Time

Epidemic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: note that I’ve changed Yongsun and Hyejin’s names to their stage names, Solar and Hwasa respectively. now that that’s cleared, please enjoy this chapter! 


 

***


 

Kai’s eyes were bloodshot. 

 

Dawn has long broke but he has yet to sleep a wink. Kai has been staying vigil by his wife’s side for the whole night as he waited for her to open her eyes. Normally, pregnant women wouldn’t stay unconscious for this long. But because this wasn’t the usual situation, the doctors had no choice but to transfer Sehun from the small infirmary to the New Discoveries department. The late king’s second daughter, Irene, suggested for a blood test after contacting Sehun’s gynae. According to her, a proper analysis was essential— not because Sehun was pregnant, but because she’s Sehun. 

 

Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun has left the night before. There was an early morning assembly at 8am, but Baekhyun assured that he would cover for him while he waited for Sehun to crack her eyes open. 

 

The ward’s door slid open. Irene walked in with her younger sister, Seulgi, in tow. Kai’s expression was solemn, he was originally against the idea of taking Sehun’s blood samples, especially when the brunette hated needles the most. Whatever she had to say, better be worth extracting his wife’s blood. 

 

“How is she.”

 

A chill ran down Irene’s spine when Kai’s voice reverberated against the cold walls of the ward. But she maintained her composure as she retrieved her tablet from her younger sister.

 

“I’ve spoken to her gynae for urgent updates,” Irene glance to her tablet and back to Kai, “Are you aware that she was already in danger of a miscarriage due to her weak body?”

 

Kai’s eyes flickered in guilt. His jaw tightened as his palms balled into fists by his sides, why didn’t she tell him?

 

Irene noticed how Kai was reluctant to answer, “Well, from the tests we’ve run, there seems to be no issues. The baby seems to be fine but—”

 

“But what.”

 

Seulgi gulped as she shifted nervously behind her sister, Kai looked scary. She gave her sister a once over before letting the older sibling continue.

 

“But if anything happens to her again, I cannot guarantee both of their safety.”

 

Irene swiped a few buttons on her tablet before it switched to a larger holoscreen. She circled a few areas of the analysis she managed to retrieve from Sehun’s cells and the baby’s development while she explained to Kai what they all meant.

 

“Because of what’s she’s gone through, the chances of her ever getting pregnant were as high as 12%. Needless to say, this pregnancy is both a miracle and a risk.” She started, keeping a straight face as she swiped to the next slide. “If she slips or experiences other accidents that would lead to a miscarriage, she can never conceive ever again.”

 

Kai clamped his eyes shut as he tried to register every bit of information Irene broke to him. He didn’t know what he should pay attention to— his tears that fought to spill, or the lump in his throat that wouldn’t subside. 

 

He was exhausted.

 

Irene bit her lip. Kai didn’t look ready to hear her next words but—

 

“Because it’s been more than 10 weeks, a dilation and curettage procedure would be necessary.” She looked to her sister when Kai didn’t open his eyes. “It might be a normal procedure for any other would-be mothers but…”

 

As she trailed, a soft groan came from Sehun’s direction. Kai whipped his head faster than he himself could realise, advancing quickly towards his wife’s side.

 

“Kai…” Sehun breathed as she slowly opened her eyes. Her eyes widened as she shot up from the bed, sitting upright when she caught hold of Kai’s hand. “What… what about—”

 

“The baby’s fine.” Kai assured, squeezing her palm. 

 

“Do you feel any pain?” Kai asked once the sisters have left the room, planting a soft kiss on her knuckles. 

 

Sehun shook her head as she laid back down. She couldn’t remember how much it hurt but what she could recall was how scared she was of losing her baby. She knew she was in danger of experiencing a miscarriage, and the chances of being able to conceive again was near zero. Hearing that the baby was fine, Sehun sighed in relief as she released her hand from her husband’s hold. Bringing her arms over her face, Sehun let out another breath. 

 

The baby’s fine. The baby’s fine. The baby’s fine… You’re fine… She kept repeating to herself. 

 

But Kai saw how she pulled back her lips to hide their trembling. Without uttering a word, he climbed onto the wide bed. His wife shifted in her position, turning to the other side as she kept her composure.

 

“Sehun,” Kai called out softly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “Sehun.”

 

He pushed her arms away and pulled her into his arms as he sat them both upright. Gently, he lifted her face and rubbed soothing circles on her cheeks, letting her head rest on his chest.

 

“Don’t bite.” He told as he brushed his thumb on her reddening lips. “Why didn’t you tell me that this is a risky pregnancy, for both you and the baby?”

 

Sehun’s tears started rolling down her fair cheeks as she squeezed her palms into fists. 

 

“I didn’t want you to worry…” She mumbled, wiping at her eyes. “I thought everything would be fine if I took care of myself properly.”

 

The air stilled as she hiccuped into her husband’s chest, sniffling and sobbing lightly through fat tears. “I’m sorry… I’m sorry Kai—”

 

“Hey, hey.” Kai cupped a side of her cheek and gave her a warm smile, “It’s okay Sehun, it’s not your fault.” He tightened his embrace around her, fighting his own tears as he thought about how occupied and busy he has been for the past few months. He hasn’t even been attending her check-ups together with her to even know about her condition.

 

“I’m so sorry Sehun, you must’ve been so scared.” Kai closed his eyes shut and kissed Sehun’s crown. “I promise I’ll be by your side from now on.”

 

He took his wife’s hand into his and gave another peck on her fingers, “Will you give me a chance, Sehun?”

 

Sehun drew half a grin on her lips. Bringing a palm up to her husband’s cheek, Sehun tenderly caressed his face and gave a short peck on Kai’s plump lips. He laughed and brought her deeper into his arms, “Is that a yes then?”

 

Sehun scrunched her nose as she looked into Kai’s eyes, feeling the fear and worry extinguish almost instantly as she bathed in her husband’s warmth. Kai connected both their foreheads together as he whispered, “I love you Sehun.”

 

The brunette hummed and sighed, “I love you too Kai.”

 

Sehun didn’t think that being honest with her own feelings would make her feel relieved; as if a heavy weight was lifted off her chest. Kai has always been busy with abiding by Luhan’s orders, being the main leader of the strongest armies the kingdom has ever birthed. She tried not to succumb to loneliness, knowing how detrimental it could be to both her health and the baby’s— understanding how difficult Kai was having it, what with the larger scope of duties he has to cover all on his own. 

 

But it was hard. 

 

Not having him by her side and only being able to spend three out of seven days at most during dinner w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter