Part 4 - Comfort

Relapse

Part 4

 

Comfort

Tired from today’s activities, the giants found themselves in a corner booth, eating at their favourite restaurant.

The atmosphere is a complete antithesis to the arcade: the candles create orange ghosts on the wall; the quiet murmuring of nearby consumers; the gentle hissing and sizzling coming from the Korean barbecues. As expected, Yujin was eating tteokbokki—devouring would be a better way to describe her. Yujin was about to bite into another piece until she noticed Wonyoung was staring at her; her cheeks flashed red and she smiled to herself. It always made Wonyoung smile seeing Yujin eating her favourite food. Happiness was simple for Wonyoung, “Eat well and sleep well”. But as she grew older and the world become more complex, she noticed that other things made her happy—like the way the girl opposite her had somehow managed to get sauce all over her face.

“You have something here.”, Wonyoung informed her,

“Hmm? Where?”, Yujin muttered with her cheek stuffed with food. Wonyoung playfully booped her nose, they giggled and then Wonyoung sighed, leaning her cheek against her hand—as if she was worried about something, worried that this wouldn’t last, worried as if she wouldn’t be able to do this again.

 

She felt faint. She quickly held Yujin’s hand, a surprising act of affection that made both of them blush.

“I don’t think I can eat with you anymore.” Wonyoung mumbled. Her grip on Yujin’s hand loosened until they were no longer touching…

A few minutes later…

Wonyoung opened her eyes to a blurry Yujin, her head pulsating.

“You’re cute when you pretend to sleep. For a moment, I had actually thought you dozed off.” Yujin said and Wonyoung nervously laughed.

“So why can’t you eat with me anymore?”, Yujin questioned.

“Umm… because I’m on a diet!” Wonyoung was aberrantly quick to answer. She wondered whether she should just tell her. Silence makes things worse, like shutting a door on a house that’s on fire – it festers and grows; becomes malignant.

Yujin laughed at her answer, “A diet? Why would you need to go on a diet with your model-like proportions? I’m the one that needs to go to the gym more”, pouting.

“Then maybe we can go together?”, suggested Wonyoung. Despite the inevitable, people have a natural tendency to relieve themselves by planning impossible futures.

Yujin smiled at the idea—a silent agreement, a silent promise.

 

Wonyoung excused herself as she entered the restroom, leaving Yujin alone with her glass and premature grief.

 

 

There are so many things couples do when they have dinner together: feed each other; link arms when they drink wine; kiss spilled food that have found itself on their partner’s face. A failure to fulfil these will be another of Wonyoung’s regrets.