Part 2 - Cherry Blossom

Relapse

Part 2

 

Cherry Blossom

They arrived hand in hand at the park. Wonyoung noticed that only one of the “familiar couple” from before remained on the park bench; seemingly crying.

“Race you to the swings!” Wonyoung yelled as Yujin accepted her challenge, both of them dashing towards the antique playground as if they were small toddlers again.

“You will never beat me in running Wonyoungiiee,” Yujin boasted as she innocently flashed her cute smile. Reliving her youth, Yujin immediately climbed up the apparatus and went down the slide. Wonyoung made sure to scare her as she came out of the slide; she pondered to herself: “life is the leap of the heart when I see her face.” Bursting with energy, Yujin hastily climbed back up and entered the slide once more. Disappointed, she saw Wonyoung sitting by herself on the swings like a child who had run away from home, unloved by their family.

Yujin carefully took the seat next to her. She raised her hand as if to pat Wonyoung on the back but let it fall. Wonyoung looked so alone, so painfully alone; the feel of the wind against her face was refreshing., it felt like everything would be alright.

 

“I need to go use the bathroom. Be back in a second!” Wonyoung told Yujin, leaving Yujin on the swings—alone.

She entered the toilets and began to wash her hands, sighing to herself. She felt a sudden nostalgia for the small, public restroom, the silence, the pale light; to be alone. She investigated the mirror for some reflection of the wisdom her life must have given her in these short 14 years, but she saw only a frightened girl, boarded up like a store during a riot.

Yujin was pulling at the petals of a rose when a door slammed. Peering at where the sound came from, Wonyoung’s easy, slightly open gait showed a hidden discomfort. Wonyoung felt heavy as she trudged passed her best friend, laughter from nearby dogwalkers deflected her. Followed by Yujin, she barged through a beggar.

“Wonyoung!”, snapped Yujin

“What!?”, rebuked Wonyoung

In truth, Wonyoung did notice the beggar but felt a strange sense of arrogance and pride inside herself. She was shocked by her own action, like she was being driven too far down a road when she only wanted to travel a short distance.

“I’m sorry. I’m not sure what just happened.” Wonyoung pouted whilst fiddling with her fingers, drowned with guilt and regret.

 

 

“Don’t worry about it. It was an accident.” Yujin soothed her. Wonyoung fetched up a smile for her reassuring face, nervously, with obscure shame. She began to rub the back of her neck. Noticing she was uncomfortable, Yujin bumped her with her hip encouragingly.

Yujin curiously asked, “Come on. Where to next?”

“Hang on, I want to show you something”, Wonyoung cryptically replied, sitting down at the park bench in which the “familiar couple” were sitting in previously.

“My mummy sent me this a few days ago.” Wonyoung said, taking out her phone. She pressed play and laughter boomed from the speakers; one of the countless precious memories of their childhood playing in the park. They both smiled back to the little girls in the video.

 

 

Just like this video, this moment would also become a memory she would take with her.