Odetober Day 4 : Angel/Jeonghan

Somniphobia and other painful self indulgences

 

Angel : Jeonghan

A new Drabble which I’ve been working

 

 

 

Seungcheol stumbled out of the bar and rubbed his nose. His eyes didn’t want to adjust to the streetlights glare and he wandered along the uneven footpath toward home.

 

“,” he mumbled to himself as he tried to light a cigarette in his enibriated state. He leaned against a tree and tried again and again, the spark finally flaring against the tobacco, smoke filling his nose and lungs.

 

The angel rolled his eyes as he watched on from the branches high aloft over the man’s head. He wished he hadn’t let curiosity get the better of him but it was too late now. This one was trouble but he was absolutely enamoured with the dark energy surrounding him. This one was trying to come home, too soon, and before his time. His aura was despondent and grey as ink as it surrounded him with abject sadness.

 

He moved between the treetops as the man walked the earth below. The angel followed him along a busy street and had to hit the earth when the man turned toward a lofty bridge. His wings, white and gold, his pride and joy folded and concealed beneath a soft leather jacket.

 

He followed from a distance as he realised they were walking out onto a rail bridge high over water. The wind whipped cold around the angel, sending his hair into a flurry, the angel trying to gather it away from his face. He watched the man, sniffling softly, climb over the rail and lean out dangerously, his hands barely clinging to the rail.

 

This wasn’t the angels area of expertise. But he couldn’t let him come home. It wasn’t his time. He approached the man slowly and cautiously as his boots crunched the gravel below.

 

“What do you want?” The man asked and the angel turned his palms up in deference. “Got a light?” He asked and when the man looked up at him he beamed a gentle smile as he stared into his wretched eyes. They were empty, as if they were dead already, dark circles below them visible even in the darkness.

 

The angel watched the man slowly move back behind the rail and dig in his pockets for the lighter. “Want to sit?” The angel asked and the man nodded. He did want to sit. He was so very tired.

 

 

 

Seungcheol woke up the next morning with a pounding headache and a lingering dream; of an ethereal being with long light hair smiling at him with an empathy he’d never felt before. He wished it wasn’t just a dream, he wanted desperately for it to be real, because for the first time in a long time he might actually have something to live for.

 

 

“Jeonghan,” the angel said sternly from his place on the throne, “you shouldn’t have let him see you.” “I couldn’t help it,” the beautiful long haired creature whined as he grovelled coyly to the prince of angels. “He’s just so sad Prince Jisoo.... he’s really trying to come too early.” “I know,” the prince said as he smiled down at his most beautiful but troublesome brother. “And the damage has already been done. He’s seen you and you must accept your punishment.”

 

The angel called Jeonghan stayed on the marble floor in an overly false display of deference to his younger brother. He waited to hear his penance and hoped it wouldn’t be too harsh.

 

“Guard him,” Jisoo said. “Go to him and keep him safe until he begins to heal. Stop him from trying to come home before his time.”

 

Jeonghan cursed silently as he arose and nodded. A fitting punishment and one not to be taken lightly. He was a guardian now and he would fulfil his duty and make sure the miserable man was kept from a death premature.