Day 2

Days: 1247

Day 2

 

 

By the time his consciousness returned after being knocked out for almost a day, the first thing that came to mind was the registration of the physical pain. The ropes bounding his wrists and ankles have almost buried itself into the skin now scraped, etching hurtful marks that reminds him of the earlier events.

‘Cutting the jugular and the carotid arteries would drain the blood faster, removing the eyes and preserving them would be good for display, the bodies should be mummified immediately before they become useless pile of corpse’; he remembers it faintly, but it’s just as impactful as ever. 

Will alone is not enough to make one strong enough to fight back. If you’re weak, you’re weak, and trying to stand up against those who could easily snap you into two just like breaking a twig is a form of suicide for an idiot.

His false courage, as he may call it, felt nothing but a useless lump of hope after realizing that a simple push on his lithe physique could already press him to the wall without much effort. Despite of being swift to dodge the first punch, it was all in vain. He wanted to live, but the pain of having a few broken ribs, most likely fractured arms which received most of the blow, and the cuts and bruises now painted all over him made him want a quick death more than anything. The thought might be fleeting, but it was there, and it only increased in intensity after hearing the next words, right before his older sister’s neck was ripped in front of his face, crimson red filling his sight.

His only sister to whom he was brought to after his real parents decided to leave him to die, was now nothing but a mere container of soul and is left to die.

 “You will be my muse, and my partner, and when I call out to you, you’ll come and accept me and there will be no other option. Whatever you’ll become, wherever you’ll stay, you…are…mine.”

Before the last part replayed in his dream, he woke up and immediately sat straight, head spinning from the sudden movement.

Even until now, years after that incident that changed his life path, he’s still irritated to the concept of ownership and hates anyone strongly affiliated with the word ‘mine’. Yet the only time that he doesn’t experience such a nightmare was through spending time with someone, anyone that could hold him and give him the sense of security that he needs.

It’s an irony that he deeply hates, but can’t escape from.

“Won’t you stay for breakfast? We had a long night, didn’t we? It’s Friday anyways.”

“Are you kidding me? We have made it clear, didn’t we?”

The memories of last night, of answering someone’s call instead of actually reaching his house, decision moved due to the fact that he hates experiencing his night terrors all alone.

“I know you’re smart but don’t use it against poor me. You know I’ll never try to win over you.”

“Then stop winning me over. A play’s a play, and I’m not interested into turning it into reality. Now shut up and let me fix myself.”

“If you are not so much of an , I would have tried asking you out already.”

“Try to make a full-course meal, then we’ll talk.”

“I can’t even cook a fried egg without burning it, you’re really an .”

Instead of answering in return, the black-haired guy just smirked and shown the finger towards the guy who is still in bed and is clearly holding his own laughter from erupting. As he lost sight of him into the shower, he ended up messing his hair in frustration and fell back while groaning lightly. He knows they enjoy this little game of theirs, spending time together when the two are not tied to anyone else, but as he became more aware of his presence, it became harder to hold his self back and avoid going into fits of jealousy.

But there’s nothing to hold on to, and literally, nothing ever happens between them, as what others might usually expect to. It might be seen as weird by many, but it’s not the typical physical relationship that many might think it is.

As he remembered his schedule for the day, he quickly pranced towards the bathroom, uncaring about his own or the other’s at the moment. As if it’s nothing to them at all.

“Hannie, I won’t be able to meet you later, would that be fine?”

“It’s fine Jisoo, I think I’ll manage tonight.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes I am.”

“Are you really, really sure?”

“Oh for ’s sake just let me finish in peace here!”

“Fine, I’ll come out now prince. You brat.”

“You’re the one who’s spoilt.”

It’s not a simple connection between two men, and not just built by exchanges of ual gestures, it’s not even ual at all. For now, it’s enough that it’s created through two individuals who understand each other.

--

“Why are you not even in a hurry?”

“Oh, Yongsun. I have left an activity to them already, and what I need to do now is give them time to do their work while I hover around those kids and guide them like a nice teacher I am.”

“Nice teacher my . You’re smart but I don’t understand why you use that in things like these. Why don’t you apply as Prof Heechul’s assistant in his research, then you could totally say goodbye to meeting those you call kids for hours? And where’s Seungkwan by the way? He lost our bet and he didn’t pay me yet.”

“You could try applying instead of me. I’d rather talk to those youngsters than be locked in the lab for hours until I can’t differentiate night and day anymore. And Kwannie’s on leave today, in preparation of bringing his boyfriend to meet the parents.”

“Wooh, he’s fast. Anyways, no thanks, I’d rather try lengthening my patience inside the classroom, thank you. You’ve got a point you know. Every assistant that was hired ended up quitting in less than a week. Only that milkman have stayed.”

“Milkman?”

“Right, you have only been teaching here in less than one semester, of course you haven’t met him yet. Wait, I probably haven’t deleted a picture of the departmental party last year.”

“Last year? Really?”

“You might be new here but we know each other for more than a year already so I don’t need to explain myself anymore. Just wait there while I search for that pic.”

“I know you really want to share that to me but… isn’t your class supposed to start ten minutes ago? It’s-”

“Oh crap, wait for me at lunch ok?! Bye!”

“Hey stop shouting and running in the corridor Ms. Kim!”

“Good morning boss! Just forget this okay?! Thanks for understanding!”

The older guy ended up sighing loudly and shaking his head to himself, clearly not amused by the action of the younger one. Noticing his distress, Jeonghan, who have stood still and watched the whole exchange greeted him calmly after a small bow in show of his deep respect towards the university’s president.

“Good morning, Sir. You’re quite early than usual.”

“And you’re late I see.”

“The students have an activity to do, so I hope you understand my time of arrival.”

“Just go to your class and work hard. The teachers these days are lazier than back in my time. I don’t know what to do with your lot anymore.”

He kept on smiling and after seeing the older one walk around the corner, without anyone to face, he ended up with a blank look on his face and breathed deeply, proceeding to his assigned room, hoping for another normal and quiet day.

“It’ll be fine. It should be fine.”

--

“Hey, how’s that cell?”

“How about you try getting a slide and help me in answering the lab manual. You won’t need to ask me then, right Chan?”

“Being grumpy in the morning, you should minimize that or all that frown lines would stay on your face for good. After all, are there even others who are late and most likely absent today? Be thankful that your lab partner is actually present.”

“Why is it only the lab assistant that’s here until now? I’ll make sure that Mr. Yppn knows of-”

“Ooh, I’m scared, what will he do, fail me? As if he can. My dad’s the-”

“Lead contributor in this department. That I know, little Lee. Now, would you mind doing your work? Or you’ll lose some points and maybe, take this subject again next year. I’m sure Lee senior would be interested in hearing about your behavior inside the class.”

He almost lose his composure seeing the arrival of their instructor, but managed to keep his cool and still act as rude as ever.

“Tsk, whatever, fine, I’ll help this nerd.”

With one wide smile, he turned his back and proceeded to place his bag beside his desk but he stopped on his tracks after the next words that left the student’s mouth.

“As if my family’s money is not the source of your income.”

Striding towards their table again, he pulled him by the collar and talked with a sharp gaze, not minding the sight shown to the other students. Without being flustered by the proximity of the distance between them, he even pulled him closer, making him stand up, while in shock, eyes wide cheeks flushed.

“I don’t care if you’re a prince inside your mansion. I don’t care if the payment I receive is from your parent’s pockets. What I care about is the fact that I was hired to facilitate your learning, and that means you’ll only be able to learn if you actually try to, and if you don’t start trying now, I don’t mind failing you but I assure you, I’ll still get that income while you end up doing this laboratory work all over again just because you’re being a pampered rich kid that you are. What do you think, kid?”

Nodding strongly, he felt like his knees have turned into jelly after Jeonghan loosened his hold on him, warmness and enthusiasm on his face again. After looking around, he noticed the mixed emotions on his students’ face- fear, admiration, indifference, with these three emotions taking over most of them.

“Everyone, please proceed with your works, I’ll be observing your outputs in a while. Oh, and please tell your classmates who are absent to send me a report on the reason behind their absence or I won’t excuse them from my special outputs.”

--

“Hey Han, is it just me or that walking wallet is intently watching us eat?”

“You’re probably not wrong. I did some stunt earlier after all.”

Without even looking at the direction of the said student, he kept on checking for new emails and eating chicken pie at the same time. Another drama at lunch time would upset his stomach, so it felt better to act like nothing happened, like he just didn’t try scaring him during their laboratory class. Another encounter would not bring him any good after all; just a simple addition to his list of irritations.

“What did you say? What stunt is that?”

“For your good health and good day, it’s better not to know.”

“Now you’re just picking on my curiosity. Spill it out, now.”

“His tongue pissed me off, I showed a little authority. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less.”

“Aaw, you cute cat. Thanks though, that brat and his musclemen groupies are making my class less bearable. Maybe now that they’re seeing how close we are, they’ll stop testing my patience too.”

“Tough luck my friend, but haven’t you heard about how you look?”

“Hmm, pretty?”

“No, you look like someone that’s easy to bully.”

“Now you’re just being mean. I should start looking scary as well, shouldn’t I?”

“Nah, you don’t need to.”

“But you just said I look weak.”

“And that’s your charm. You don’t need to look like another person just to please them. If you do your work properly, isn’t that enough? No matter how much we try, there will be those who just hate our existence.”

Silence.

“What is it now”

“Sometimes, I forget that I’m older than you.”

“Just eat your lunch Yongsun. That’s just hunger talking.”

--

“Earth to Lee Chan.”

“Uh, what?”

“We know about what that witch did to you at class. What come back are you thinking of?

“None, I mean, don’t mind it.”

“He humiliated you. In front of the whole class. Even if about half of your classmates were absent today, that’s enough to affect your reputation in the whole school.”

“That’s enough. None of you should do anything.”

“But Ch-”

“What’s hard to understand in what I just said!?”

Every attention is now turned to his outburst, but the one who has taken most of his attention simply glanced without any interest and returned to his phone at hand. It was enough to affect him, and he ended up storming away, ears red in embarrassment for wanting more of his gaze.

“What the hell is wrong with you Chan?”

--

“What are you standing there for? Come here.”

Gulping down his nervousness, he slowly approached the vacant seat beside her, eyes locked on his. He’s wearing pajamas that made him look younger than he is, and he tried hiding his face in embarrassment, but he held his hands on his own and moved closer while fixing his hair.

“What are you trying to hide for?”

“Aren’t you angry with me?”

“Why would I be? I don’t need the other students in my class. I just need you to be there. So don’t try to move away from me.”

“What…what are you doing?”

Instead of answering in return, the other just smirked and caressed his thigh, while leaning closer to his ears and blowing slowly.

“I want to humiliate you so much, like I could do nothing but make you be submissive.”

He felt shiver run down his spine, with those words affecting him so much unlike any other experience he had before. Without warning, he blindfolded him then moved into a straddling position.

“Why… why are you doing this?”

“Why, aren’t you going to be my slave? You don’t have any rights in asking me.”

He felt the same hands still caressing his hair and face, and by the time he felt those soft blows of air on his ears again, he ended up trembling with anticipation, and he tried reaching out until he heard a crashing sound and felt a pain on his side.

The loud sound and pain was from him falling off his bed, and after massaging the bruise for a while, he remembered scenes from his dream, and realized that he’s attracted that much to the person he believes he hates as much as the other hates him. After realizing he can’t will it away, he ended up whispering his name while waiting for release.

He just can’t believe it at all.

--

It has been only for a night, but his room ended up being such a mess, while he’s sitting on his bathroom floor, shivering from being under the shower that has been since the night before. Seeing himself in this state, he can’t help but be aware of his growing fear towards his own existence. Without any warning, he felt another wave of emotions, of anger and deep sadness, while random memories of those pains rush through his brain and through his physique as if he’s the one experiencing it all over again, flashing through his eyes like hundreds of pictures simultaneously shown.

He had always wanted to kill his self, using everything near him to just make it stop, for all of it to end, but he always survive it.

As if lady luck is enjoying watching him suffering.

His thoughts were suddenly cut off by the familiar voice that had always helped him.

“Jeonghan! Why didn’t you just call me?!”

“It’s not like I’m dying. I’m still alive and well, see?”

“You’re alive but you’re far from well! You need to change your clothes, right now. I’ll prepare you some soup.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be back in your cousin’s bachelor’s party? What the hell did you come here for?”

“It’s ‘cause I had my doubts and obviously, my senses are still working since my gut feeling was right about this happening. Let’s bicker later after you become far from catching cold.”

He tried to stand, yet his legs ended up failing him, falling to the floor once again which made him be a little more sober. His eyes went towards Jisoo’s arms now though that he’s more clearheaded, and noticed the red stain on both sides.

“What happened to you?”

“Don’t mind that, some guest end up being more drunk than little and start hitting others before smacking a wine glass on his head.”

“And here I thought I was the only one having a crazy night.”

“Start worrying over yourself first.”

“I’m fine now okay, it’s just a typical fit of mine.”

“You-”

Their conversation was broken by the sound of Jeonghan’s phone ringing, signifying an incoming call. Seeing the name on his phone’s screen, he breathed for a while to remove the tremble on his voice, then answering him with the same energy as when they usually talk.

“What’s up Kwannie? Are you two preparing for your marriage already?”

A crackle, another sound of metal clanging, before he heard an unfamiliar voice.

“I…I’m still alive so, please… please do come here and help me. I know you don’t have any responsibility with me… hell, you don’t even know me. But you’re the only person who answered and I could talk to at the moment, please do help me.”

The person on the other line almost ended the call, but after hearing the genuineness in her voice, he decided to believe the stranger at the moment. He doesn’t want to think of the worst scenario, but being able to talk to a stranger using his best friend’s phone number, his heart was momentarily wrenched.

“How did you manage to use this number?”

“I was rummaging from the wreckage, and this is the first phone I saw that didn’t have any much damage and without password, and your number’s the first in the speed dial so-”

“How about the guy who owns this number?”

“…there are other survivors right here with me, but,..”

Looking at her surroundings, it’s mostly cement and gravel filled her sight. She doesn’t want to imagine right now all the tragedy movies she just watched, but hearing the moans of pain and loud cries from the other survivors doesn’t help in calming her nerves.

“What happened to Seungkwan?!”

 

 

 

From: 12_22_21- I'm not following their current hairstyles, and will be attaching pics soon for better visualization, anyways, lovelots.

 

To: Dear patient readers