Ch.9

The Proposal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shall I Stay

words: 5238

 

Much to no ones surprise (in fact it was a bit expected considering the participants) Donghae proposes to Hyukjae on the Eve of the new year. Also to no ones shock, Hyukjae accepts this time. The now neon-to-black haired man vigorously refused to tell the juicy details of said proposal but with how endearing Donghae’s smile was—enough to rival the Sun—maybe it’s a tale that is best untold. Besides, Jungsoo has a great imagination and a part of him likes to think the younger boy had taken his advice and went all out. The infamous, now couple, had wanted a wedding as soon as humanly possible. Everyone had laughed, but Jungsoo, being the homebody he is, had already started planning their wedding probably before Donoghue even had the thought of marrying Hyukjae. Sometimes you win, and no one won as big as he did when s-like-sons decided to be bonded in holy matrimony. Indeed, Jungsoo had won the whole jackpot.

 

It’s honestly a shame he couldn’t accept Hyukjae’s proposition of being a groomsman, but someone had to host the wedding and to be quite frank Jungsoo wants to soak up the picture of the happy couple from the safety of his seat. He absolutely hates crying, and he doesn’t want Shindong capturing him on video crying his heart out. It’s bad enough when Donghae had asked him to walk him down the aisle. It’s not a common tradition to give the groom away but Jungsoo understood why. He understands wanting a father-figure to be there and when the younger had asked him he absolutely crushed the singer in his embrace.

 

Sure, he may have a thin frame but Jungsoo will be damned if he didn’t pour every ounce of love and happiness into that hug. And, as he held a crying Donghae, Jungsoo prayed that the boy’s father was watching from heaven and wanted him to know his son had grown into a loving man. Jungsoo likes to think Donghae’s father never doubted the type of man his son would be.

 

Shaking his head, brunette hair falling in front of his eyes, he furiously tries to blink away any tears that threaten to fall. He can be a mess later; he has a job to do right now.

 

Jungsoo flitters about the beach, checking in on DJ and other crew, a clipboard in hand as he slowly checks down items on the list. Turns out the fastest a human can put together a lavish wedding is in approximately two months of the proposal date. It’s a good thing that not only does Jungsoo enjoy being retentive but also that Hawaii is always warm. Stepping back a little, he mentally—oh what the hell—he physically gives himself a pat on the back for a job well done. The beach venue is beautiful and secluded away from any prying eyes, a path of asymmetrical stones leading to a small stage that’s framed by a beautiful white archway. Hanging from the woven wood are tiny fairylights, currently twinkling in the late afternoon sun. Despite how beautiful a beach wedding is, the reception is taking place at a nearby hotel. Jungsoo had deemed it a bit inconvenient trying to eat with birds and such trying to snatch away people’s food. So, as he makes a quick call to the hotel making sure everything is in order for later tonight, his eyes take one final sweep across the staff to make sure everything is in order.

 

“You have enough cameras here Shindong,” the leader questions in amusement as he hangs up. One thing Donghae and Hyukjae greatly expressed was their wish for minimal cameras. Of course they wanted pictures and a video, but they didn’t want the wedding to be a spectacle. “You know Hae said two tripods maximum.”

 

Donghee just shakes his head. “But you want to get every good angle! That kid, he never understands my vision,” the brunette finishes wiping away a non-existent tear. “It’s bad enough he shot down my drone idea. How cool would that have been, hyung?”

 

Jungsoo just laughs. “Maybe for a music video, but I don’t know about a wedding. Just make sure to tick the third tripod away, you know how Donghae has been a stickler lately about everything being perfect.” The duo shiver a bit at a certain memory of a very pissed off fish when it was found out a certain type of flower Hyukjae wanted for the reception tables were not available. Luckily, Siwon, like the righteous son of God he was, was able to deliver even better flowers.

 

“Yeah, he’s been a real lately. Is there a guy version of ‘Bridezilla’? A ‘Groomzilla’?”

 

“If not Donghae can be the first one,” Jungsoo jokes, “but it’s good to know he cares so much. Oh, speaking of which I have to check on the grooms-to-be. I’ve already called for food to be delivered for you and the crew.”

 

Donghee nods as he sets his sights on continuing to fiddle with his expensive camera.

*

“Oh god, I can’t believe this is really happening. Do I look too fat? Too thin? Do you think the suit will even fit? Dammit Heechul, why did I let you talk me into getting a size up?” Hyukjae wails as he tries his damnedest to wear a tread on the hotel room floor. Heechul thinks the carpet is a little too gaudy anyway so it’s fine. Sora gently reaches out for her brother and practically yanks him back to sit down on the bed. The lanky man goes without much of a fight; Heechul tries not to snicker. He fails anyways.

 

“You’re the one who said you wanted to get thicker for your new year’s resolution. Two c’s thick, plus I’m sure you fill out the suit nicely.”

 

“Ughh, I told you that when I was drunk! I swear I gained too much weight. What if Hae doesn’t want to marry me?”

 

“Hyukkie,” Sora says plaintively, “I’m sure you and Donghae have had already. He wouldn’t care if you’re too fat or thin. Have you seen the way he looks at you? He’d buy the moon for you if he could, fat or not.”

 

Heechul notices Hyukjae has enough dignity to look embarrassed at the accusation. It’s not like the walls at the dorm are necessarily thick and Kyuhyun’s retold some horror stories. It seems that Hyukjae’s mother isn’t buying it either as she just awkwardly laughs when her son looks at her with the biggest puppy-dog eyes.


“Mom, don’t listen to her. I’m a good, Christian son, and I would never have before marriage!”

 

“Oh, honey, I thought I taught you better than to lie?”

 

The comment causes Hyukjae’s skin to turn pinker than any makeup blush, the red creeping up his ears and down his neck.

 

God, Heechul can’t help but want to bottle this overwhelming feeling of love as he tackles Hyukjae on the bed. He fully ignores the indignant squawking under him. To think, just a year and a half ago his two brothers weren’t even dating. Years of unconfessed love and pining have been building up to this moment and every moment going forward. Heechul buries his face against Hyukjae’s neck and tries his best not to cry because he’s planning on bawling like a baby during the actual vows. He can’t afford losing one drop of pure, undiluted happiness. Instead, he peels himself away from the groom as the door opens to reveal a makeup-noona and a grinning Soonkyu in tow.

 

“What’s this? You’re not all dolled up yet! I just came back from Donghae’s room and let me tell you,” the short woman rambles, stepping inside, foot kicking the door shut as she raises her eyebrows up and down suggestively, “you two make a very handsome pair. Good for you, hooking a man like that.”

 

As if the pale man couldn’t look any more red, he turns to a shade of cooked lobster.

 

“Yah, Sunny, I hope you don’t plan showing up like a beggar. Did you only bring clothes you wear when you’re at home alone,” Heechul tuts out as he gingerly fixes his blonde hair.

 

The red head just rolls her eyes as she adjusts her sweatshirt. “Those are some big words coming from someone who always dresses up like a convict on the run.”

 

Heechul moves from the bed to the floor as the makeup-noon sets down her stuff and starts to work her magic on Hyukjae.

 

“Ok, why does everyone say this outfit makes me look like a prisoner? I can break out the neon green one if that’s better,” he huffs indignantly, arms crossing against his chest as Soonkyu pointedly ignores him to chat with Sora.

 

The makeup takes up a good chunk of time despite how both Donghae and Hyukjae wanted a very minimal look. In between the quiet pauses of conversation and small grunts from Hyukjae, Heechul thinks back to how beautifully the two have grown. His heart swells akin to a proud parent and only then, in the whole two months to help plan the wedding, does Heechul allow himself to feel the tiniest bit sad about his lack of starting a family. It’s only for a split-second, however; because soon his thoughts fill with the anticipation of seeing his two younger brothers walking down the isle.

 

It was shocking when Sungmin married first considering Donghae has always talked about marrying and having a family. But Heechul’s kind of glad that Donghae had to wait in order to literally marry his best-friend who he’s known for over a decade. To think, the shy, passionate kid who used to be afraid of cameras fifteen years ago would be third to marry out of their group.

 

Heechul’s thoughts flitter to Hyukjae and despite their initial awkward relationship, a warmth unfurls in the singer’s stomach as he recalls the day Hyukjae asks him to be his best-man. It was the same day Donghae had proposed. He remembers the moment vividly, like it had just happened yesterday. He was out celebrating with some of the members, having drinks and eating. Hyukjae had called him, yelling and talking as fast as he raps. It honestly took him a while to figure out what the younger was saying, and by the time Heechul had understood he shouted out the statement to the whole restaurant. Jungsoo had to yank him back down and scold him, but soon the other members were quickly asking if Hyukjae had said yes. ‘Of course, hyung!’ Hyukjae laughed over the speaker, ‘How cruel would it be to turn him down a second time?’ When Heechul mouthed ‘he said yes’ to the rest of the members, he watched as everyone quickly devolved into a mess.

 

Kyuhyun, being the wine-holic he is, pointed a finger up at the ceiling and then chugged the remainder of his wine. Whatever the youngest had said to God was between him and the big man, so Heechul just smiled. Yesung wailed for a good bit afterwards while Ryeowook was left to comfort everyone.

 

Heechul didn’t cry until Hyukjae had asked for him to be his bestman.

*

“Okay, I just got done checking up on Hyuk. I don’t want to say anything but has he gotten more beautiful? Because if I was gay I would definitely—” Siwon stops rambling as Donghae sends a particularly murderous glare his way, and because the tall man has a sense of self preservation, he bites his tongue and holds up his hands. “No offense, Hyukjae isn’t my type. Not that he’s bad or anything! He’s great, really, I wish I was marrying him too!”

 

Donghwa, Donghae’s brother, laughs so much that a tear escapes his similar sad-looking eyes. Donghae just shakes his head as the older man roughly pats his back. “Don’t be so overprotective, Hae, you know how Hyukjae gets when you treat him like you’re his property.”

 

Donghae just groans and rolls his shoulders. The buttoned white shirt crinkles in protest at the movements. “I know, sorry guys I know I haven’t been the easiest to be with the past few months but I just. I just love him so much, you know,” the man finishes with a small blush.

 

Siwon tries not to laugh at the clear embarrassment written on the brunette’s face. Despite how hard the singer works out now, muscles firm and menacing, deep inside he’s still like a child.

 

“Teukie-hyung said we’ll want to head down in about an hour-and-a-half. He also said that during the reception try to go around and greet everyone, okay? Just to be polite.” Siwon finishes as he tries to wrack his brain for any missing piece of information.

 

Youngwoon gives a small scoff from the other side of the room. “Please, Teukie doesn’t need to worry about that. Just try and stop Donghae from flinging himself onto everyone during the reception,” the older man finishes with a smirk. Siwon just shakes his head and grins because of course, this is Donghae they were talking about. As said brunette whines under the teasing, Siwon stands quietly as Donghwa musses up the singer’s long locks. It’s a little jarring to be standing in the same room as his best-friend, a best-friend who is going to marry his other best-friend of the same . Maybe in the past

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter