Last: "HIS PROMISE"

The Proposal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The warm ray of sunlight hits his face making him wince. He brought his arm up to cover his face from the assaulting sunlight. It feels too warm, maybe he has woken late this morning. Jinyoung could only groan. Tell him why does he keep on forgetting to close the window blinds before going to sleep every night? For the second time, Jinyoung lets out a low grumble.

He turned to his other side away from the window as he rubs his eyes open. When he did, he saw Mark's side of the bed empty. Maybe he has gotten up earlier. Jinyoung thought as he got up from bed himself and scanned the whole room. There's no Mark so he assumed that the older might've gone downstairs already. What time is it, anyway? When Jinyoung checked the clock on his bedside table, he read that it's already 8:15. Maybe Mark was hungry and is already downstairs eating breakfast. He couldn't have expected that the older will wake him up and ask to eat breakfast together. That's too thoughtful of him, and Jinyoung knows Mark is not yet in that category.

Jinyoung went to the bathroom first to gargle and get some sleep dust off his eyes. When he could call his just-woken-up self presentable, he got out of the bathroom and headed outside the bedroom. While marching towards the stairs, he bumped into his younger brother.

"Good morning, hyung." Yugyeom greeted him, as brightly as he always did. "You got up late today. Are you going to eat breakfast?"

Jinyoung nodded. "Yeah, that's why I'm going downstairs."

"Alright." his brother shrugged and then looked behind him with those searching eyes. "But why are you not with Mark hyung? Is he still sleeping?"

Jinyoung shook his head. "No. Isn't he downstairs?" When Yugyeom shook his head, it made Jinyoung crease his forehead. "He's not downstairs?"

"When we ate breakfast earlier, he didn't join us. I thought you both were still sleeping. I wanted to wake you both up so we could all eat together but mom said I should let you both rest longer."

Jinyoung felt his brows as they knitted together. This doesn't make sense. If Mark is not downstairs and is not inside their room, where could the guy be?

"Could he be outside, then?" He thought of asking but in return, Yugyeom again shrugged his shoulders and really looked clueless.

"I don't know. I've just been in the dining room to eat. I was just about to return to my room now."

Although confused, and a bit worried, Jinyoung managed to nod. "Okay. Let me look for him outside. He might be taking an early morning walk."

"Okay, hyung."

 

So that's what he did. For the next fifteen minutes, Jinyoung walked around the mansion's yard and even asked some of the servants if they have seen Mark or if they knew where Mark might have gone. He even walked near the sea side but there was still no sign of Mark. He finds it odd, Mark leaving by himself since he knew the older has no plans on getting lost. Jinyoung refuses to entertain some thoughts which were popping in his mind every minute that passed with him not seeing Mark.

When he has checked almost everywhere around and near the mansion, Jinyoung just decided to head back and maybe call Mark and ask where he might be. But when he reached the mansion, he saw Jaebum talking to his younger brother- Yugyeom.

"Oh! There's hyung." Yugyeom said upon seeing him. "Jaebum hyung is looking for you. By the way, did you find Mark hyung?"

He was just about to answer when Jaebum spoke. "Mark? Didn't he return to Seoul?"

"What?" Jinyoung needed to ask because he did hear Jaebum right, didn't he? He did say Mark returned to Seoul?

Jaebum probably didn't expect his reaction, because now the older has his brows creased. "He called me and said that he went back to Seoul, just this morning. He said he needs to deal with some important matters." He saw as Jaebum's brows creased some more, but a smile drew on his face. "Don't tell me you didn't know this, Jinyoung." It's maybe because Jinyoung failed to answer and is still looking confused and surprised, that's why Jaebum starts to lose his smile. "You didn't know?"

Jinyoung's mind can't process things properly after what he has heard from Jaebum. Mark returned to Seoul? Mark left? Mark left without telling him? Averting his eyes Jaebum's questioning ones and Yugyeom's worried ones, Jinyoung walked to get past them both. "Excuse me."

He heard how Yugyeom called his name in a small voice but Jinyoung didn't turn and just walked straight up to his room. He's confused and he needs answers.

 

When he got inside his room, the first thing he did was look for Mark's things. He opened the closet only to see that Mark's clothes were not in it. When he didn't find his bad under the bed, that only confirmed it for him. He really left. And Jinyoung doesn't know what he should feel after realizing that.

It was a minute after when he finally thought of what he should do. He walked to his study table to look for his phone so he could call Mark and curse at him for leaving without any word. But as he grabbed his phone from the desk, his eyes caught on something. It's a folded piece of paper, where on top of it Jinyoung... is written. For an unknown reason, Jinyoung felt nervous yet, curious as to what the paper contains. It's Mark's handwriting. He could recognize it and that makes him more nervous.

Choosing to answer his curiosity, Jinyoung set his nervousness aside and reached for the folded paper. When he opened it, he saw Mark's handwritten letter for him. With a deep breath, Jinyoung started reading.

 

I was never nice to you, was I? For the whole of those two years you've been working as my assistant, I am positive that you thought of it as a curse. From 0 to 10, I'd bet you hated me at a perfect hundred. That is why I can't seem to understand, why you still treated me nicely and even welcomed me in your kind family? Despite your snarky attitude, you have a big heart. Even though I don't deserve to, you let me see it. You comforted me during those times when I was weak and vulnerable. You aren't supposed to do that to people you hate, idiot. Why did you let me feel how warm it is to have someone beside me, who knows me and still handles me although I am difficult? Why did you let me feel how nice it is to belong to a family like yours? You make me want things I cannot have, Jinyoung. So now I am leaving before I start wanting more.

By the way, I already sent your manuscript to Mr. Smith and he's given good feedback about it. To be honest, I've sent the manuscript even before we flew here to Jeju. I just chose to not tell you because I want us to meet the end of our deal. But now, Mr. Smith said that he'll have your book published. I guess I'll be seeing your name on a novel, then huh? If I had to be honest, the first time I got to read your novel, I already saw you as a very talented writer. You have your own way with words and you can easily touch your readers. I've already realized this upon reading your work but I refused to let you walk closer to your dream because I can't afford to lose such a good and hard working assistant. I've been selfish I know. So to make up for that and as another gift (since I'm being generous), when you report back to work, you will be working under a new boss. That means you won't be dealing with me and s anymore. This is my way of saying that the deal is off. You don't have to marry someone who is rude, who is cold-hearted and who doesn't know how to be nice to anyone. I won't be subjecting you in such kind of a married life. I'm setting you free. You don't need to thank me. Just, live your life and continue on being the good person and great author that you are.

Take care.

 

Mark

 

When he finished reading, Jinyoung is lost for words. Mark did leave. And he ended their agreement. Without even telling him. Why does he suddenly feel his blood rushing to his head?

"Is everything alright, Jinyoung?" When Jinyoung heard this, he turned and saw Jaebum standing by the door.

Jinyoung could see how worry is etched in Jaebum's face while the older gazes at him, but he's starting to hate that hint of pity he sees in those eyes. Standing upright and clearing his throat, Jinyoung answered. "Yeah. Everything is alright." His voice sounded as normal as he planned it to be. He then exhaled. "Mark left, just this morning. Like what you’ve said.”

“Y-yeah. He did tell me that.” Jaebum says, his brows knitting at the center.

“Right. And he bothered to call you and say that while I…” Jinyoung rose his hand to show the paper his holding. “…only get to receive this letter.” He then stared at the letter for another moment before getting back to talking. “He wrote this before leaving, I guess. And I’ve read it but you know what? What he has written here are all bull.”

He could see how Jaebum opened his mouth as if he’s going to say something but decided against it a moment after. Jinyoung gave out laugh but it probably sounded dry. Taking a few steps towards the window, Jinyoung spoke again.

“I have read everything he has written. He said here that he knows that I’ve been hating him since I started working as his assistant, because why not? He’s a huge pain in the . I’ve got all reasons to hate him and he knows all that. Can you believe that he called me an idiot? Just because I comforted him and had my family welcome him warmly. He told me that it isn’t something you do to someone you hate, and that makes me an idiot. But he sent my manuscript to the publisher even before we got to the end our deal. Doesn’t that make him a bigger idiot?”

Facing a confused Jaebum, he showed him the letter again. “I’ve read everything he has written here. But you know what? I haven’t read a sorry from him.” Jinyoung said with a scoff. “His mighty pride just didn’t let him say sorry to me, huh? After all the trouble he has caused? He put me in this tight situation and he has the audacity to leave me and fix this mess all by myself? That night… I almost thought he was really guilty of what he was doing, but now I doubt it. He just left me without even saying anything, without even explaining anything.”

Jinyoung lets out a sigh as he continued. “What am I expecting anyway? He only needed to marry me so he won’t get deported back to L.A. Maybe now he’s alright with it. He even seems to be thrilled by it. He told me that when I get back to work, I’ll be having a new boss, not the same old rude and cold-hearted Mark Tuan. He seems excited. The way he informed me about it, is like it’s good news which I should be happy about.”

“And aren’t you happy about it?” Jaebum asked and as much as he hated it, that question caught him off guard.

But Jinyoung is stubborn enough to not let Jaebum see it. “Of course, I am! Why wouldn’t I be?” For a funny reason, he can’t stand seeing Jaebum’s questioning eyes so he averted his gaze. “He has left. And that means I don’t have to put up with this lie anymore. He has left so that means I am free of our silly agreement. He has left so that means I won’t be subjected to a married life with him. He has left so… s-so…” As he stopped, Jinyoung could only clench his fists, crumpling the paper he’s holding. He could feel his hands shaking and his chest getting heavy. He’s starting to hate how he’s feeling all the more because he doesn’t know what to do about it.

From the side of his eyes, he saw Jaebum slowly approaching him, his hands reaching out to him but Jinyoung backed away before Jaebum could touch his arm.

“Have I told you I hate him?” he asked but didn’t wait for Jaebum to answer. “God I really hate him. He decided on this on his own, without even asking me when we made this agreement together. It’s unfair that it’s only him who gets to decide! He left because I’m making him want things which he can’t have? And what about me, huh? Did he even care about what I want?”

“What do you want?” Jaebum asks softly, making Jinyoung stop from talking. “Is it also something you think you can’t have?”

“I… I… I d-don’t know.” Jinyoung could only say as he drops his head down.

He heard Jaebum clear his throat before he walked towards his bed and sat there. Jaebum then put the box he has been carrying on top of the bed. Looking at him, Jaebum spoke. “There’s another reason why Mark called me earlier.” He watched as Jaebum touched the box with his fingers running along its edges. “He asked me to deliver this to you. He told to hand this box to you so I asked him why he can’t receive the box himself. That’s when he told me he’s back in Seoul already.”

Jinyoung just stood there, watching as Jaebum starts to open the box, talking as he does.

“Last night before I left, Mark approached me and handed me a memory card. He asked me to have the pictures developed. Then this morning, he asked me to give them to you.” When he had taken off the box’s lid, Jaebum looked at him again. “Want to take a look?”

Jinyoung was debating with himself whether he’ll walk up to Jaebum and look at the box’s contents as what the older is asking him to do. Jaebum’s encouraging smile willed him to move and walk closer to where Jaebum is seated. He sat down next to him on the bed and looked inside the box. There are photos. Slowly, his hand reached to take the photos out of the box and look at each one.

He saw a picture of him, no, a silhouette of him standing and facing where the sun was. Jinyoung automatically recalled that this was that time when they went to Inchulbong Peak. He then saw a picture of the bright yellowseed flowers, and then another picture of him trying to get one of the flowers. Then there’s another picture of him, while they were descending the peak. There are also a few more photos which were taken when they were in O’sulloc. Those were all pictures of him while looking around the museum. There are a few more pictures like that and from how it looked, they all seem to be stolen shots.

“I failed to ask him why he wants to give these photos to you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter