Chapter 10 - Interlude (2)

Everything About Us
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

For the next two days, Chanyeol had nothing in his mind but the pretty secretary he’s been chasing for what seems like eternity.

Realizing that he won’t get anywhere if he would sulk on one corner and wallow in self-pity, Chanyeol had finally decided to make a move. He really, really likes Byun Baekhyun, and he might just go insane if he ends up with someone who’s not him.

One more reason for him to man up and earnestly pursue Baekhyun even more is his own secretary, who keeps on glancing at him with pity every time she enters his office to pass him some documents, as if rubbing on his face the fact that he had lost already. It riles him up to no end, but he could do nothing more but glare at his cheeky employee.

“Will you please stop looking at me like that, Secretary Son?”

The fifth time it happened that morning, he finally snapped. Seungwan looked guilty, but her boss’ irate mood did not stop her from clicking her tongue and speaking her mind.

“I’m sorry, alright? But in all my years of working for you, I’ve seen you pining after Baekhyun oppa,” she points out, arms crossed and one foot tapping the floor impatiently. “Yes, sometimes you look like a hopeless fool in love, but I’m on your side, you know. I’d hate it too if Baekhyun oppa ends up with someone else, that’s why it irks me that you’re not stepping up your game. The date is happening tonight, for crying out loud!”

The CFO remained silent, gawking at his secretary’s honest rambling. They might bicker and squabble at times, but Chanyeol knew that the other is very much loyal to him.

“Do you want to regret this all your life, boss? I mean, if I were you, I’d at least try to stop that date! And so what if Baekhyun oppa avoids you as if you have a contagious disease? You should prove to him that you’re serious about him, that no one and nothing can stop you from showing him your feelings! Aish, this is making me mad!”

Despite his dispirited state, Chanyeol couldn’t help but give a small smile to Seungwan. The woman just never backs down, and maybe her little pep talk is what Chanyeol needs to continue going after the love of his life.

“Don’t worry too much, Seungwan. I’ll really try my best this time.”

“You better! Go get Baekhyun oppa and live happily ever after before I lose my temper.”

Chanyeol chuckled as he watched his sassy secretary stomp out of his office.

***

 

 

“Baekhyun? Can I talk to you?”

Baekhyun flinched when he suddenly heard someone call him. He had been sure he was alone in the break room just moments ago. He turned away from the coffee maker to face the newcomer, whom he could easily recognize anywhere even just from the deep baritone voice.

“Mr. Park. Uhmm, do you need anything?”

He watched the CFO linger by the door for a moment, switching his weight from one foot to the other as if thinking hard of what to say.

“Can – Can I invite you for lunch? We can go out, or I can order in if you want,” Chanyeol offered with a small hopeful smile.

Not wanting to be rude but already resolved in turning down the invitation, Baekhyun bowed a little as he gave his answer. “Thank you, Mr. Park, but I already have plans to eat lunch with Wendy and the other secretaries. Perhaps another time?”

Chanyeol was not surprised with the rejection. It was always like this, after all. The secretary would politely decline, with an implication of ‘another time’ but would repeat the refusal the next time he would extend an invitation. Chanyeol was used to it by now, but that doesn’t mean it hurts any less.

“O-oh. I see. That’s fine. Next time, then,” he said, trying not to sound disappointed.

Seeing the dejected look on the CFO’s face, Baekhyun felt some guilt deep down in his gut. In his attempt to ease it down, he decided to offer the other a cup of coffee, then quickly face the coffee maker once again when Chanyeol nodded.

“Baekhyun”

“Hmm?”

“I like you.”

He stopped tinkering with the machine when he felt Chanyeol behind him, now much closer and mere inches away from his body.

“Please don’t say things you don’t really mean, Mr. Park,” he murmured, doing his best to keep his breathing steady despite the little distance between them.

“I really, really like you, Baekhyun. Why is that so hard for you to believe?”

Chanyeol was practically whispering in his ear now, his breath tickling his ski

Please log in to read the full chapter