Responsibilities

Epidemic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris planted a soft kiss on his daughter’s forehead. He didn’t think he’d be leaving so soon, especially since they had just found each other. But he couldn’t get comfortable living in the palace. It reminded him of too many circumstances that pushes him to remember the mistakes he’s done.

 

“Shi— ah,” Kris let out a small chuckle, “Sehun.” he tried again. “I have to start getting used to calling you that now.”

 

His daughter simpered as she drew half a smile. Although it wasn’t tradition, Kris thought it would be better to have his daughter take Kai’s last name and to change her first. He wanted her to have a fresh start and being tied to her maiden name would probably restrict her. Especially since there’s quite a heavy history tied to Kris’s name. Ever since then, despite needing a little getting used to, one by one the people closest to her started calling her Sehun.

 

The brunette had to admit, she didn’t want her dad to leave so soon. But more than that, she didn’t want him to live with guilt every morning either. “I heard Boa left earlier this morning?”

 

Kris nodded. “She needs to complete a few arrangements.” His eyes cast downwards briefly, a soft smile crept on his lips as he averted his gaze to Sehun’s beady orbs. “Is he aware yet?”

 

Sehun let out a small giggle, shaking her head. “He’s busy, but maybe I’ll tell him tonight.”

 

Kris beamed as he gave a sigh. Pulling his daughter into a hug, the man gave her one final squeeze before turning his back as he left the palace. Sehun swallowed thickly as she watched her father’s back growing smaller and smaller as he went further and further into the sunset. As the sun sank deeper into the horizon, her father turned to give her one last glance as he waved his last farewell. 

 

The gates of the palace slowly closed once the sun disappeared, and Sehun genuinely prayed that her father would find what he’s been seeking. Then maybe someday, they’ll see each other again. And maybe someday, he’ll be able to forgive himself for the mistakes he’s done, and for the lives he’s cost. 

 

She gave a long bow as the gates close shut, “Please take care. And may we see each other again.”



 



 

Chanyeol his lips as tried to creep up Baekhyun’s bed while the latter still had his nose buried in his book. He let out a soft sigh, Chanyeol didn’t even know why Baekhyun chose to move in with him instead of having his previous room all to himself after Kai moved out. Wasn’t it better to have your own room. 

 

Of course, Chanyeol doesn’t really have a problem with Baekhyun being around. What frustrated him was the fact that Baekhyun was rarely in the room, and that he barely spared any attention to Chanyeol despite his frequent attempts to strike a conversation. 

 

The whole Resistance Team was reshuffled after Luhan took over his father’s throne. And he almost never bumps into Baekhyun despite him taking over Kai’s position as General about 2 months ago. The former was currently made Marshal of both the palace’s guards and the Resistance Team. Manpower was increased from 200 to 500 people and Baekhyun has been occupied with training the new recruits ever since the reshuffle. Those who were heavily involved with the previous mission to Zenn were made head of subunits— there are currently 7 subsectors. Still, it didn’t make sense how Luhan preferred only to have Kai controlling both armies when their purposes were different. 

 

“Baekhyun.” Chanyeol called out as he brought himself nearer to his current roommate. But as always, there was no response. “I don’t understand, first you insisted to move rooms but you won’t even talk to me.”

 

Baekhyun let out a soft sigh, “I do, just not often.” He put his book down and turned his cheek only to instantly back away when he realised how close Chanyeol’s face was to his. “Wha— how close do you want to be?”

 

The latter let out a small chuckle before backing away himself, “Sorry.”

 

Baekhyun let out another sigh, “Talking to you makes me tired Chanyeol, I don’t have that much energy nowadays especially with what’s been going on in the Internal Court.”

 

Chanyeol cocked his head to one side, wasn’t the queen in-charge of the Internal Court? What does that have to do with anyone from the External Court like him and Baekhyun?

 

“You… really need to keep up with things like this.” Baekhyun shook his head and crashed onto his soft bed. “Luhan wants to reinstate his mother, but the Ministers are non-agreeable to this because the current queen is alive. And we can’t have two women holding the same position.”

 

“What’s worse is that Luhan’s father isn’t in his best health. The Ministers are starting to think that he doesn’t have his priorities straight.”

 

Chanyeol frowned, “But what can he do… the man’s old— ow!”

 

Chanyeol hissed as he harshly rubbed away the pain he felt from Baekhyun’s strong slap on his lower back. “You know, you should really stop spending time with that guy, what was his name—”

 

“Kyungsoo?”

 

“YES!” Chanyeol rolled his eyes, “His slaps hurt so much!”

 

Baekhyun let out a chuckled at Chanyeol’s cute whining. He was about to say something else when someone knocked on their door. They briefly shared a glance before the General slipped out of his bed and opened the door. 

 

“Sehun?” Baekhyun quickly carved a beam on his face, “What brings you here?”

 

The girl raised a bag full of lollies and sweets, “It’s Halloween!” 

 

Both men frowned, not understanding what she meant. 

 

“Um, trick or treat?” 

 

She let out a frustrated puff when Baekhyun didn’t wipe the frown off his forehead. Pushing past her best friend, she settled herself onto Baekhyun’s bed and emptied the bag. She took a toffee and tossed it into before urging Chanyeol to help himself.

 

Baekhyun didn’t bother stopping her. It was a normal sight by now, with how busy Kai has been, Sehun didn’t have anyone else to spend her precious time with. Heck, being married didn’t even make a huge difference. It seemed as if they were more distant than they were before.

 

“Where did you even get all of that?” Baekhyun swatted Chanyeol’s hand away from grabbing onto another chocolate bar. He was already stuffing two of them in his mouth. “Didn’t you send your dad off this evening?”

 

Sehun fished out two bottles of plain water from her dress pocket and tossed one towards Chanyeol, nodding to Baekhyun’s question. 

 

“I dropped by the kitchen, and the cook’s kids gave me a bag.” She sang-song after chugging down a third of the bottle. She heaved a loud sigh as she rested her cheek on her palm, “Kai’s been so busy lately, it’s been four days since I last saw him.”

 

Chanyeol cocked an eyebrow, “Doesn’t he go to bed with you?”

 

Sehun shrugged, “He does, but he comes in after I sleep and leaves before I wake.” She leaned against Baekhyun’s fluffed pillows and fluttered her eyes shut, “I’m trying my best to understand his situation, what with all the burden he has to carry now. But to have both the palace guards and the King’s resistance team under him… he’ll never find time for me.”

 

Chanyeol gave a side eye to Baekhyun who seemed equally speechless. 

 

“Does that mean, you haven’t told him yet?”

 

The both of them had their gaze trained on her, widening their eyes when she shook her head, unfortunately. 

 

“Does Luhan know?” 

 

Another shake.

 

Baekhyun crossed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter