let me love you in this tropical night

shall we love, like a tropical night of the summer?

"I wouldn't mind getting drenched with you," Eunbi beams, "I want to get drenched with you."

"So do I," the setting sun rays aren't brighter than Yuna's smile, as Eunbi sees them. 

"But you shouldn't," Eunbi remembers, "you shouldn't."

"No, I should-"

"You shouldn't," Eunbi cuts Yuna off sharply. “It’s not fair to you,” Eunbi reasons, “and it’s not right of me.”

The sky darkens; the sun is no longer visible, and the moon is clear.

Yuna releases a chuckle, but this time, it is filled with pain. 

Eunbi grimaces. She knows what she should not have said. However, Eunbi believes in spelling the truth out. 

“I know, you feel terrible that I have to clear up this mess you hold. But no, I’d willingly- gladly- and no, you’re not dumping any mess on me. Listen, your mess is your own. You’re handling it on your own. I just want to be here supporting you as you do so. Look, I’m not clearing your mess for you because there’s no way I can- there’s no way I can bring you any solution to your troubles even though I wish I could. But you’re strong enough, your solutions will come, and you’ll be able to handle your life you call a mess. And I just want to be beside you, hold your hand through the storms, and be proud of you when you overcome them,” the harsh outburst takes Eunbi aback. As much as Eunbi has been putting forth the verity of life between them. Eunbi finds that Yuna too has much to teach her, about reality. Eunbi knows that its main purpose is not to be harsh but to be an awakening call. 

“And just as you have your mess, I have mine too. And your presence is enough to help me through; I don’t mind another day of thunderstorms if it’s with you I’m spending it with. Though of course, like you, I don’t wish for you to go through my storms with me-

“We’ll go through that together,” Eunbi interrupts Yuna with the most affirmed voice that evening. “I’ll let you, if you let me,” Eunbi’s tiny frame rises and falls as she breathes.

“It took me only one summer to know I want to do this with you,” Yuna answers indirectly.

“How did you know, in only one summer?” Eunbi asks the question etched in her mind since their two hearts have begun to reflect each other. 

“As you know, what we feel is the same,” Yuna finds that her words are already mutually understood. “Plus, it was almost every day of you. That’s enough for me to know.”

“But do you know, the chaos you’re jumping into, and every bit of it?” 

Eunbi finds the answer on her own, as soon as the question leaves her lips.

“You know the answer, just as you have asked,” Yuna knows exactly what is on Eunbi’s mind.

“It’s uncanny to find someone who understands me all through, in just one summer,” Eunbi folds her arms as the late wind blows. 

“I know. And it’s uncanny how happy it makes me, to just be with one person, to just love a person,” Yuna takes a step forward, her eyes watching the darkening sky.

“You’re always here, I’m glad,” Yuna smiles as she turns to Eunbi. Eunbi turns as well, and Yuna reaches for the hand by Eunbi’s side. “You’re the magic that makes life a paradise.”

Eunbi’s eyes fall on her hand in Yuna’s tight grip. The touch warms Eunbi, even the early autumn winds that cause Eunbi to shiver in her light flannel does not bother her. She lets her fingers tighten around Yuna’s.

Yuna feels the bursting of fireworks in her heart. “I don’t want to thank you and make it seem like you’re doing me a favour, but-”

Eunbi pushes herself forward, crashing her lips onto Yuna’s. 

It takes a few seconds before Yuna’s eyelids flutter close; her strong arms bring Eunbi into an embrace, closing any distance between their bodies. Eunbi finds that she is exactly where she belongs; the taste of Yuna’s lips has an immeasurable sweetness, unprecedented and unbeatable.

They break off, panting, but their gazes remain locked. 

“Even though I can't do it well,” Eunbi takes a deep breath, “I love you.”

Looking into each others’ eyes, Yuna breathes, “I love you.”

 

Walking down the stairs with their fingers intertwined, Eunbi thinks aloud once again: “The change that happened this summer is unbelievable. This new me,” Eunbi pauses, “and us.”

Yuna smiles. “It was an ending, and a beginning.”