YG ENTERTAINMENT CRISIS

Brave Heart

"Lisa, we have been receiving numerous proposals from different brands vying for you to represent them, most of which are international brands. Unfortunately, you're exclusively tied to YG and you're representing most of the company's brands. We had to decline them." Said, Seo Yang Mi, YG's new President to Lisa. She nodded as an answer before looking down her lap, thinking it was such a pity that she wouldn't be able to work with a new brand. She didn't even get to know what those brands were and they were already rejected. Looking at her sullen face, Goo Pyu Gun, the Vice President, who was also in the meeting, spoke.

"I want you to understand that our main focus now is to improve our image and reputation here in Korea." He then looked at the three other girls seated beside Lisa before continuing.

"We have to go back to square one. The company is in an unfortunate situation right now and the general public's image of us is not good looking good. We must tread carefully while still maintaining YG's exclusive image."

President Seo suddenly looked at Lee Byun Hyun, one of Blackpink's managers.

"How are the offers and requests from TV programs going, Manager Lee?"

"We have received drama offers for Jennie and Jisoo that I'm not sure if you'll overlook since some were major roles and have huge productions from what I've heard. There were also staffs from reality TV programs who were persistent in sending requests for Jennie's appearance to their show. Most of which are programs with high viewership. We have also been receiving offers from music shows and collaboration requests for Rosè and emcee offers for Jisoo. As for Lisa..." Manager Lee paused for a while, carefully remembering. Lisa looked at him expectantly, silently hoping he'll mention a dance program or a travel program or any interesting TV show.

"I think I remember an offer or two. We also received requests for group appearances. I'll run-through them with you later." He continued. Lisa was crestfallen. She already knew she always had the least offers from the group but it hurts, non the less, everytime she hears about it. Seeing this, Jisoo squeezed her hand to comfort her. She gave her a smile in return. At least she's got a thing or two going on, she thought. She had to be grateful.

"Good to hear that we have some choices. Speaking of offers, I just received a ridiculous one today. Na PD, who's a really good friend of mine called me to tell me that she's conceptualizing a dating show. She initially wanted Jennie or Jisoo to take part but later on took it back and told me that any of you girls will do." President Seo said, getting the girls' full attention. If anyone of them could participate in it, it would surely be fun experience, they thought. But they surely doubted the president accepting it.

When debuted under YG entertainment, though there were a lot of advantages, there were also disadvantages. They were prohibited to do a lot of things and one of which was dating. Although they love being on stage and performing with passion, sometimes they just wish they were an ordinary person, able to do what they want to do and able to experience what a normal young adult is experiencing, like dating or falling in love.

"It's just silly of her to think that I will allow my artists to participate in such shows." President Seo continued with a snort. In an instant, the girls' hopes were crushed.

"Lisa..." VP Goo suddenly called Lisa's attention. Anxious of what he was about to say, she fidgeted in her seat.

"You have to work hard and keep up with the others' popularity. I'm not talking about your popularity in general or overseas but your popularity here in Korea. It's the only thing that matters now to me and the company." Lisa was taken aback with what she heard. She already knew of her lack of popularity in Korea but to say it to her face was another thing. She nodded her head, feeling smaller than she already is.

"Where are those in charge of public relations when you need them?" President Seo muttered to herself, sighing in frustration.

Looking at Manager Lee again, she said.

"Tell them to come to my office after this meeting." Manager Lee nodded. She then looked back at the four girls before her.

"Anyway, I have observed that your bashers have been increasing and your fans are getting a little bit toxic. With the image the company is in, I don't want fanwars to add fuel to the fire."

Although President Seo didn't point it out, Lisa was the most guilty about it. She probably had the most bashers. She knew of the bashing and the discriminating comments some netizens threw her way because of how she looks and her nationality. It's not like she can do something about. It's how she is. At times those comments would get to her that she would cry herself to sleep but instead of wallowing in self pity, she tries to divert her attention to those who love her. She greatly appreciates her fans for fighting tooth for tooth for her but sometimes some of them tend to go overboard. Some would talk bad about her members and other members of idol groups.

