CH.5

The Proposal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Spilt Milk

words: 3043

 

“Seriously Siwon, I can’t believe you! You knew that Hae’s fiancé was a guy and didn’t even tell me,” Hyukjae wails as he spins in the barbershop chair next to his former best-friend.

 

Siwon raises a bushy brow as he pins Hyukjae’s stare with his own in the mirror. “You want to shout that a little louder, hyung? I don’t think the people in Europe could hear you.” Siwon goes back to opening his newspaper, like the old man he is Hyukjae thinks, showing more of an interest in current events than Hyukjae’s problems. “Besides, I thought that was Donghae?”

 

Oops, did he say that part out loud?

 

“God, don’t even bring his name up right now,” Hyukjae grouses as he puffs out his cheeks and crosses his arms. Sure, he’s being childish but considering everyone in the group acts no better than a five year old he thinks he deserves to be able to act up. Not like it’s bad enough that the dark haired brunette dropped a metaphorical bomb on them yesterday but now everyone’s playing a part in Donghae’s wedding but him.

 

The group chat was blowing up the day after they went out for drinks (which Hyukjae kind of -out most of it, although from what he’s gathered from other members he didn’t so much as peep while he was drunk) bragging about their part in the wedding ceremony. Shindong was going to videotape the whole ceremony, which was a good choice he admits. Heechul and Ryeowook took over food. Yesung had dibs on taking pictures, and of course Kyuhyun wanted to sing. Hyukjae groans again and tilts his head back as he stares at the fluorescent lights that line the ceiling. Donghae might as well deliver the final blow and feed him to some stray alley-cats because he’s definitely chopped liver at this point. A very bitter, salty, chopped liver.

 

“Don’t be so dramatic, Hyuk, Donghae knows what he’s doing.”

 

Hyuk groans again as he wriggles his body on the black upholstery—semi sticky and uncomfortable like all hairdresser chairs he’s been in. “Who cares about Donghae! What about me? I’m supposed to be his best-friend and he hasn’t told me anything about the person he’s proposing too.” He turns to Siwon, eyes wide and very much pathetic, but huffs when the man’s attention isn’t on him. “Yah, I’m trying to open up here,” Hyukjae whines as he reaches over and snatches the newspaper from unsuspecting hands.

 

“Hey, you gave me a papercut!”

 

“Whatever, nymm, you deserved it.” Hyukjae sticks his tongue back in his mouth and folds the newspaper on his lap.

 

Siwon’s never been a match for how annoying Hyukjae can be, and the latter thanks his lucky stars each day about that. So, the taller man gives up.

 

“If I wanted an annoying brat to be with me when I got my hair bleached, I would’ve asked Kyuhyun or Ryeowook to come along.”

 

“But you asked me, so entertain me and listen,” Hyukjae grins much like a cat who caught it’s Jerry. “It’s just unfair that you know everything.”

 

“That’s because I’m the best-ma-“

 

Hyukjae cuts off the remark with another agonized groan. “Please, don’t remind me.”

 

“Sorry,” Siwon replies not looking sorry in the slightest, “Hae wants me to keep it a secret for now. Just trust me, everything will be fine so don’t be mad at Donghae?”

 

Hyukjae opens his mouth to complain once more, but snaps it shut as the hairdresser comes back to check on Siwon’s hair. Hyukjae sits silently, watching the woman’s movements through the mirror as she peeks under the hair cap. He fidgets, unsure what to do and feeling a little guilty as he’s taking up a seat for a possible client. Siwon’s words weren’t entirely untrue, although Hyukjae definitely wants to argue against them. He knows he hasn’t been the best person to the fish lately, even before his confession yesterday: giving him the cold shoulder, ignoring his texts, locking him out of his dorm just to name a few. Hyukjae rubs a soft hand against his weary face. Even Jungsoo, after the little fainting spell, fully supported Donghae. In fact, all of the members showered Donghae with words of congratulations. For some reason though…

 

“I can’t be happy for him,” Hyukjae softly admits to his reflection. Maybe his mirror self already knew that and was just waiting for confirmation.

 

Siwon takes his newspaper back, but not before placing a reassuring hand on top of Hyukjae’s. “Hyung, you don’t like seafood, right?”

 

“Of course, I hate seafood.”

 

“But you like fish?”

 

Hyukjae sends reflection Siwon a raised eyebrow. “Where is this going? Of course I still like fish, who doesn’t like fish?”

 

“Okay, what if one day you were sick and tired of fish? Do you ever think you’d stop eating fish forever?”

 

“What,” Hyukjae scoffs as he crosses his legs. The hairdresser looks equally as puzzled judging from her furrowed brows, either that or Siwon’s hair is a total disaster. Hyukjae kind of hopes it’s the latter. “I could never get tired of fish. That’s like half of the meat I eat.”

 

Siwon smiles and for some reason Hyukjae really wants to slap it off. “Good, just remember that you like fish.”

 

“Are you the riddler now or something?”

 

“It’s more of a metaphor,” Siwon adds unhelpfully. Hyukjae simply rolls his eyes at the weird conversation and chalks it up to just Siwon, well, being weird.

 

“Also, please let Donghae back into your apartment, he keeps bugging me that you hate him.”

 

“I don’t hate him…I mean he’s not my favourite right now.”

 

“Just…talk to him, okay? You’re still his best-friend,” Siwon finishes off all soft and smiley. “Also, is bleaching hair supposed to hurt?

*

On the day of their jacket filming for their newest album Time Slip, Hyukjae makes a point not to be left alone with Donghae. If that means he has to endure Yesung talking his ear off, then so be it. He actually kind of misses having photoshoots with everyone present, almost everyone he finds himself thinking a bit sadly as the day wears on. He wonders if they’ll ever be whole again, but as fast as the thoughts come they go. He cannot appear sad right now, not when Kyuhyun’s finally back and in an album with them.

 

As expected, the jacket shooting with all of them takes an hour longer than expected. Soon after it ends though, the energy from being in front of cameras wears off as everyone piles into the waiting room for individual shots. Hyukjae notices the cameras for SJ Returns training on Donghae and smiles.

 

“Ooh, what’cha looking at,” Heechul’s voice is suddenly right next to him and Hyukjae bite

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter