Chapter 5

The way you fall

Hey. I am not sure if the chapter is as good as I wanted it to be but I tried to make it engaging. Also, I feel like a jerk for doing this to her. Hopefully, she will have the other's support. It is shorter than the other chapters but I thought it was enough to convey the story. Enjoy!

 

 

Mina was contemplating coming home. She didn't have the strength to face her friends after today. But it was nearing 1 a.m. and Jihyo called her three times already. She was standing before the door and was breathing heavily. She tried to calm herself. She needed to be calm so that she wouldn't worry her friends.
"Okay, Mina. You got this. Don't be weak." She took one last breath and entered the house. It didn't surprise her when Jihyo walked out of the living room and met her in the hallway, hands on her hips.
"Why didn't you answer? We were all worried. You know what time is it?"  Mina couldn't meet her eyes. It took one look into Jihyo's big eyes and Mina would crumble. She would break down again and it would be pathetic. Her father was right about her. 
"We had a busy day. I didn't come to work in the morning either, so that's why I had to stay longer." Mina walked passed her friend and entered the living room. Chaeyoung and Tzuyu were lying on the sofa, asleep. Mina knew they all waited for her but the two just gave in to their exhaustion. She's always burdening them. It's all her fault. She couldn't look at them. So, she turned and headed for her room. Jihyo followed.
"Why didn't you go? You are always on time. Was your mom upset?" Jihyo didn't want to let go. She knows Mina for so long and even though her friend is an enigma to Jihyo most of the time, she can tell when something is bothering her. The two entered Mina's room and Jihyo waited next to the door. Mina went to pick her pajamas.
"I was with Sana. My mom wasn't upset. Can I go take a shower?" Mina lifted the clothes in her hands to pointed for the bathroom. Jihyo scrutinized her. Mina looked normal, at first glance. But Jihyo just felt like something was off. It was the way Mina never met her eyes. Afraid of something. Jihyo sighed and pulled her friend into a hug.
"Take a shower and go to sleep. I will wait for you and kick your if you won't do that." Mina only snorted at Jihyo's threat. She pulled away and exited the room. Jihyo watched as her friend disappeared into the bathroom and wondered if Mina really went into the shower so fast after the door closed.

"Will this even work? Mina-unnie won't fall for this." Chaeyoung was observing Jihyo who was walking from one end of the room to the other. Tzuyu was staring blankly at the ceiling. 
"We need to make Mina open up. She is never telling us anything negative. Like, everyone has negative things happen to them and we are always showering her with our problems. She never talks about them, as if her life was perfect. I know it's not, so we gotta force her." Jihyo halted and made some weird gestures with her arms. Tzuyu glanced at Jihyo.
"So, she won't tell us but will tell Sana. I don't see any logic here." Tzuyu was a little offended. Just the thought that Mina, her close friend, would confide in someone she knew for three months, made her hurt a little. 
"Look, she won't tell us because we are her close friends. She doesn't want to burden us. But Sana is not that close with her. It should be easier to talk about things like that with her." Jihyo was dead-set on this plan. She was also a little hurt that Mina won't talk with them but she trusted that Sana could help.
"Well, how are we going to talk with Sana about that?" Chaeyoung broke the stare off Jihyo and Tzuyu had. Both girls looked at her. "We aren't her friends. And we can't ask Mina about it." Jihyo grinned. She had just the right solution for that. 
"I will ask Nayeon." Of course, she would. The two other girls should have expected that. "It will be a success. Just don't tell Mina, Tzuyu." 
"Why are you only reprimanding me?" Chaeyoung tried to hold her laughter. Tzuyu glared at her and it made the tiny girl lose it.
"Because you can't lie, especially to Mina. Let's keep it a secret. We will help Mina, I'm sure of it."

Sana kept rehearsing what she would say when Mina got to the palace. The call from Nayeon wasn't anything unusual. The older liked to call and say the most random stuff then hung up. But this time she actually contacted Sana for an important matter. Sana noticed that Mina acted weird sometimes and would push the princess away. She wanted to help but she wasn't sure if she would be able to. Knocking had finally brought her back to Earth. Sana went to open the door. Mina looked normal. She was smiling at Sana and walked inside. Were Mina's friends exaggerating? 
"I'm glad you're here." Mina glanced at her with a raised eyebrow.
"Why wouldn't I be here? We have things to do." Sana moved closer to the tutor and grabbed her hands. She led them to the chairs next to the desk and sat them down.
"We are friends, right?" Mina was baffled. She stared at Sana with a frown.
"Is that a trick question?" Sana shook her head.
"No! I was just checking. Of course, we are friends. The thing is that I am worried about you. You can count on me. If something is bothering you, you can tell me." Sana squeezed Mina's hands and gave her an encouraging smile. Mina considered her options for a moment.
"I am alright. Thank you for worrying but you don't have to. I don't want you to feel upset. Let's do the work now." Mina sounded very convincing.  The keyword being sounded. Something in the tutor felt off. Sana had a bad feeling about that. 
"If you say so. Mitang, just so you know. I am here." Mina only nodded. 

There was an awkward atmosphere in the room after the talk. Mina was acting normal, well for the most part. She was professional. There were no jokes or small talks. She completely focused on the work they were doing. That made Sana even more concerned. Maybe she had offended Mina by doubting they are friends? Or there really was something that was bothering Mina and she was keeping it inside. What also threw Sana off was the constant ringing of the tutor's phone. Mina never picked up. 
"I should be going. It's getting late." Mina was already heading for the door. Sana felt like she shouldn't let Mina go for some reason. The phone rang again and Mina's face showed fear for a split second. 
"Maybe stay here tonight. You don't have early classes tomorrow." Sana approached Mina and tried to peek at the phone. She was able to see father written as the contact name. 
"I need to go. I am sorry, Sana." The phone stopped ringing. 
"I feel like I shouldn't let you go." Mina looked up at Sana with an unreadable expression. "Jihyo told me something is wrong and I am scared. Someone has been calling you the whole time and you actually looked scared for a second. Please, tell me what is happening." They were just staring at each other. Sana's anxiety rising with every second that passed without speaking. 
"It is my business. You shouldn't get involved. It could harm you. Please, I am handling it. I need to go before I get another call. Good evening, Sana." Sana was taken aback. She only gained her consciousness after a few seconds and when Mina was out of the room already. The princess sprinted out after Mina and caught her on the stairs. 
"Wait. Explain it to me. You can't just say things like that and leave. Mina, what is happening? I want to help." Mina bit her lower lip and it looked like she was fighting with herself. And she was about to say something when her phone rang again. She picked up.
"I am going back. I was at University and couldn't pick up, forgive me, father." Sana frowned. Why is Mina's father calling her so many times? Why Mina reacts that way to this. "Goodbye, father." Sana took a deep breath but again she couldn't say anything. Mina walked down the stairs and headed outside.

"I am telling the truth. I was at University." Mina tried to defend herself this time. She didn't want to stop seeing Sana, so she had to lie. She knew how risky it was but she was ready to take it. If she was able to see Sana, it was worth it.
"Why don't I believe you?" Her father's eyes were piercing. She had a hard time keeping her cool. 
"I don't know, father. I am telling the truth." She kept eye contact.  Concentrating so that not a muscle would flinch. 
"You can't lie, Mina." Her heart stopped. "Go to work now. Inform me whether you are at University next time." Did he believe her? Mina was ready for hell to unleash and here her father trusted her every word. Maybe it was due to Mina always obeying him, that he didn't assume she had the guts to go against his word. Mina got up and bowed to her father. Outside she let out a heavy breath. Perhaps, she would be alright. It was a beautiful thought until her positive thinking got shot down one day.

It was nearly a month since Sana tried to talk with Mina about her problems. The princess didn't mention it again. She was just happy that Mina still wanted to be her friend and came over every day. What was good was that Mina was happy. She was laughing and chatting with Sana like always. The princess thought that whatever was bothering Mina back then was gone now. 
"Sana, focus on the notebook, not my face." Sana immediately turned her gaze at the notebook, feeling bashful. Mina only giggled at her.
"You two seem to be having a lot of fun." The empress put her hands on their shoulders and startled them. 
"Mom! Can you stop sneaking on us?" Her mother just laughed and patted them. 
"I wouldn't be able to witness such a lovely sight otherwise. It makes me happy that you two are so close." The empress was looking at them with soft eyes. "And it pains me to tell you you two need to end the session for today." Sana raised her brow. It seemed like the two of them were interrupted a lot. She hoped that it's not Jeongyeon. She couldn't face the girl after what happened in the gardens. 
"What is the reason this time?" Her mother glanced at Mina.
"Mina's father is here." Mina's eyes got wide and conveyed fear. "He came for some discussion and learned that you are here and decided to take you home. Are you alright, Mina?" Mina's breathing was uneven. Sana put her arm around the tutor and felt her body shivering. 
"Mitang? What happened?" 
"I am so sorry. I need to go." She pushed Sana's arm away and stood up. The empress didn't trust Mina's ability to walk, so she supported her. Mina only pushed her hands away and exited the room. The empress looked at her daughter. Sana was in panic mode.
"Sana, it's okay. Maybe Mina just felt a little dizzy just now." Sana didn't answer. She just stared at the place was Mina was present before.

"She's late again." Jihyo swears to God that she will go insane because of her friends.
"Jihyo-unnie, sit, you are annoying." Tzuyu deadpanned. She was worried as well but she didn't show it. Mina was late a lot but they all worried the same every time. The door opened and the three girls waited for their friend to come into the living room. Mina appeared after a minute. Her head low, hair hiding her face. She didn't say anything. She walked straight for the stairs and headed to her room. The three girls looked at each other and followed Mina after a few seconds. When they tried to enter Mina's room something stopped them. The door was closed. Jihyo battled with the handle but it didn't budge. Chaeyoung knocked on the door.
"Mina-unnie? Are you okay?" There was no answer. Tzuyu banged on the door startling the other two.
"Mina-unnie! Open the door, we want to talk." Again, nothing. "Don't you have a spare key?" Tzuyu was frustrated and her voice was low.
"No. She never locked them before. She didn't even have the key there. She must've taken it from my room." Jihyo was the next one to try. "Mina. We are worried. You never ignore us. What is wrong?" Silence. Chaeyoung groaned loudly. Tzuyu glared at the floor. Jihyo massaged her temples. 
"What do we do?" Chaeyoung looked hopefully at Jihyo. But Jihyo had no idea. She was Mina's best friend and she felt like she has failed her. 
"Let's go to bed. We will catch her tomorrow."

But they didn't. Mina was already gone when they woke up. Their messages were left unanswered. So, Jihyo decided to call Sana again. Mina was at the palace yesterday. Something must've happened there. She was anxiously waiting for the princess to pick up, playing with the hem of her shirt. When Sana finally picked up, Jihyo wasn't able to say anything.
"Is Mina alright? She isn't answering my messages and calls. I am worried sick. Please, tell me she is fine." Jihyo felt bad that she had to destroy the little hope Sana had.
"She's not. I don't know what happened and she's not replying to us either. I hoped you could tell me what happened yesterday." Sana was silent. Jihyo waited patiently for the princess to say anything. First came a shaky breath then a soft voice.
"It was fine until my mother told us that her father was waiting for her. She looked terrified when she heard that. But she went with him anyway." That was weird. Jihyo met Mina's father a few times, he was always nice to her. So why was Mina scared of him? At least now Jihyo knew what could've been the cause of the behavior.
"Thank you, Sana. I will investigate it and let you know."
"Thank you, Jihyo. She was supposed to come to the palace today, so maybe I will be able to ask her as well." Jihyo had a feeling Mina might not go there. She just wished this won't take a toll on Sana and Mina's relationship. 
"Good. I will keep in touch." She hung up. 

When Tzuyu got home her stomach dropped. Mina's shoes were gone. She tried not to think too much about it and went to see if they aren't in Mina's room. But the sight of nothing except for furniture in Mina's room made her heart stop. She ran down the stairs and entered the living room to see if the console is there. Instead, she found a letter. From Mina. Saying that she needed to move out because her mother got sick and her father was too busy to take care of her. She said she will be back in a few months and that she won't be able to contact them much. But she will still visit them. Tzuyu knew it was bull. She crumpled the paper in her hands, furious. She didn't think then. She left the house and headed for Myoui's residence to talk with Mina personally. 
The door was opened by Mr. Myoui. Tzuyu didn't let him speak.
"Where is Mina?" Her voice was hostile. She was ready to fight the man if needed. This whole thing wasn't normal.
"Tzuyu, hello. Mina is with her mother. She fell ill and needs a lot of care. I thought Mina left you a note." It all sounded suspicious. 
"I need to talk to her." Mr. Myoui shook his head. Tzuyu was slowly losing her temper.
"I can't let you in. Do you want to take her away from her mother? What type of friend are you? You should go home." Tzuyu frowned. Was he insulting her? Was he playing mind games with her? She wasn't having it. 
"Bull. I will go to both of them. I won't take Mina away."
"Remember, the longer you are here the worse it is for Mina." Tzuyu was taken aback. "If I were you, I would leave on my own. I will give you that chance." 
"Are you threatening me?" Mr. Myoui only smirked. 
"I am telling you what's best for Mina. So, if you really care for her...go away." Tzuyu was scared. She never thought badly about Mina's father. It turns out she should have. Mr. Myoui closed the door in her face and left paralyzed Tzuyu at the front door. 

Mina saw the whole thing. She even heard it. All she could do was cry. Cry while loud music was playing from the speakers so that no one would hear her. She was a bad person. How could she let that happened? She should have listened to her father and stop meeting Sana so often. She should have listened and find a man for herself. Why was she like that? So weak and useless. How could Sana like her? There is nothing to her and such an incredible person fell for her. She was a bad friend. She kept lying to them every day. She hated herself. She hated that she felt bad for feeling sorry for herself. And finally, she concluded that it was for the best. Her friends will be better off without her and Sana will be happy with someone else. She won't hurt them anymore. Her father won't hurt them when she stays away. It will be for the best. Mina stared blankly at the door. No more tears were left. For once she believed in everything her father told her. He was right all along.