Lowering her head more, she listened to the president as she continued.

"Anyway, you girls can go. I still have to talk to your managers and the PR team. I'll see you when I see you." President Seo then dismissed them.

Seeing the girls completely out of the room, VP Goo spoke to President Seo.

"With all due respect, I know that you were already fixed on your decision to decline the dating program for the girls but I'm hoping that you could hear me out first before totally rejecting the offer."

She raised a brow. He then took it as an indication to continue.

"I think we could use the show to our advantage instead. Romance is something that the general public would always be interested of. It is just a matter of how it is presented to them."

"I don't think you understood fully what I've just said earlier. The company is facing a crisis and instead of giving me profitable projects on my table to increase our depleting revenue, you're talking about accepting a dating program to me?!" She said angrily, totally appalled by his suggestion.

"Hear me out. I only intend to help." He replied, determined to speak his thoughts. She just sighed. Taking it again as an indication to continue, he said.

"There's been a hype for dating shows in the past few years. In fact, they are highly anticipated by the public since it's a feel-good program. Besides, I don't think someone can get a negative publicity in a dating show, not if you can't help it."

"It's only a matter of time before the hype that you are talking about would be gone with the wind. Dating shows have been sprouting here and there with almost the same format. People are going to get bored. I don't even think the viewership of those shows are high." She replied frustratingly, trying to get her point across but he just won't back down.

"Na PD told me that it's a total 360-degree turn from the dating programs known to television. Only famous celebrities are going to participate in the show. It's a huge production to be ignored, Yang Mi. And besides, the director and producer is Na PD. He has never failed to make a program popular and his shows are always of top quality."

"So, he also contacted you." She realized.

"Still, Blackpink is an idol group. I think you're forgetting how fans can be possessive. Don't you think allowing one of the girls to date publicly won't affect them as a group? Also, I was told that the show is going to be aired as soon as an episode is filmed. The probablities are endless. It's a huge risk I'm not taking." She persisted but the he still has a point up for debate.

"94% of the girls' fans are female. I don't think there's much to worry about it. Also, with celebrities added into the mixture and love lines that would develop, it would definitely attract attention. As someone representing the company and Blackpink, she definitely would not be ignored. With proper guidance here and there, she can give off a positive image that would reflect the company as a whole."

"I'm still not convinced. There are possessive fans, not the fans of the girls but the fans of the other celebrities." She replied, realizing some of his points are plausible.

"Well, they have to it in if their idol chooses participate in the program. An early announcement of the participants could be a countermeasure, I guess. At least it would prepare the fans. Also, Na PD is our good friend. I'm sure he'll take good care of us and whoever we send." He said.

"I don't know. A YG artist participating in such shows are just unheard of. Let's not discuss this anymore. Manager Lee, let's run through the other programs first." She said.

---

The meeting with the President Seo had just finished. Manager Lee was about to enter the elevator when he suddenly remembered that he forgot his phone on the table inside the conference room of President Seo's office. He immediately scrambled towards there.

He was about to knock on the door when he suddenly heard her talking to someone. Thinking that it was rude to interrupt, he waited outside the door, unknowingly eavesdropping.


"Na PD, I need to get details on the program you've been convincing my artist to take part earlier.

Yes, a lunch meeting would be great. I need all the information you can give.

Don't keep your hopes up. I'm not saying yes. I'm just keeping the possibilities open. I shall decide when I get to hear everything.

Yes. Yes. See you later."


Manager Lee was taken aback with what he just heard. Although he had a lot of reservations with the idea, he was with VP Goo in this. He thought that the girls would be ecstatic with just the thought of possibly participating on a dating program. Breaking his trance, he then decided to knock and retrieve his phone.

---