Chapter 9 - Interlude (1)

Everything About Us
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Before Jiwon left her fiancé’s office, she had the chance to meet Chanyeol’s secretary who had just returned from her lunch break. Seungwan, or Wendy – as she liked to be called – is a gorgeous young lady with a bright personality. She was all smiles and giggles as she excitedly talked with the heiress, expressing how flattered she was to finally meet the CEO’s betrothed. More than a few times she uttered the phrase ‘You’re so pretty’, and Jiwon returned the compliment earnestly.

Chanyeol watched as the two women chatted and got to know each other through small talk.

“Oh, you’re missing an earring, Wendy,” Jiwon pointed out when she noticed that the secretary only had one dangling flower earring.

From behind, Chanyeol chortled.

“She’s not missing an earring, Jiwon. She usually wears just one and leaves the other pair at home. My secretary’s a bit eccentric like that,” the CFO answered.

“It’s my own fashion style so keep your comments to yourself, boss. I won’t hear any of it,” Wendy clapped back.

It was amusing to watch how Wendy seemed comfortable with sassing her boss. True enough, Jiwon gave the secretary a once-over when she first came in, taking in the sight of how casual she looked in a plaid long-sleeved dress, but her eyes settling on the pair of mismatched stilettos she was wearing. Yes, it looked a little eccentric, but somehow it worked. In all sincerity, she thought the secretary rocked it.

“Eccentric is good. I’m all for it, to be honest.”

Wendy gave her a big smile for what she had said. She went on to explain to Jiwon that it was one of her conditions with Chanyeol when she got hired as his secretary – that she could wear whatever she wanted at the office. Except for during meetings of course, wherein she’d comply with the appropriate corporate dress codes.

When it was time for Jiwon to leave, she reached out and hugged Seungwan and expressed that she would be delighted if the latter would come to the wedding. The secretary immediately agreed.

 

***

 

Chanyeol could still very well remember the day he chose Wendy to be his secretary.

It had been a stressful endeavour, and he did not expect that picking a secretary would be that difficult. First of all, most of the people from the secretarial department were women, and Chanyeol could not help but feel uncomfortable around each one of them. And he had good reason to feel that way, after politely sending the seventh candidate out of his office after she tried to not-so-subtly flirt with him by flashing her cleavage.

All of them were qualified and competent for the position, but he needs someone he can comfortably work with, not someone who’d use every opportunity to make googly eyes at him at the office.

The door of his office swung open slightly and Baekhyun’s head appeared as he peaked in.

“I’m sending the next candidate in, Mr. Park,” he said before bowing and closing the door again as he turned away.

A few seconds later a woman came in, giving him a curt smile as she bowed and stood in front of his desk. “Good day, Mr. Park. I’m Son Seungwan.”

“Nice to meet you, Ms. Son. Have a seat, please.”

The woman bowed again and sat down, and Chanyeol felt a little relieved that she hadn’t pulled any tricks or attempted to make a move on him like the previous ones.

He started scanning the file with Seungwan’s name on his table and was quite pleased to find that she had an impressive CV. Graduated top of her class, did well enough on her internship for a tech company overseas to earn a few recommendations, and her credentials has almost guaranteed her a spot in every company she applied for after finishing her degree. If things go well today, Chanyeol might finally be looking at his new secretary.

“I must say, you just might be the most qualified out of everyone I’ve interviewed today,” he started. “But it says here that you joined Kim Global only recently. So tell me one thing, Ms. Son. Why should I pick you?”

The CFO was trying to look and sound a little intimidating, seeing as to how the other would deal with it. If she tries to flirt like all the others did, then he would have no choice but to send her away no matter how incredible her qualifications are.

“With all due respect, Mr. Park, I think I’m the only one who’s not interested in trying to catch your attention. No offense but I actually don’t have the slightest bit of intention to flirt with you,” she said while looking the CFO straight in the eyes, as if she was able to read his mind.

Chanyeol couldn’t help but grin upon hearing her answer. At last, things were starting to look promising. “Really? Is that the truth?”

The lady nodded once and gave another earnest smile.

Earlier, Seungwan had heard the others talking among themselves about how they’d love to work closely with the handsome new CFO, to probably get to know him better and get the chance to catch his eye. A

Please log in to read the full chapter