Part 5 - The First Snow

Relapse

 

 

Part 5

 

The First Snow

Namsan Seoul Tower: the second highest point of Seoul. They say you can see everything up there.

A sense of tears came to Wonyoung as she counted the steps up the tower, as if they were the slow stages of both a love story and a tragedy. They walked up to where they had their first school trip together, with all their friends.

Love locks.

They’re supposed to symbolise how the love between a couple will last forever. Not for Wonyoung though. These locks are a substitute for the eternity their love should have lasted, a reminder of the futility of Wonyoung’s desire to spend the rest of her life with her.

Wonyoung and Yujin participated in this romantic pilgrimage. If you go and visit Namsan Tower, you’ll be able to find a white padlock with a pink heart on it. And on it will be written: “Annyeongz”.

But hidden away in the corner, you might find another padlock: a snowflake. Secret, as if the person who placed it there didn’t want it to be found. And on it will be written: “Wonyoung was here. D-1”

The two girls stood next to each other, holding hands. They looked at the city below them—a symbiote of beautiful colours. They looked at their city which is home to all their shared memories.

They now faced each other. They both smiled. Two angels, sparkling like a starry sky in the winter. Their eyes look like they embrace the stars. When they look into each other’s eyes, it feels like they’re walking on a beach in a night sky blanketed by stars.

The First Snow

 

“If you are out in the first snow with someone you like, true love will blossom between you two”

“If you are with your significant other, you will be together, forever”

 

They hugged each other.

Sometimes, all your feelings can be conveyed with just a hug.

 

“Don’t you think the snow looks like cherry blossoms?”, Wonyoung asked.

They left the tower, walking as a couple.

The day they walked together with the same dream.

“Since I’m with you, I am able to dream a brightly shining dream again tonight. With you.”

“As we dream. The snowflakes that dropped will all become the light. And will shine on you once more”

“I’ll shine on you brightly. You’re my world. You’re my light, oh my heart.”

 

 

“I love you”. Their hearts repeated those 3 magical words to each other.

 

 

They still held hands, Yujin’s thumb brushing against the top of Wonyoung’s hand.

Perfect.

Wonyoung wished that this “now” could go on forever. Her homely heart was touched by the word “forever”.

As if they were small toddlers again, Yujin piggybacked Wonyoung. Wonyoung loved the scent of flowers in Yujin’s hair; her slightly ragged breathing; her warm body.

“I wish time would just stand still”

Yujin could feel her shoulder was wet with tears. But she was unable to ask her why.

 

Departure made them sentimental

“See you later”

 

 

 

They didn’t know it then, but that was when they said Goodbye to each other, and love.