Dawn

Epidemic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai took in a few deep breaths, hastily rushing in quickened steps as towards the post-anesthetic care unit (PACU). He tried his best to avoid bumping into the nurses, but it was to no avail, he wasn’t in the right state of mind. Kai constantly mumbled apologies under his breath as he kept his eyes trained on the route he was heading for.

 

Room 17E, 17E… 17E… He kept repeating as his eyes looked for the specific ward as soon as he got to the rooms with the number 17 on them.

 

17B… 17D… 17E.

 

He finally stood motionless outside the ward where Sehun was supposed to be and despite the closed door, Kai could see the endless shuffling of at least 3 nurses in the room. He thought and rethought about wanting to open the door, until one of them harshly slid the beige door open.

 

“Oh!” The nurse exclaimed in shock, looking at Kai’s bloodshot eyes. His hair was still styled nicely, and his uniform still looked crisped. But anyone could tell that he was fretting over something for a few hours already.

 

A soft smile crept onto the nurse’s lips, “Are you the husband?”

 

Before he could respond, an echoed voice came resonating from the room, “Is he here?”

 

Kai’s ears perked up as the nurse turned to give a wider smile to whoever that spoke. She looked to him and sent another grin before letting him in.

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

“Sehun…?”

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

“Kai!”

 

A wave of surprise came rushing into Kai’s heart when he saw the blinding smile across Sehun’s face. It could’ve made anyone wonder if she actually did just give birth whilst surviving a 6-hour ordeal.

 

“Kai, come here! Come look”

 

The three nurses in the room looked to one another and giggled, excusing themselves out of the ward as they left the couple to themselves.

 

Kai slowly and reluctantly dragged himself to his wife, still not believing that she looked so filled with life and colour. He bent over the edge of the bed and got a closer look at Sehun, his eyes still searching her face, having difficulty registering the fact that she was still alive, breathing.

 

Right in front of him.

 

Sehun averted her gaze to her husband, her wide smile gradually softening as she wore an apologetic expression on her face. She raised her hand and rested a cold palm onto his sunken cheek, “I’m sorry, I must’ve worried you so much.”

 

Kai shook his head, muttering small no’s as he basked in her touch, fluttering his eyes shut. “No, it’s okay. I’m okay, I’m so happy Sehun.” He whispered, planting a kiss on her palm as he opened his tearing eyes.

 

He cupped her cheeks and pressed a gentle kiss on her forehead, “You’re really here Sehun,” He connected their foreheads and let his tears run down his cheek as he sobbed his worries away.

 

Kai’s never felt so relieved in all his life, he could feel his tensed muscles gradually relax as Sehun pulled him into an embrace, rubbing soothing circles in assurance. This probably wouldn’t be the first time Kai felt like he was going to lose her, and Sehun couldn’t help but feel apologetic about worrying him so much. Six hours of waiting without any news must’ve been exhausting and painful.

 

“It’s okay Kai, I’m here now. I always have been,” Sehun released her hold, smiling as she wiped his tears with her thumb, “I’ll always be.”

 

She pressed her forefinger onto Kai’s nose and muttered a small boop, letting loose a small chuckle from Kai.

“Oh,” Sehun let out a soft sigh, looking down to the bundle of white in her left arm, “Look who couldn’t wait to see us Kai.”

 

Kai’s smile dropped when he finally noticed the baby in Sehun’s arms. He was too fixated on his wife’s condition, temporarily forgetting that the reason she was there was because of the very child in front of him. Was that really…?

 

“I just fed him but he’s asleep now.” Sehun tapped her nose softly onto the baby’s forehead. She averted her gaze from her husband, her eyes twinkling and sparkling as if the whole universe was in her eyes. “Would you like to hold him?”

 

Kai’s lips parted as if surprised—no, he was surprised. He looked to Sehun’s hopeful expression and subconsciously reached his arms out, ready to hold the baby. Their baby.

 

Sehun rested against the pillows and watched with yearning eyes as Kai brought the baby closer to his chest. Outside, the sun was setting. But all Kai could see was light and brightness emitting the single ward. His forefinger slowly reached up to the child’s sleeping face, tracing the top of his forehead down to his chin. Another grin crept us his lips when the child moved slightly in his deep slumber.

 

Glancing back to his wife, Kai noticed how Sehun’s eyes turned glassy as she watched him give a loving stare to the baby she just gave birth to. Edging closer to her, Kai caressed half of her face before pressing his finger onto her nose. He bent further, with an arm grasping tightly around their son and his free palm on Sehun’s nape, slowly sealing their lips in a kiss as he whispered a quiet thank you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kim Tae Oh.

 

Krystal wore a proud smile over her lips as she held up the small, baby-sized, jumpsuit in her hands. The material was made of wool and Krystal made sure that she thoroughly checked through her sewing. She’s never sewed a baby suit before but she sure didn’t expect it to be more taxing and tedious than adult wear.

 

Her hands ran over the 3D lettering that she sewed at the front of the jumpsuit. It took her weeks to finish because of her schedule with Hwasa, but she hoped it would still fit the child. Especially since infants grow really quickly.

 

Sehun sent so many photos of their son to her and Krystal couldn’t believe that 10 months has passed already. She still had yet to meet with Taeoh in real life. Holograms of course, didn’t count.

 

If not for today’s event, she doubted she’d be able to see Taeoh so soon.

 

If not for his marriage, that is. She thought.

 

Yawning in exhaustion from the lack of sleep, Krystal carefully tucked the gift away in a small box and stuffed it into a paper bag. She then took a long, warm shower— drowning in the heat as she drew another smile on her face.

 

Maybe she should get hitched soon too.

 

She stepped out of the bath and changed into something warm, seeing how the night is almost here. Bringing the paper bag with her, Krystal made her way to her mother’s room with light footsteps.

 

“Come in Krystal.”

 

The princess pushed the door opened, coming face to face with her mother and—

 

“Oh, Luhan’s here… and—” she looked at the woman beside him and gave a small bow, “Lady Eden.”

 

Eden looked to the royal family and excused herself. Krystal waited for her to leave before turning to her brother. She couldn’t believe Luhan decided to take up Hwasa’s offer. Was getting married to someone he didn’t love even worth anything.

 

“Relax will you.” Luhan assured, noting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter