second wave

something unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

warning: inaccurate description of the water.

 

 

――

 

 

 

 

 

You woke up with your phone buzzing on the nightstand, groggily, you took your phone to realize that someone had been calling you. Not bothering to check who was the person who called, you decided answered right away. Voice coming out really hoarse after a good night's sleep. 

 

“Hello?” You croaked, and your eyes shoot open when you heard the breathless chuckle from the other line. Realizing it was Baekhyun. 

 

“Good afternoon, sleeping beauty. How’s your sleep?” He sounded way too cheery early in the morning. You groaned and rolled over your bed, trying to blink away the sleepiness. 

 

“Why are you so loud in the morning?” 

 

“It’s 1pm, sweetheart. You slept like a log.”

 

At the realization of the time, you sit up abruptly. Ignoring the dizziness. “Oh god,” you muttered, ruffling up your hair slightly. 

 

“Yeah, wanna grab lunch.. or breakfast for you?” 

 

“Mm, I am hungry. Let me wash up and I’ll meet you… somewhere?”

 

“I’ll just pick you up, sweetheart. Meet you in thirty minutes.” 

 

Baekhyun hung up right away, not giving you any space to argue. You shake your head, smiling to yourself. Maybe today will be a great day, after all. 

 

 

――

 

 

True to his words, Baekhyun showed up thirty minutes later. You noticed his duffle bag slinging around his body, excuntianting his pecs. He was only wearing a white t-shirt, his watch adorning his left wrist like yesterday. You exchanged greetings with before he leads you to the restaurant you went with him the day before. 

 

“They serve a different menu before three pm, you should really try their brunch.” Baekhyun said as he took a seat, this time next to you. You didn’t question him; enjoying the way his body slightly pressed against yours as both of you go through the menu. He was so close to the point his breathe hit the shell of your ear directly. Yet you didn’t mind. 

 

“Do you have anything to do today?” He asked you once you’ve finished ordering, he was still resting his arm on your chair, but now he had put a respectable distance between both of you. Humming, you shook your head with a purse of your lips to answer his question. 

 

“Nope.” 

 

Baekhyun frowned, his head tilted to the side, “Did you come here without knowing what to do?” 

 

You were stunned at his question, ashamed that he had seen it through you. But he chuckled at that, patting your head as if you were a kid, “It’s fine. Don’t feel embarrassed, I’ll show you around?” He offered.

 

“You don’t have anything to do?” 

 

He smiled at your question, shaking his head. “Not really, I just usually surf and talk to people I am familiar with. How long are you going to be here, if I may ask?” 

 

“A month, or so. I am taking a long holiday.”

 

“Then, you must familiarize yourself with everyone who lived here!” Baekhyun excitedly say. You mirrored his excitement by bobbing your head and lips stretched into a small smile. 

 

Brunch.. or whatever it was went rather smoothly. Baekhyun is talkative enough for your shy personality that there are no awkwardness between you and him. You managed to learn a lot of things about him―mainly his passion for surfing, or the sea in general as he told stories about his visit to multiple different beaches. He also learned that you at swimming, having to drown when you were a kid, yet it doesn’t stop you from loving it as your family always bring you to the nearest beach for family day. 

 

 

――

 

 

“Since we started the day late, should I teach you how to swim?” Baekhyun asked after you were done with eating. Now, the both of you are walking side by side in the beach, your sandals safely placed inside his duffle bag as he insists that the best way to enjoy the beach was to walk barefoot. Walking next to him made you realize that he was taller than you with how your head aligned with his broad shoulders. 

 

You purse your lips, not liking the idea of coming down to the water moreover to swim. Ever so observant, Baekhyun took a notice in your changed behavior. Looping his arm around your shoulder as he led you to one of the places he was able to settle his duffle bag. “I didn’t bring my swimsuit here, though.” You said, lips still pursed. 

 

“Your stay-in is close, you want to get that first?”

 

Contemplating his words, you shake your head―it was already four, you and him did take a long time in the restaurant earlier talking about mindless things. If you were to take your swimsuit, you would waste another thirty minutes and the sun will set in a blink of an eye. He understands that, yet it doesn’t stop him from taking off his t-shirt to reveal his bare skin to you. Baekhyun grinned cheekily at you as he dragged you towards she shore, letting the waves hitting your ankles. 

 

Baekhyun doesn’t bring his surfboard, making you wonder why he was so eager to get inside the water. It doesn’t take long for the answer to come without you questioning him as you watch his face morphs with a very excited expression as he left you to indulge himself with the waves hitting his skin. You froze in your spot, shamelessly staring at how wet he was when he emerged from the water. 

 

Though, what impressed you most was not his physical appearance, but it was how happy he looked in the sea. It gave you a feeling of excitement to see how he let the waves hit him, making your body moving unconsciously towards him. You don’t even notice how you have taken your sandals off as you let the waters hit your legs. Soon enough, you were standing behind him, waist deep inside the water.

 

“I thought you didn’t bring your swimsuit,” he teased you once he realized your presence, smiling widely as if he won a lottery. You shrugged him off, splashing water to his face with a giggle. The shrieked that escaped Baekhyun’s lips managed to make you laugh. He was definitely unhappy at the sudden attack, looping his arms around your waist to drag you further the water.

 

Baekhyun playfully drop you down enough for you to be covered in water from head to toe, you faintly hear his laughter when you surfaced. You don’t have enough time to be annoyed as you realized you are neck deep in the water and it terrified you. Gasping, you circled your arms around his neck for leverage, afraid to drown. 

 

A breathless chuckle left his lips as he steadied you by holding your sides, letting your feet placed on top of his. “I wouldn’t make you drown, sweetheart. It’s okay.” He whispered gently to your ears, holding your body close to him. And you trust him. 

 

“Look at the sun,” Baekhyun whispered, his head turning to where the sun is setting over the horizon. From this distance, the sun seemed very close to you; as if you are able to reach it. You extended your arm, acting as if you are able to reach for the sun. He does the same too, and you giggled at how silly the both of you might have looked in other’s eyes. 

 

“I wished I could see the sunset this upclose in the city.” You said absentmindedly, accompanied with a sigh. Baekhyun’s chest rumbled as he hummed to agree with you. 

 

“Yeah, the tall buildings did injustice to the sun. The sun should sue them for hiding it’s beauty.” Baekhyun joke. It let your mind wanders, was he living in the city too before he resided in this small island? You couldn’t help but to succumb to your curiosity. 

 

“Were you from the city?” 

 

He looked at you for a brief moment before he gave you a smile as he took your hand to guide you back to the shore, only after you both were nearing the sand that he answered, though vaguely. “You can say that.” Baekhyun said. You didn’t let yourself wander more at the thought of where he was from, maybe was not comfortable enough with you to let you know more of his life. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter