Three

Who Are You?

 

The next day, Dawon is in the kitchen making breakfast. Eunbi is still fast asleep.

When she wakes up, the two of them eat together.

"When did you wake up," Eunbi asks.

"Around 8," Dawon replies.

"And you didn't eat until now?"

The time is ten.

"I was waiting for you," Dawon replies.

"You don't work today?"

"I'm working from home today. Is there anything you want to do?"

"No."

After breakfast, Dawon is sitting on the couch. The laptop is on his lap. He is typing away.

In the meantime, Eunbi is texting her friends. She is in the backyard.

"I'm bored," she texts. "Are you guys free?"

"I'm at work," most of her friends text back.

"I'm free," Sooyoung texts back.

"Want to go out," Eunbi asks.

"To where?"

"Clubbing."

"Is Dawon okay with that?"

"Everything will be fine. Let's go!"

"Okay!"

Eunbi prepares to go out. "I'm meeting with Sooyoung," Eunbi tells Dawon. She is carrying her bag and putting on her shoes.

"Where are you two going," Dawon asks.

"We're just hanging out." She finishes putting her shoes on. "Bye!" Eunbi heads out the door.

Dawon watches her leave. "Since it's Sooyoung," he tells himself. "I don't have to worry." Dawon goes back to work.

Sooyoung picks Eunbi up. 

"Before we go," Eunbi says. "I have to use the bathroom."

"Why didn't you go at home," Sooyoung asks.

"Because it's something I can't do at home."

"What do you mean?"

Eunbi comes out of the bathroom wearing a tight fitting red dress.

Sooyoung gasps. "You didn't tell Dawon did you?"

"If I did, he would've said no."

"I know you're going through something right now, but isn't this too much? How can you act exactly like you did when you were 18?"

Eunbi just smiles. "Let's go!"

"Maybe we're just hanging out," Sooyoung says. "What can go wrong?"

But everything goes really wrong. At the club, Eunbi is on the dance floor dancing with so many men. She's dancing with one right now, and he has his hands on her hips. 

Sooyoung can't stand to see it, so she calls Dawon.

"Hello," Dawon asks.

"Dawon, it's Sooyoung," she says.

"Yes."

"I'm at 21 right now with Eunbi. You should quickly come. She's dancing around with some man and acting reckless. I don't think it's going to end well if you don't come."

"I'll be there," Dawon replies. He hangs up. Dawon saves everything on his laptop and quickly heads out.

Sooyoung walks over to Eunbi and pulls her away.

"What are you doing," Eunbi asks over the loud music.

"Let's use the bathroom," Sooyoung shouts over the music. 

"I don't have to go!"

"Come on!" 

Sooyoung pulls Eunbi out of the crowd. They head to the bathroom together.

"I told you I don't have to use the bathroom," Eunbi says.

"How's my lipstick," Sooyoung asks.

Eunbi bends down and looks at Sooyoung's lips.

"It's fine," Eunbi replies. "Let's go back."

Sooyoung catches Eunbi's arm.

"What," Eunbi pouts.

"Maybe you shouldn't go back out there?" Sooyoung says.

"Why not?"

"Eunbi, remember that you're a married woman. You dancing with other men like that isn't okay. The you that you don't remember will be very upset with the you now." 

"That doesn't matter right now. What matters is that I'm having fun."

"You have to remember how much you love Dawon. You would never do anything to hurt him."

"That Eunbi is temporary gone. Once she comes back, she'll fix everything. Trust me."

Eunbi slips out.

"Eunbi, wait," Sooyoung calls. She sighs. "I'm so sorry Dawon."

Dawon enters the club. The loud music fills his ears, and the smell of sweaty people and alcohol fill his nose. He looks around the room for Eunbi

“Dawon,” Sooyoung calls. She runs over to him. “I’m so sorry,” she apologizes. “I didn’t know Eunbi was going to act like this. If I did, I wouldn’t have agreed to come.”

“It’s okay,” Dawon says. “It’s not your fault. Do you know where Eunbi is?”

“She’s at the bar.”

Dawon looks over at the bar and sees her sitting by herself.

“Thank you,” Dawon says. “I’m going to take her home, so you go home too.”

Sooyoung nods her head. “Thank you, Dawon.”

He nods his head. Dawon walks over to Eunbi.

A man sits next to Eunbi and hands her a drink. She smiles and takes it. 

Dawon feels fear and jealousy take over him. Dawon takes the drink from Eunbi and sets the drink on the counter.

Eunbi looks up and sees Dawon. She glares at him. “What are you doing,” she asks annoyed.

“Has no one ever told you not to take drinks that are opened,” Dawon asks. “Especially from strangers.”

Eunbi rolls her eyes.

“Who are you,” the man asks. “I saw this woman first.”

“This woman,” Dawon says. “Is my wife, so stay away from her.” Dawon takes Eunbi’s hand and helps her out of her chair. “Let’s go home,” he tells her calmly.

Eunbi pulls her hand out of Dawon’s. “I don’t want to go,” Eunbi says. “I’ll leave when I want to.”

“No,” Dawon says sternly. “We’re going home.” He takes her hand again, but she pulls her hand out of his. 

“No,” Eunbi says. She is frustrated, and him staying calm makes her more frustrated.

“Eunbi,” Dawon says.

“She said she doesn’t want to go with you,” the man says. He hops off his seat. “Leave her alone.” He takes Eunbi’s hand and pulls her to his side. 

This time, Eunbi doesn’t pull away.

Dawon feels hurt. He takes her hand again. “Eunbi, let’s go home,” he says still calm.

She pulls her hand away again, but this time, Dawon tightly holds onto her hand.

“Let me go,” Eunbi says.

The man tries to pull Eunbi away from Dawon.

“She says she doesn’t want to go with you,” the man says. “What part of that don’t you understand?’

“She is my legal wife,” Dawon says sternly. “If you don’t want to be in trouble with the law, let her go.”

The man lets go of Eunbi’s hand.

Dawon pulls Eunbi with him out of the club. Once they step out of the club, Eunbi forcibly pulls her hand out of Dawon’s. 

“What part of no don’t you get,” Eunbi asks angry.

Dawon turns around. “We’ll talk at home,” he says still calm. He takes off his blazer and puts it on her. He takes her to his car and heads home. 

Eunbi storms into the house.

Dawon follows her.

“You know what makes me even more mad,” Eunbi asks frustrated. “The way you’re so composed. How can you be so calm? How can you not raise your voice? Ever since I came into this house, you've always stayed so composed. I don't want a man who is so mature. I want a man who wants to go out and have fun with me.”

“And you,” Dawon asks. “How can you go out clubbing without telling me? What are you wearing? I've tried to be understanding of you. I'm trying very hard not to raise my voice at you because I don't want you to be upset.”

“I just wanted to have fun.”

“And you can have fun. I'm not stopping you from going out to be with your friends, but dancing with other men? Taking drinks from strangers? What if they slipped something in your drink? What would've happened if I didn't show up?"

"Nothing would have happened."

"How do you know?"

"I just do."

"Men are wolves, but men at clubs are worse than wolves."

"Who are you to control me?"

"I'm your husband." Dawon raises his voice. "I'm your husband, and you're my wife. You can't go around wearing that and flirting with other men." He takes a deep breath to calm himself down. "I'm trying to be very patient with you, but if this continues, I'll be more than upset." Dawon walks away.

Eunbi is fuming. She wants to argue back, but something inside her is telling her to stop. 

"You're in the wrong too," her conscious tells her.

The next day, Eunbi and Dawon are at home. The two of them are not speaking to each other. Eunbi is in the bedroom while Dawon is in the kitchen cooking. When he is done, He ties up the garbage bag and takes out the garbage. 

“Gosh,” Eunbi sighs  “I can’t lock myself up in the bedroom for the rest of my life.” But thinking about yesterday makes her angry. Eunbi sighs annoyed. She gathers all her courage to exit the room, so she can apologize to Dawon. Eunbi enters the living room, but Dawon isn’t there.

Eunbi looks around and sees the front door wide open. She can see Dawon talking to a woman. He is smiling at her.

Eunbi can feel jealousy rise in her.

The woman leaves, and Dawon bids her goodbye. He enters the house and sees Eunbi glaring at him.

“You didn’t eat yet right,” Dawon asks. He walks pass her to go to the kitchen. “Lunch is ready.”

Eunbi follows him.

“Who was that woman,” she asks.

“I don’t know her,” Dawon replies. “She was asking for directions.”

Eunbi growls silently. "Asking for directions," she asks.

He nods his head. "Sit down," he says.

They sit together.

Dawon starts eating while Eunbi is poking at her food.

"Is something wrong," Dawon asks. "Do you not feel good?"

Eunbi puts her utensils down and stands up. She walks to the bedroom and closes the door behind her.

"I'm mad," she talks to herself. "Why am I mad? I shouldn't be bad, but I'm mad." She ruffles her hair. "I don't even know who he is, but I'm mad. Seeing him talk to another woman makes me mad. Why?" She is frustrated. 

Dawon knocks on the door. "Eunbi," he calls from behind the door. "Are you okay?"

She stares at the door.

"Eunbi," he calls.

"Leave me alone," she replies.

Eunbi sits on the bed.

"Want to talk," he asks.

"Leave me alone," Eunbi repeats.

Dawon frowns. He turns around and starts walking away.

Eunbi is fuming. No matter how much she thinks about it, she can't seem to control her heart. Eunbi stands up and charges to the door. She opens the door and sees Dawon's back side facing her.

"I'm mad," Eunbi yells at Dawon.

He stops in his tracks and turns around.

"I'm so mad at you that I want to slap you," Eunbi continues. 

Dawon is stunned. He's never seen her get jealous before.

"You don't know that woman," Eunbi asks. "Then, why were you smiling at her?" 

She ruffles her hair again.

"I'm mad at the fact that I'm mad," Eunbi continues. "I have no idea who you are, but why does my heart ache?"

He takes a step towards her.

"No," she says stopping Dawon. "Don't come any closer." She is still feeling frustrated. "Is this how you felt when you saw me with another man," she asks him.

He nods his head.

"Ugh," she growls.

She heads back inside the bedroom and slams the door shut.