousins. The younger ones, most especially the girls, didn’t seem to be over what Wonwoo just said to your father… and the entire damn family.

 

Honestly speaking, you weren’t too. Him saying that… was kind of terrifying to you but at the same, you felt loved. Perhaps he said that to get your father off his back, to get on his good side even more. That’s what you had initially thought but you know him. Wonwoo wouldn’t say something like that if there isn’t at least a little bit of truth to it.

 

Just thinking about it again has managed to make you blush and your cousins weren’t very forgiving with their teasing. “Sheesh, stop it! He was just messing with you guys,” you told them, just so that they’d stop and also to calm yourself down a little bit because your heart was racing right now. 

 

“No, it didn’t seem like that at all!” The rest quickly agreed to your other cousin, you not having the energy to counter anymore so you just let them be. You only rolled your eyes good-naturedly and shook your head. Eventually, because Wonwoo can never really be away from you for too long, he excused himself from your Dad and finally went looking for you.

 

Like magnets, your eyes immediately met amongst the crown and he automatically flashed you a smile. Feeling cheeky, you stuck your tongue out at him instead, making him pout as he walked towards you. Like all the other times today, his arm slipped around your waist like it was some form of habit but this time, he kissing your head too.

 

“Hey,” he greeted belatedly, swaying you. “Hi,” was your abrupt reply in between tiny giggles that erupted from your throat. Perhaps, you’ve had a lot to drink today already. Your cousins, who have now seemed to fade in the background, just shared teasing grins you and left you two alone.

 

“Having fun?” you cheerfully asked as you brushed his hair back and fixed his glasses. He just nodded, smiling. You’re both pretty much quiet then. He ended up just staring at you for some reason and you did the same. It felt a little weird though, the gaze he was giving you. You couldn’t exactly place it but there was definitely something behind it.

 

Slowly, as the silence between you stretched on, you raised a suspicious eyebrow at him. “What?” you said, finally breaking the silence. The smile etched on his face grew a tad bit wider and he chuckled. “What do you mean, what?” Even the tone he used was suspicious to you. If you weren’t mistaken, you heard some playfulness in there.

 

“Is there something you need to say? Why are you looking at me like that?” You frowned, your brows furrowing with your knowledge and seeing that only made him laugh. He pulled you into him, tucking your head under his chin, swaying you around again. He didn’t answer you. He was, instead, dropping a few kisses on the top of your head.

 

‘Seriously, what is up with him?’ you thought, laughing quietly to yourself as you pulled away and looked up at him. He looked so happy, his smile was different and that blasted gaze he has on you… What the hell does it mean? What was it trying to convey to you? You didn’t understand.

 

“Hmm… You’re looking awfully happy right now. Are you drunk or something?” He chuckled yet again and finally set his drink aside so that his other hand was free. He let go of your for a moment, suddenly digging inside his jacket for something.

 

You didn’t pay much attention to it, busying sipping your own drink but then you saw him pull a small velvet box and suddenly all your attention was on him. You froze completely, your eyes slightly wide as you stared at it in his hand. There was a million and one thoughts running inside your head but the moment prominent one was your inner voice screaming, ‘What the ?! What the actual ?!’ 

 

“There’s something I want to ask you…” he started, his voice calm and serious despite the smile still playing on his lips. With that, you finally came back to your senses and let out the breath you were unknowingly holding. Everyone was staring at you right now but you didn’t even notice.

 

He opened the small box and like you had expected, there was a gorgeous ring sitting inside it. You swallowed, the one million and one thoughts you had earlier leaving your mind without a trace, now just completely blank. He softly called out your, making you melt and look right into his orbs.

 

“Will…” At this point, it wasn’t only you who was holding your breath. Everyone else was and your mother, ever so emotional, was already in tears. “…your mother like this ring? My mom picked it out herself but I just need your opinion on it before I give it to her.”

 

You let out a soft exhale through your mouth and pretty soon, you were taking angry breaths. Your eyes narrowed at him. You were gripping your cup a little too tightly, ready to either throw it at him or pour your drink over his head. He was laughing, along with your father and uncles who he had been talking to since a while ago.

 

Everyone was dumbfounded and confused, silently exchanging looks, trying to figure out what the hell just happened. “Bub, did you think I was going to propose?” He managed to say in between his fit of laughter. He seemed to be having so much fun tricking you but you were practically pissed right now.  

 

“W-Wait, that ring is for me?” Your mother cut in when she had finally recovered. Wonwoo quickly turned to her and handed it over. “Yes, auntie. It’s our present for you. Happy birthday!” He gave her big hug, your father immediately singing happy birthday so everyone else followed.

 

Your uncle, your mom’s brother, came out from inside the house with a cake in his hands and everyone’s attention was quickly diverted. You tried your best to put on a smile and sing cheerfully but you couldn’t hide your annoyance with what Wonwoo just pulled.

 

As they all gathered around your mother to greet her and watch her blow out her candles, Wonwoo squeezed his way through to go to you. You were at the back, pouting. “Bubby,” he called out to you, chuckling when he reached for your hands but you hid them behind you. “Hey, I’m really sorry about that. You’re Dad made me do it!”

 

He was still laughing, still so smiley and it just made you jut your lip out even more. “You could’ve said no, you know?” His laughter finally died down and this time, you allowed him to take your hands into his. He nodded, his eyes flitting across your face, a loving smile gradually tugging at his lips.

 

“Yeah, I could have,” he belatedly said, laughing yet again as he tucked some loose strands of hair behind your ear.  You glared at him and punched him in the arm. “Ouch! I was just kidding, sheesh.” He quickly pulled you into a hug, his lips pressing against your forehead as he apologized over and over again.

 

The playfulness in his tone was long gone, replaced by a sweeter, gentler tone. He spoke to you so softly it was as if he was cooing at a little baby and really, with the way you were acting right now, you seemed like one too. Eventually, you found yourself sighing in defeat. You raised your arms to hug him back and told him it was okay.

 

He pulled away ever so slightly and cupped your cheeks with his hands. “Really? You mean it?” You nodded, slowly stretching your lips into a smile. From your orbs, his eyes dropped down to your lips and although he meant to just take a glance, now he couldn’t stop staring.

 

Your lips were mere centimeters away from his. They look soft and plump, in the most perfect shade of pink. He knew exactly what they felt like and how they would move against his but he hadn’t kissed your lips in a long time. Suddenly, in that very moment, he wondered what they still feel the same. Would they taste the same? Sweet and addicting? What if he…    

Unconsciously, Wonwoo leaned in as he continued to just stare at your lips. And you didn’t stop him. In fact, you stood perfectly still and just waited. Your eyes simultaneously closed then, your lips finally crashing against each other.

 

You felt like you were on fire. You almost forgot how you felt when he kisses you. You almost forgot the way it drove you crazy, made your head spin and the butterflies that would attack your stomach. Your heart rammed rapidly against your cheat, your breath knocked right out of your lungs.

 

You felt like a puddle of goo. Your knees were way too weak and you had to hold on to him for dear life. When your lungs have both failed you, needing air, you both broke away from the kiss but only a little. He pressed his forehead against yours with eyes still close to savor the moment. You were breathing each other in, soft smiles playing on your lips.

 

You stayed like that for while with you reaching up to cup his cheeks too. Your skin was tingling, like every fiber of your being felt ecstatic to finally do that again. Slowly, you pulled away from him and he followed, though a little hesitantly. You didn’t say anything to each other, you just shared a contented smile.

 

He had dropped his hands from your face to your waist while you remained cupping his cheeks. The longer you stared at him, the tempted you were to kiss him again but then, something seemed to flash before his eyes. He seemed shocked all of a sudden. “What’s—”

 

“I’m so sorry!” He blurted out. “I-I didn’t mean to kiss you. I know I’m supposed to until you officially become my girlfriend b-but…” he trailed off, looking a tiny bit mortified. You searched his eyes and seeing the fear in them made you chuckle. “You don’t have to apologize, Wonwoo. It’s alright.”

 

And before he could say anything, you kissed him again. You wrapped your arms around him, pulling him even closer but he seemed to be resisting. You pulled away, chuckling. ”What? You don’t want to kiss your girlfriend?” His eyebrows pinched in confused. “I… don’t have one yet? You still d—”

 

Now you do!” you cut him off, giggling as you pulled him in for another kiss. It took a couple of seconds for it to sink in but when Wonwoo finally understood what you were saying, he responded to the kiss and wrapped his arms tight around your small frame.

 

He was grinning into the kiss, making your lips land on his teeth instead. You pulled away laughing, even more so when your relatives, who you seemed to have forgotten about, were cheering for the both of you.  

 


 

| Author's Note |

OH MY GOD

We're done! This fic is finally (but also sadly) complete!!!

I don't... exactly know what to say haha

First of all, HOLY THIS WAS LONG

I don't even why or how it became this long but I guess... because this is the last chap, I kind of went all out??

Lol, idek anymore haha 

Second, I THINK THIS IS JUST A HUGE PILE OF  F  L  U  F  F  VOMIT

I guess I went all out on the fluff too ^  ^" but AAAA I hope you enjoy reading this!

Please drop your thoughts below :*

ILY and see you guys in the Seokmin spin-off ;) 

(click on the posters if you're insterested in the spin-off)

lovelots,

Riddikilus