Third: "HIS DECISION" (part 1)

The Proposal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's already past 11 when they have descended the Inchulbong Peak. It was the first of their itinerary for the day, as per planned by his fiance Jinyoung. Mark didn't know any of the said plan. He didn't have a slight knowledge as to where Jinyoung was planning to take him to.

"We're only here for four days and we already wasted a nice day yesterday by just staying at home so, I suppose this is a perfect time to go out and for me to tour you around the city." 

This is what Jinyoung said when they were riding the car. Jinyoung will drive, the younger said and instructed the driver to give him the keys. Through out the ride, Jinyoung managed to shut him up from asking questions. Mark quitted on asking since he's not getting any answers. But as soon as he saw those volcanic rocks and the peak surrounded by bright yelowseed flowers, Mark figured Jinyoung really thought well of how this day would go for both of them, especially for him who is new to Jeju.

 

"It's good that we came here during Spring." Jinyoung said while strapping his seatbelt, as Mark was doing the same. "Those flowers never looked prettier than they ever did during Spring."

Mark nodded and gave a bit of a smile before checking his phone. There are some messages from Jackson and Bambam but he decided on replying to them later. "Where are we headed to, next?" 

"Well, aren't you hungry?" Jinyoung asked as he started the car's engine. Mark glanced at his wristwatch again before shrugging.

"An early lunch wouldn't hurt." He just said.

With a short nod, Jinyoung started driving, maneuvering the car from its parking slot. "Seafood sounds nice to you? Because we don't get too much variety of food here."

Mark only nodded. He heard about it, Jeju being one of the best place in South Korea to eat seafood at. He recalled how many times Jackson and Bambam had talked him into planning to go on a vacation here in Jeju. Well now he's having it, only without his friends.

 

After eating at a seafood restaurant, with both their stomachs being full and their tastebuds more than satisfied, Jinyoung drove them off again. "Are you up for some classic kind of date usually seen in romantic films?" This piqued his interest but Jinyoung refused to talk about it much further and just headed south. 

O'sulloc Museum. That's where Jinyoung took him next. Mark knew he heard the museum's name already, only with Jinyoung telling him that it has grown quite popular in the whole of the country. It figures since the museum offers what tourists would like to see and experience- a very warm an relaxing atmosphere. Mark enjoyed walking around the lotus pond in the museum's indoor garden. Jinyoung also led him to the second floor which was an observatory, allowing him to breathe in the views of the green tea fields and the beauty of the surrounding landscape.

"Is this too boring for your liking?" Jinyoung asked as he approached him. Mark was standing near the glass windows, staring at the lotus pond.

Mark just shook his head and turned his head a bit to look at the younger's face. Raising an eyebrow, he asked. "I don't have much time to just rest like this so... I don't think I'll ever complain." Then with a teasing smirk, Mark added. "No matter how boring things might get."

He heard a faint sound of laugh from Jinyoung before the younger breathes in, putting his hands inside the pockets of his pants. Staring at the same direction Jinyoung was staring at, Mark talked. "Is this where you usually take whoever it is you date back in the days?" He saw how Jinyoung tilted his head from his peripheral vision but Mark kept on staring ahead and just shrugged as he continued. "I mean, before you left Jeju and flew to Seoul?"

He didn't hear an immediate answer so that made Mark turn to check on the younger. A second after, Jinyoung also turned to look at him as he scrunched his nose up and pursed his lips. "I didn't go on much dates when I was young."

This response made Mark cross his arms and give Jinyoung a questioning look. "Are you expecting me to believe that you haven't gone on dates?"

But Jinyoung only arched his brow and Mark watched as a lopsided smile drew on those plump lips. "Didn't say that. I only said I haven't gone on much dates. The plurarity of the word is not needed."

"Oh. So you have been in a relationship..." Mark says suggestively, as if he's intending to squeeze some information from the younger who just kept the same facial expression. 

"Tell me why are you so invested on this, Mark?" That came with a laugh as Jinyoung brushed his hair upwards, keeping away those stray hair from covering his eyes. "Does it still matter when it is you who I'll be marrying?"

Mark didn't want to but it's as if his body has it's own mind because he jerked away just when Jinyoung leaned closer, head dipping down almost dangerously close to his face. He thought Jinyoung would move away but the younger kept his distance not more than a feet from him, those brown eyes staring intently at him, like he's studying something very abstract. 

"W-what do you think y-you're doing?" And why the is he stuttering?! 

Jinyoung, however just narrowed his eyes as he slowly brought his right hand up, reaching for the side of his face. Mark instinctively closed his eyes although he finds it stupid because he's well aware that what he should do is push Jinyoung away from him. But his hands aren't moving, aren't they?

He then felt as Jinyoung touched the side of his cheeks, just beneath his left eye and wiped something off of it. "You can make a wish." He heard him say and when he opened his eyes, he saw Jinyoung showing him his thumb where... is that my eyelash? "Go and make a wish. If it sticks in my thumb, it'll come true."

Moving a few inches away and smoothening his shirt, Mark scowled at him. "What a childish thing to do-"

"Just do it. There's no harm in trying." Jinyoung said, cutting his words off and that just made him scowl again. "Come on and make your wish."

Grunting, Mark just closed his eyes from a few seconds and made his wish. Jinyoung counted one to three before showing him his thumb again where the eyelash sticked. "Look at that. You will have your wish." Mark didn't say anything and just pushed Jinyoung's hand away from his face. "What did you ask for?" the younger asked again but Mark only rolled his eyes. "It's none of your business."

 

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

 

It was past three in the afternoon when they reached the seaside. Jinyoung told him that an afternoon walk along the shore would be nice and calming. They will just pass some time before getting on to their last activity for the day. 

While they were walking, as they pass the peaceful neighborhood, Jinyoung was greeted by the residents. And there, Mark saw how Jinyoung really is. He has this kind personality and warm vibe coming from him that he easily transfers to people he interacts with, be it kids or elderly people. The people of Seogwipo clearly loves and adores him. Maybe Jinyoung is made for this- just like what his father is doing, managing their businesses to help other people. It seems like Jinyoung is more than fitted for the job.

But then... "It's one of the reason why hyung didn't like taking dad's position. And besides, his heart is not really in this business." He came to recall Yugyeom's words. And this made him wonder why Jinyoung didn't come to like his life here? Because if he did, he shouldn't have left, right?

Mark then remembered his manuscript... how the protagonist in the story resembles Jinyoung in some aspects. With them both leaving their hometown to seek for something which they have yet to find. Call My Name... as it's title says, the protagonist wants to be called by his name and not by any others'. He wants to find himself so others could find him. Is it also the same with Jinyoung?

His thoughts were disrupted when an elderly man maybe around 60 years old approached them and asked how Jinyoung has been for the past years. Jinyoung did take the courtesy of introducing him as his fiance which surprised the elder saying he didn't expect Jinyoung to get married anytime soon. The younger just laughed it off and on their conversation went.

Mark felt a bit out of place even without either of the two making him feel like it. Tugging on the hem of Jinyoung's shirt, Mark talked in a low voice. "Can I walk around for a bit? I won't stray too far since I also don't want to get lost. I'll just take a look around." Giving a polite nod to the elder- Mr. Jung as Jinyoung had addressed him, Mark asked again. "Can I?"

Jinyoung looked at him with furrowed brows. "Oh. Is that so? Well... let me go with you, then." Just as he was about to turn to the Mr. Jung, Mark tugged on the younger's shirt again making him look at him for the second time. 

Smiling at the elder, Mark talked to Jinyoung. "No, you can stay here. I mean, you should. I am sure you both still has a lot to catch up on. Mr. Jung probably has a lot of questions." He said, gesturing towards the elder while smiling and nodding. "I will give you time. Just, text me when I should be back?" 

There's a nearby bench to where they are standing and it's under the shade of the palm tree. It'll be better if they both sit there while they're talking, Mark thought. When Jinyoung answered him with a nod, Mark just nodded as a response too. "It's nice meeting you, Mr. Jung. I'll go ahead for now." 

The elder reached for his shoulder and tapped the back of his head. "Such a pleasing man. You suit Jinyoung here so well." With that, Mark just smiled not feeling the need to make any verbal response. 

He was about to turn and leave when Jinyoung reached for his wrist. When he turned, those eyes were already staring at him. "Do not stray too far. You said." Jinyoung reminded him but Mark can't help but get distracted by the feel of Jinyoung's thumb rubbing his wrist softly. 

In a voice he never intended to sound that small, Mark answered. "I won't. I'll see you later."

 

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

 

Well what did he expect to see? 

Mark could just sigh as he passed by the last block along the street he just turned to, about ten minutes ago. He might've strayed a bit far but, Mark thought of taking a photo of each corner he turned to and each street he walked on. He could look back at it once Jinyoung texts him. 

With one hand on his pocket and the other holding his phone, Mark looked at the stores situated on each block. There's nothing new. Like what he's asked... what did he even expect? Didn't Jinyoung say that they practically own the whole city (okay not the whole of it, maybe just the majority; and Jinyoung didn't even say that, Mark only assumed upon seeing all the establishments owned by his family)? And now that he's seeing more addition to the list of establishments owned by Jinyoung and his family, Mark could just only groan.

Until now, he can't believe it. That his assistant who worked for him for the past two years is a thousand knotches up above his level. Even his friends were thrown off after he told them about it last night over their group phone call. A man as powerful and wealthy as Jinyoung has been working as an asssistant of a publisher, and living in not near to being an upscale apartment. God, Mark's living in one and he's dead sure Jinyoung could afford to buy the whole building. Why is he even working that hard if he certainly doesn't have to? That's still a mystery to Mark. What made him leave? Okay, Yugyeom mentioned about Jinyoung dreaming of becoming an author. But, can't he reach that dream of his he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter