Chrysanthemum - Contentment and Happiness

Rightest (VIXX Hongbin Fanfiction)

Hongbin opened his eyes slowly as he felt the rays of sunlight on his cheeks. Sitting down slowly, he let out a content sigh before turning his attention towards his window. 

Before even cleaning his self up, Hongbin pushed his windows open, meeting the fresh breeze outside of their house. The male on his mid twenties smiled cheekily as he stared down at the lively streets of Mestre Carpenedo, where his family moved for a much more affordable housing.

As he did so, his eyes turned sad when a certain something caught his line of vision. If before, she looked so bright and lively, her thorns prickling him when he wants to touch her, this time, marked her fall. Her usually sharp thorns turning into dried fibers of her. 

"Its alright. You've survived well this past months, Madonna." Hongbin uttered, getting the cactus' pot to carry inside his room. 

Today, marked Madonna's fall. Her last breaths was probably used for her survival through the cold night. I could not blame her though, living in a country where Autumn and Winter exist, it will be very hard to adjust to the ever-changing climate. 

My family moved here in Venice after high school, when my father became a regular employee in his job. Where does he work? Well, he works under a glass production company, and I must say, the pay is not a joke. As for my mother, she was a fun of flower arrangement ever since she was in high school, one of the main reason why she chose to open up a flower shop beneath our house. 

Beneath? Yes beneath. We are living in a two-floored small house, bought from the real estate. While the first floor served as the shop, the second floor became our official house. 

--

Hongbin climbed down the stairs, meeting both his parents in the shop looking very busy. 

"Oh, Hongbin-ah." His father said, casually sipping on his coffee. The youngest in the family regarded his father a nod, continuing towards the kitchen to probably prepare himself a breakfast.

"He's up?" Mrs Lee asked her husband to which the man nodded, craning her neck to search for her only son. "Hingbin-ah!" She called when she didn't find success in what she was doing earlier. 

"Yes?" The male stepped out of the kitchen into the shop while munching butter toast, a cup of coffee on one hand. 

Mrs. Lee smiled at her dearest, looking cute despite his age. "Could you please be a sweetie and deliver these to the university?" She pointed at some bouquet. "I can't get out because I'm very busy preparing for the film festival, its just around the corner. Pretty please, mom will buy you an incentive later." She pouted. 

Hongbin looked at his mother for a while before shaking his head no. "I'm going out to do something for Madonna. She died today." He answered only to have his mother gasping in shock. "She died?" He nodded, grimly. "Oh my, I'm sorry to hear that, Hongbinnie." She looked quite guilty hearing it from her son. His father however, stood up in alarm. "Who's dead?! Who's Madonna?!" He exchanged his glances at his son and his wife simultaneously, demanding answers.

Mrs. Lee giggled at his reaction, turning to him as he hugged her son close. 

"Yeobo. The cactus you bought Hongbin last summer died today. Her name is Madonna." She explained carefully, patting her son's back comfortingly. 

"Oh," at this Mr. Lee sat back down on his sit, embarrassed. Both Hongbin and his mother shared a laugh, looking at the family head. 

"Omma, I'll go buy something real quick and I'll deliver the flowers for today, OK?" He announced before quickly pecking his mother's cheek which caused her off guard and off he went.

He was content about their simple life, and he was happy.

--

Hongbin proceeded to the nearby boutique to buy things needed for his plan in mind. Quickly purchasing the materials he needed, he find it difficult housing the materials on his bike's basket. He huffed. 

"Should I just carry these?" He mumbled. "That would be difficult." He followed. 

Soon, he decided to take two trips towards his home by bringing the smaller things first and then coming back for the Cork board he bought. 

Back at his room, Hongbin search for a spot on the wall where he could possibly install the board. He rubbed his chin carefully, letting out a sound of disapproval whenever he saw a free spot. 

"That's too small."

"It would be awkward placing it there."

"The light will be blocked." He shook his head no when a stupid thought of covering the windows made its way inside his head. 

"Hongbin-ah, are you done yet?" His mother's voice sounded from below and he rolled his eyes. "I'm coming!" He quickly answered before deciding to lean the board on his bed, "I'll come back for you later." He looked at the cork before completely going out of the room. 

--

"Room 401, Room 402, ah there it is. Room 403." Hongbin smiled brightly when he finally spotted the door he was looking for. He was at the university, delivering a bouquet of chrysanthemum which his mother had difficulty arranging taking in consideration the size of the floral. He knocked on the door, a sound behind the door overpowering the rap of his knuckles. He frowned, they must be enjoying their selves behind the door. 

"How would they know I'm here?" He mumbled. An idea hit him suddenly. "Should I peak through the windows?" He beamed at his self. 

Soon, the guy found himself walking to the side of the door, peaking inside the room. He spotted someone nearby, so he decided to knock on the door once more. 

He successfully caught the student's attention, for she turned around and spotted the flower guy, pointing at the bouquet of flowers he was carrying. 

--

Hongbin rode his bike, before getting his Delivery Checklist inside his bag, quickly pressing his pen, he placed a check mark beside the customer's name. "I'm done for today," he mumbled as placed all his things back inside his bag.

Soon, he was pedaling on the main road, feeling the soft breeze brought by autumn at that time of the year. 

--

"Ah, omma," Hongbin whined, pulling his hair out in frustration. "That was like, 'the other side of the globe!'" He quoted in the air, showing her pure disagreement over the idea. "Just how am I supposed to go there? I can't ride my bike in water ways, can I?" He complained. 

"Why is kid like this?" Mrs. Lee started. "Of course you'll be riding a gondola instead!" She argued back. 

"Ah, really. I'm getting late for work. Riding a gondola is slower than riding a bike!" He tried his best to not bang his head on the wall. The old woman released a long sigh before looking at her sulking child, placing her hands on her hips. 

"If you already went the first time I asked you, you're probably on your workplace by now!" 

Lee Hongbin never wanted anything else that time but to bang his head on the wall.

--

Hongbin immediately rushed inside the Cafe, he was seriously late for work. He checked his wristwatch. 

1:47

His shift has long started but he was late for almost two hours, he's seriously in trouble again. 

He stopped on his tracks when he saw the familiar bald head waiting behind the counter. For a moment there, he seriously wanted nothing more than to turn back around and go home instead. 

He's a dead meat. 

He smiled uneasily at the cafe owner, bowing slightly to show him his sincerity. Mr. Thompson seemed like he was not pleased with what happened. Well, who would be? He knew delivering flowers would get him late. 

"Why are you late?" The owner asked him first thing, when Hongbin intended to walk past him sneakily. He looked up at him. "I'm sorry," he bowed slightly. 

The owner placed his hands on his hips. "And that's it? You are late and you're only going to say you're sorry?! What about the over time you're coworker did, are you going to pay for it?! You're always late everyday!" He whispered yelled at the younger. Hongbin bowed again. 

"I'm sorry. Something just came up at home. It won't happen again, I promise." He explained, to which the old guy scoffed. 

"This shouldn't happen again. You should know how to manage your time, matters in the house is not the same as the matters at work. Remember that, kid!"

After that, Hongbin was allowed to enter the facility and start his shift for the day. 

--

During his shift, he encountered different kinds of customers. Kind ones, rude ones, and even strange ones. Just like the girl he noticed that kept looking at him. He thought she needed something so he approached her. 

He was bewildered when she told him she doesn't need anything at all. 

Why was she staring then?

Right after the incident, he took his time to study the flushed girl. She was actually cute, and she looked Asian just like him. The luggage's on her side didn't go unnoticed as well. She must be a tourist, he thought. 

She was looking outside, probably embarrassed but Hongbin found himself admiring the way she looked at the people on the streets, casually taking pictures of them in her digicam sometimes on her polaroid. 

What she was doing is something simple and childish, but it was enough to bright up her face as if she has reached cloud nine. At this, Hongbin too, started contentment and happiness in his chest, resulting in a smile so wide his cheeks hurt. All of a sudden, the events where the Mr. Thompson scolded him didn't matter anymore. 

A group of customers calling his attention brought Hongbin's focus back to reality. He took their orders just like how he was trained to do so. Showcasing hospitality, and showing off a wide yet sincere smile. He took a little longer to obtain their orders though when they started asking for suggestions and what if's about their food choice. 

The waiter was given a break when the group decided to discuss what to get among their selves. Hongbin used this chance to glance back up at the customer from the farthest side of the room, whom he found enjoyment in observing earlier. Only this time, she was nowhere to be found. 

Must have proceeded to her journey. 

"Excuse me?" He looked down to the group, finally jotting down their orders. He left the group with a bright smile and a small bow before proceeding to the counter, giving the cashier their food selection.

--

Hongbin stepped out of the cafe, stretching his limbs that went stiff from leaning down too much, whenever he jot down orders, or tidy the tables. He smiled again, observing people simultaneously crossing the streets and hailing cabs. He too, would be needing a cab to go home today because he left his bicycle at home but he decided he'd walk a little from here. 

While walking, Hongbin studied the place. Venice is indeed beautiful. The place screamed healing. He tucked his hands inside his hoodie's pocket, looking up the building he passed by. He also inhaled the scent from different restaurants lingering in the air. 

It would have been better if he brought his bike with him. Oh well, he could go strolling again next time anyway. 

He watched as the sky transitioned from a cerulean blue to reddish orange, signalling the setting of the sun. He fished put his phone inside one pocket and snapped a photo of it, a thing he copied from the customer earlier. He wasn't fond of taking pictures as he was someone who prefers to feel than to see. But, maybe, there isn't anything wrong with wanting to see, right?

--

Hongbin arrived at home later than usual, witnessing his parents being lovey-dovey inside the shop. He looked up the clock,

9:45

Fifteen minutes before the shop would close. No matter why the two lovebirds are at it already. Mrs Lee was the first one to react when she saw him enter. "How was it earlier? Were you able to deliver the flowers?" She asked, cupping his cheek to direct his gaze on her. Hongbin nodded before letting out his voice.

"I got fired from work, I came in late," he said. His mother's hands cupping his cheek fell to her side and he used this chance to step inside their house. 

He jumped in surprise when he heard his mom let out a wail. Quickly sensing what was coming he run towards his room immediately, his father's shout the only thing he heard before he locked his bedroom door.

"You made her cry again, Hongbin-ah!" 

--

Hongbin opened his window letting the cold air hit his skin, flinching quickly, before he placed his pocket WiFi at the window pane. He looked at his laptop's screen, waiting for something. He was supposed to close the windows when suddenly, the face of his old friend appeared in the screen. "Oh!" He exclaimed, finally letting go of the WiFi on the window.

"Hongbin-ah!" Wonshik waved his hands frantically on the screen, earning him a wide grin from the guy at Venice. "Hold on a second," he announced, reaching for a sweater beneath his bed. 

Quickly covering his self up, Hongbin sat up in front of his laptop, finally waving back at Wonshik, his friend in Seoul. 

"How was it in Venice?" Wonshik asked, trying his best to look behind Hongbin. At this, the younger looked behind him too, humming softly before he looked back at the screen to answer, "I don't know. Still Venice, I guess." He laughed when his friend frowned at him. 

"Still Venice, you're one lucky bastard, Hongbin-ah. You shouldn't keep The city's beauty all for yourself." Wonshik complained. "Ah, by the way." Wonshik announced. "I have something for you..." He wiggled his brows at the younger guy who waited in anticipation. 

"Tadah!" Wonshik exclaimed. "I've got you a zinnia." He twirled the flower right in front on the screen. "What do you say? Huh? Is it pretty?"

Hongbin laughed in disbelief. "Why? Are you planning to ask me the meaning of that flower again?" 

The one on the other end looked quite offended. "What the, you really are something, aren't you!" The older pointed at him. "This is for you!" He accused. 

Hongbin laughed again, nodding his head this time. "OK, ok. I get it. That zinnia is for me. Sorry for being ungrateful." He nodded, still chuckling as he joined his two hands in a praying position. "Thank you, Wonshik." He finished. 

The former looked at him. "Do you even know what this means?" Hongbin smirked. "Don't test me."

"Oooh, I want to test you kid."

Hongbin sighed. "You're thinking, of an absent friend." He raised one brow at him. "Satisfied?"

At this, wonshik covered his mouth n awe. "You, you really are something, you know that?" He laughed. "If science has Einstein, Flowers have you!" The two ended up laughing at their jokes. 

Hongbin was the first one to recover, "seriously, though. I thought you're going to ask me for flower meanings again." He smiled. Wonshik looked down in embarrassment before answering him. "Well, I don't think I'll ever ask your help for flowers anymore."

The one from Venice tilted his head. "Why? Isn't your new girlfriend fond of flowers?" He asked. 

The former smiled a little. "Its not that she doesn't like them. She's allergic to pollen." Hongbin's mouth formed an 'O' at this. So that's why. 

"So you never once gave her flowers, did you?" He urged. The older answered with a shake of his head, before sighing. "That's better though. So I wouldn't have to think about her when I'm with Yoonhee." 

Hongbin finally nodded at this. "You're right." He looked up at his friend's sullen face in hopes of brightening up the mood. "Wonshik-ah, if you really missed me, and is thinking of me. Grow me a cactus, please. Madonna died yesterday." He announced. 

Wonshik looked at him as if he had grown two heads. "Cactus? Hongbin-ah, its getting in cold in here too. No cactus or Madonna would survive in here." 

Hongbin pouted a little before nodding his head. "You're right." He was just trying to lighten up the mood anyway. "Are you going to work now?" He started. 

Wonshik looked behind him, and then turned to the screen again. He nodded once, "I guess so. You should book a flight and go on a vacation here." He said which made Hongbin smile. 

"I'll do that when I got the chance to!" He exclaimed, waving at the older guy goodbye before finally turning off the video call. 

He rolled over his bed to study his ceiling when he remembered a distant memory with his friend. 

--

"Hongbin-ah." Wonshik exclaimed excitedly through the screen. The said name looked at him sestranged with the reaction, munching on his butter toast. "We just called each other last night. Why are you acting as if we having reached each other for a decade." Hongbin laughed. 

The guy behind the screen shook his head. "Here's the thing. I met this very beautiful girl in College." The younger nodded. "I like her." He nodded once more. 

"Ah, bwoyah," Wonshik whined. "even if you don't care, please pretend that you do, OK? This is my love life I'm sharing with you." Hongbin looked at him this time. "What do you want?" 

"I think I'm in love." 

"I think you're crazy."

"Hongbin-ah!"  The older guy whined again. "Love at first sight? Bull." He squeaked. At this, the older guy pouted. "Fine, ridicule me! You wouldn't because you never went to college." 

"Oh, yeah. I don't go to college anymore, but I'm way more level-headed than you are!" He barked. He re munching his toast, observing Wonshik in his peripheral. "Come on, Hongbin-ah, help me just this once." 

Hongbin glared at the screen. "What do you want me to do?! If you like her that much give her flowers you pabo!" He snarled. Seriously, why is he dragging Hongbin into his love life?!

Both still from what Hongbin said. The two blinked at each other before Wonshik smiled so bright, it disgusted the younger. 

"Would she like it?" 

"I don't know. I'm not her. But don't all girls love flowers though?" Hongbin shrugged his shoulders. 

Since then, the old friend continuously asked for the younger's help when it comes to picking flowers for his love interest. Soon, Wonshik learned that flowers help meaning with them, finding it interesting how plants could actually light up a maiden's face.

"You give her Gloxinia." Hongbin huffed. "Why are you so obsessed with the love at first sight thing?!" 

"Apple Blossom would be the best choice into telling her to like her strongly." Hongbin munch his butter toast one afternoon, looking at Wonshik bored. 

"A four-leaf clover would do. You told me she's a simple girl." Hongbin explained carefully, showing Wonshik how a clover looks like. "Confessing is a hard thing to do by the way." 

"Just ship it here!" 

"What?! No! My mom would kill me!" 

Soon, Hongbin found it in himself to like what he was doing. Helping his old friend with his love life. This may sound cheesy, but the thought of choosing flowers and searching for their meaning made the two closer, almost as if Hongbin never left Korea. 

"Wonshik-ah, what you're holding. Isn't that..." Hongbin faltered. 

"Ah, this?" Wonshik raised the Trumpet Flower he was holding. "Its a trumpet flower, right." 

