Chapter 8

The way you fall

I hope I didn't rush anything. Please, forgive me if I did. We are probably nearing end as well. For now, enjoy!

 

"There is one more thing." Mina wasn't sure what her father meant. She was sure they agreed on everything and she was ready to end their conversation. 
"What is it?" Her father crossed his arms over the chest and looked serious. That made Mina worry even more.
"I have taken you away from your friends. I am sorry for that. You should get back to them. Tell them what happened. Maybe don't tell everything to the princess." Mr. Myoui didn't have any ill intentions. He was just worried about his position as a minister. The princess could tell her parents about it and the emperor could look disapprovingly at him. Mina didn't look too happy at the news.
"I can't lie. You said it yourself. Do you really care more about your job than the truth?" Her father let out a heavy sigh. Mina was getting irritated with him all over again. She knew change won't happen fast but it was still throwing her off.
"My job is important, Mina. The princess can end it with one word because she would be angry with me. Not because of legitimate reasons." Mina kinda understood him. She still thought that it was wrong of him to think that way albeit she knew that acting under emotions wasn't the best idea.
"I understand. But Sana is not like that. She wouldn't do it." Mr. Myoui raised his brow. He thought that his daughter doesn't know the princess well enough to make such statements.
"You know her for a few months and you were just her tutor. You can't be sure about things like that." Mina rolled her eyes. It seems to be fruitless.
"I am not just her tutor. I know Sana well enough to be sure." Her voice was forceful. Something that was rare for her.  Albeit, she realized something. That she shouldn't have gotten angry about it. Because her father could see through her. Then he would know about the thing she tried so hard to keep a secret.
"You don't have to get so angry with me. It just makes sense. You know Jihyo since middle school and Chaeyoung and Tzuyu for a few years. I think there is a significant difference here." Mr. Myoui couldn't comprehend how his daughter could be so naive. He always thought Mina was intelligent but then she didn't make sense to him.
"Don't compare them. It's not the same. I was able to get close to Sana in those months. It is possible." Mr. Myoui scrutinized Mina. He was getting suspicious about something. 
"Why are you defending her so much? You have disobeyed me and kept seeing her the whole time." Mina interrupted him here. She didn't want him to think more about that. She couldn't risk it.
"As a friend, of course, I will defend her. And I am, was, her tutor so I couldn't just stop going to see her." Her father didn't seem to be convinced. He caressed his beard and kept eyeing Mina. He tried to force her to talk with the stare. But she swore that her parents would never find out. So she didn't budge. She hoped that her father would remember that she can't lie and would believe her. 
"You have never defended Jihyo that way." That statement seemed to hurt Mina and Mr. Myoui regretted wording it that way. 
"I was terrified to do that. I was scared you would do something if I talk back." Mina's father understood. He nodded but one thing bothered him.
"Then what made you talk back today? You must've met with the princess. The empress asked me to check her up and when we left you met with the princess." Mina sighed. She had to be honest then. Perhaps that could work in her favor.
"Yes. But I didn't know about that." Mina didn't tell what happened between them at that time. She was ashamed of it.
"So, it's her? You talked back because of her?" Mr. Myoui paused for a few seconds. He was getting one thought albeit, he didn't want to accuse his daughter of something without more proof.
"It just helped me to get the courage." Mina didn't say more. They stood facing each other in silence. Her father looked as if he wanted to ask about something but couldn't decide if it was right to do so. Mina only hoped that it wasn't what she feared.
"I don't want to speculate. But you never paid attention to men." Mina was terrified. She didn't make it obvious, right? She was being very careful. Her father had never noticed. Albeit, it seemed like the plans of them fixing their relationship would get destroyed on the same day.

 

The empress was feeling guilty. She knew it wasn't her who did this but she still blamed herself. She was the one who wanted Mina to get close to Sana. She was the one that kept giving them little pushes. She has never expected that it would end that way. She didn't know what was going on with Mina's family. Sana told her that Mina was supposed to take care of her sick mother. Albeit not only Sana but also the empress had noticed that Mrs. Myoui didn't look ill. Sana didn't think too much of it as she was more occupied with the mission to get Mina. The empress found it all too suspicious. Mina didn't look happy either. The empress had a thought that if she didn't ask Mina to be Sana's tutor this thing wouldn't have happened. And now both girls are hurt. Sana was always in her room. She didn't come out when Hidenori suggested walking around the gardens. She didn't leave her room when her father wanted to read together. She didn't get out when her mother proposed doing anything. The princess only let Momo and Nayeon go inside her room. Which the empress understood. She just wished she could help her daughter. That's why she was making her way to Sana's room with hot chocolate. The empress was rehearsing the words she would say to Sana so that she wouldn't say something to upset her daughter.
The empress kicked the door hard enough for Sana to hear, as she didn't have a free hand. She knew her daughter most likely won't open the door so easily. She repeated the kick a few more times. She hoped her daughter would get annoyed and open the door to tell her mother to go. So the empress kept kicking. The maids looking at her weirdly while walking down the hallway. Finally, she heard footsteps and a click. Sana opened the door forcefully with a little grimace.
"Mom, what are you doing?" The empress only smiled sweetly, not minding her daughter's sour tone. She lifted her hands a little showing Sana the hot chocolate.
"Let's drink this. It will make you feel one percent better. The talk with me would make you feel ten percent better. And you know, ten is a lot, actually." Sana stared at her mother blankly for a few seconds. Then she sighed heavily and moved inside her room. Her mother followed. The empress put the mugs on the desk and went to close the door. Sana was already lying in bed. Holding her phone and eyeing it with hope. 
"What happened at the banquet?" The empress asked softly. Sana took a shaky breath. 
"It feels like a lot happened but at the same time nothing did." Her mother nodded and didn't pressure Sana to say more. She just waited. The empress only spoke when her daughter didn't say anything for a few minutes.
"Did Mina tell you anything?" Sana grimaced at the memory of their conversation. She didn't want to talk about it albeit her mother may help her accept the way things could've been from there.
"I'm not even sure. She said sometimes bad things happen and we can't do anything about it. That she left for a reason, to not get us involved. But she didn't say more. It was all ambiguous." The empress didn't know what to think of it either. She was getting bad vibes from that situation.
"Bad things happen and we can't do anything about that. That doesn't sound comforting." Sana nodded. That sentence wouldn't leave her mind. It made her worry even more about Mina. "You said that Mina's mother was sick. Did you notice that about her?" The princess glanced at her mother. Mrs. Myoui didn't look ill at all. Sana only talked to her for a minute though. 
"Maybe she just acted as if she was alright?" The empress shook her head. That made Sana think. If Mina's mother really wasn't ill then why did Mina leave? Sana couldn't think of anything.
"I think that her mother's sickness was just a fake excuse." If that was fake and they would add the way Mina's father acted towards Tzuyu and what he said to her.
"So, it's her father? That made her distance herself? She told me about her parents, that they are strict. And she was terrified when her father came over here and wanted to take her home. Oh my god, mom!" Sana jumped off the bed and got closer to her mother. The empress had the same concerns but didn't want to act baselessly. 
"I think so too. But we can't go ahead of ourselves. We can't blame him without concrete proof." Sana deflated after hearing her mother's words. She thought that her mom would cheer her up not make her feel helpless again.
"So we are back to nothing then. I can wait." Sana went back to her bed. The empress mentally slapped herself for doing the thing she wanted to avoid. As she was cursing herself, Sana whispered something. She didn't catch up the whole thing. She only heard one day. Her curiosity took control over her. She stared at Sana that was hugging the dog plushie tightly. Her daughter was holding it so tight as if she was holding the only precious thing that was left in her life. 
"What did you say, darling?" The empress walked up to the bed and sat next to her daughter. Sana kept silent and buried her face into the dog. Her mother her back to make Sana comfortable. 
"That I can go through anything and wait for Mina if it means I can see her again." This statement didn't surprise the empress. She could tell how Sana felt. That was her goal after all. The empress wanted Sana to feel that way. But in the light of the things that happened recently, she felt guilty. She felt like her daughter was hurt because of her. The empress took a deep breath.
"Sana. I know how you feel. I am very sorry, darling. I should have considered everything before. Perhaps, you wouldn't be hurt right now." Sana glanced at her mother with confusion.
"What do you mean? Consider before? Mom, what have you done?" Sana wasn't angry by all means. She was just confused and generally annoyed. That's why she sounded angry. Her mother lowered her head. Preparing herself for a confession. Sana sat on the bed still holding the plushie. She faced the empress and waited.
"You see, Sana, I have chosen Mina as your tutor for a reason. I know you don't want to marry a man. I had noticed your feelings for our cook apprentice. I know you don't fancy men. I thought that I could find someone that you could be happy with. I knew Mina and always had a soft spot for her. I knew you would like her. And when I remember her bashful reaction when she first saw you. I knew I have found the right person. But I didn't take anything else into consideration. I am very sorry, darling." Sana wasn't sure what was more shocking to her. That her mother knew about her uality or that she made a plan like that. She was so taken aback that she couldn't say anything for a while. 
"You know and you accept that? You want me to be with who I want? But you found me a husband. He's literally in the room in front of mine. How would that work?" The empress expected questions like that. She hoped that her answers won't make Sana angry with her. 
"I love you, Sana. Of course, I accept you wholeheartedly. I want you to be with the person you love. I thought that your father would accept you as well and even let you marry the woman you love. But in the worst case, you would still need to marry Hidenori. And have your love in private." Sana understood what her mother meant. But she still couldn't believe her mother thought of all of this. Sana didn't know what to say. She wanted to say anything albeit she didn't want to sound pessimistic. Unfortunately, only negative things appeared in her mind.
"It didn't work in the end. Mina is not here and probably won't be for a long time. I am still marrying Hidenori. He's kind, I will be fine." The empress watched her daughter fall back on the pillows. It felt like the conversation reached its end. The empress didn't want to upset Sana more than she was already so she stood up and bent over the bed to leave a kiss on Sana's head. Then she exited the room. Leaving the already lukewarm chocolate with her daughter.

 

"We can't just do nothing." Tzuyu looked from Jihyo to Chaeyoung. The two were ready to let things go on their own. To which Tzuyu didn't agree at all. 
"The plan failed. There is no other way for us to reach Mina-unnie. We just gotta let go. Perhaps, in the near future, she would come back." Chaeyoung didn't like it either but she knew it was the only thing left. Mina seemed to avoid them masterfully. If she even did it because she wanted. 
"Tzuyu, we are as frustrated as you are but we need to stop for a while. If Mina left for a reason we need to respect that." Jihyo wanted to take control of things. She wasn't doing great albeit she tried her best. She knew Mina and that she wouldn't leave without a reason. It must've had to do with her family. But what, Jihyo couldn't tell. "We have already discussed it, no raid on her house." Tzuyu rolled her eyes. Chaeyoung giggled softly. It was weird. There were the three of them but somehow the house felt empty. Mina didn't make a lot of noise but her presence in the house was noticeable. The always present breakfast for everyone, the clean furniture, flowery smell in every room, even the sound of Mina's waddling around the house. They missed it all, even the way Mina would scold them when they did something wrong. It didn't feel right. 
"We can wait. But that wait could end on our death bed." Tzuyu might've been a tad bit too pessimistic. She just felt that way. They didn't know what would happen in an hour, so speculating when would Mina come back was pointless. 
"Even if, we need to respect that. I am sure that there was a serious reason for Mina to leave." Chaeyoung and Tzuyu glanced at Jihyo with understanding. They have to accept that and have hope.

 

Mrs. Myoui didn't have the time to react. All she saw was Mina storming through the hallway and exiting the house. She was paralyzed and her mind went blank. Mr. Myoui walked down after a minute. He went out of the house but came back after several minutes. He was agitated. But his wife couldn't tell if she was worried or angry. Maybe he was both. She regained her senses and got closer to her husband.
"What happened? Why did Mina leave?" Mr. Myoui only shot her a short glance. Then he hugged his wife. Which worried Mrs. Myoui even more. It was 10 p.m. and Mina left the house, definitely upset, without anything. Her husband just held her and didn't say anything. She wanted to push him away a little so that they would be face to face. She wouldn't budge.
"What happened? Tell me." Mrs. Myoui's voice was demanding. She didn't feel like being calm about it. She had a bad feeling about that. Mr. Myoui took a deep breath.
"Mina won't be back soon. She has chosen the princess and her friends over us. She told me she loves her. Can you imagine that? Our daughter. Being that way." Mrs. Myoui didn't need further explanation. She had never thought that Mina is like that. And Mrs. Myoui wasn't sure how she felt about that. She didn't know if that was a good thing. Perhaps, that's why she felt awful about feeling that way. Thinking ill of her daughter. Mr. Myoui couldn't accept that. He told Mina that was wrong and they fought yet again. He hoped Mina would understand and agree with him. But that's when she stormed out of her room. After telling him that she doesn't want to have parents that hate who she is. A father that had already damaged her. He tried to get her back but Mina took her car and drove away. So, the parents were left alone. To rethink their behavior and their mindset. It wasn't a given they would change. But that would be ideal for the family. 

 

Mina was driving but she didn't know where. She left the house furious. She expected such a reaction from her father. Nonetheless, actually hearing those words leave her father's mouth was something she wasn't prepared for. That's why she left. The thing that scared her for all those years turned out to be of help. She left that house because it came out. She was free. She could do her thing. She could be who she is. These thoughts were born in her mind as she was driving in the city. Looking around all the lit buildings. The night was full of life. People were roaming on the sidewalks, the streets full of cars. Mina wasn't scared anymore. She left her house furious and in tears. But now after two hours of driving and thinking, she had a smile on her face. A soft one. Mina felt like she could be happy after all these years of misery. She could teach ballet to kids like she always wanted. She could have whatever hobbies she wanted. She could have the friends she wanted. She could love who she wanted. She finally knew what happiness truly felt like. She had already experienced it whenever she was with her friends and with Sana. But it always lasted until she had to meet her father. Now it wouldn't end so easily and so fast. She would make sure that it lasts. Mina just had to make up with her friends and with Sana, and she will be fulfilled. That's the hardest part. She didn't know how they all would react when she comes back. She left without saying anything and then she pushed them away. She decided that no matter the reaction, she wouldn't give up and she would do anything to fix things between them. So, she headed to her home.

 

The only one up was Tzuyu. The other two girls went to bed early, they were exhausted after a day of work. Tzuyu just couldn't fall asleep. Even though it was 1 a.m. she was playing on Mina's Nintendo Switch. Getting annoyed whenever she got killed by a boss in the game. She would never comprehend how Mina does it all so effortlessly. Getting through the games with ease. She needed to ask Mina when she would be back. If that would ever happen. Her heart stopped for a second when she heard knocking. She wasn't easily scared but it was just her and burglars weren't the weakest people. But then she thought, why would a burglar knock. That's how she started thinking it could be a killer. Which terrified her even more. The knocking started again. Tzuyu was contemplating if she should see who that was. It could actually be Nayeon. The girl had many weird ideas so that wouldn't surprise Tzuyu. As the knocking started again she got up and made her way to the door. She was walking slowly, careful not to make a sound. When she was near the door a voice sounded from the other side.
"I know you are up. I can see the lights are on." Tzuyu recognized that voice. But she couldn't believe it was right. She took a quick look into the viewer and her heart stopped again. She opened the door as fast as she could and threw herself at the person waiting before the door. That felt like a feverish dream to her but she would take it because she wouldn't mind that type of dream.