Chapter 9

The way you fall


Mina was waiting for Tzuyu to let go of her. It wasn't that she was uncomfortable. She just felt like she didn't deserve hugs yet. Tzuyu finally pulled away and looked over Mina. She noticed the red, tired eyes and apologetic expression. 
"Mina-unnie, where have you been? We were losing our minds." Tzuyu's tone got from soft to serious very fast and a frown formed on her face. Mina wasn't sure what to say. She was biting her lower lip and was thinking of the perfect response so that she wouldn't anger Tzuyu.
"I am sorry. I was at my parents' house." Mina didn't want to lie anymore. Tzuyu didn't look content with such an answer though.
"That's all? You just left like that one day and didn't contact us at all. We were sitting here every day trying to figure out how to reach you." Tzuyu didn't sound angry. She sounded upset. She was looking at Mina with big eyes and tears were forming in them. Mina felt awful.
"Tzuyu, let's go inside. I will explain everything there." Tzuyu took a deep breath and entered the house and headed straight for the living room. She waited for Mina to join her trying to keep her emotions in check. She was so happy and glad that Mina came back but she was still upset a little bit. 
"I think we should get the rest as well." Mina's voice was quieter than usual and Tzuyu figured out that it was her fault. She didn't want to make Mina feel scared. She agreed and went upstairs to get the other two. It was a tricky mission. Chaeyoung slept like dead and Jihyo got grumpy whenever someone woke her up earlier than they should. She decided to wake Chaeyoung first so that she would have a shield from an angry Jihyo. It wasn't easy but a smack to Chaeyoung's thigh woke her up in a second.
"What the ?!" Chaeyoung got up and was ready to square up with Tzuyu but she got ignored. Tzuyu left the room and Chaeyoung decided to follow. She was led to Jihyo's room and fear washed over her. She grabbed Tzuyu's arm and turned her to face her.
"Do you want to die?" Tzuyu rolled her eyes and gestured downstairs. Chaeyoung glanced that way and raised her eyebrow.
"Go downstairs." Chaeyoung let go of Tzuyu's arm but didn't go down. She didn't want to go alone. For some reason, she felt uneasy. Tzuyu shook her head and entered Jihyo's room with Chaeyoung trailing her. She moved closer and shook Jihyo's body.
"Jihyo-unnie, get up." Jihyo groaned loudly and shot a glare to both girls. 
"Why are you waking me up at 1 a.m.? Get out, I need sleep." Tzuyu held her back and didn't let Jihyo's head hit the pillow. Jihyo took a deep breath and got up forcefully. "It better be something important or so help me." She left the room and waited in the hallway. Tzuyu led them downstairs and they couldn't believe their eyes. Mina was standing in the middle of the living room and played with the hem of her shirt.
Chaeyoung was shocked but she was overjoyed to see Mina came back. Jihyo, on the other hand, couldn't decide if she wanted to hug Mina or knock her over the head.
"Mina-unnie." Mina looked in their direction and sent them an awkward smile. She waved a little and tried to think of the best way to begin the explanation.
"Hey. I drove here as soon as I was ready. I wanted to explain everything and to apologize. May I?" The other three looked to each other and all nodded in the end. They sat on the sofa and Mina took a deep breath before starting.
"First of all, I am so sorry. I regret everything. I am honest. When I was a child I was only comfortable with my mom. I didn't speak a word to anyone else. Even other members of my family. But they understood it and after a few years, I was talking with everyone comfortably. The thing is that not everyone was fine with it. My father was very busy then and was considered a guest in our house. He was a stranger to me back then. It hurt him, very much. So, he decided to keep me with him, to control me, to make me feel like I only have him. To not go into detail from all those years, he abused me basically. My life was miserable and I felt like I am useless. I was scared of him so I did everything he wanted me to do. That's why I left. I have disobeyed him and he found out. I was scared that he could hurt you all. I thought you will be better off without me. But after the confrontation with Sana, I felt like I reached the bottom and I got angry. That when I got the strength to fight back." Mina paused and waited for any reaction. She wanted to make the explanation brief but still get the main point in it. 
"Why didn't you tell us anything? This is serious Mina." Jihyo wasn't angry with Mina. She was angry with her father whom she met on several occasions. He was always kind. And to think he was abusing Mina the whole time made Jihyo feel like she wanted to hurt him.
"I was scared. He always told me not to tell mom. Because it would hurt her. I thought that it would concern you all as well. I just really felt like I should have dealt with it myself but I was just too weak to do it. Which made me feel worse." The rest wasn't sure what to say. Their whole view on Mina changed in those days. And with that information, they didn't know if they should go to the police or leave it. The last option didn't seem right to them though.
"So, Sana helped you?" Chaeyoung wanted to change the atmosphere a little. It was too suffocating and she figured mentioning this was a good idea.
"Kind of. I was rude towards her and it made me realize that it shouldn't be that way. I lost it. I had enough. I thought that my father would understand his wrongdoings and he did. We decided to work on our relationship. But then he realized something and I guess it ends here." The three didn't like that Mina wanted to forgive her father so easily but it was very Mina like. She had the biggest heart and forgave everyone. That was why they would look dumb if they didn't forgive Mina. Especially, that it wasn't entirely her fault. 
"What was that he had realized?" Tzuyu's question seemed to make Mina uncomfortable. She was hesitating to answer. And it worried the three girls. Tzuyu was ready to take it back albeit Mina finally took another deep breath and replied.
"That I have feelings for Sana." Her answer was soft but sure. It also caught her friends off guard. It wasn't even the fact that Mina was into girls, though they have never known that but the fact it was Sana in particular. 
"You are gay?" Chaeyoung was definitely the master of destroying the mood. Jihyo massaged her temples and Tzuyu smacked her face so hard everyone heard it. "What? You guys knew? What didn't I know?" Mina actually giggled. Which made the rest content.
"I am. I just never said because I was scared of my parents finding out. It kinda transferred for everyone." They understood the reasoning behind it. It was now evident that Mina feared many things and they hoped that from then it would change.
"Then I can't believe you didn't fall for me." Chaeyoung got knocked over the head by Jihyo and immediately stopped talking. Tzuyu snickered at the pain that Chaeyoung felt. 
"We understand that it was hard for you. I am glad you have told us everything. But-" Mina held her breath. She was ready for any type of punishment. "How did you fall for Sana? Like, you never talked about her and you are definitely not the type to fall for the looks, so?" Mina wasn't sure if she should feel relieved. That wasn't something she was prepared to talk about. 
"I think it were the lame jokes." Tzuyu was deadly serious but they all knew she wasn't. They all laughed and Mina whined a little. "But then she would also fall for Chaeyoung. I guess it's not it then." Chaeyoung punched Tzuyu on the arm and shot her a glare. But Tzuyu only laughed.
"Sana is just an incredible person." And that's how the girls started to talk about Mina's feelings for the rest of the night. Jihyo, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu forgave Mina without any trouble. They could tell Mina was sorry and it was all difficult for her. They understood that there was a reason for such behavior. They asked a little more about Mina's life and what was happening in her house. Mina told them about the moments that weren't too hurtful and some of the ones that broke her. She was comforted by her friends. But as it was nearing 4 a.m. Jihyo ordered them to go to bed. The girls obeyed her without any whining. They knew that Mina would be still there when they wake up so they can sleep well. Mina, on the other hand, stayed back. Jihyo noticed the hesitation and waited for her.
"Mina, you can go to your room." Mina lowered her head and Jihyo felt a sting in her heart. Mina started crying so Jihyo moved closer to her and embraced her. "Mina, it's alright." 
"You all forgave me so easily. But I hurt you and it shouldn't be that easy." Jihyo pulled away, still holding Mina's arms and then knocked her forehead lightly. 
"It is that easy. Just remember all the times you had forgiven us everything. Also, we are not your father. You regret everything and it's all we need. We love you and we won't let you hurt more. Come on. Go to your bed." Mina stared at her with tears going down her cheeks. She truly had the best friends in the world. She nodded and went with Jihyo upstairs. She was lying in her bed and she thought that for the first time in a long time she went to sleep with a light heart. That was definitely a feeling she wanted to experience more in her life.

 

The new day brought a new challenge. Mina decided she wasn't ready to face it just yet. But her friends stood around her like vultures and wouldn't let her go. She was waiting for them to grow tired. Because who can stand for several hours watching someone? 
"Mina. You fixed things with us, you gotta fix them with Sana." Jihyo's voice was stern. Mina knew that but she was paralyzed with fear that Sana wouldn't want to see her after what happened at the banquet. She didn't want to create more trouble for Sana. 
"Sana was freaking out so much. Nayeon and Momo say that she didn't leave her room since the banquet." It stabbed Mina right in the heart. But not once, hundreds of times. She was looking at her hands and didn't say anything. What would she say to Sana? She didn't want to make excuses but she also couldn't keep everything from Sana.
"I can't just go there. I need more time to think this through. I will figure out how to fix this in the best way possible-" Jihyo cut her off with a wave of her hand.
"You have to figure this out now. We are going there in an hour." Mina felt panic take over her. Jihyo could be ruthless but she understood that it was for the best. The three girls left Mina alone so that she could think in peace. Albeit, she couldn't find the correct way to fix that. When the time came Mina got to a conclusion. That no matter what happens she still tried. Even if Sana didn't want to see her again she would accept that. She would be fine one day. Her mind didn't let her have any positive thoughts and she went to the palace prepared for failing. 

 

From the beginning, it wasn't easy. The first person the four of them met was Sana's mother. They all bowed respectfully. The empress was watching Mina though and didn't pay that much attention to the rest. 
"Good morning, girls. I understand this is an intervention." Jihyo nodded but she was surprised the empress knew that was the reason. "There might be a problem." Mina knew it. It wouldn't work after all. She lowered her head and sighed heavily.
"How so?" The empress looked at Jihyo and kept quiet for a moment. 
"I doubt Nayeon and Momo would let Mina in." The empress was actually sure of it. The two were pretty angry with Mina. They were angry that Sana was hurt because of Mina. 
"Jihyo-unnie talk with Nayeon then." Tzuyu was sure that Jihyo could influence at least Nayeon. Jihyo wasn't so sure about that though. Nayeon was stubborn. She would have to be more careful than a sapper not to set Nayeon off. Jihyo started to think that perhaps, Mina was right and they should have waited a bit.
"I can try but I don't know if she listens." They didn't know what to do at this point. The empress could sense it and she didn't want them to give up. 
"Mina, whatever had happened, I know there was a good reason for your disappearance. I can tell it has something to do with your father, right?" Mina nodded slowly. She felt like the empress could receive an explanation as well.
"My father didn't like how close I am with Sana. I was scared and left. I didn't want him to hurt anyone. I didn't want to hurt anyone either." The empress could tell Mina's words were sincere. She also didn't have a problem with forgiving Mina. She smiled at the girls and moved aside to let them enter the palace.
"Come in. I want you to see Sana. I think you all can take Nayeon and Momo. Though, make sure that Sana hears you, Mina. Trusts me, she isn't upset with you at all." Mina couldn't comprehend how Sana wasn't angry with her after all the things she did. She still felt like she didn't deserve all the forgiveness. But she still didn't want to give up and she was walking together with her friends to Sana's room. It wasn't an easy walk like it used to be. Then it was like a walk through hell. She wanted to reach the room as fast as possible but, on the other hand, she didn't want to reach it. She was acting stupid again. Mina shook her head. She should stop thinking that way. She isn't under her father's influence anymore. 
At last, they reached Sana's room and the four girls stood in front staring at the door. They weren't sure if they should knock and let Nayeon and Momo face them first. Or should they just enter and let Sana see Mina and don't care if Nayeon and Momo had any buts. Mina was a polite woman so she knocked and they all prepared themselves for a storm coming. 

 

"Don't you wanna go to the garden? It's warm today." Momo tried to get Sana out of her room for at least half an hour but Sana didn't budge. Nayeon kind of gave up on trying and just lied next to Sana on the huge bed. Momo shot her a glare and in response, Nayeon only shrugged. They couldn't force Sana to do something she didn't want to. Nayeon also didn't feel like going out. Jihyo canceled their date and she was sulky about it. Momo gave up and sat on the chair.
"Do you think the penguins really have one partner for life?" Sana's question was so out of the blue that Nayeon and Momo stopped thinking for a few seconds. Sana was lying with the dog plushie in her arms and she was reading something on the phone. Which gave them an answer as to why Sana aksed that.
"If you read it in an article then why do you ask?" Sana pouted at Nayeon's reply. The answer was too embarrassing so Sana remained silent.
"You guys don't have to stay here all the time." Sana felt bad about that since the beginning. Momo and Nayeon kept coming over and staying with her for hours. They never did more than talk and just sit together in silence. Sana was aware of the fact it must've been incredibly boring to stay with her. Albeit, she was very grateful for her friends.
"Shut up. We are not letting you rot here." Nayeon never was the one for subtlety. 
"Yeah. We can't let you be bored alone. We gotta do things together." Momo's statement was supposed to help Sana understand that she should get out of her room for once. Sana just didn't want to. She knew she was acting immature. But she felt somehow safe in her room. She had hope that Mina might knock on her door at any moment. So if she wasn't inside she would miss her. She wouldn't tell Nayeon and Momo though. They would get angry that she has thoughts like that. They were angry with Mina after all.  She wasn't. She just wanted Mina to come back and it would be alright. 
"Sana. You will see that in a year or two you would be fine." Sana frowned at Nayeon's words. She didn't like what they implied. Albeit, Sana still didn't tell Nayeon and Momo about her feelings so to them she is just hurt from losing a friend not love.
"I don't want to see. Mina will be back." Nayeon sighed. They really couldn't get into Sana's head. 
"What if she won't? What if she doesn't want to come back?" Momo's words stab just in the right place. They were harsh, Momo knew that. But she thought that maybe Sana needs to hear them to accept the situation. "What if Mina left and she doesn't care about you? Sana you can't keep acting this way just because you lost a friend. You still have us. If she left you then she doesn't deserve you." Momo barely avoided the pillow that was flying at her face. She looked at Sana that was standing on the bed boiling with fury.
"Take that back." Nayeon had never witnessed angry Sana and by Momo's reaction, she knew Momo neither. 
"I won't. You can't keep believing that Mina will be back. It damages you and I hate it." Momo didn't quiver before Sana. She had to keep going to make Sana realize she had to accept it.
"Mina wouldn't leave like that. There is a reason and she will be back when she deals with it." Nayeon and Momo glanced at each other. They felt bad but they had to do it.
"She was a jerk to you at the banquet and you are protecting her like that? Don't you think there is something wrong with this mindset?" Sana glared daggers at Nayeon. She didn't want to kick her friends out but she was very close to doing so.
"She wasn't a jerk. She was dismissive. She obviously has a problem. She was terrified. It's all because of her father." Nayeon and Momo had skeptical thoughts about it. They wouldn't believe anything until they heard the truth from Mina. Though, they doubted Mina would be honest with them.
"Sana, please. You need to-" Momo was cut off by a knock. And Sana's heart stopped. Her immediate thought was that it was Mina but she knew it was silly. Nayeon went to open the door and upon seeing who was standing in front she closed them again. That shocked both girls, especially the frown that appeared on Nayeon's face.
"Who is it?" Sana asked full of hope that this irritation means Mina actually was there. Nayeon didn't answer. And it was all that Sana needed to storm to the door.