for so much of you, that i do not deserve

shall we love, like a tropical night of the summer?

“For the third time,” the breeze blows against her face and through her hair as the common visitor to the rooftop in evenings laments to her older companion.

“It’s okay, Eunbi, you know that your life doesn’t depend on that,” as frank or candid as the words may sound, the mutual understanding between the two hearts create no hard feelings from the honesty. 

Eunbi wants to thank Yuna for reminding her that. She combs her right hand through her hair, gazes into the distance and squints her eyes at the settling sun. 

“You’re right, it doesn’t, but my life’s a mess. Three times of that, toppled with so much other . Okay, I won’t say that there were a lot of situations or things that happened I’d wish to erase, but those few- however few- are enough to make me want to delete the entire summer without a trace.

“It’s the third time this season. And it hit me the worst. Endless tears and loud, ugly bawling while home alone on the floor isn’t the best situation anyone would end up in. Of course, it’s not easy getting over that,” Eunbi releases a frustrated sigh. 

“It’s never easy to get over failures,” Yuna coaxes, “give yourself some time.”

“This season, it ended yesterday. But I’m still thinking, what on earth was the meaning of it? I was looking forward to it in the spring. But now that I think of it, spring was a happy season- I wouldn’t even compare the summer with it,” more spiteful statements leave Eunbi’s pink lips. 

“A few setbacks doesn’t mean your summer was terrible,” Yuna’s voice remains placid, well-performing in its responsibility of consoling the younger one in her troubles. 

Eunbi knows that Yuna knows how she feels, but expresses herself anyway: “Those words are easier said than believed.”

Yuna takes no offence in Eunbi’s dejection and misery. A look of pity flashes transiently in her eyes; she knows she should not show any pity for Eunbi is strong.

“Think about it,” Yuna urges her, “there are definitely times you were happy and would want to repeat. Times of laughter, smiles and good company.”

Eunbi falls silent. She thinks of her many novel experiences and encounters in the season. She thinks of the fluttering in her heart and the excitement, the thrills that make her squirm and shut her eyes close. Once again, Yuna’s words evoke thought in her that evening, as if paving a thinking outline for her. 

“This summer, we met,” for the first time that night, a distressed sentence comes from Yuna instead.

“We did,” Eunbi nods, in full agreement of Yuna’s point.

“I don’t see how your setbacks can undermine the impact of this on your summer,” however arrogant Yuna might sound, the two only take her words as a matter of fact.

“It was so much of you, this summer,” Eunbi proceeds to substantiate the point, without any attempt to refute the argument.

“But I feel sorry, for dumping my mess on you. You don’t deserve this- nor do you have the obligation to have to handle this mess right into meeting me. You don’t. I’m sorry you had to deal with this,” Eunbi turns and looks up at the taller girl beside her. She remembers, now, how Yuna has always been beside her, ready on her call anytime, and always quick to understand her. 

Nevertheless, Eunbi’s heart is sour, more apologetic than grateful. 

"You dumped nothing on me. It was by choice, that I want to stick with you. I wish you'd let me," Yuna's voice sounds much like a plea. 

"I did, sometimes knowingly, sometimes not. And when I did it knowingly, I told myself that it's okay for you with a big heart, but underlying that, I know I'm just selfish and greedy," Eunbi continues to pour out the negativity in her heart. 

"You know that I want to," Yuna's eyes lie on Eunbi's swaying locks.