Hongbin never dared nod his head even if he knew exactly what it was. He looked at his calendar before turning to the screen once more. 

"But, today is supposed to be your anniversary..." Hongbin mumbled, anger raising up his system. The guy from the screen chuckled sheepishly, raising his free hand to rub his nape.

The younger scoffed. "You find this funny?" Anger laced in his voice which caused the older to look up. 

"Hongbin-ah, let me explain." He pleaded. "The spark. I can't seem to feel it inside me anymore." He started.

Hongbin nodded before glaring at the guy. "So you decide to leave her. At the day of your fifth anniversary?" He laughed mirthlessly. "You're so cruel." He accused. "Was that the reason why you were carrying a yellow water lily last time?"  

At that time, Wonshik had his head hung low letting his younger friend scold him. " Wonshik-ah. I'm out of here." Hongbin said one last time before turning his laptop off

--

Hongbin squeezed his self at the sea of people crowding at the area raising his bouquet of orange blossoms as to not damage the flowers. 

Well, days ago, after being suspended from work, he's got no choice but to help in the flower shop. The long awaited film festival cane and the flower became busier than ever before. A lot of flower orders was made from the locals and he could never felt more grateful for being suspended from work. Because then, he could help his mother on the shop. She finally see through his jest, earning him a smack on his chest as she was a while lot shorter than him. He and his father exchanged laughs when she started crying again, feeling guilty when she thought that he got fired from work. 

He waited for the girl to finally agree to the man's proposal so he could give her the orange blossoms the male ordered. Not long after, when the girl nodded her head yes, Hongbin squeezed his self out of the crowd, coming to the center to give her the bouquet, congratulating the two, before proceeding out of the scene. 

He was supposed to get out of the place when the booming from the night sky caught his attention. He looked up at awe at the fireworks display happening on top of him. Once again, he found himself smiling, enjoying his self at the scene unfolding. 

--

Hongbin rolled his right arm, in hopes of lessening the tension in his muscle after bumping into a stranger on his way home. Luckily, he didn't land on his unlike the girl, but the impact caused his arms to hurt so bad. 

Hongbin proceeded inside his room, spotting the cork board leaning on his bed. His brows raised when he finally know what to do with the board.

--

Hongbin straightened his back as he stared at the cork board installed on his wall, just above his study table. He smiled widely, observing the image he paint in the board. 

It showed the Firework display earlier, which was engraved in his mind. He finally decided to make it his freedom wall and stick pictures he snapped during his stay at the city. It was quite funny as he had lived there for eight years already but he just decided to capture memories now. All he needs now is to print the afternoon sky earlier. 

--

Hongbin plopped down on his bed after taking a shower. In his hurry, he forgot to place a check on the side if the customer's name, and he decided to do it now. His mother might end up going berserk if she thought that he hadn't deliver the orders yet. 

Opening the notebook, his brows met in confusion, at the contents. It wasn't on list. There was no list at all, what was written were paragraphs and bullets of places?

"This isn't mine." Hongbin mumbled as he turned the notebook upside down repeatedly, closing and opening it to look for the possible information about the owner. 

"Just where did I-" Hongbin knocked his head when he remembered picking up the female's notebook earlier. He looked at the closed book.

"We must have the same design." He grimaced before he played on his back, kicking his legs in frustration.

--

Several days later, Hongbin finally decided to visit a printing press to finally have the photo he snapped few days back printed and be the first entry in his freedom wall. 

He skipped down the stairs excited of his plans. Soon, he reached the bottom of the stairs, he frowned when he noticed the surroundings very quiet. Were his parents in the shop again?

He proceeded to the shop only to have his eyes bulging in their sockets when he saw the girl who was chasing him two days ago at their doorstep, police officers on both sides.

Crap, he's dead.

-🌵-

A/N: WAAAAAHHH Writing the cafe scene on the first chapter made me visualize Hongbin in real life so much (I'm squealing hahahahha). So the cafe worker was actually our Hongbinie. Also, another character was introduced, y scented Ravi in the house y 'all (plays scientist in the background).

How did you find the concept with flowers, yehey? Or neheigh?