Five

Who Are You?

Dawon and Eunbi are having a heated conversation in the living room. Eunbi is desperately holding onto Dawon's hands.

"I'll put more effort into remembering you," Eunbi says desperate. "Please don't go."

"How long has it been," Dawon asks. "You still can't remember me. It'll be best for us to go our separate ways. You love to go out and have fun right? Now you can go, and you won't have to worry about me stopping you." He removes her hands from his. "I wish you best of luck." Dawon turns around and exits the house.

Eunbi feels her heart breaking. Tears are flowing down her eyes. 

"I should've treated you better," Eunbi cries. "Why was I stupid to treat you like that?" She hangs her head and sniffles.

"Eunbi," Dawon calls her. "Eunbi."

She raises her head and sees Dawon lying in front of her. He looks concerned. 

Eunbi feels tears rolling down her eyes.

"Did you have a bad dream," Dawon asks.

"It was a dream," she asks in a calming manner. She wipes her tears away with the back of her hands. "What time is it?"

"2 in the morning."

She takes a deep breath to calm her down, but more tears fall down her eyes.

Dawon reaches over and wipes her tears away.

Eunbi looks at him sadly.

"Do you want a hug," Dawon asks.

Eunbi nods her head.

He puts his left arm under her head, and his right hand on her back. Dawon scoots closer to her and securely hugs her.

Eunbi rests her head on his chest.

They stay like that for a while.

"In my dream," Eunbi starts. 

She's finally calmed down.

Dawon pulls away from the hug a little and looks down at her.

"You were leaving me," Eunbi continues, "because I treated you badly, and I didn't want to remember our memories." She chokes on the last few words.

Dawon rests his forehead on hers. His eyes are closed and so are hers.

"I will never leave you," Dawon assures her. "No matter what, I'll make you remember me even if you don't want to because I love you."

Eunbi opens her eyes. 

Dawon is so close to her. His body heat is warming her up, and his arms are making her feel protected. He looks so reliable, so manly, so lovely.

This makes Eunbi fall in love with him. Her heart is increasing.

Dawon opens his eyes. 

Seeing Eunbi cry makes his heart break. He pulls her petite body closer to him.

"Tell me when you want me to let go," he says.

He closes his eyes again, and so does Eunbi.

"I love you," Eunbi says.

Dawon pulls away from the hug to be able to look down at Eunbi.

"What," he asks. "Can you say it one more time?"

"I love you," she repeats.

Eunbi rests her left hand on his cheek. She raises her head up and places her lips on his. Eunbi pulls away. 

Dawon is surprised that Eunbi just gave him a peck, but at the same time, he's so happy.

He leans down and takes her lips into his. Dawon turns them over, and now he's on top of her. He moves his lips on her, but he makes sure to kiss her softly. He's afraid, if he's too rough, he'll make her regret loving him. 

Eunbi has her arms around his neck. She is kissing him back.

Dawon pulls away from the kiss. He caresses her hair with his right hand, and props himself up with his left arm.

"I'm not sure you can tell," Dawon says. "But I'm so happy right now."

"I can tell," Eunbi replies. "Your face says at all." She cups his cheeks with her hands.

Dawon lies back down, and he keeps her in his arms.

 

Dawon and Eunbi entered the ice cream shop together. They both looked at the menu boards.

“What’s your favorite flavor,” Dawon asked. “Do they have it?”

Eunbi nodded her head. “Vanilla,” she replied.

“Mine is chocolate.”

He ordered them cones and paid for it. Then, they went to sit at a corner seat.

“Mmm,” Eunbi hummed.

“Is there anything else you want to do after this,” Dawon asked.

Eunbi thought. “Since this is our first date,” she started. “Is there anything you want to do?”

Dawon shook his head. “As long as I’m with you, I’m willing to do anything.”

Eunbi smiled. “Than, let’s go visit your college. Maybe it’ll help me make my college decision.”

“Sure.” 


 

Dawon invited Eunbi over to his house. The two of them were in the living room sitting on the couch. Dawon was on his laptop typing away while Eunbi was reading a book. She had her back leaning on the arm of the couch, and her legs resting on the cushions. Eunbi slightly moved the book away from her face and stared at Dawon.  

He was concentrated. His eyes never left the screen, and his fingers kept moving. 

“He’s so cool,” Eunbi told herself.

Dawon stopped for a second to fix his glasses before he started to type again.

“I know you want to look at me,” Dawon said. “But it’s getting hard to concentrate.”

“Sorry,” Eunbi replied. She covered her eyes with the book again, but soon, she moved the book again to look at him. 

Dawon felt her gaze again. “Am I really that good looking,” he asked.

She nodded her head. “No words can describe how good looking you are.”

Dawon removed his laptop from him to the coffee table sitting in front of them. He faced Eunbi. 

“Sorry,” Eunbi apologized. “I won’t bother you. Finish your work.”

She covered her eyes again with the book.

Dawon took his glasses off and sat them on top of his laptop. Dawon moved over to Eunbi and sat next to her. He removed her book away from her. 

“I’m done,” Dawon said.

Eunbi smiled.

“If you had to describe me in one word,” Dawon continued. “What word would it be?”

Eunbi thought. 

“Prince,” Eunbi said.

“Prince,” Dawon asked.

Eunbi nodded her head.

“You’re as handsome and as heroic as a disney prince,” Eunbi continued.

Dawon smiled. He felt his heart increase.

“Then,” Dawon said. “Will you be my princess?”

“I am your princess,” Eunbi replied.

“Forever? And be the queen to my children."

He reached into his pocket and took out a small black box. Dawon opened the box and showed Eunbi a diamond ring.

Eunbi’s mouth gaped open. Her eyes welled up with tears.

Dawon waited for her answer.

She nodded her head, and a tear fell from her eye.

Dawon inserted the ring into her ring finger. 

Eunbi cried and hugged Dawon. 

He smiled happily and hugged her back.

 

Eunbi wakes up from her slumber feeling so refreshed. She looks to the side where Dawon usually sleeps, and it’s empty. She stretches and smiles. Eunbi climbs out of bed and looks for Dawon. She finds him in the kitchen cooking. He's still in his pajamas and is wearing a pink apron.

"Dawon," Eunbi says. She stands next to him. 

"Good morning," he says. "Go wash up. Breakfast is almost ready."

She nods her head.

The two of them eat together at the dinner table.

"Dawon," Eunbi starts. "May I tell you something?"

"Go ahead," he says. 

"Remember back in elementary school when you were playing kickball and ripped your pants?"

"Of course I do. How can I not remember something so embarrassing? Why are you bringing that up?"

Eunbi just stares at him.

Dawon's eyes widen. "Did you just remember?"

Eunbi nods her head. 

"I remember everything," she says.

Dawon drops his utensils. He walks over to Eunbi and hugs her.

She puts her hands on his.

“When did this happen,” Dawon asks. His eyes are teary.

“This morning,” Eunbi replies. 

“This morning,” Dawon asks.

She looks up at him.

“I had a dream,” Eunbi says. “It sounds cheesy.” She chuckles. “But that dream helped me remember. It was all of our memories.”

Dawon tries not to cry.

“I even remember our wedding day,” Eunbi says. “You were so handsome. You’re still handsome.”

A tear escapes his eye.

“Why are you crying,” she asks. She wipes his tears away.

Dawon’s breath hitches, and he tries not to break down.

“Don’t cry,” Eunbi says. She stands up and hugs him. “Why are you crying?”

He hugs her back. “I’m just so happy,” he cries. “Thank you,” he cries. “Thank you for remembering.”

Eunbi smiles and tightens the hug. 

“Thank you for helping me remember,” Eunbi says. 

Eunbi breaks the hug, but Dawon still has his arms around her. She wipes his tears.

“From now on,” Eunbi continues. “I will never forget you.”

He nods his head.

“Even if I do,” Eunbi goes on. “I know you’ll help me remember again.”

“Because I love you,” Dawon says.

“I love you too.”

He presses his lips on her forehead.