Chapter 10

The way you fall

I hope the chapter isn't disappointing. I promise to write more Misana moments in the next chapter. I just thought that they are in this a little awkward stage and need a little time. Tell me if anything feels wrong. Enjoy!

 

 

Nayeon and Momo watched as Sana grabbed the handle and opened the door. They couldn't just hold her back. It would be merciless. Sana would be so furious with them they would probably wouldn't see her for a while. Sana stood frozen. She knew who she would see in front of the door but it still felt like a dream to her. Mina was in a similar state. She was ready for the worst so when she saw Sana, Mina didn't know what to do. Albeit, they didn't have to say anything.
"So, what are you all doing here?" Nayeon and Momo stopped behind Sana and looked at the four girls standing in the hallway. Jihyo took it upon herself to deal with Nayeon, as she promised.
"Nayeon. Mina wants to explain what had happened. Let her speak with Sana, we will tell you two everything." Though, Nayeon and Momo weren't convinced. They didn't want to leave Sana alone with Mina. Just in case Mina tried to sell her some bull.
"We don't trust Mina." Momo answered simply and Mina couldn't blame them for it. She gave them all the reasons not to trust her so wasn't it only right for them? 
"Whatever. It's not about whether you trust her or not." Tzuyu wasn't taking any from them. She was ready to drag them out of the room even with one hand. The look on her face definitely worried Nayeon and Momo. 
"This is whether Sana trusts Mina." Chaeyoung finished and those were the words Nayeon and Momo didn't like hearing. They were aware that they can't forbid Sana from talking with Mina but they at least wanted to witness it. They were ready to say something albeit they halted upon seeing Tzuyu's glare and raised arm.
"Nayeon, Momo. Go with them." Sana's response was sudden and they all looked at the princess. Sana was still staring at Mina though. Nayeon and Momo sighed and moved forward. Which came as a surprise to everyone. They thought it would take them a while to convince the two to leave.
"We will go. But we are going to be back in 15 minutes." Nayeon didn't let anyone talk her out of it. She was going back in 15 minutes and no one would stop her. She even glared at Tzuyu to let her know she wasn't scared of her. Momo rolled her eyes at Nayeon's behavior nonetheless, she was going back with her. They couldn't let Mina be alone with Sana for long. They just weren't sure what Mina would say and how it would affect Sana. They followed Jihyo and Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu were walking behind them. They went outside and there Jihyo decided to tell them what had happened.
"Listen. Mina left because her father forced her to." Nayeon and Momo didn't look that convinced. Jihyo was Mina's best friend and she would defend her no matter what, right?
"Jihyo, honey. I know you are her friend but you don't have to defend her when she did something wrong." Nayeon believed Jihyo would listen to her. Albeit she forgot that her girlfriend is stubborn.
"Do you think I would lie to you, Nayeon?" Jihyo's words made Nayeon feel guilty. She didn't mean to make Jihyo feel that way. She shook her head fast.
"Of course not. I didn't mean to imply such a thing." Jihyo sighed and massaged her temples. 
"Mina is in a terrible situation. She was seriously terrified of her father. That he would do something to us so she left and tried to distance herself from us. Please, believe me. She had had enough and left. She unlocked the strength she always had and left. She regrets that she acted hurtfully and she apologized." Nayeon and Momo still wanted to be skeptical but they couldn't. They knew Jihyo was telling the truth. Though, they were wondering what had exactly happened. 
"Is her father abusive or something? Because why would he do that? Mina is an adult already." Momo didn't understand how Mina's father had so much power over her. But she never experienced something like Mina in her life and that's where the lack of understatement came from. 
"When someone abuses you for over 10 years I think it's easy to be under their control." Chaeyoung used numbers to help Nayeon and Momo see how destructive Mina's father actually was. 
"Over 10 years?! So it's like that since she was a kid? Why no one did anything?" Nayeon transferred all her anger from Mina to her father. Momo changed her mind as well. They both felt bad for being angry with Mina and putting all the blame on her when she was a victim. But it's better late than never.
"Mina was too terrified to tell anyone and didn't want to bother them. Her father really made her feel like she had no one. She said that she attempted to fix things with him and that it nearly worked." Jihyo wasn't sure if she should tell them the reason for the agreement not to work. She didn't want to expose her best friend but she didn't want to keep another thing from Nayeon.
"Why would she want to fix things with a jerk like him?" Obviously, Nayeon and Momo didn't know Mina well enough. 
"Mina is like Mother Teresa. She would forgive anyone. She sees good in everyone. She did in her father so she tried to fix their relationship. But it didn't go as it should have." Tzuyu also didn't want to reveal the exact reason behind the failure. She hoped it would be enough for Nayeon and Momo to understand and stop acting like Mina was a hazard to Sana's life.
"It's just ed up. I am glad she escaped that ." Nayeon's words calmed everyone. It meant that there would be no troubles from Sana's friends. 
"Yeah. She is really brave. We are sorry for acting stupid." Jihyo shook her head. 
"You didn't know. Your reaction was justified. Thank you for understanding." Their only worry was the two girls inside the palace. They hoped everything was going right and when they go there they would see Sana and Mina laughing together. 

 

Sana and Mina were still standing in the same position after a few minutes. Neither of them knew how to began. There were so many things they wanted to say but they just couldn't form a sentence. Mina was thinking that it was all on her so she should take the first step. Albeit, the nerves were eating her up. She looked at the ground and tried to calm her breathing and racing heart. She took a few deep breaths and raised her head to look at Sana again.
"I am so sorry." That wasn't exactly all she wanted to say but blocked after those words. Sana was still staring at her. Mina swallowed with trouble and tried again. "I am so sorry for leaving without an explanation. For never responding and answering the calls. For being rude to you at the banquet. You don't deserve such treatment. I just wanted to apologize and I'm not asking for forgiveness. I just wanted you to know." Mina let out a shaky breath after she was done and she waited. She waited for Sana to say something. No matter what that would be. 
"It hurt me. A lot. At first, I didn't know why." Sana paused for a few seconds and wondered if it was a good time to confess everything. She tried to read it from Mina's expression. And Sana remembers that she usually couldn't read Mina's expression albeit then she could see everything. She could see the sadness, exhaustion, pain, regret, and hope. "I just tried to reach you and learn why you did that. But it never worked. And I was so determined to talk with you at the banquet and make you stay, that it broke my heart when you said those things and left." Mina lowered her head again. She felt awful and her eyes got blurry from tears. She tried to keep them from falling. She couldn't break down then. She had to face the consequences. 
"You know what I have realized then? I knew why it all hurt so much. Because I have fallen for you. And I decided then that I will wait for you because I knew you will be back. I mean look. You are here!" Tears were falling from Sana's eyes. She didn't cry from sadness. She was relieved and happy.  "So, please. Tell me what happened?" Sana grasped Mina's hands gently and waited for a response. Mina looked lost that's why Sana gave her time to process it all. And Mina finally held Sana's hands back.
"I will. Thank you so much. I don't deserve you." Sana shook her head and pulled Mina into her arms. She held her tight.
"Of course you do. You deserve the world. Universe even. Mitang, don't bring yourself down." For the first time, Mina didn't hesitate to hold Sana back. She wasn't afraid anymore. She just wanted to stay like that. 
"I was scared of my father. I was afraid he would hurt you all. That's why I acted that way. I thought I don't deserve you guys. That I would only hurt you if I stay. But after what I said at the banquet, I have lost it. I had had enough and fought back. It was going well and my father apologized for all those years of hurting me and making my life miserable. Until he figured out that I" Mina stopped and clenched Sana's shirt in her hands. She was brave know but talking about her feelings was still the hardest thing for her. Actually saying it out loud to Sana felt like Sisyphean labor. She fished that Sana would just know that she loves her but Mina was aware of the fact that she never made it obvious. Mina knew about Sana's feelings so the confession wasn't a shock, though hearing it out loud was a different experience. 
"It's alright, Mitang. Take your time." Sana sensed that it was too hard for Mina to continue and she didn't want to pressure her. It was obvious to her that was what Mina's father did and it had a terrible influence on Mina.
"I have feelings for someone I should not have according to him. And I left after that. I don't care what he thinks anymore. I won't let him control me anymore. I understood that I have other people that care about me. You are one of them and I can't thank you enough for that." Sana squeezed Mina even tighter. She was glad Mina told her at least part of the story behind her disappearance. She pulled away and looked into Mina's eyes with the brightest smile.
"You are brave Mina. He took so much from you and you are finally taking it all back." Mina was mesmerized by Sana's eyes and smile. It was conveying so many emotions that it was overwhelming. Sana was giving Mina a sense of safety that she hardly ever felt. 
"Sana?" Mina's voice was soft as always, not at all scared or sad. Sana loved the sound of it and she was overjoyed that it was back.
"Yes?" Mina looked around them and then back at Sana.
"Maybe we should enter your room. We are still in the hallway." Sana took a look at her right and left and only then realized that she was so focused on Mina she forgot about the surroundings. She giggled awkwardly and pulled Mina into her room happily. Sana's mother sighed with content. She probably shouldn't have spied on her daughter and Mina but she needed to make sure everything would go well. She was content with the results, of course. Seeing Sana and Mina smile so brightly was all she needed to know everything would be alright. She left then thinking of a plan to tell the news to her husband and Hidenori without creating a conflict for ages.

 

"So, do y'all think they are done?" Chaeyoung asked into the silence. It wasn't an awkward silence. They just focused on the two girls inside of the palace that they forgot to talk. 
"It's been half an hour, so they probably did." Momo answered after checking the time on her phone. Everyone nodded but they all remained seated.
"Maybe we should go and check on them?" Nayeon wanted to apologize to Mina and that was the main reason for her suggestion. She was sure Sana and Mina made up so she wasn't really worried about that.
"Perhaps." Jihyo agreed with her and helped her girlfriend stand up from the bench.
"But who knows what they are doing there." Tzuyu slapped Chaeyoung over the head and glared at her. Charyoung held the hurt place and massaged it. "Why did you do that?" Chaeyoung knew why but she played dumb to joke a little more.
"You know why. Don't insinuate such things." Tzuyu was trying hard not to think about what Chaeyoung said. She just didn't want to have this image in her head.
"You deserved it. Don't say things like that. We are talking about Mina. She's baby." Jihyo was offended. Her baby would never do such things. Nayeon rolled her eyes at the overdramatic situation and Momo laughed. But after a while, they got confused about what the three are actually talking about.
"I was just trying to lighten the mood. Jesus, you can't even joke in this family." Jihyo and Tzuyu only glared at Chaeyoung. They sometimes had enough of the lame jokes but that was part of Chaeyoung, so they had to accept it.
"What the hell are you guys talking about?" Nayeon asked and the other three stared at her blankly.
"What do you mean?" Jihyo was confused at the question but then it clicked. "Oh, you two don't know." Nayeon and Momo glanced at her with weird expressions. They didn't know about what? They felt like idiots at that moment. 
"About what?" Momo tried to get an answer but was met with silence. Jihyo, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu just started going back to the palace. Nayeon and Momo shared a look and then followed the three. They tried to connect the dots on their way back to Sana's room. And just as they were ready to enter everything clicked. Nayeon stopped the other three from entering.
"Is it what I think it is?" Jihyo looked at her girlfriend with furrowed brows. How was she supposed to know what Nayeon was thinking about? 
"It depends. What do you think it is?" Nayeon hesitated before answering.
"The way Sana acted the whole time. She has feelings for Mina. Does Mina?" Momo felt like a bad friend then. How did she not realized that Sana felt that way? She knows her forever and even witnessed Sana go through her first love. 
"Well, let's just go inside." Tzuyu knocked on the door and Nayeon, and Momo were left without an answer. The door was opened by a very happy Sana. Which made everyone let out a sigh of relief. 
"Oh. You guys are back." Sana's smile left her face as soon as she saw her friends. That made the rest irritated. They spent half an hour sitting outside so that Sana and Mina could talk and the princess greets them with a cold shoulder.
"It's nice of you to be happy to see us." Momo's voice was sarcastic. Sana rolled her eyes.
"You guys are interrupting my epic moment. I am this close to beating Mina at Mario Kart." All five girls looked at Sana with confusion. They thought that she was kidding but then Mina appeared with a big smile, which made everyone feel warm. Mina confirmed that they were indeed playing the game. She was holding her phone with a paused game.
"Hey. Everything went well. I still can't believe this. Get inside, we are having Mario Kart competition." They shouldn't have doubted Sana. Of course, playing games with Mina was the best way of cheering her up. But Sana rolled her eyes at the invitation. She wanted to spend the time with Mina only. She didn't need five other people to interrupt them. Momo and Nayeon sensed that Sana didn't want them there and decided to help her. Though, they would call her at night to have a talk. They had to ask Sana why she didn't tell them she had feelings for Mina.
"We were going out actually. Jihyo and I have a date." Nayeon grabbed Jihyo's arm and waved at Sana and Mina. The two had different expressions on. Sana was smiling at her gratefully and Mina pouted at the decline.
"Yeah. Chaeyoung and Tzuyu wanted to show me how to knock someone out with a cast. So, we will go as well." Chaeyoung looked at Momo suspiciously as they never talked about it. Tzuyu, on the other hand, didn't mind the change of plans. She was always happy to teach other people how to protect themselves. Momo led the two out showing Sana thumbs up before disappearing down the hallway.
"It's a shame. I wanted to spend time with everyone." Sana almost felt guilty for making the rest go. Almost. She knew why she did it and she shouldn't regret it. She wanted to have Mina to herself for at least the rest of today. Then they can hang out with the rest. Sana grasped Mina's face and left a long kiss on her cheek. Then she went back to bed. Leaving confused Mina by the door. Mina thought that it was some type of distraction method because it made her very distracted. Albeit, she couldn't help the stupid smile that appeared on her face after. She closed the door after a moment and shook her head. She had to focus. She couldn't let Sana win with her. But perhaps, Sana had already won her over.

 

"You don't actually have to show me how to knock someone out, Tzuyu." Momo said while trying to keep Tzuyu from demonstrating the technique on worried Chaeyoung.
"But it's important. You can protect yourself if you know it." Chaeyoung didn't sign up for that. What has she ever done in her life to be a test subject? 
"I know. But I don't think you need to knock Chaeyoung out to show it to me." Tzuyu considered it for a moment and nodded.
"That's true. I won't knock her out. I will be gentle." That wasn't what Momo had in mind but at least she wouldn't have to bring Chaeyoung to the hospital. Chaeyoung didn't accept her fate though and started running away. That only made Tzuyu chase her. Momo watched the two and only one thought came into her mind. That these two are still kids. Which was a good thing. She grinned and started chasing after them. 
At last, everything was looking up and everyone felt like they could be truly happy from then on.