First: "HIS BRIBE"

The Proposal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

! Jinyoung mutters in his mind when he saw the massive morning traffic he just got into. Glancing on his wristwatch which reads 7:43, Jinyoung hissed and hit his palm on his knees. He knows he's got a little time left for him to get to the office or else he'll be screwed. Just imagining those scrutinizing eyes casting on him makes Jinyoung shiver. Surely he doesn't want his Monday to start this badly.

In his mind, Jinyoung tries to estimate the time he'll spend if he walks the rest of his way to the office. Then he tried to compare the time it'll take the cab he's in to ease its way out of the traffic. Realizing that he might as well take the risk by just walking, Jinyoung handed the fare to the driver and took his satchel bag with him as he got off the cab. Nothing like an undesired walk to start his morning.

Walking briskly, almost running, Jinyoung managed to get to GT7 Building. Before getting inside, he first went to the small cafe, which was just located at the building's ground floor. When he got inside, he was glad to see that there weren't any customers standing in line so it was easy for him to get to the counter and order. 

"Two vanilla lattes, please." It only took a minute for the coffees to be served and Jinyoung thanked the female barista.

Quicker than before, Jinyoung dashed to get to the elevator and punched in 10. It's where the office of Jones&Smith's Publishing is located at.

Jinyoung has been working in the said publishing company for almost two years now. Since he graduated with a degree in professional writing, Jinyoung figured this is where he should start, if he wants to push through his dream of becoming a renowned writer. For two years, he has worked as an assistant of the company's publisher. Jinyoung is satisfied to earn a decent salary which helps him afford to pay the rent in his shared apartment with his bestfriend and of course provide himself with his needs and sometimes, wants. Jinyoung is fine with his work and everything else... except the person he's working for.

And that same person is the reason why Jinyoung is almost scramming out of the elevator, almost running along the hallways, just to make it in time inside the office, before he arrives. And as soon as Jinyoung placed the cup of coffee on the wooden table, the door opens, revealing the twenty-eight year publisher, dressed in his usual attire- a two piece black suit matched with his black tie. 

Straightening his posture, Jinyoung bowed to greet his boss. "Good morning, sir." 

The older nodded his head at him briefly not even greeting back. "I can smell coffee. Where's mine?" 

Gesturing towards the table, Jinyoung answered. "It's over here, sir." When the older passed by him, only then did Jinyoung blew out a silent sigh.

Mark Tuan. The man who wants nothing less than perfection. He is the publisher and the company has a lot to thank the older for. Mark Tuan is one of the primary reasons why Jones&Smith is at the top of its game being one of the leading publishing company in Seoul, despite of it being an american-based company. Well for one, Mark came from America too, Los Angeles, California to be specific. Despite of this fact, the publisher had more good times than difficult ones in handling his job. Jinyoung admires him for that. But maybe, being on the top spot of the hierarchy demands too much that Mark tends to become a bit insensitive towards his surroundings and the people around him. Mark certainly isn't liked by many, not even his employees. But Jinyoung, well let him just say that he's stucked with the guy. 

"What's my schedule for today?" 

Jinyoung heard him ask which made him walk to his table and look at his desktop. He opened his memo and started to read the day's schedule. Mark was drinking his coffee as Jinyoung was talking about the morning's appointment when the older suddenly spoke. 

"Who is Jisoo and why is she asking me to call her?"

Jinyoung was confused at first but when Mark showed him the cup of coffee where a phone number is scribbled, along with the name Jisoo and a kiss emoji drawn beside it, he felt his cheeks redden. Why did he make such a mistake? Walking towards Mark, he held out the other cup of coffee he has.

"I mistakenly swapped our coffees, sir. That one's mine, I think." Mark just stared at him though so Jinyoung talked again. "I haven't drank on this yet, I swear."

With a shrug, Mark took his coffee and gave him the other cup. "Didn't take you as someone who flirts."

Jinyoung felt the need to correct that and say he doesn't flirt and the girl Jisoo is just some random girl probably crushing on him but, why would I even bother? Jinyoung thought before letting go and getting back to discussing about the older's schedule.

 

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

 

"Oh, you bought doughnuts!"  His bestfriend- Youngjae said upon opening their apartment's door for him. 

It was quarter to 6 in the evening when he got home. Jinyoung wants nothing but to have a long shower and lay on his bed and sleep for the next nine hours. It's just a usual day at work and a usual day at work means a lot of stress to Jinyoung. And he's got to say that his stress is mainly caused by is ill-tempered boss. 

Walking to the living room, Jinyoung takes off his shoes and put the box of doughnuts on top of the small table they had by the couch. "These are left overs from the staff meeting. Mr. Tuan insisted for me to take these home."

Youngjae who is in his shirt and sweatpants just went to check on the box's contents. "That boss of yours is not as bad as you always tell me, then."

All Jinyoung did was reply with scoff before plopping himself on the couch. He's dead tired. "You know, I would argue with you on that and insist that he's a spawn of Satan if not Satan himself..." He then put his feet on top of the table and loosen his tie, resting his head back. "...but I'm drained right now. So I'll let you believe what you want to believe right now. I know better."

Though he has his eyes closed, Jinyoung still heard Yoingjae's laughter as the younger seemed to walk towards the kitchen. "If you really hate working for him this much, why are you still keeping your job? You could always go back home, hyung."

Jinyoung made no response to that and kept his eyes closed until he heard the sound of the oil sizzling and then Youngjae's voice calling him out again. "I'm cooking dinner."

 

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

 

"WHAT?!" The publisher's roaring voice echoed inside the office just as Jinyoung entered.

Holding the stacks of folders, Mark has ordered him to fetch from the proofreading department, Jinyoung silently made his way towards his table. The older was facing the glass walls, one hand on his phone and one hand on his waist. Jinyoung can't see his face but he could already imagine how red and stern it could be judging from his angry tone earlier.

While he was stacking up the folders, his ears functioned too and listened discretely on the conversation Mark is having over the phone. 

"There should have been a mistake here." Mark kept on talking to whoever it is on the phone with him and Jinyoung decided not to listen anymore and just get on with his work. Until he heard a sharp hiss and then he watched as Mark threw his phone on the couch. "!" It almost made him jump but Jinyoung tried to pretend to be not minding.

Just then, the office's phone rang. Jinyoung answered it. "Hello, good morning. Mark Tuan's office."

"Tell Mr. Tuan that I need to see him in my office now." Jinyoung didn't need any second telling. The person who just called is the owner of the company- James Louisford Smith. "Yes, sir." He just said, before the call was dropped.

"Sir?" He called to get the publisher's attention. Mark still looks a lot like troubled and pissed but still managed to turn to him and ask, "What?" Clearing his throat, Jinyoung continued. "Mr. Smith wants to see you in his office right now."

He watched as the older re-adjusted his tie, with his face crumpling in annoyance. "How could I be in this deep ?" Mark asked, but it's like more to himself. Then Mark got his coat and wore it, picked his phone up from the couch before stopping in front of his desk. "You're coming with me."

 

Mark hasn't said one word since they have left the office of Mr. Smith. Jinyoung was silent too, not knowing what he could and what he should say in a time like this. 

"You could be sent back to California. And you would be, Mark. If you don't fix this. But how would you? There's not much time left before your work visa expires. How could you forget such important things? I never thought you'd be this irresponsible."

Mr. Smith's words stayed in his head, as he watched Mark's back as they walk towards his office. Mark would get deported back to his hometown- in Los Angeles California. Now is not the right time for that, definitely. Not when the company is on its peak. What would it become if it loses its best publisher? He understands where Mr. Smith's frustrations are all coming from. And Jinyoung could see that Mark is frustrated, let alone very disappointed of himself, too.

While they were walking, Jinyoung starts to feel bad. Yes, the older might have been the hardest to work with and sure, his life at work would be much more easier and simpler if he'll be working for a new boss. But still, thinking about how all of Mark's hard earned work might vanish the instant he gets sent back to California... Jinyoung can't help but feel bad for the guy.

As they entered the office, Jinyoung was contemplating on how to comfort the older. Maybe he could help him arrange some files and documents for the renewal of his work visa? Surely there's still a way. But as soon as he closed the door, and before he could even say something, Mark already turned to him and those eyes were glaring at him.

"This is all your fault." My fault? He thought to himself. "As my assistant, isn't it your job to remind me of these things? The embassy said that they sent me a le

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter