Chocolate Croissant CH.II

Chocolate Croissant

Kyungsoo POV

May 3rd that was nine days ago, nine days since I offered Amaya my chocolate croissant. That is also the first and last time I had any kind of interaction with her. Not because I didn't want to or for lack of trying, trust me. I've tried to start a conversation with her on multiple occasions. I've tried waiting for her before class, but she always showed up late, or even after class I try going up to her but she rushes out before I get to her. I know our encounter nine days ago was a bit awkward, but it wasn't all that terrible. Or at least that's what Kai had tried to convince me of after I told him what had happened.

MAY 3RD

K:“Hello.”

She's staring at me in awkward silence, I'm starting to regret my lingering and not scurrying away as soon as I placed the chocolate croissant on the table. I can't bear the silence, so I try to explain my reason for being there. 

K:"Here, you can have this…," I point to the croissant on the table. 

A:"Umm, why?" Is her response.

K:"Uh, I just wanted to apologize for earlier."

K:"I shouldn't have been such an about it, I'm pretty sure you bumping into me was half my fault." 

She's quiet again and just looking at me. I can see the various emotions that she's feeling run across her face. From questioning, confusion, processing, realization, and finally humor. I can see her trying to hold back her laugh, which I really wish she didn't so I could witness her unbelievable smile and dimples up close and personal. I can also feel the tips of my ears starting to turn red as the heat slowly creeps up my neck from embarrassment. Of course she's going to find this funny, some random guy that was a complete to her just offered a chocolate croissant as a peace offering. 

Why am I such a loser, and in front of Amaya!? The sudden feeling of hope I had from earlier has definitely withered down to just embarrassment. I turn away from her trying to hide my growing red face from her, I didn't need her knowing how embarrassed and nervous I actually am. 

I hear the legs of a chair screech against the floor. I turned right back around to see Amaya standing, not looking at me but at the chocolate croissant. She reaches out and slides it across the table back towards me. I instantly panic and place my hand over hers, pushing the chocolate croissant back towards her.

K:"No!, keep it please!"

K:"I know this is weird but I really do feel bad about the way I spoke to you earlier. I immediately regretted it once I realized it was you. I mean it would have been rude if it was anybody else, of course. But….Ugh!"

K:"Sorry I know I'm rambling, basically what I'm saying is I'm sorry for being a to you and when Kai told me you wanted the chocolate croissant I thought it would be a good way of saying sorry." 

A:"Who's Kai?

K:"Huh? Oh he's the cashier."

A:"Oh…. so you went up to him and asked him about me?

K:"Umm yeah, I was curious why you didn't get anything."

A:"Alrighty then ...um could you let go of my hand, I need to get to my next class?"

(And I feel myself turning red again) 

K:"So-sorry." I pull my hand away, and watch her halfway run out of the student union. Looking back down to the table I let out a heavy sigh, she didn’t take the chocolate croissant. 

 

AMAYA POV MAY 3RD

 “Hello.” Is what cue ball says and my brain goes dumb dumb stupid and forgets how to generate words to come out of my mouth, so I just stare into cue balls big round eyes. I keep on looking into his owl like chocolate orbs even though I can feel my on going silence growing, becoming increasingly awkward. That is until I hear him clear his throat, that seems to break me out of the trance that he unintentionally put me in. I can see his lips moving, yet I can’t seem to understand the words that are coming from his lips. I noticed him pointing at the chocolate croissant placed in front of me; with that all that he just said seems to come together and make sense. He’s offering me his chocolate croissant, I can’t help but wonder why in any scenario would this cue ball of a man be offering me his croissant and the last one at that. I ask him why, and he goes on to saying he just wanted to apologize for our not so pleasant encounter from earlier. I can’t help but to find this amusing, I try and suppress my laugh. Which turns to be a much more difficult than expected after I notice his ears turning red. I assume it’s from embarrassment from my laughing at him, and doing a horrible job of hiding it. He turns slightly away from me in attempts to hide his red face. I decided to let him off the hook and accept his apology but there is no way I can take his chocolate croissant from him. No matter how tempted I am of eating it. I stand up pushing my chair back with me causing the legs to screech against the floor. I look down at the chocolate croissant wondering what’s the best way to go about this. I settle for just handing it back to him, hoping he gets the hint. I reach out placing my hand over the croissant pushing it back towards him, it doesn’t even make it halfway across the table before I feel his hand over mine. I guess he got the hint. He’s practically begging me to keep the damn thing. He once again starts to ramble on about the same thing, only this time he mentions a name, Kai. Who’s Kai? The cashier he says, on with how he went up to him asking why I didn’t get anything. How did he know I didn’t get anything, was he watching me the whole time I was trying to place me order? Now it’s me that’s starting to turn red, I don’t know why but I feel embarrassed knowing that he had been paying close attention to me the entire time. Then I realize that he is still holding into my hand, which for some unknown reason makes me anxious. Suddenly I feel short of breath, I need my inhaler! I internally begin to panic not because I’m having difficulty catching my breath, but because I don’t need cue ball knowing that he has literally taken my breath away. I asked if he could let go of my hand, so I could get to my next class, which is a complete lie. Just needed any excuse to get out of there and make a dash to my car to get my inhaler. He finally releases my hand, I don’t even say goodbye before I speed walk out of the student union leaving behind the chocolate croissant. 

 

Kyungsoo POV MAY 13TH 

I’m on my way to the only class that brings me genuine happiness, cooking class. There’s just something about cooking that relaxes me, it’s my happy place. I’m heading in the usual direction that I take to get to my favorite class, only to realize that some event is going on in the middle of the quad. I could just go right through it, but I really don’t want to deal with people trying to get me to come over to their booths. I don’t even think about it, I take a quick left to make way around the quad. Yes it will take me an extra seven minutes but I really don’t care either way I would end up at my destination. Five minutes into my walk I come to a halt, there she is leaning against a tree. She’s wearing blue high waisted denim shorts with a pastel green Hulk shirt tucked in, and her wore down converse. She has one headphone in and the other just dangling down, she scrolling through her phone. I know it’s a stupid thought but at that moment she had never looked more beautiful to me, she was just so simple. I don’t mean it in a bad way, but simple in that she didn’t have to try to look beautiful, her light makeup and casual clothes was good enough, well at least in my eyes it was. After admiring her a good amount of time before it becoming creepy I start making my way over to her, I felt like the stars had finally alined making this moment possible. All my failed attempts at trying to approcher her for the past nine days didn’t matter anymore, because in a matter of seconds I would be with her talking to her. I don’t want to take my eyes off her afraid that she might walk away and disappear, missing my chance to finally talk to her. As I'm walking to her I see her lookup, someone must have called her name out. I feel my eyes growing bigger when I realize who was the one that had shouted out her name, it was Kai. Then I stop walking and see something I never thought I would. Kai and Amaya hugging, which then turned into Kai lifting her up and spinning her in the air, while she giggled with joy. They looked close, when did this even happen? Last thing I knew was that they didn't even know each other, but now they're close enough to hug so intimately. I feel my blood begin to boil, Kai knows how I feel about her. I've told him enough times that I have feelings for this girl, yet there he is in front of me flirting with her. For a moment I get mad at Amaya as well, but that's shortly lived when I realize it's stupid. She's allowed to like whoever she wants, and in all honesty why wouldn't she fall for Kai. I mean just look at him!! I turn my attention to Kai and how hurt I feel for his betrayal, we're best friends. I then remember I still need to get to class, I think about turning back around and going through the quad to get there. Realizing that it would make me late I choose against it, instead I choose to go up to them and confront them. I start my way over to them again, I guess they feel me coming because they both turn to look at me. They both have that look in their eyes that they've been caught doing something they weren't supposed to. I finally reach them, and we all stand there looking at each other not saying anything. So I decided to break the silence first. 

"Hello."